The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Selling MVP to Small Businesses for Validation?

ItsAJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Oct 16, 2018
MVP = "Minimum Viable Product"

I have an idea that I would like to start offering to small to midsized companies in my area, and it would be a series of video training courses with the higher dollar option of in person training.

What is the best way to approach this without creating hours upon hours of videos for the end product? Record a few, set up a simple one page website and cold call? Create some and distribute them at my current slowlane situation for free to co-workers and get feedback? The product is on the IT side, and the videos would all be shorter videos depending on the situation the person was in, and meant as something they could learn over coffee breaks or run through a few at lunch time.

My recording setup is also minimal at this point. Just screen capture software, the actual software and a mic. Over time that would improve, but again, just shooing for the MVP at this point.

For the in-person training, I was going to pick as personal 1:1 training instead of the big classroom that it's just a firehose of information and some people learn and some don't. Obviously this is much more time intensive on my side, but that is why it would cost more. I think I would rather see how the videos go first before I actually offer this, but maybe put a "coming soon" option with a email list so I could contact later?

Still not sure if I would want to sell a package of videos, or have a subscription site with everything that they purchase monthly. I'll figure all that out later.

I'd like to see if this has any teeth to it before I jump all the way in. If it does, I'm definitely creating a progress thread on it. This skill that I've been helping people with for years has been staring me in the face, and I think I could help a ton of people with it. It has frustrated me to no end at the several office jobs I've had, and I'd like to cure some of that.

Plus I'm guessing B2B sales are more paperwork to set up if it turns into an actual sale, but I'm not worried about that right now either.

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ItsAJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Oct 16, 2018
Create an MVP. Sell one.

Quit overthinking and procrastinating. Get to work.

That was my question. What would an MVP look like if you are selling training courses to small businesses?

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Sounds like you are putting in half effort and wanting someone to do this for you. You have the tools you need listed in your post below.....

I have an idea that I would like to start offering to small to midsized companies in my area, and it would be a series of video training courses with the higher dollar option of in person training.

Still not sure if I would want to sell a package of videos, or have a subscription site with everything that they purchase monthly. I'll figure all that out later.

I'd like to see if this has any teeth to it before I jump all the way in. If it does, I'm definitely creating a progress thread on it. This skill that I've been helping people with for years has been staring me in the face, and I think I could help a ton of people with it. It has frustrated me to no end at the several office jobs I've had, and I'd like to cure some of that.

What problem does your product solve? What need does it fulfill? How would people like to consume it?

If your only question is the third one ....... what came from your brainstorming session?
Brainstorming - Wikipedia

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
So you’ve already helped people 1-2-1 with this skill. That’s a great start and what I was going to recommend.

Curious why you’re mixing helping local businesses with a video? Surely video could help folks anywhere in the world?

What I’d do:

Go find forums or Facebook groups where people are stuck with this problem.

Start helping them.

Record video answers to the questions you can’t answer simply.

Take it from there.

Meh to “MVP”s, “validation”, and all that startup cr@p.

Go help folks. Like now.

ItsAJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Oct 16, 2018
Sounds like you are putting in half effort and wanting someone to do this for you. You have the tools you need listed in your post below.....

Ah, I didn't mean for it to sound that way. I was just curious and will go from here.

So you’ve already helped people 1-2-1 with this skill. That’s a great start and what I was going to recommend.

Curious why you’re mixing helping local businesses with a video? Surely video could help folks anywhere in the world?

I was wondering about an in person option as well, which is why I was thinking local. I agree 100% that if the videos work enough then there is no limit, but in the past I've always been helping in person.

What I’d do:

Go find forums or Facebook groups where people are stuck with this problem.

Start helping them.

Record video answers to the questions you can’t answer simply.

Take it from there.

That's a pretty good idea. I like that. Recording video answers to get a feel for the process and also get some feedback on quality/content/etc.

Meh to “MVP”s, “validation”, and all that startup cr@p.

Go help folks. Like now.

But that's a buzz word! lol, thanks for the feedback, both of you.

Thanks.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
You're welcome.

Further reading if you're so inclined:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Recording video answers to get a feel for the process and also get some feedback on quality/content/etc.
I've bolded this better for you.

However, I think you should be "Recording video answers to help people."

Do that and the rest falls into place. Read/watch/listen to the stuff linked to above.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.