The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I learn accounting before building a business & how should I familiarize myself in my new community.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
I'm currently 15 year old in high school, in Australia and I just read all of MJ's books. I'm kinda asking myself the practicality and the usefulness of the lessons they teach in school, the concepts they teach in school don't seem practical or useful when I have a business to me. I always ask myself, "How can this help me" & "Why am I learning this" and see if this can help me in life. I also stress myself with confirming the lessons they teach as I like to think for myself and want to get the answer from myself rather than someone else.

I want to start a business but am concerned about accounting as I heard that it's crucial to learn accounting and it's the first thing an entrepreneur should learn. I was wondering should I learn accounting before I start a business?

I also moved in my new home recently so I'm not recognized by my community so I was also wondering how to get my new community to recognize me?

(I'm 15, so please correct me if I'm saying/doing something BS, would appreciate the wisdom from this forum :) )

TLDR;
Should I learn accounting before I start a business?
How to get my new community to recognize me?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I'm currently 15 year old in high school, in Australia and I just read all of MJ's books. I'm kinda asking myself the practicality and the usefulness of the lessons they teach in school, the concepts they teach in school don't seem practical or useful when I have a business to me. I always ask myself, "How can this help me" & "Why am I learning this" and see if this can help me in life. I also stress myself with confirming the lessons they teach as I like to think for myself and want to get the answer from myself rather than someone else.

I want to start a business but am concerned about accounting as I heard that it's crucial to learn accounting and it's the first thing an entrepreneur should learn. I was wondering should I learn accounting before I start a business?

I also moved in my new home recently so I'm not recognized by my community so I was also wondering how to get my new community to recognize me?

(I'm 15, so please correct me if I'm saying/doing something BS, would appreciate the wisdom from this forum :) )

TLDR;

No, you don't need to learn accounting unless you want to become an accountant. You just need some basic principles, how to work out profit & loss, cashflow, budgets, etc.

If you want to know how to use a spreadsheet and do basic business accounting, join Udemy or similar and take a cheap $20 course.

The biggest skills you can learn right now are how to identify a problem, how to research effectively, how to market and sell your product/service.

Not sure about your next question, recognised for what? Just get out there and meet people I suppose.

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
No, you don't need to learn accounting unless you want to become an accountant. You just need some basic principles, how to work out profit & loss, cashflow, budgets, etc.

If you want to know how to use a spreadsheet and do basic business accounting, join Udemy or similar and take a cheap $20 course.

The biggest skills you can learn right now are how to identify a problem, how to research effectively, how to market and sell your product/service.

Not sure about your next question, recognised for what? Just get out there and meet people I suppose.
I was thinking of saying if I need to know everyone in my community first so then I can start my business but then I realized that I can literally just go to people's houses and ask them if they need their grass cut or their walls cleaned, regardless if I know them or not. Sometimes I can answer my own questions if I thought hard about it

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I was thinking of saying if I need to know everyone in my community first so then I can start my business but then I realized that I can literally just go to people's houses and ask them if they need their grass cut or their walls cleaned, regardless if I know them or not. Sometimes I can answer my own questions if I thought hard about it

That's cool, sometimes it takes saying a question out loud, or writing it down, before you realise you know the answer. Also the process of asking questions will tune your mind and get you asking even better ones.

So yes I agree, just get out there and start asking around your local community. Also as you're doing that, keep your eye out for any other common problems you see, maybe they need leaves clearing from their gutters as well, or their windows cleaned.

Keep asking questions though!

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore

TLDR;
What can you sell to your peers who have pocket money?

I remember selling Digimon and Pokémon cards as a kid.

There are always some kids who are selling something.

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
What can you sell to your peers who have pocket money?

I remember selling Digimon and Pokémon cards as a kid.

There are always some kids who are selling something.
Funny thing is, selling something in my school is considered illegal and it can involve the police. My friend sells can drinks and got caught once. It involved police and I don't know about what happened

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Funny thing is, selling something in my school is considered illegal and it can involve the police. My friend sells can drinks and got caught once. It involved police and I don't know about what happened
Good you can study about laws and regulation in your place.

But selling things in school, though could be prohibited by the school, should not be illegal in Australia.

Illegal means something against the statutory laws.

When it involves police most likely there are illegal things like selling stolen items or something.

You start with questions and research about it.

I remember that for U12 elementary schools it is tricky as they are worried about kids exploiting others selling overpriced items. For older kids is is free market.

Last edited:

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
Good you can study about laws and regulation in your place.

But selling things in school, though could be prohibited by the school, should not be illegal in Australia.

Illegal means something against the statutory laws.

When it involves police most likely there are illegal things like selling stolen items or something.

You start with questions and research about it.

I remember that for U12 elementary schools it is tricky as they are worried about kids exploiting others selling overpriced items. For older kids is is free market.
Maybe it's just prohibited and not illegal. I'm not very sure about what happened but regarding about laws and regulations, maybe I'll learn basics later on. I haven't even started a business and given value to people yet and I don't want to read almost everything before I even take a first step. Right now, since I'm in school, I'm literally quite scared that I'll read books and books and never act. That scares me.

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
Maybe it's just prohibited and not illegal. I'm not very sure about what happened but regarding about laws and regulations, maybe I'll learn basics later on. I haven't even started a business and given value to people yet and I don't want to read almost everything before I even take a first step. Right now, since I'm in school, I'm literally quite scared that I'll read books and books and never act. That scares me.
Since I'm in high school, 15 years old. I feel like I should learn budgeting and basic financial structures and learn more about finance so I'll be able to make smart financial decisions when operating a business. I don't know if what I'm saying is right or wrong, do correct me if I'm wrong plz

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
20 something years into business someone had to pull Richard Branson out of a meeting and quickly explain to him the difference between net profit and gross because he didn't know...

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
You can start some actions by emailing your school’s discipline master if there is any rule against any business transaction between students. Treat it like a personal project.

Most likely there is no official rule banning transaction but you cannot overdo it by turning campus into your marketing mall for your business and everyone knows it.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Jan 18, 2022
I remember being pulled out of class and lectured about flipping Pokémon cards. I remember the principle's exact words, too: "You're here to learn, not make money."

I'm not sure about your local laws, but here in the states, it's also "frowned upon" to run a side hustle out of your school. That said, we/I typically got around this via simply selling Pokémon cards, out of my trunk/backseat, in a parking lot, next to the school.

The quickest way for your "community to recognize you" is by being in front of them. Get out there and see who you can help. While doing this, analyze what you see around you as, when one genuinely pays attention to the world around them, the world responds in kind via showing you problems that we, as entrepreneurs, can solve.

Your greatest asset right now is time. Use it to build your initial foundation. In your case, based on where you're currently at, that more than likely includes networking (a ton), and building up valuable skills. Imo, once you've built a decent network, and you've spent time in front of these people, pick an industry and run with it.

One of my favorite theories/phrases/whatever in business is "if you can double a client's investment, they will give you every penny they earn." I'm personally in tech. You can find my progress thread around here somewhere. I can tell you, based on personal experience, that quote is 100% factual.

Help people first, make money second. Because helping people inevitably leads to financial/other gain(s) (and despite what some of the douches here say, genuinely helping people has a positive psychological effect on us as individuals).

G

Guest-5ty5s4

You should absolutely learn the basics of accounting. You do not need to learn *formal* accounting, however.

Many of us on the forum have read the book Rich Dad Poor Dad. I would recommend it. It's not totally accurate to accounting, but it gets your mind thinking the right way.

If you can learn what the financial statements are, how to calculate your net worth (super easy to do, add your assets and subtract your debts), and then calculate monthly cash flow, you should be on your way!

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany

TLDR;
If you want to learn a hard skill for entrepreneurship it's the classic: Sales.

Nothing will help you more than knowing that you can always get customers if push comes to shove.
Accounting is a pretty pointless job if your business is making no money.

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Oct 10, 2022

TLDR;
As a project manager with projects revolving around Accounting, I have to say this: Accounting is one of the most useless skills to waste your time on. Focus first on all the skills that will help product development and sales (the offense) and then you focus on Accounting (the defense). For my soccer analogy, there is also Budgeting which is one of the midfielders. It is important in order to not drive your business out of cash and to pay yourself out of your job so that you become a full-time business person. I am assuming you want to go fastlane, meaning having profits and not relying solely on VCs to pay you.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Forget accounting and read Roli's 2nd last paragraph again and again till you can recite it backwards.

Accounting is long overdue to be replaced by AI outright. Humans are just a middleman in accounting : AI can do it more accurately and much much faster than any human.

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
If you want to learn a hard skill for entrepreneurship it's the classic: Sales.

Nothing will help you more than knowing that you can always get customers if push comes to shove.
Accounting is a pretty pointless job if your business is making no money.
I agree that accounting is a useless thing if I don't even start giving value to people. For sales, I might try to sell things to my friends. I'm expecting that I have to learn sales from experience not from a book? There's lots of resources in the internet and free knowledge. Would it be better to just do it rather than read about sales?

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
I
I remember being pulled out of class and lectured about flipping Pokémon cards. I remember the principle's exact words, too: "You're here to learn, not make money."

I'm not sure about your local laws, but here in the states, it's also "frowned upon" to run a side hustle out of your school. That said, we/I typically got around this via simply selling Pokémon cards, out of my trunk/backseat, in a parking lot, next to the school.

The quickest way for your "community to recognize you" is by being in front of them. Get out there and see who you can help. While doing this, analyze what you see around you as, when one genuinely pays attention to the world around them, the world responds in kind via showing you problems that we, as entrepreneurs, can solve.

Your greatest asset right now is time. Use it to build your initial foundation. In your case, based on where you're currently at, that more than likely includes networking (a ton), and building up valuable skills. Imo, once you've built a decent network, and you've spent time in front of these people, pick an industry and run with it.

One of my favorite theories/phrases/whatever in business is "if you can double a client's investment, they will give you every penny they earn." I'm personally in tech. You can find my progress thread around here somewhere. I can tell you, based on personal experience, that quote is 100% factual.

Help people first, make money second. Because helping people inevitably leads to financial/other gain(s) (and despite what some of the douches here say, genuinely helping people has a positive psychological effect on us as individuals).
I could join a social community in my area and network with the people in there and ask if they need any help with their problems. I was thinking that as well. I'm going to join social groups and network with them. Thanks! This forum is such a gold mine!

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
As a project manager with projects revolving around Accounting, I have to say this: Accounting is one of the most useless skills to waste your time on. Focus first on all the skills that will help product development and sales (the offense) and then you focus on Accounting (the defense). For my soccer analogy, there is also Budgeting which is one of the midfielders. It is important in order to not drive your business out of cash and to pay yourself out of your job so that you become a full-time business person. I am assuming you want to go fastlane, meaning having profits and not relying solely on VCs to pay you.
I actually never thought accounting could be an defense side of business. So offense in business are skills that helps propels the business forward by improving the quality and quantity of value to people. This is a really interesting idea that I haven't thought about yet, Thanks!

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
You should absolutely learn the basics of accounting. You do not need to learn *formal* accounting, however.

Many of us on the forum have read the book Rich Dad Poor Dad. I would recommend it. It's not totally accurate to accounting, but it gets your mind thinking the right way.

If you can learn what the financial statements are, how to calculate your net worth (super easy to do, add your assets and subtract your debts), and then calculate monthly cash flow, you should be on your way!
I was thinking that I will learn basic accounting and bookkeeping skills and not the whole subject of accounting. Just learn basic things that a business needs and that's it. Leave everything to my future accountant

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I was thinking that I will learn basic accounting and bookkeeping skills and not the whole subject of accounting. Just learn basic things that a business needs and that's it. Leave everything to my future accountant
Accounting isn’t rocket science. Little old ladies do managerial accounting in spiral notebooks for their stores they own in small towns. It works.

You can figure it out when you need to figure it out.

But you should learn how to calculate your personal net worth and make a budget for your personal finances *now* - that’s like accounting level 0.1

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
Accounting isn’t rocket science. Little old ladies do managerial accounting in spiral notebooks for their stores they own in small towns. It works.

You can figure it out when you need to figure it out.

But you should learn how to calculate your personal net worth and make a budget for your personal finances *now* - that’s like accounting level 0.1
Will do. I'm going to take a "financial basics everyone should know" course in LinkedIn. I can watch any lessons for free as I'm using my dad account.

ADR

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jul 23, 2016
Miami, FL
This happened to me selling my music as CDs. I won’t tell you my age. Lol Your ahead of most at the age of 15. Just keep learning and solving problems. Post any questions on here and we will help guide you the best way we know how. Best of luck.

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
This happened to me selling my music as CDs. I won’t tell you my age. Lol Your ahead of most at the age of 15. Just keep learning and solving problems. Post any questions on here and we will help guide you the best way we know how. Best of luck.
I would LOVE to talk and network with people who are entrepreneurs here especially in real life. Its like my dream come true! To be honest, when I first came into this forum, I was legit scared of everyone. Everyone is serious adults here and I thought that if I were to ask some dumb question that the fastlane forum/books talked about it before that I was about to be called dumb or stupid. I'd always think hard first before I post any questions scared that I was about to get scolded by some guys in here.

Last edited:

Beerbread

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 2, 2019
New Jersey
A little late on the thread, it's helpful if you care about what's going on with your Profit Loss and Balance Sheet, but not required. As long as you know how to categorize your transactions and everything is current so you don't have to panic at tax season. I currently do bookkeeping as my day job but if you're making big sales and you got more than 1500 transactions, you're better off outsourcing the work.

Someone mentioned that the profession itself would be outsourced by AI and I can see that, but not anytime soon. Even now, I still have to constantly correct bank feeds. There's still a lot of accountants in their 60s+ that are set in their ways and won't retire in the near future. There's also the issue that everyone's tax situation is different so you still need people to sift through some client's dumpster fire.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.