The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I start a business now? (I am 15 years old)

Erix

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 26, 2022
I still procrastinate much and i do not know if i should start now, i know that i have to educate myself first by reading books and looking at posts in this forum but after reading a lot of books should i try to start? My brain says excuses like you are too young or wait till you are 18. I am also scared that i will not find a good idea to sell because right now my brain is empty of ideas.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Trait

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Jun 22, 2021
Bangladesh
cute cat.
Don't you have school? focus on that first. Afterwards if you have free time and feel like it yeah maybe start a business or something but afaik 15 is too young to sign papers so you would need someone else to sign them for you.
If you would ask me I would advise getting into self-improvement instead of a business at this age, maybe start at 17.

JustinBoshans

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 14, 2013
I still procrastinate much and i do not know if i should start now, i know that i have to educate myself first by reading books and looking at posts in this forum but after reading a lot of books should i try to start? My brain says excuses like you are too young or wait till you are 18. I am also scared that i will not find a good idea to sell because right now my brain is empty of ideas.
The first book you should read is either The Millionaire Fastlane, or Unscripted.

The next step I would take is to identify a problem or a need that you can begin working to solve.

If you need startup capital you could get a summer job, or try the Gary Vee way and flip things from yard sales, or even sell some of your old stuff.

JustinBoshans

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 14, 2013
Don't spend too much time just educating yourself unless you are going to actually apply it. I have notebooks upon notebooks full of information that is now outdated because I spent years just taking notes and learning instead of actually applying the information.

Find a need or a problem you can solve and start building the solution to that thing. This process will kind of lead you on the path to what you need to learn to get to the next step.

Jessica Reid

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 9, 2020
New Jersey
I agree with everyone else...make sure you read MJs Books first...then try to identify some problem that you can solve. If you're drawing a blank, start working around the house, get a summer job, or start playing outside, and keep your eyes open for problems that you find along the way that you can improve on.

I'll give you a really simple example to drive this point home: Think about the person that invented swimming pool goggles. How would that person have come up with the idea of goggles if he didn't first have the experience of jumping in a pool first and swimming underwater? Had he not jumped in and started swimming, he wouldn't have realized how difficult it was to see underwater and think of a very cheap solution to fix it. No amount of reading in his bedroom and praying in a dark room for ideas would have helped him discover that. It's by DOING and getting out into the world that problems begin to pop up and ideas for how you may be able to improve upon it becomes to take form in your mind.

I hope that helps :) And gosh I'm so jealous of you. I wish I had become enlightened about the Fastlane when I was 15 years old. Oh wells. Good luck! Rooting for you! And nope you're not too young to start a business.

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany

I suggest you realize a healthy ratio of input to output. Input is consuming books, blogs, forum and videos, so basically everything to educate yourself. Output is buildiing your product, talking to customers and everything else that a producer does. You should at least have a 1 to 1 ratio and later 1 to 4. Meaning for every hour you spend consuming business content, you spend four hours producing your business.

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Hey man, being someone that got interested in this stuff when I was 15 too, there's a lot of stuff I wish my younger self knew (I'm 19 now and finally started taking real action).

If I remember back personally, the times when I was looking at other people comparing myself to other people and feeling trapped because I had no clue how the hell to learn about business were some of the most stressful times in my life.

I created dropshipping websites, wasted thousands of dollars, procrastinated, felt like an absolute failure, felt like I just wasn't "wired" for entrepreneurship and I envied people who had those (bullsh*t) "Natural Entrepreneurial Tendencies"

I was constantly trying to figure out what the hell to do all day and would sometimes spend whole days in my room stressing like no one's business about what the hell I needed to do if I wanted to make a business.

I would constantly think to myself "Rich people are keeping everything secret.. I'll never know.." but the thing is, I'd never picked up a book before. I was completely ignorant and expected some miracle person to come out and give me all of the information I needed to know.

Simply put, I wasted a LOT of time back then.

When I put down my ignorance for the first time and started reading, all of the information about business/entrepreneurship hit me like a truck. I consumed (and still do consume) literally everything that someone I trust recommends to me.

It was like.. Wow - me not knowing anything about entrepreneurship and being stressed about it is just like an overweight dude being ignorant about reading books about fitness to find out how stuff works..

When I found out there's actual practical things you can do in business, I now understand the real definition of "work hard".

After educating myself - I now understand what things are a waste of time. Making a website for a product you haven't validated is a waste of time. Asking your family if you have a good business idea is a waste of time. Mindlessly responding to instagram comments is a waste of time..

I'm very new to this stuff, but here's the one thing that gives me mental clarity:

Get Sales
Deliver
Build a System To Scale
Get More Sales

And sales just means talking to people. You might not know it, but you have a network of people you've interacted with. Something I did recently that helped me out is literally just make a list of everyone I know and ask them if they know anyone who needs my service.

Anyway, hope this simple message saves you some years man lol

Last edited:

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
F*ck school

Go advertise and start offering some services that people will pay big bucks for.

Get a broom and a ladder and a leaf blower and go clean off peoples' roofs and make over 10k a month without a boss.

Go back to school and tell all your teachers they're stupid and you make more money than them.

Buy a 67 mustang with your own money when you turn 16

Hit the gym and date every hot chick in your school.

Use your cash for other business ideas

When you get rolling with a business that you can scale, move out, get a sick house and be a badass by the time you're 19.

All this stuff is totally doable and one of my dreams is that some teenager actually says "F*ck it, I'll listen to this dude" and actually does it and makes 200k a year when he's still a teenager.

Meanwhile almost everyone else will read it and go "interesting idea!" and then go back to being a nerd and becoming an office worker for 35k a year and then when they're 40 they write an introductory post here like "hey guys, I'm looking to get into the fastlane, any tips?!"

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
1) Stop looking for "ideas"... look for people to help instead.

Business is simple: Help people. Get paid. Help more people.

2) Stop trying to consume your way onto team producer too.

3) Start by providing some service.

It could be something physical such as cleaning roofs like Johnny Boy suggests.

Or it could be something online such as video editing like @mikecarlucci does (check out his marketplace ad).

4) Mindset.

You're old enough.
You're smart enough.
You know enough.

Next time you worry you're "not enough", say to yourself:

"I AM enough. Because I say I am!"

5) You're not too young.

Our 14 year old does reports for our clients every Monday morning. He'll start building ad campaigns for clients soon. If he does then I'll get our 11 year old to do the reports. They're more than capable.

When I figure out what style of video ads work for our clients then I'll train them (and their 10 year old brother) how to create the videos... which they're super keen on doing.

I pay them because it helps me.

You're not too young to help people.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
Don't go into the self-help, self-improvement BS. Jump straight into action and do everything that you want to do right now.

Don't get too attached to the idea that you're 15. Time flies unbelievably fast, even though you can't really grasp this because your brain is not fully developed yet and you live with the illusion that everything will stay the same forever. It won't.

You're very lucky to be on this forum and have this ambition at your age. Now it's the perfect time to do everything you want. You will be able to learn things more quickly than most adults, so you're actually at a huge advantage. The only condition is that you start taking action immediately and keep working until you get the desired results. As I've said, life goes by very quickly.

enelsonbrantley

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 11, 2022
F*ck school

Go advertise and start offering some services that people will pay big bucks for.

Get a broom and a ladder and a leaf blower and go clean off peoples' roofs and make over 10k a month without a boss.

Go back to school and tell all your teachers they're stupid and you make more money than them.

When you get rolling with a business that you can scale, move out, get a sick house and be a badass by the time you're 19.

All this stuff is totally doable and one of my dreams is that some teenager actually says "F*ck it, I'll listen to this dude" and actually does it and makes 200k a year when he's still a teenager.

Meanwhile almost everyone else will read it and go "interesting idea!" and then go back to being a nerd and becoming an office worker for 35k a year and then when they're 40 they write an introductory post here like "hey guys, I'm looking to get into the fastlane, any tips?!"
I’m a 16 year old who wants to just this.

I read your execution thread and was super inspired by it and want to save this winter from my job and start my own service business in the spring. However the only thing that worries me and I just can’t seem to find a way around is legal issues.

I have already talked to a hardworking friend who said they will mow lawns or whatever work I find success with, but there seem to be so many legal hurdles in my way. Based on my research I can’t even form an LLC, setup payroll, and countless other things that require you to be 18. The only possible solution I’ve thought of would be to have everything in my parents’ names but they are not very supportive of my entrepreneurial endeavors so I’m not sure how feasible this is.

I just wanted to know your thoughts on how I can work around this as I’m really struggling to find a way myself. I know I could just handle everything in cash but this means I couldn’t take advantage of automatic withdrawals from customer accounts or get them on annual contracts which you attribute a lot of your success too. Thanks!

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
I joined this forum when I turned 17 (18 now). I remember the first year I just talked and talked and talked. I pretended to do something but I was just being "busy."

My advice? Start a business if you have capital. Learn a skill and specialize in it. Build your personal brand around that skill on LinkedIn and start getting leads.

Take my advice with a grain of salt. There are others who would be better able to guide you.

I too have to wait till I'm 18 so I can get my freelancing accounts unblocked. In the meantime, I've started building a personal brand on LinkedIn around a specific skill (Amazon FBA).

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I’m a 16 year old who wants to just this.

I read your execution thread and was super inspired by it and want to save this winter from my job and start my own service business in the spring. However the only thing that worries me and I just can’t seem to find a way around is legal issues.

I have already talked to a hardworking friend who said they will mow lawns or whatever work I find success with, but there seem to be so many legal hurdles in my way. Based on my research I can’t even form an LLC, setup payroll, and countless other things that require you to be 18. The only possible solution I’ve thought of would be to have everything in my parents’ names but they are not very supportive of my entrepreneurial endeavors so I’m not sure how feasible this is.

I just wanted to know your thoughts on how I can work around this as I’m really struggling to find a way myself. I know I could just handle everything in cash but this means I couldn’t take advantage of automatic withdrawals from customer accounts or get them on annual contracts which you attribute a lot of your success too. Thanks!
You can organize an LLC in certain states under 18
You can then register that company to operate in your state

Think of it this way....

Let's say you try. Do you actually think it's impossible? Of course not. Do you think someone's going to bust down your door and raid your house? Of course not? What is the actual fear then? It doesn't exist. There's ways around everything. There's. Ways. Around. Everything.

Probably once a week I do something where some nerd would say "bbbbut its sususupposed to bbbbe done like this!"

If you gotta just say 'F*ck it' and go for it anyways, who cares. If you have to convince an 18 year old to sign something for you, who cares.

I would try to avoid forming the actual business in your parents name because legal liability is real, and they will get letters at their house regarding their newly formed business and they will be pretty pissed if you do that without telling them. But, it's a last resort if you need to do it.

Tell your parents it's a school project and for a charity where you learn to form a company and set up a payment processor. You could tell them you need "xyz" info from them to setup quickbooks. You'll need account numbers for a bank account to deposit the money into.

You won't be able to enforce contracts and I've never been in a courtroom to sue over a contract anyways (yet), so you can make them sign unenforceable contracts and you would have the same results as me, funny enough.

You need company formation, a bank account, advertising, and payroll. Those are the hurdles of being a minor.

You can use a payroll service possibly. The employees are technically employed at a separate company and you are paying that company for a "service". They handle all of your withholding and compliance and you aren't the employer technically. That's basically what a PEO service is. 1659241729615.png

You COULD just go do some roof cleaning and have customers pay you cash. Super simple, no employees needed, you can make 10k in a month working part time. Literally something like 20 roofs at $500 and it takes you 3 hours each time.

$425 and this is a 20 minute job.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

Does it take intelligence to do this? No.
A degree? No.
Any real skill? No.
Sales experience? No.
Is it dangerous? Don't go on steep roofs. This is easily walkable.
Do you need to be 18 even? They won't check your ID. Maybe someone will, but most won't.

In your spot I would use one to pay for growing the other. Make 10k cleaning off roofs, spend 5k in a month on facebook ads for lawn care and get 4k/mo worth of customers, hire an employee and run more ads the next month. Get up to 13k/mo with one crew, make 7k profit from one lawn care crew, make 10k/mo yourself doing roofs.

You could have 3 employees, one doing roofs and 2 doing lawns and if the roof guy doesn't show up, just reschedule, no problem. If a lawn employee doesn't show up, the roof guy can cover so you don't fall behind.

3 employees would cost you like 11k a month. You could get to 23k/mo between roofs and lawn care customers at full capacity for one crew + roof guy. After other expenses you could take home 10k a month without doing any labor yourself.

Theoretically you could be in a somewhat similar spot to me, but by the time you're 18 instead of being 25. I blew it by playing college baseball and then selling cars and then growing a little slower than I could have. Would've saved me over 5 years.

The EASIEST thing would be doing the roof cleaning and making $500+ a day in cash. Stupid simple. It'll be the best thing to do at first because you'll be more likely to see results near instantly and you'll be like "holy shit that guy was right".

enelsonbrantley

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 11, 2022
You can organize an LLC in certain states under 18
You can then register that company to operate in your state

Think of it this way....

Let's say you try. Do you actually think it's impossible? Of course not. Do you think someone's going to bust down your door and raid your house? Of course not? What is the actual fear then? It doesn't exist. There's ways around everything. There's. Ways. Around. Everything.

Probably once a week I do something where some nerd would say "bbbbut its sususupposed to bbbbe done like this!"

If you gotta just say 'F*ck it' and go for it anyways, who cares. If you have to convince an 18 year old to sign something for you, who cares.

I would try to avoid forming the actual business in your parents name because legal liability is real, and they will get letters at their house regarding their newly formed business and they will be pretty pissed if you do that without telling them. But, it's a last resort if you need to do it.

Tell your parents it's a school project and for a charity where you learn to form a company and set up a payment processor. You could tell them you need "xyz" info from them to setup quickbooks. You'll need account numbers for a bank account to deposit the money into.

You won't be able to enforce contracts and I've never been in a courtroom to sue over a contract anyways (yet), so you can make them sign unenforceable contracts and you would have the same results as me, funny enough.

You need company formation, a bank account, advertising, and payroll. Those are the hurdles of being a minor.

You can use a payroll service possibly. The employees are technically employed at a separate company and you are paying that company for a "service". They handle all of your withholding and compliance and you aren't the employer technically. That's basically what a PEO service is. View attachment 44559

You COULD just go do some roof cleaning and have customers pay you cash. Super simple, no employees needed, you can make 10k in a month working part time. Literally something like 20 roofs at $500 and it takes you 3 hours each time.

$425 and this is a 20 minute job.

View attachment 44560

View attachment 44561

Does it take intelligence to do this? No.
A degree? No.
Any real skill? No.
Sales experience? No.
Is it dangerous? Don't go on steep roofs. This is easily walkable.
Do you need to be 18 even? They won't check your ID. Maybe someone will, but most won't.

In your spot I would use one to pay for growing the other. Make 10k cleaning off roofs, spend 5k in a month on facebook ads for lawn care and get 4k/mo worth of customers, hire an employee and run more ads the next month. Get up to 13k/mo with one crew, make 7k profit from one lawn care crew, make 10k/mo yourself doing roofs.

You could have 3 employees, one doing roofs and 2 doing lawns and if the roof guy doesn't show up, just reschedule, no problem. If a lawn employee doesn't show up, the roof guy can cover so you don't fall behind.

3 employees would cost you like 11k a month. You could get to 23k/mo between roofs and lawn care customers at full capacity for one crew + roof guy. After other expenses you could take home 10k a month without doing any labor yourself.

Theoretically you could be in a somewhat similar spot to me, but by the time you're 18 instead of being 25. I blew it by playing college baseball and then selling cars and then growing a little slower than I could have. Would've saved me over 5 years.

The EASIEST thing would be doing the roof cleaning and making $500+ a day in cash. Stupid simple. It'll be the best thing to do at first because you'll be more likely to see results near instantly and you'll be like "holy shit that guy was right".
Thank you so much. You really made me realize I need to stop asking for permission and say F*ck it. For the first time in my life I actually feel in control of my destiny and it’s awesome.

I think this is what I an going to go after. I actually play baseball myself and was planning to play in college but learning about the fastlane has changed that goal.

If I have any questions I can’t answer through research can I ask you for advice?

Jessica Reid

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 9, 2020
New Jersey
Don't go into the self-help, self-improvement BS. Jump straight into action and do everything that you want to do right now.

Don't get too attached to the idea that you're 15. Time flies unbelievably fast, even though you can't really grasp this because your brain is not fully developed yet and you live with the illusion that everything will stay the same forever. It won't.

You're very lucky to be on this forum and have this ambition at your age. Now it's the perfect time to do everything you want. You will be able to learn things more quickly than most adults, so you're actually at a huge advantage. The only condition is that you start taking action immediately and keep working until you get the desired results. As I've said, life goes by very quickly.
Okay so we need a clap emoji....cuz that's all I wanted to do (*clap clap clap clap clap*) in response to this comment.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Thank you so much. You really made me realize I need to stop asking for permission and say F*ck it. For the first time in my life I actually feel in control of my destiny and it’s awesome.

I think this is what I an going to go after. I actually play baseball myself and was planning to play in college but learning about the fastlane has changed that goal.

If I have any questions I can’t answer through research can I ask you for advice?
Yeah shoot me a message anytime happy to hop on a call too

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
322%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
F*ck school

I want to start this but dont you need to use a bunch of chemicals to clean their roofs? Thats what everyone was saying online when i searched up how to clean roofs. Why would they pay someone just to blow the leaves off of it? I was also thinking about starting a pressure washing business because people say they make a lot of money. But dont I need insurance for both of these things? What happens if i accidently damage their property? I dont know if Im just making excuses because im scared to start or what (im 15 BTW)

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I want to start this but dont you need to use a bunch of chemicals to clean their roofs? Thats what everyone was saying online when i searched up how to clean roofs. Why would they pay someone just to blow the leaves off of it? I was also thinking about starting a pressure washing business because people say they make a lot of money. But dont I need insurance for both of these things? What happens if i accidently damage their property? I dont know if Im just making excuses because im scared to start or what (im 15 BTW)
That’s soft washing. It’s literally just bleach. And because they’re a woman, old, or make too much money to want to go up on their own roof.

Don’t think that way about business. Simple things can people can do themselves are still billion dollar industries. They probably just think “if there’s moss I should hire a pro”

You won’t damage their roof by brushing off moss. If you break a gutter just fix it. You don’t need insurance.

Easy to think like that when you’re 15 I was the same that’s why I’m telling you it’s not a big deal.

When you get older you look back and think “man if I only knew nothing was a big deal I would’ve went so much harder and I’d be 10x better off”

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
322%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
That’s soft washing. It’s literally just bleach. And because they’re a woman, old, or make too much money to want to go up on their own roof.

Don’t think that way about business. Simple things can people can do themselves are still billion dollar industries. They probably just think “if there’s moss I should hire a pro”

You won’t damage their roof by brushing off moss. If you break a gutter just fix it. You don’t need insurance.

Easy to think like that when you’re 15 I was the same that’s why I’m telling you it’s not a big deal.

When you get older you look back and think “man if I only knew nothing was a big deal I would’ve went so much harder and I’d be 10x better off”
thanks for replying man! should i just print up some flyers and then go blow people's roofs? how much should i charge? also i feel like im scamming them if im just gonna blow the stuff off their roof. dont they want me to make their roof super clean?

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
thanks for replying man! should i just print up some flyers and then go blow people's roofs? how much should i charge? also i feel like im scamming them if im just gonna blow the stuff off their roof. dont they want me to make their roof super clean?
No run Facebook ads it’s way better.

And yeah you should feel like you’re scamming them. That’s because you’re a kid and think $500 is a lot of money. You need to change how you think about money. You will always make what you’re self esteem says you’re worth. When people get roof cleaning quotes they say the other bids were for like over a grand. You’re helping these people.

And it’s a bit of work to brush off moss it’s not just a leaf blower it involves some elbow grease.

You do clean it off.

26B4FE9D-5E99-4E05-9EEE-5DC1282D82E2.jpeg

CE0580DB-9BDF-4FCF-8FC5-82A2F9FCA85E.jpeg

One like this that would take you 3-4 hours you should charge like $700+

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Roofs are good because 1. People know it costs more when there’s a roof involved so they expect to drop hundreds and maybe thousands for anything roof related. 2. Less messy actually 3. They aren’t going to be a bitchy karen and complain. They’re so happy to not need to go up there themselves. 3. Leads are actually pretty damn cheap.

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
322%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada

And yeah you should feel like you’re scamming them. That’s because you’re a kid and think $500 is a lot of money. You need to change how you think about money. You will always make what you’re self esteem says you’re worth. When people get roof cleaning quotes they say the other bids were for like over a grand. You’re helping these people.

And it’s a bit of work to brush off moss it’s not just a leaf blower it involves some elbow grease.

You do clean it off.

View attachment 44666

View attachment 44667

ok ima just listen to what youre saying and get straight to it. if i have any questions can i msg you?

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
322%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada

You do clean it off.

View attachment 44666

View attachment 44667

als

You do clean it off.

View attachment 44666

View attachment 44667

nevermind i cant even do it anymore. I just told my mom about it and she started telling me all the reasons why i shouldnt. she said that roofs dont need to be cleaned (idk i live in canada), people clean their roofs themselves, and she told me to go get a real job instead. what am i supposed to do now? in the past ive shovelled my neighbours driveway in the winter but i got paid peanuts. ive been brainstorming business ideas for 1 week after i finished reading unscripted but they are all shit and my mom probably wont let me.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
als

nevermind i cant even do it anymore. I just told my mom about it and she started telling me all the reasons why i shouldnt. she said that roofs dont need to be cleaned (idk i live in canada), people clean their roofs themselves, and she told me to go get a real job instead. what am i supposed to do now? in the past ive shovelled my neighbours driveway in the winter but i got paid peanuts. ive been brainstorming business ideas for 1 week after i finished reading unscripted but they are all shit and my mom probably wont let me.

Just write down all the reasons she doesn’t believe in you then have her sign it and date it so you can frame it and rub it in her face in a couple years

I did that to my dad when he talked shit about my ideas and said I was delusional. Now I make much more than him. Next year I’ll almost be making what he makes in a year in a month

Wtf does your mom know about making money? Go tell her to stfu and go make 10k in a month and laugh at her

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
322%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
Just write down all the reasons she doesn’t believe in you then have her sign it and date it so you can frame it and rub it in her face in a couple years

I did that to my dad when he talked shit about my ideas and said I was delusional. Now I make much more than him. Next year I’ll almost be making what he makes in a year in a month

Wtf does your mom know about making money? Go tell her to stfu and go make 10k in a month and laugh at her
You are wrong! My mom knows a lot about making money! she saves the money from her 9-5 and invests it in low risk stocks to get rich through compound interest so she can hopefully retire at 65!

that would be nice to do but the problem is that she will NOT ALLOW me to do it. i can probably just tell her im going somewhere else but then go clean the roofs but ima still need to take all the equipment out of the shed and carry it to the persons house by foot so shes gonna see that. honestly i cant see any ways for me to make any money. anything i do ima need my moms permission for it. like even if i were to create a youtube channel i cant even get paid because im underage. i cant even create a pay pal account. at this rate ima be working a shitty 9-5

i guess i could just outsource the work to one of my friends maybe? but that will be even harder than me going to do it myself because ill need to manage them, supply them with the equipment and trust them to take the cash from the customer

enelsonbrantley

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 11, 2022
als

You are wrong! My mom knows a lot about making money! she saves the money from her 9-5 and invests it in low risk stocks to get rich through compound interest so she can hopefully retire at 65!

that would be nice to do but the problem is that she will NOT ALLOW me to do it. i can probably just tell her im going somewhere else but then go clean the roofs but ima still need to take all the equipment out of the shed and carry it to the persons house by foot so shes gonna see that. honestly i cant see any ways for me to make any money. anything i do ima need my moms permission for it. like even if i were to create a youtube channel i cant even get paid because im underage. i cant even create a pay pal account. at this rate ima be working a shitty 9-5

i guess i could just outsource the work to one of my friends maybe? but that will be even harder than me going to do it myself because ill need to manage them, supply them with the equipment and trust them to take the cash from the customer
My mom had the exact same reaction when I told her my plans and told me she just would not have it while I was under 18. It’s obviously not practical to just get emancipated and move out, so we just have to adjust. I don’t know if your’s is against all businesses or just ones that she sees as “risky” but I would recommend trying to convince her on a slightly worse paying but less “dangerous” service. I got mine to agree to window cleaning and I just started running ads for it. Pay is a bit less than cleaning roofs because people don’t have the same fear of their windows but it’s still 20X what you’ll make at any job for teens.

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
322%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
My mom had the exact same reaction when I told her my plans and told me she just would not have it while I was under 18. It’s obviously not practical to just get emancipated and move out, so we just have to adjust. I don’t know if your’s is against all businesses or just ones that she sees as “risky” but I would recommend trying to convince her on a slightly worse paying but less “dangerous” service. I got mine to agree to window cleaning and I just started running ads for it. Pay is a bit less than cleaning roofs because people don’t have the same fear of their windows but it’s still 20X what you’ll make at any job for teens.
if she doesnt believe i can do it, then she will automatically shoot my idea down. If i do snow shovelling or lawn mowing she'll say yes because that sounds realistic and a lot of teens do that but if its something like window cleaning, car painting, or pressure washing then she will think that i cant do it and she would just advise me to get a job. the thing is, i was offered a job for 20CAD/h which is $5 over the minimum wage but i said no because im not tryna value my time that low. because i declined the job, my mom will just think that im lazy and want to make money without doing hard work if i say i want to make money earning windows.

I think another factor is that she doesnt want me doing tough labour. She thinks its ridiculous for me to turn down a nice $20/h job to go do labour instead

Another thing is that i care too much about what my family thinks. Like i obviously dont want them to think poorly about me and now that i told my mom about cleaning roofs shes gonna tell the rest of my family and they will all criticize me because im not following the script

enelsonbrantley

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 11, 2022
if she doesnt believe i can do it, then she will automatically shoot my idea down. If i do snow shovelling or lawn mowing she'll say yes because that sounds realistic and a lot of teens do that but if its something like window cleaning, car painting, or pressure washing then she will think that i cant do it and she would just advise me to get a job. the thing is, i was offered a job for 20CAD/h which is $5 over the minimum wage but i said no because im not tryna value my time that low. because i declined the job, my mom will just think that im lazy and want to make money without doing hard work if i say i want to make money earning windows.

I think another factor is that she doesnt want me doing tough labour. She thinks its ridiculous for me to turn down a nice $20/h job to go do labour instead

Another thing is that i care too much about what my family thinks. Like i obviously dont want them to think poorly about me and now that i told my mom about cleaning roofs shes gonna tell the rest of my family and they will all criticize me because im not following the script
Yeah I feel you on not thinking you can do anything outside of what average teenagers do. I say just run the ads and show her people are willing to pay you serious money. Then just ask to do your service for free once on your house to show you can do it.

I make $14/hr at my job right now and I know there will be hell when I say I am quitting it once I have steady income. However, I think it’s a lot less painful to face criticism and doubt from people you know than it is to be cripplingly mediocre and delay working towards your vision until you’re 18. But I still really don’t know shit so definitely take what I say with a grain of salt.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I have a headache trying to wrap my head around how what your MOM thinks actually matters.

WHO GIVES A F*ck WHAT YOUR MOM THINKS

Tell her it’s a school project for charity and you have to go volunteer brushing moss off of a driveway or whatever for old bitches at a nursing home.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
Really? Do you want to be rich and young or rich and old? If you want to enjoy your riches without a receding hairline, begin now.

Just do it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.