The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is this "you can do anything in life" thing only a lie?

B-qiri

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jun 6, 2016
Switzerland
Hi everyone

I want to share some thoughts with you, this is the first one. I will also share my great progress because of TMLF in 2016 in another thread.

So, I realized that "entrepreneurship", "work hard", "blabla motivation bla, work bla, success bla" is something like a trend. No really, look up the subject entrepreneurship in google trends from 2004 to now and you will see what I mean. There are even 14-16 year old KIDS who want to tell you how to get successfull and live a life in freedom etc. So many of the gurus who know so much about success and business and money an blablabla never had a business themselves, in spite of talking the whole day. Everybody is becoming a motivation coach and entrepreneur!

As I think of this, I have the fear that I'm only in a trend and soon it will go down and everybody including me will see that it doesn't work. That would be a really shitty situation because I'm working my a$$ off. There are so many people who know all the wisdom like "do something today that nobody does to have the things tomorrow that nobody has" but they don't do shit except of talking. That's quite frustrating being part of this "movement".

Than I think of the sick-successfull people like Bill Gates etc.: Why don't they ever say those things? Why don't they ever say you can do it too, you have to work on your mindset you have to work hard and so forth?
Sometimes I think they only made it because they were geniuses. Sure they worked hard, but could some normal guy like me do something like them? I doubt it..

Did you heard of somebody who became rich and said: Yeah I read all the "start-up"-books, listened to all the motivators, worked hard an then I became rich?

I'm really not trying to say that it isn't worth it to work. I still got up at 5am today and I do it every day so that I can read and work a little bit. I still work, read and train my a$$ off. Because even if I'll never get rich, it was totally worth it and much much better than wasting my time drinking alcohol in nightclubs and watching TV. I also wan't to mention that this Forum and MJ surely are not one of the many Gurus out there because here are real people with real businesses, maybe not all but many. I just want to hear what you guys think about this; Is this only a movement, something like the "attraction, think of it and it will become reality" trend?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

thinkandgrowrich

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Nov 29, 2016
No.

How many people have you heard of or seen that has proved that "anything in life is possible"? Countless.

Dude look around you, life is crazy man it's completely irrational. Anything really is possible, who knows what the limitation of human potential is.

We've been to the moon, we're about to go to mars, we're about to have self F*cking driving cars, etc.

Shit look at the Sistine Chapel, a single man made that with his hands.

You're telling me you can't become successful?

Is all of this stuff hard? Of course, it will be the hardest thing you've ever done in your life. Sometimes I look around me and I just think, "Man, when are the results going to start coming?". But a voice inside tells me to keep going, because it's going to come. Persistence makes failure impossible, eventually you are going to get it right.

Is it logical or reasonable for me to think like this? Probably not, but you have to be crazy to succeed in something like this. In this case, being crazy is a good thing.

Keep going man because one day it will all be worth it, there will be no sweeter joy. Reflecting on your journey will make you cry. Try to make yourself enjoy the struggle.

"In retrospect, the years of struggle seem most beautiful".- Me

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
Firstly, you are confusing wantrepreners with actual Entrepreneurs. The people who chat shit all day long with motivational quotes are not the Bill Gates' of the world, they think they are (so cause an upward trend in Google), but they aren't. The people who are going to get the life they want are the ones who are going out and working for it.

As for "this just being a trend and we are all going to realise it doesn't work" ... Well, it does work. Look around you at all the successful people you know. They all went out and worked for it.

Build a business that largely makes CENTS and work HARD to make it happen and you WILL be successful. It's not new or revolutionary, but it DOES work.

Stop focussing on others. Go out and earn the life you want.

dave773

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Dec 29, 2016
australia
Sometimes I look around me and I just think, "Man, when are the results going to start coming?". But a voice inside tells me to keep going, because it's going to come. Persistence makes failure impossible, eventually you are going to get it right

This. ++

Jonathan Polley

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Feb 26, 2016
Valencia, Spain
No.

And you miss out the most inspirational part, that man wasn't even a painter, he was a sculptor. So yes, if you have some talents and a lot of dedication and hard work you can achieve more than you could ever imagine (A slightly more tempered wording than "achieve anything")

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Hi everyone

So, I realized that "entrepreneurship", "work hard", "blabla motivation bla, work bla, success bla" is something like a trend. No really, look up the subject entrepreneurship in google trends from 2004 to now and you will see what I mean. There are even 14-16 year old KIDS who want to tell you how to get successfull and live a life in freedom etc. So many of the gurus who know so much about success and business and money an blablabla never had a business themselves, in spite of talking the whole day. Everybody is becoming a motivation coach and entrepreneur!

As I think of this, I have the fear that I'm only in a trend and soon it will go down and everybody including me will see that it doesn't work. That would be a really shitty situation because I'm working my a$$ off. There are so many people who know all the wisdom like "do something today that nobody does to have the things tomorrow that nobody has" but they don't do shit except of talking. That's quite frustrating being part of this "movement".

Than I think of the sick-successfull people like Bill Gates etc.: Why don't they ever say those things? Why don't they ever say you can do it too, you have to work on your mindset you have to work hard and so forth?
Sometimes I think they only made it because they were geniuses. Sure they worked hard, but could some normal guy like me do something like them? I doubt it..

Did you heard of somebody who became rich and said: Yeah I read all the "start-up"-books, listened to all the motivators, worked hard an then I became rich?

Don't worry about other people...they can take care of themselves.

I have learned that nothing is ever original. The best things super-successful Fastlaners come up with are not brand new. Dell and Microsoft were simply repackaged, modified and remarketed better. Uber is a taxi service with an online channel. Facebook is the magnification of existing relationships.

Cars were around during Henry Ford's time. But they were only sold for the rich at first. Ford started selling cars to the lower-class, and he became an immortal.

Coffee and bread have been a mainstay of human consumption. Yet countless franchises and brands have resulted from them, that have made countless millionaires.

In other words..you think that geniuses are those who do things that seem impossible for the average person.
To me, a genius is someone who solves NEEDS and PROBLEMS. So anyone can become a genius, if they want to.

And geniuses don't even need to create new things. All you need to do is to make an old thing better. Simple, but hard.
Hard because the world doesn't understand that. It wants new things. So you would have to present your Fastlane product (modified old thing) as the new solution.

Speaking of original, our thoughts and opinions were never new in the first place.
We held on to the Slowlane principles of going to school and getting a job, the ideal passed down since the Industrial Age.
Our ideas and dreams used to be someone's..and I have a hunch they were passed down because it either worked or it didn't.
But I don't let anyone influence me...my world is not theirs. Their world is not mine.

Books are just tools. I use them, take what I need and move on. But do stay out of motivationals...they are rubbish. I can assure you, a poor father working for his family's survival is more motivated than any of those cushy life coaches...

Don't worry about failure, opinions, difficulty and gurus. Just walk on the path towards your Fastlane destination.It is your journey, not theirs, not anyone else's, not mine. Yours.

Do they matter anyway?

andrewhook

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Oct 22, 2016
Italy

Reading books (=STUDYING and ACQUIRING KNOWLEDGE) and working hard (and of course, SMART) are two mandatory laws, but probably no one tell you that because it is so obvious that there's no need to.

And about "motivators"...

In my opinion, motivation must come from you, and it must be inexhaustible!
It's a necessary ingredient for the recipe of the great entrepreneur :)

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

I feel motivated to stay up till the wee hours of dawn when I see anyone receiving shitty service in my domain that I can replace:drowning::bawling:

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
To me that is not the question that you should be focused on. Your question leads to binary answers(yes/no) and really distracts you from your life.

The yes/no represents the extremes. Either you can be anything you want or you can't. The truth is somewhere in the middle and it's not provided to you by do nothing gurus.

You can be and do pretty much anything you want provided you are willing to work and sacrifice for it. Your dream will not come easy and you may not ever reach it.

If you may not reach it should you even try? There are no guarantees of goal attainment, whether you try is entirely your call. No placing blame here if you don't make it. Man up, take responsibility.

If you are focused on what do nothing gurus are saying then you are not focusing on your life and your goals. This is noise, a distraction. Listening to them and reading them makes it feel like you are getting stuff done. Action fake.

In the beginning you may need external motivation and reassurance. However, intrinsic motivation has to kick in at some time.

The true question should be "is this truly worth my time?" "If I try and fail, where will I be?" "If I don't try where will I be?"

Good luck with your decision.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Get to know self made rich people in real life and you'll realize a few things:

1) they are normal people. The only thing they do different from 99% of others is they don't quit and they adapt when things don't work

2) Wealth is a rather simple formula when you get down to it. People here tend to over complicate things. The math is simple!

3) it's the hardest thing you'll ever do in your life, but absolutely possible

Most people find it easier to talk about wealth, because actually doing it is hard. That's why the world of entrepreneurship is so noisy

B-qiri

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jun 6, 2016
Switzerland
No.

How many people have you heard of or seen that has proved that "anything in life is possible"? Countless.

Dude look around you, life is crazy man it's completely irrational. Anything really is possible, who knows what the limitation of human potential is.

We've been to the moon, we're about to go to mars, we're about to have self F*cking driving cars, etc.

Is all of this stuff hard? Of course, it will be the hardest thing you've ever done in your life. Sometimes I look around me and I just think, "Man, when are the results going to start coming?". But a voice inside tells me to keep going, because it's going to come. Persistence makes failure impossible, eventually you are going to get it right.

Is it logical or reasonable for me to think like this? Probably not, but you have to be crazy to succeed in something like this. In this case, being crazy is a good thing.

Keep going man because one day it will all be worth it, there will be no sweeter joy. Reflecting on your journey will make you cry. Try to make yourself enjoy the struggle.

"In retrospect, the years of struggle seem most beautiful".- Me
Aah I totally know that voice, wonderful. You reminded me of my own father who took refuge in Switzerland, had nothing, couldn't speak a word german but with hard work he got self employed since 2006… Thank you for your motivation!

B-qiri

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jun 6, 2016
Switzerland
Firstly, you are confusing wantrepreners with actual Entrepreneurs. The people who chat shit all day long with motivational quotes are not the Bill Gates' of the world, they think they are (so cause an upward trend in Google), but they aren't. The people who are going to get the life they want are the ones who are going out and working for it.

As for "this just being a trend and we are all going to realise it doesn't work" ... Well, it does work. Look around you at all the successful people you know. They all went out and worked for it.

Build a business that largely makes CENTS and work HARD to make it happen and you WILL be successful. It's not new or revolutionary, but it DOES work.

Stop focussing on others. Go out and earn the life you want.
Thank you for reminding me of the wantrepreneurs, I totally forgot them! (even if I catch myself sometimes doing action faking)

B-qiri

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jun 6, 2016
Switzerland
Don't worry about other people...they can take care of themselves.

I have learned that nothing is ever original. The best things super-successful Fastlaners come up with are not brand new. Dell and Microsoft were simply repackaged, modified and remarketed better. Uber is a taxi service with an online channel. Facebook is the magnification of existing relationships.

Cars were around during Henry Ford's time. But they were only sold for the rich at first. Ford started selling cars to the lower-class, and he became an immortal.

Coffee and bread have been a mainstay of human consumption. Yet countless franchises and brands have resulted from them, that have made countless millionaires.

In other words..you think that geniuses are those who do things that seem impossible for the average person.
To me, a genius is someone who solves NEEDS and PROBLEMS. So anyone can become a genius, if they want to.

And geniuses don't even need to create new things. All you need to do is to make an old thing better. Simple, but hard.
Hard because the world doesn't understand that. It wants new things. So you would have to present your Fastlane product (modified old thing) as the new solution.

Speaking of original, our thoughts and opinions were never new in the first place.
We held on to the Slowlane principles of going to school and getting a job, the ideal passed down since the Industrial Age.
Our ideas and dreams used to be someone's..and I have a hunch they were passed down because it either worked or it didn't.
But I don't let anyone influence me...my world is not theirs. Their world is not mine.

Books are just tools. I use them, take what I need and move on. But do stay out of motivationals...they are rubbish. I can assure you, a poor father working for his family's survival is more motivated than any of those cushy life coaches...

Don't worry about failure, opinions, difficulty and gurus. Just walk on the path towards your Fastlane destination.It is your journey, not theirs, not anyone else's, not mine. Yours.

Do they matter anyway?
Thank you very much for the time you took, I appreciate that! I just have to keep being focused and keep working hard to bring my solution out.

B-qiri

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jun 6, 2016
Switzerland
Reading books (=STUDYING and ACQUIRING KNOWLEDGE) and working hard (and of course, SMART) are two mandatory laws, but probably no one tell you that because it is so obvious that there's no need to.

And about "motivators"...

I agree with the necessity of the inner motivation. Books are very important to read but I think using the knowledge and working hard is even more important.. Thank you!

B-qiri

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jun 6, 2016
Switzerland
To me that is not the question that you should be focused on. Your question leads to binary answers(yes/no) and really distracts you from your life.

The yes/no represents the extremes. Either you can be anything you want or you can't. The truth is somewhere in the middle and it's not provided to you by do nothing gurus.

You can be and do pretty much anything you want provided you are willing to work and sacrifice for it. Your dream will not come easy and you may not ever reach it.

If you may not reach it should you even try? There are no guarantees of goal attainment, whether you try is entirely your call. No placing blame here if you don't make it. Man up, take responsibility.

If you are focused on what do nothing gurus are saying then you are not focusing on your life and your goals. This is noise, a distraction. Listening to them and reading them makes it feel like you are getting stuff done. Action fake.

In the beginning you may need external motivation and reassurance. However, intrinsic motivation has to kick in at some time.

The true question should be "is this truly worth my time?" "If I try and fail, where will I be?" "If I don't try where will I be?"

Good luck with your decision.
I had to take that decision not a long time ago. My decision is that it is totally worth it even if it does fail. It certainly is not bad to work hard and it is a 100% better than doing other nonsense like laying around and do nothing the whole day; impossible to me
Thank you!

B-qiri

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jun 6, 2016
Switzerland
Get to know self made rich people in real life and you'll realize a few things:

1) they are normal people. The only thing they do different from 99% of others is they don't quit and they adapt when things don't work

2) Wealth is a rather simple formula when you get down to it. People here tend to over complicate things. The math is simple!

3) it's the hardest thing you'll ever do in your life, but absolutely possible

Most people find it easier to talk about wealth, because actually doing it is hard. That's why the world of entrepreneurship is so noisy
Work, work, work and never stop! that's right!!

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Life is what you make of it.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Work, work, work and never stop! that's right!!

Think of the fastlane like comments on this forum.

Every time I log in, I see that people have liked comments I left days or even weeks ago.

Those likes put reps into my forum rep bank, from "work" I already did way earlier. I've found that the more quality comments I make, the more likely previous comments are to be liked as well.

I have real life processes in place that do the same. Not fastlane yet, but close.

I make money 24hrs per day, because of work done days, weeks, months, even years ago.

Make sense?

So work hard, yes. But work on the right things.

jsk29

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Jul 30, 2014
US
1hb1oz.jpg

B-qiri

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jun 6, 2016
Switzerland
Think of the fastlane like comments on this forum.

Every time I log in, I see that people have liked comments I left days or even weeks ago.

Those likes put reps into my forum rep bank, from "work" I already did way earlier. I've found that the more quality comments I make, the more likely previous comments are to be liked as well.

I have real life processes in place that do the same. Not fastlane yet, but close.

I make money 24hrs per day, because of work done days, weeks, months, even years ago.

Make sense?

So work hard, yes. But work on the right things.
I'm really happy to hear that and hope that you get fastlane soon. This totally makes sense;
I don't get any money for my work at the moment but I still got some very very big rewards for working/learning a few months or years ago. 2017 is very promising for me and I had some great opportunities because of things I did much earlier.

Also "the right things" is critical you're totally right. Unfortunately I lost considerable time doing things which really weren't important.. but I think that's how you learn it, by experience.

Thank you

IchiBan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Dec 27, 2016

Really?

Listen to Steve Jobs' Stanford commencement speech. Isn't that exactly what he did there? He didn't stand up there and talk about how amazing he was, how only his "genius" and "brilliance" allowed him to get to achieve what he did. He didn't use the opportunity to tell students "the harsh truth of life".

No.

He talked about his challenges: being born to parents who never wanted him, going to a college that his parents couldn't afford, being diagnosed with cancer etc...

He humanized himself. He showed that he's just, like the rest of us, a person. A person who had to struggle to overcome challenges and make the best with what little he had. And even gave a little glimpse on how he managed to get past them. The message was there, but it's not necessarily clear, you just have to read in-between the lines.

This is just the first example I found after a quick google search. Who knows how many other CEO's Presidents, and other guys at the top of the world have given a talk in a similar vein?

You have to remember that motivational speakers earn their living by inspiring people. While what they say is usually true. They have to make it seem sweet and easy and magical.

What really matters is what do you do when you get home from that seminar, and the weeks and months following.

Do you get rid of bad habits? Start searching for problems to solve for yourself and others, take action while applying the speakers' words to your life?

Or do you do things exactly the same way you've always done, while waiting for some golden unicorn to come out of the sky and carry you out to Successland?

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Is it possible to do anything you want in life? No. There's opportunity cost to everything and your life is finite.

Is it possible to do things you cannot currently imagine yourself doing? Yes. Is it possible to create things that no one has dreamed of yet? Yes. Is it possible to positively affect the lives of incomprehensibly large numbers of people? Yes.

The people that post those damn "you can do anything quotes" on social media to get you to join their MLM probably won't, and I give them till about mid February before they stop wearing the Fitbit that was supposed to help them keep their New Year's resolution.

If you're not the stop 6 weeks into something guy, you can do the aforementioned things, though.

B-qiri

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jun 6, 2016
Switzerland
Really?

Listen to Steve Jobs' Stanford commencement speech. Isn't that exactly what he did there? He didn't stand up there and talk about how amazing he was, how only his "genius" and "brilliance" allowed him to get to achieve what he did. He didn't use the opportunity to tell students "the harsh truth of life".

No.

He talked about his challenges: being born to parents who never wanted him, going to a college that his parents couldn't afford, being diagnosed with cancer etc...

He humanized himself. He showed that he's just, like the rest of us, a person. A person who had to struggle to overcome challenges and make the best with what little he had. And even gave a little glimpse on how he managed to get past them. The message was there, but it's not necessarily clear, you just have to read in-between the lines.

This is just the first example I found after a quick google search. Who knows how many other CEO's Presidents, and other guys at the top of the world have given a talk in a similar vein?

You have to remember that motivational speakers earn their living by inspiring people. While what they say is usually true. They have to make it seem sweet and easy and magical.

What really matters is what do you do when you get home from that seminar, and the weeks and months following.

Do you get rid of bad habits? Start searching for problems to solve for yourself and others, take action while applying the speakers' words to your life?

Or do you do things exactly the same way you've always done, while waiting for some golden unicorn to come out of the sky and carry you out to Successland?
hmm you're right i forgot that speech. I know that I have to take action on things I read/hear etc. and I do take action.

But still it is a little weird that most of the people who really know success don't talk about it much. Maybe there are exceptions. Maybe most of them just like to have their privacy :D

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.