The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Rep bank $0? How it mimics your real life bank.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
We cannot add any value to this forum if we are still poor, right?

Wrong.

You don't need to be rich to add value.

Otherwise you end with a paradox, a chicken-or-the-egg scenario.

If you can't provide value unless you're rich, and value is needed to become rich, how does one become rich in the first place?

Value is magnetizing.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I can list off about 5 people without even having to think about it who I know aren't rich but will definitely be in the next 5 years.

And you know what most of them have on their profile? Rep banks over $10,000. Some of them are even Legendary Contributors.

You don't have to be the CEO of a Fortune 500 company to be an expert in your field.

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Apr 13, 2015
I agree, and it's not just the Rep Bank, the Internet itself is a great representation of how the world works. Because of the partial anonymity people behave as they would in real life if there was unlimited freedom without consequences. It gives you direct access to their minds...

If you watch videos on Youtube and read the comments or play online games you realize that, WOW!, the average human being is full of sh!t...

I mean, there are times when conversations go so wrong that just being a little bit civilized is GREATLY appreciated. Some people will tell you to go kill yourself or hope your mom gets cancer just because you disagreed with their opinion.

BUT there's a small group of people that instead of wasting time trolling, complaining or insulting others, they give good advice and help the rest.

Guess who are doing better in life...

But hey, I understand that many people use the Internet to release tension and that's why they're dicks on the Internet...

Wait a moment, is it really that the reason or it's the other way around, that their lives suck because the're jerks? Hmmmm...

One thing is for sure, if you don't have in your brain a group of neurons with the "douchebag patterns" you wouldn't be able to exhibit that behavior.

Ika

Busy Idiot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Aug 9, 2016
Germany
After reading this post, I think we need to get rich in real life before getting rich on this forum. We cannot add any value to this forum if we are still poor, right?
I thought the same. What I found out so far:
1. You can add value by asking good questions. Not stuff you can easily search, but questions that help explain the topic more and questions that help others too.
2. You can write down, what you learned from a thread and how that's going to affect your life from now on. In the best case, come back 2 weeks later and post your experiences.
3. You can answer your own questions if noone else does. Come back to threads you asked questions in and post your own answer, experience or learnings.
4. Help those 'below you'. There are others going through struggles you've already been through. Help them.

All of those requires you to take action & make progress. And then reflect on the progress.

And that behavior will help you.

I hope this helps!

JWelch

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Aug 12, 2016
Arizona
After reading this post, I think we need to get rich in real life before getting rich on this forum. We cannot add any value to this forum if we are still poor, right?
Value is not exactly synonymous with money. The same way that wealth is not exactly synonymous with money. True wealth is a measure of more than just a large bank account. It consists of a few different things IMO: inner peace, good relationships, integrity, good health, freedom, great experiences, money etc.

The list can be different for some people, but the point is anyone can provide value in any of these areas regardless of their financial situation. Quite frankly I've received some of the best advice of my life from a man who was damn near dirt poor and it is something that I'll carry with me my entire life and have even taught my kids. Furthermore, I would say that I felt the most "wealthy" at times in my life where I literally had zero dollars to get food until the next check rolled in.

We all have a story to tell, we all have knowledge we can contribute that would add value to someone's journey. Even if it helps just one person, that's enough. So do yourself a favor and the rest of us a favor. If you have something you would like to contribute don't be selfish and think that you need to be rich first.

Michael Moore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Apr 6, 2014
Athy, County Kildare, Ireland
Giving thanks is one of the most misunderstood life changing and simplest things anyone can do and it costs nothing exactly the same as these rep points.

They mean nothing and yet look at the effect they have on all of ye clambering for more and more.

Keep your points and let them stay there and give nobody a boost or make nobody but you feel better.

I was a local sports coach who did my bit for the small town I live in and was as pleasant as I could be even to assholes.
I didn't do it to impress or gain points it was just a pleasant way to be.
It is nice to be nice.

(At 6' 1'' built like a bouncer and mean a$$ scowl , I was smiling at my wifey in that pic)

I had all the usual problems bills, work worries, kids in school etc etc.
It was still nice to be nice and help out or offer some experienced advice or get some kid a trial at a big league team or whatever.

Well when my "Trial" arrived in the form of the big C and I was on my back in isolation in a hospital ward giving the weekend to live .... only the weekend and this was on a Thursday.

That's when all those people with whom I might have only met in passing or that might only have known me third hand came out of the woodwork and offered there sympathies to my wife and to my family or just stopped to have a quick hello when passing down the town or helped keep an eye on them or assisted in some other meaningful way or just said they would say a prayer.
All of this helped immensely and was a genuine boost to what was otherwise a life shattering story to a small town ordinary family.

When hearing all of this as you are in a weakened state in isolation where no one is allowed visit for months on end (6) or even when I didn't have the energy to turn on a cell phone believe me when I tell you that it matters when you give thanks and it means something.

It really is life changing.

No monies changed hand or points were passed out but that little thank you or how are you or I hope you do well or good luck or any of those little sharings of goodwill add up.

Mostly if you just listen that is even more important.
A quote I love from a cyber security site "The quieter I become the more I hear" says it all.

P.s I celebrated my ten year anniversary last 29th of March by the date and the Thursday by the day I was diagnosed and given my time out.

Fabulous friends, incredible family, fantastic experiences and getting better.

We all say thank you even at the dinner table and still get funny looks.

There is nothing as queer as folk.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Just found this thread.

Started off interesting, got a little silly in the middle. I'd give it an 8/10. Would read again :)

Regarding rep, I'll say this:

When I got here in 2012, I had a full time job, never ran my own business before, was pretty lost in life and felt pretty useless from an "add value" perspective. I felt like the scrawny guy who just joined the gym and was intimidated by the gigantic regulars who looked like buying shirts to fit their arms was the biggest problem in their lives. They were benching 300 and I could barely lift the bar. What the hell was I even doing here?

Then I looked around and saw a lot of "little things" I could do.

I hadn't started a business yet but I knew a decent amount about sales from the 9-5.
So I gave some sales advice.

My house still has a mortgage but I thought I was smart in how we bought our home.
So I talked about some problems I avoided when buying our home.

I don't own a library but I have read some books I liked.
So I talked about the books I've read and what I learned from them.

I'm not a psychologist but I've overcome some attitude and motivation problems.
So I shared those experiences.

I wasn't trying to bench 300 or even pretend like I could. I was handing folks water bottles and bringing them towels. When I could lift 50 I was helping folks who looked lost as they entered the door.

Everyone has something to share. I'm 33 and have learned plenty from some 18 year olds. Everyone has a different tool belt and nobody has all the tools.

And if you genuinely, honestly, truly believe that there is nothing anybody at any stage of their journey can learn from you, you can always stay quiet and read and read and read until you find a small enough question that you think you know the answer to and chime in then.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Just found this thread.

Started off interesting, got a little silly in the middle. I'd give it an 8/10. Would read again :)

Regarding rep, I'll say this:

When I got here in 2012, I had a full time job, never ran my own business before, was pretty lost in life and felt pretty useless from an "add value" perspective. I felt like the scrawny guy who just joined the gym and was intimidated by the gigantic regulars who looked like buying shirts to fit their arms was the biggest problem in their lives. They were benching 300 and I could barely lift the bar. What the hell was I even doing here?

I hadn't started a business yet but I knew a decent amount about sales from the 9-5.

My house still has a mortgage but I thought I was smart in how we bought our home.

I wasn't trying to bench 300 or even pretend like I could. I was handing folks water bottles and bringing them towels. When I could lift 50 I was helping folks who looked lost as they entered the door.

Everyone has something to share. I'm 33 and have learned plenty from some 18 year olds. Everyone has a different tool belt and nobody has all the tools.

And if you genuinely, honestly, truly believe that there is nothing anybody at any stage of their journey can learn from you, you can always stay quiet and read and read and read until you find a small enough question that you think you know the answer to and chime in then.

THIS is exactly how I view my role on the forum. Thanks for putting this into words.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
THIS is exactly how I view my role on the forum. Thanks for putting this into words.

I think there's a lot of people here that feel this way, myself included. I've discovered via PM that there is a rather large contingent of people here who are successful in their slowlane jobs and looking to branch out on their own.

@Vigilante , methinks @JAJT has created yet another feature-worthy post.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I think there's a lot of people here that feel this way, myself included. I've discovered via PM that there is a rather large contingent of people here who are successful in their slowlane jobs and looking to branch out on their own.

@Vigilante , methinks @JAJT has created yet another feature-worthy post.

+1 on that @Vigilante and @MJ DeMarco

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
779%
May 5, 2014
oh yeah, we rich now

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
I can definitely relate to being a newer member on the forum and feeling almost intimidated at times wondering what value I can bring. For now, I'm just trying to learn as much as possible from the gold threads and offer value where I can. I absolutely love the challenge of how foreign this all is to me because I'm learning new things every day on here.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
People just give you rep because nobody wants Putin on their a$$.
I earned mine by being authentic and treating people with respect. I guess we all get it for different reasons. I earned it by being part of the community!

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
I earned mine by being authentic and treating people with respect. I guess we all get it for different reasons. I earned it by being part of the community!

what matters is reps that life gives you, not people here.

i give you all my current money since you want reps

what matters is understanding, your fighting for order above this scam world

guys like krishnamurti never owned anything, even a suit

but their understanding of life is beyond anyone's here

in fact, by being nothing, you reach the ultimate tao state described in the chinese philosophy

by being nothing, you can be the avatar of everything

tao.jpg

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Would be an amazing feature if people's real net worth change since joining could be anonymously queried and displayed under their name somehow.
Why am I not surprised by this comment?

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
It would not really be meaningful and certainly not actionable information.

Would be an amazing feature if people's real net worth change since joining could be anonymously queried and displayed under their name somehow.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

lol

vkuEJZC.jpg

Galaxy16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
How the forum's REP BANK concept mimics a real FASTLANE...

First, let me say that this thread excludes @Yoda who gives away ALL of his rep bank as he earns it. Had he not be so charitable, he'd be one of the forum's richest.

Anyhow, I thought this needed its own thread.

@MidwestLandlord made an interesting comment here ... I thought it needed special attention. If you enjoy this post, share the REP with him.

The Fastlane Forum's REP BANK concept is actually a microcosm of a REAL FASTLANE.

Think about it.

The value you add here, say a great post, a GOLD thread; a funny comment, it exists in perpetuity. It exists seperate from your time and has the opportunity to help people 24/7. As more and more eyeballs read your value, you collect REP DOLLARS. These REP DOLLARS collect 24/7, no matter what you are doing.

You could be sleeping.
You could be traveling.
You could be at the gym.

In other words, your value bombs here are your unique pieces of work offered to the community, work that never goes dark and always is working for you, collecting views, likes, and rep transfers.

While you are away, your REP BANK grows. While I sleep, my REP BANK grows by hundreds of dollars every single day. Oddly enough, my REAL BANK does the same except with REAL DOLLARS.

Why?

I've thrusted VALUE out into the WORLD community and get paid REAL $$. Every. Single Day.

I've thrusted VALUE out into the FORUM community and get paid REP $$. Every. Single. Day.

Want to make money 24/7?

Start producing value that exists in space-time separate from your time.

Also @Almantas is a charitable user.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France

what we are looking for with reps is power, respect, social proof

we can't help but judgin people in life. we are wired this way

we wants to know how we fit in society , who the boss is , who the dorks are and so on,

this is a fact. we have to live with this fact

for example

my profile looks strange : that GMSI7D guy is gold contributor but he is got only a few dollars reps

what the hell is he doing with his money ? is he giving it away to anybody without care ?

i am sure a lot of people said " this guy is crazy " when reading my last post

so we have to adapt to our society. we have to look for power anyway

legendary contributors here just have to write any word, even stupid words and lot of fans will give them reps

why ?

because of social proof and authority

this is what we must focus on to become a milionaire or anything

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
@GMSI7D

we wants to know how we fit in society , who the boss is , who the dorks are and so on,

for example

my profile looks strange : that GMSI7D guy is gold contributor but he is got only a few dollars reps

what the hell is he doing with his money ? is he giving it away to anybody without care ?

i am sure a lot of people said " this guy is crazy " when reading my last post

so we have to adapt to our society. we have to look for power anyway

legendary contributors here just have to write any word, even stupid words and lot of fans will give them reps

why ?

because of social proof and authority

this is what we must focus on to become a milionaire or anything

Please read and reread this post by @Vigilante

I do not think you understand the REP system.

Earth is full. Go home.

The Landfill - Noticed someone switching keys at work today... I

Vigilante said:
You're missing the point of the rep bank and the likes to posts ratio. It's not a popularity contest.

What we have seen over time as we have seen people come and go from the forum is one consistency.

The people that measure their words with the intention to add value and offer insights to the benefit of the other forum members here quickly develop ratios that have become an indicator of the value of their contributions to the forum. The people we see that either don't stay, or stay but don't add value are usually grouped around a similar metric. The metrics are propagated by the community. The community has a tendency to self filter. We don't routinely ban people for being an a**hole, as the community tends to take care of that for us by recognizing people who enrich their lives, and paying no attention to people who waste their time. This is a unique oasis on the internet. It runs differently than almost everywhere else. In the wild west of the internet, antagonists rule. Here, they get ignored, either figuratively or literally. The warnings about post-to-like ratios are just indicators that you're taking more than the members here think you are giving. It's a measure, not a rule. It's one way to hone your communication skills.

It has nothing to do with longevity. There are hundreds of posters that joined after you, with positive ratios. I was just reading a thread from @SparksCW. One reason I was reading his thread was because he has 64 messages and 199 likes. Measuring his words, and people are responding.

If you don't like the image the mirror is reflecting back at you, either change your appearance or discard the mirror. But criticizing the mirror for it's reflection will never change the mirror.

WJS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
342%
Dec 3, 2017
MY

In a way this forum is like a mini society, where people who bring the most value, gets the most reps. “Value” is a highly subjective matter, even in a forum that is focused on entrepreneurship. You have to know that there is no perfect system in this world. Do people get filthy rich in real life doing unscrupulous businesses? Sure! Do some people in this forum get tonnes of reps for posting silly memes or saying mean stuff? You bet. There’s always pro and con in every situation, and you just have to focus on the pro and ignore the con. Otherwise over time you’ll become bitter and cynical (I’m sensing it in your post now). It’s the same in real life. There’s no way around it. When there are people there’s bound to be issues. Why not look at the glass as half full instead of half empty?

NOT TRUE. Have you forgotten the recent showdown in this forum? That guy is a Legendary Contributor and the forum admonished him. Having said that, I believe he used to contribute greatly and got the status. You can’t strip and undo people’s recognition. You can, however, use your sound judgment and determine if someone’s post/advice is worthy of following, badge or no badge. One could be new in the forum but has years of wisdom to share, while another could have been around for years but just starting out in his journey of entrepreneurship. The point here is to see things objectively, learn from others and pay it forward. The other issues don’t really matter that much.

Last edited:
D

DeletedUser052

Thank You @JAJT for this. Your post made me smile and rethink the perception I had about adding value to the forum.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
In a way this forum is like a mini society, where people who bring the most value, gets the most reps. “Value” is a highly subjective matter,

It very much so is, which is why I made this thread.

Another thing you might notice is having a "reputation" also helps the money flow, whether it's here or in real life.

I've read some great posts by some great people (some NEW and with ZERO rep bank) and the post will get very few likes. Yet, if I posted it, or @MidwestLandlord or @IceCreamKid, or @SteveO, the post would get swarmed with a ton of likes.

Likewise, if GaryV showed up and made a post about "doing what you love!" (a phrase I totally despise) I guarantee you he'd get overwhelmed with likes and kudos!

So, given the exact same comment/information, if it comes from a newbie, it's harder to get traction.

If it comes from someone with a reputation, it attracts like flies to melting butter.

Reputation matters. Both here at the forum and in real life.

If you're JJ Abrams (reputation) how hard would it be to get financing on some great new movie project, vs myself (no reputation) -- we both could have the same idea. One has earned a rep, the other has not.

Bottomline, once you've built a reputation, things move easier.

The rep system would do a better job of drawing the real-life parallel if it had other intrinsic value beyond simple reputation. For instance, if $200K in rep bank got you a $10,000 Amazon gift card, how many people would be posting better stuff? And how much more would the rep bank be more coveted with people being less charitable?

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016

Mine would say:

-75%

Does that mean I now provide less value here?

On the contrary, I feel like my INSIDERS posts transparantly describing my mistakes and difficulties are the most valuable posts I've made here. My like to post ratio seems to confirm that.

I don't care what anyone's net worth is...not here or in real life.

What I do care about when reading others posts is:

Ease of reading
Rep bank*
Like to post ratio
Whether other posters that I respect have commented on a thread or liked a post
INSIDERS badge
Attitude (I tend to stay away from high drama, bro marketer wannabes, or pessimistic members)

*Keep your rep bank at a healthy level until you make a name for yourself here, afterwards be quite generous with it for the same reason.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.