The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Rep bank $0? How it mimics your real life bank.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
One man's "broke" is another man's "fine."

I guess I'm just frightened that the forum will disappear for weeks/months while this migration is happening. So I'm like, leave it, it's fine!

But of course I defer to your greater knowledge in the area of the functionality of TMFF :)

G

Guest58302

Not sure...

The software switch would be incredibly disruptive. Many things would be gained, but other things would be lost. Haven't quite decided what I'm going to do, if anything.

That's understandable.

The Rep Bank feature is indeed interesting. This is the first time I've seen a forum use it. It definitely fits in with the Fastlane philosophy of money being a passive system and enforces it as so.

Yeah, I'm sure you're going to relive the same problems that happened during the last software change, though on a larger scale. (Since I'm assuming there are plenty more users now). The only advice I can give you on the subject is to try to complete the overhaul as soon as possible and get it up and running. A forum I frequented as a kid had a software change that ran into some problems and ended up being down for several months. Once it finally came back up its user-base completely tanked. It became a shiny and brand new ghost town. While I'm sure this forum won't suffer the same fate, it's still good to keep in mind.

Anyhow, I wish you all the best in finding that new software. It will definitely work out in the end! Good luck MJ!

Edit: Lol, @Roli has the same concerns as me.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I guess I'm just frightened that the forum will disappear for weeks/months while this migration is happening.

If I did it, the migration should only take a few hours.

The reason why I'm considering a move is because Xenforo is forum software and I believe forums are a declining medium. And their new 2.0 versioning is really weak sauce. Sure it's much faster, but it's more of the same crap and adds nothing that really matters, like mobile pushes or better mobile viewing.

The fact is, social media (instant scrolling, fast digestion, swiping etc.) is not drawing younger people to forums.

I'd want to move to a complete community portal, with forum functionality.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
If I did it, the migration should only take a few hours.

The reason why I'm considering a move is because Xenforo is forum software and I believe forums are a declining medium. And their new 2.0 versioning is really weak sauce. Sure it's much faster, but it's more of the same crap and adds nothing that really matters, like mobile pushes or better mobile viewing.

The fact is, social media (instant scrolling, fast digestion, swiping etc.) is not drawing younger people to forums.

Yeah. Xenforo definitely feels clunky on a mobile compared to Facebook groups and Discord chats. Curious what the new experience will be like.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

Yeah. Xenforo definitely feels clunky on a mobile compared to Facebook groups and Discord chats. Curious what the new experience will be like.

You both just reminded me not to be such a fixed mindset stick in the mud, and to welcome change. :)

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You both just reminded me not to be such a fixed mindset stick in the mud, and to welcome change.

Well ANY change won't be looked upon favorably by users. It's just a fact of life.

But I also have to observe trends in consumer preferences. Forums are a desktop medium and the world is now mostly mobile. NOT ONE forum software option is designed to be mobile-centric. Sure they have "mobile versions" but its always lipstick and pigs.

A great opportunity exists in the forum space for a mobile-centered software solution. Problem is, I'm not even sure that is enough. No one wants to type a 6 paragraph introduction or a great post on a mobile keyboard.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
No one wants to type a 6 paragraph introduction or a great post on a mobile keyboard.
Most of my posts are typed on my phone actually! That predictive text/auto-correct is amazing.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Problem is, I'm not even sure that is enough. No one wants to type a 6 paragraph introduction or a great post on a mobile keyboard.

Is voice recognition an option?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Is voice recognition an option?

Great idea. That would be the great differentiator for a new forum service where its native app has that as a default option, plus ease of search, reading, etc.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Great idea. That would be the great differentiator for a new forum service where its native app has that as a default option, plus ease of search, reading, etc.

Plus it seems the tech gets much more reliable each year, I personally have stopped using my phone for pretty much anything but phone calls and texting.

However like you said, times are a-changin' and if you want to attract/keep a new younger audience, then TMFF has to move with the times.

.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Jun 18, 2016
Belgium, Europe
"Roli said:
Is voice recognition an option?"

Agreed!

And I may represent a minority, but to me, the ideal mobile-centered forum app would propose:
- voice recognition
- and Text-to-Speech!

So that people could also listen to the forum while walking, exercising, or driving to work.

It may seem far fetched, but some TTS engines do a better job at reading texts out loud (with the right intonation and everything) than some people who are professional readers.

With Text-to-Speech, busy people could find the time to "read" more of the forum and be motivated to participate more (I know I would).
Especially if they can listen to a thread, and reply to a specific post with voice recognition.

Some indications that there may be a need for a Text-to-Speech feature:

- Andy Black once wrote that he was waiting for the audio book version of Unscripted to "read it", because he did not have the time to read the book version.

- Similarly, I started to read Unscripted on Kindle and then I switched to the audiobook version as soon as it was available on Audible. And I'm listening to it for the second time (it would be harder to find the time to read Unscripted a second time without audio).

- I couldn't find a forum app with decent TTS, so I took the time to write a program, to be able to listen to some GOLD threads of the forum on my smartphone while walking. (Because I wanted to read more of the forum, without having to spend much more time in front of a screen every day)

Last edited:

.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Jun 18, 2016
Belgium, Europe
Not in the forum space, but targeting the same type of consumers, some successful new apps propose text and audio.

Like Blinkist that produces non-fiction books summaries both in text and audio
And you can switch back and forth between the 2 formats while reading a book summary (Blinkist: Serving curious minds.)

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
How it mimics your real life bank.

If Only. If I could make the same kind of money in real $ as I could in rep bank dollars. Well I'd be a lot further on my journey. I'd also have accomplished one of my immediate goals.

G

Guest58302

If Only. If I could make the same kind of money in real $ as I could in rep bank dollars. Well I'd be a lot further on my journey. I'd also have accomplished one of my immediate goals.
Well. With that attitude it won't.
It just so happens that the most successful people in real life here are also the people with the biggest Rep Banks.
Oh. I thought that it would just be a drastic software change with features removed/added, yet still forum oriented. But a complete overhaul...
I can see why you're not looking forward to it. That's going to be rough for some users (maybe even myself).

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
It just so happens that the most successful people in real life here are also the people with the biggest Rep Banks.
That's not the same thing as a mimic though, but most successful people here tend to have large banks here probably is not as click-baiting headline

If it is a mimic then presumably no forum members are overdrawn in their real life bank?

It would be fascinating to know if there is correlation the other way or not. Do high rep bank, low real bank people eventually make real $?

.With that attitude it won't.

How can you even tell what my attitude is right now? Seriously, not trolling, I have absolutely no clue whatsoever what your attitude (or that of anyone else here might be)

G

Guest58302

That's not the same thing as a mimic though, but most successful people here tend to have large banks here probably is not as click-baiting headline

If it is a mimic then presumably no forum members are overdrawn in their real life bank?

It would be fascinating to know if there is correlation the other way or not. Do high rep bank, low real bank people eventually make real $?
The whole Fastlane/Unscripted philosophy is pillared upon providing value to your fellow human beings. The more legitimate value that you provide to others, the more successful you are as an entrepreneur and the bigger your bank account will be. In Unscripted , MJ goes as far as saying that money should be called Value Vouchers, reflecting the value you've successfully given to others.

If you have a large Rep Bank on this forum, all it means is that you've provided fellow forum members with a lot of value. Your forum Value Vouchers are proof of that. I should have put in the effort to explaining it in my previous post but the reason why I believe that your Rep Bank can mimic your real life Bank is:
If you are able to provide strangers on an internet forum with value, it shouldn't be too far fetched to say that you should be able to provide strangers (in this case customers) with value as well.

I will admit that there is not a direct or accurate correlation. There are so many factors, such as
life situations, etc. that can impend upon your success outside of the forum. But the one thing this forum can 100% do for you is gear your mindset towards a value providing mindset. Based on the successes that several members of this forum have had with this mindset, I can state that having such a mindset can be correlated with real life achievements. Your Rep Bank can be viewed as a training tool that can lead to real life success simply because you'd need to give value to others before gaining a large Rep Bank.
And the best way to give value to others is by possessing a value providing mindset.
How can you even tell what my attitude is right now? Seriously, not trolling, I have absolutely no clue whatsoever what your attitude (or that of anyone else here might be)
at·ti·tude
noun
  1. a settled way of thinking or feeling about someone or something, typically one that is reflected in a person's behavior
Your attitude towards the Rep Bank is that it cannot mimic your real life Bank. Am I wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Your attitude towards the Rep Bank is that it cannot mimic your real life Bank. Am I wrong?

Yes.

For, me knowing why you thought that, when I never said it would be very helpful informaiton/

T.

If you have a large Rep Bank on this forum, all it means is that you've provided fellow forum members with a lot of value. I should have put in the effort to explaining it in my previous post but the reason why I believe that your Rep Bank can mimic your real life Bank is:
I will admit that there is not a direct or accurate correlation.
And the best way to give value to others is by possessing a value providing mindset.

I agree with that.

1. a settled way of thinking or feeling about someone or something, typically one that is reflected in a person's behavior

in most cases; usually.

Literally no-one can ever know what someone else's attitude is, they only know what it is in most cases, the very definition says that you have to be wrong with some people some time. Whcih, IMHO opinion makes it rather daft to assume you know(although your probably much better at judging attitude than me)

I'm actually very good and easy to be shown opposing or other ways of thinking about other things, as long as they are engaged with facts and logic.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
So to reword ...... you are 'projecting a negative attitude toward ..... ' .... that better?

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
So to reword ...... you are 'projecting a negative attitude toward ..... ' .... that better?
No

Your projecting a negative attitude towards me. I simply observed that it isn't a direct or accurate correlation and the original post could have been phrased better.

I agree with @Out of Touch last post. Why are you not assigning them a negative attitude to them or are you? Because if I'm negative and I have the same view as them they must be negative too.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
will try it a different way ...... is there a way to project your positivity in your wording? please do. :)

G

Guest58302

Yes.

For, me knowing why you thought that, when I never said it would be very helpful informaiton
Alrighty. May as well dive into my brain and explain it to you.
When you said, "If Only," I discerned that you disagreed with the statement: Your Rep Bank mimics your real life Bank. You then provided proof for that disagreement with your next three sentences. So, I concluded that the way you felt about the Rep Bank was negative in correlation to your real life Bank and hence also concluded that you possessed a negative attitude towards the Rep Bank in correlation to your real life Bank. If you instead said:
Oh Yeah! I make the same kind of money in real $ as I do in rep bank dollars. I've gotten so far on my journey! I have also accomplished one of my immediate goals!
Then I would have reached the conclusion that you possess a positive attitude towards the Rep Bank in correlation to your real life Bank.
Literally no-one can ever know what someone else's attitude is, they only know what it is in most cases.
Your first statement and the one that follows contradict themselves. But...
Um. Would it be okay if we just move on from this? I could be wrong about your attitude towards the Rep Bank and I could also be right about it. I don't think it really matters. Arguing semantics isn't going to get us any farther on our Fastlane journey. If you really, really, really want to continue this conversation, just PM me. However, I feel that continuing this exchange would be pointless.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
will try it a different way ...... is there a way to project your positivity in your wording? please do. :)

That's what I'm asking everybody.

The way is to have people tell me which words project postivity and which project negativity, then I rewrite using those positive synonyms. Anyone, who is unable to identify those words, is likely misreading my attitude.

So far I have replace can't with how can I.

@Out of Touch kindly offered too help me via PM, despite feeling
=
that continuing this exchange would be pointless.

Would you like to join in?

From Felix Dennis

I like Dickens quote

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen [pounds] nineteen [shillings] and six [pence].

Or earn 2 pence more than you spend and your wealthy.

Last edited:

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn

Okay. Does anyone have data to disprove my assertion that rep bank can't mimic real life accounts(being a single entry ledger as opposed to double entry for one) ? However it would be a lot better for most forum members if there was more correlation of rep bank to real life $ (but not so the other way)? Agree or disagree?

P.S>. I love the try it a different way approach, sometimes that can just make things 'click'

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This is so cool. I’ve always kinda wondered how often I should be giving rep or when or why...
“Catch them when they’re good.” (Reward what you want to see more of.)

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
I gave all mine away to celebrate a special occasion for somebody :playful:

I tend to look at likes more than rep, particularly the ratio of posts/likes for users. Some people have a ton of posts, but an almost even number of likes. Those people typically don’t provide a lot of value to the forum.

Some people have a crazy amount of likes (5 to 10 times as many) compared to posts. These are very high quality contributors, like moderators and heavy hitters that have progress threads and provide more content than comments.

I’m almost to a 3/1 ratio. I strive to one day be a 10/1 or better. When my venture succeeds and I can share a lot of helpful, validated information I suspect I’ll start getting closer.

:cool:

Last edited:

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I tend to look at likes more than rep, particularly the ratio of posts/likes for users. Some people have a ton of posts, but an almost even number of likes. Those people typically don’t provide a lot of value to the forum.

Some people have a crazy amount of likes (5 to 10 times as many) compared to posts. These are very high quality contributors, like moderators and heavy hitters that have progress threads and provide more content than comments.

I 100% agree. That is a pretty quick-and-dirty way to find out who posts nuggets of wisdom, vs. just spewing crap from their keyboards.

However, don't let this scare you off from some of the long standing members of the forum who may have a lower ratio than you would expect. The "like" system was not present back in the day and so many of the old and buried posts by these individuals don't have any likes, and yet are still quality content.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
some of the long standing members of the forum who may have a lower ratio than you would expect.
Shout out to @rpeck90. DEFINITELY he is heavily underrated. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.