The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Seth Godin - A must read author... Seriously

Driven28

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jun 22, 2008
Citizen of the World
I'm sure many of you have read Seth Godin's material by now. But I thought I'd post this up just in case a few haven't.

I finally picked up his newer book "Tribes" on my Kindle last night, and it just reminds me of why I love this guy so much.

His marketing techniques for his books have created an almost "godly" image for himself among the business/entrepreneur/marketing crowds, and has gained him a pretty fanatical following.

While I'm not a fanatic, his books do inspire me, and I think a lot of his ideas and rules for succeeding are dead on. He's all about being different, sticking out like a sore thumb (or a purple cow), starting and leading movements on your own, etc etc.

Bottom line: if you have an idea, and you want it to go viral and affect millions, his books are your bible.

Oh, and his blog is a gold mine as well. He even published a book with his best blog posts in it. Definitely worth some time digging: Seth's Blog

Anyone who's read him and put some of his inspiration or wisdom to use?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Oh yeah, he is incredible and there are threads about Tribes or other books or his videos already.

I have actually just started reading The Dip. And it cought me in the first pages already. Seth is wonderful, who has tons of experience and creativity. I'm his big fan and am always looking forward to reading any business/marketing book by him. He usually has pieces that fit into my vision.

Cheers

Driven28

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jun 22, 2008
Citizen of the World
Oh yeah, he is incredible and there are threads about Tribes or other books or his videos already.

Of all people, I should know better than to post a topic without doing a search first. I apologize!

Glad to hear you're a believer in his stuff though!

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Of all people, I should know better than to post a topic without doing a search first. I apologize!

Glad to hear you're a believer in his stuff though!

I love his stuff ;)
No problems... I think everyone has made this mistake here with such thing once, no matter the topic.. :)

barbarian

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Feb 8, 2013
why do you say that his ideas and rules for succeeding are dead on?

mags

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Oct 18, 2011
I know this is an old thread. But, since this was bumped I should say ever since then I love Seth Godin. Until now, I've been getting daily email updates from his blog. That means every day I am learning a lot of new things from him. This guy is full of wisdom.

jindo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Apr 28, 2013
Valley Grande, AL
For those that are Seth Godin fans (and EVERYONE should be), I HIGHLY recommend his most recent book, The Icarus Deception

It should be thought of as Required Reading...

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I picked up my first Seth Godin book at the library without knowing who he was. It was one of the only business books they had immediately available. Good read.

I'm now reading "Tribes". Short book, quick read, but really helping me to understand why social media matters and community building.

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010

jindo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Apr 28, 2013
Valley Grande, AL

While I do agree with that article...that some reading is not at all useful, I believe that Seth Godin's writings are----he teaches us to think, and to see opportunities when they present themselves---to be unique and to Create Art. The main point, I guess, is that (as Bruce Lee taught us) we should Absorb What is Useful.

Interestingly, this is straight from Seth's Blog today (5/19/13)---it couldn't have been more timely---is he on this forum?:

Learning by analogy

The story of Hansel and Gretel is not actually about Hansel or Gretel.

You are surrounded by examples and lessons and case studies that clearly aren't exactly about your project. There's never been a book written precisely about the situation you are facing right now, either. Perhaps one day they will publish, "Marketing Low-Cost Coaching Services to Small Businesses Specializing in Graphic Design in the Upper Peninsula for Dummies" but don't hold your breath.

Marketing, like all forms of art, requires us to learn to see. To see what's working and to transplant it, change it and amplify it.

We don't teach this, but we should. We don't push people to practice the act of learning by analogy, because it's way easier to just give them a manual and help them avoid thinking for themselves.

The opportunity is to find the similarities and get ever better at letting others go first--not with what you've got, but with something you can learn from.

And the opposite is even more true. We over-rely on things where the specifics seem to match, but the lesson is obscured by the trivial. Sometimes when we see something happen that we can learn a conceptual lesson from, we instead jump to conclusions that the specifics are the important part.

Remember that the next time you have to take your shoes off before you get on an airplane.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.