The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Reminder 9-5'ers; we are NOT safe!

Mr.Chaos

Wolves love Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Mar 16, 2016
Atlanta
Today, January 3rd, 2017.

After having an amazing fun filled Christmas.

A spectacular drunken New Years.

Leading into what looks like a very promising 2017.

This morning at 10-am my employer laid off 10 Engineers. Most of which did not have a rainy day fund, only a few had enough savings to hold off until they can find something else. Some just signed new leases. Some just bought new cars in December.

Needless to say this bothers me. While we are building our businesses or "Fast Lane Vehicle's" we can never forget that we are NOT safe. When you get home from work and consider relaxing and enjoying netflix instead of pushing the ball forward. Remember " You are NOT safe"

When your boss has stressed you out and you just want to lounge around with the boys or the gals, remember "You are NOT safe".

This subject alone has always been a huge motivator for me.

A job is a great financial asset to building your business on the side, just do not let it cripple your action.

Because any day, any minute, this could be you or me.

Just wanted to share, today was a sad day as most of those guys were good friends of mines and without an additional source of income, they are now seemingly lost.

Tonight, I will go home and work because I know as long as I'm attached to my job. I AM NOT SAFE

Happy New Years All.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
"But building a business is risky!"

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana

This morning at 10-am my employer laid off 10 Engineers. Most of which did not have a rainy day fun, only a few had enough savings to hold off until they can find something else. Some just signed new leases. Some just bought new cars in December.

Needless to say this bothers me. While we are building our businesses or "Fast Lane Vehicle's" we can never forget that we are NOT safe. When you get home from work and consider relaxing and enjoying netflix instead of pushing the ball forward. Remember " You are NOT safe"

When your boss has stressed you out and you just want to lounge around with the boys or the gals, remember "You are NOT safe".

A job is a great financial asset to building your business on the side, just do not let it cripple your action.

Just wanted to share, today was a sad day as most of those guys were good friends of mines and without an additional source of income, they are now seemingly lost.

Tonight, I will go home and work because I know as long as I'm attached to my job. I AM NOT SAFE

Happy New Years All.

Same, This is one of the biggest drivers I have for my family and me as well.

I am a chemist at a pretty large company in Indianapolis and am still currently employed. I don't keep my ideas or ventures a secret from my co-workers and boss, I told them all that it is my intention to grow a business that makes a passive income 3x of my current salary then I'll consider leaving. Luckily they are all supportive and sometimes even ask questions on how I'm doing or updates.
Sometimes they even ask, why am I doing this I have a "safe" job at a big company. I always explain that I'm never safe and am always moving/improving myself so I can survive on my own without depending on other people/companies.

Sometimes it wallops them and sometimes it doesn't. They think I'm crazy because I have a higher position than them and they all feel safe...

Mr.Chaos

Wolves love Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Mar 16, 2016
Atlanta
Same, This is one of the biggest drivers I have for my family and me as well.

I am a chemist at a pretty large company in Indianapolis and am still currently employed. I don't keep my ideas or ventures a secret from my co-workers and boss, I told them all that it is my intention to grow a business that makes a passive income 3x of my current salary then I'll consider leaving. Luckily they are all supportive and sometimes even ask questions on how I'm doing or updates.
Sometimes they even ask, why am I doing this I have a "safe" job at a big company. I always explain that I'm never safe and am always moving/improving myself so I can survive on my own without depending on other people/companies.

Sometimes it wallops them and sometimes it doesn't. They think I'm crazy because I have a higher position than them and they all feel safe...

Wow, I feel the same way. In my current position, I lack control. In our businesses, if something goes bad we can react and adjust to compensate. If our companies lose a big contract or experience hardship, there is very little that we can do as employees to correct the ship so to speak

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

This morning at 10-am my employer laid off 10 Engineers. Most of which did not have a rainy day fun, only a few had enough savings to hold off until they can find something else. Some just signed new leases. Some just bought new cars in December.

Happy New Years All.

Job security is a myth. The ONLY real security is money in the bank.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Wow, I feel the same way. In my current position, I lack control. In our businesses, if something goes bad we can react and adjust to compensate. If our companies lose a big contract or experience hardship, there is very little that we can do as employees to correct the ship so to speak

Yup, the one thing that also stuck with me from the book was the matter of raises. I could work at my current job and invest everything I've got and by the end of the year at most I'll have a 15% raise to show for it and MAYBE a promotion(which won't happen every year). Where if I shifted my energy and focused on an entrepreneurship venture, I would be able to have a 1000% raise... which one sounds better to you? ;)

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I work in an industry notorious for its shaky employment. Every day is another roll of the dice if I'll have a job tomorrow.

And every day I put in a little more work at home to building my business. Because I don't want to have to worry not if, when I get the email to stay at home and wait by the phone.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
The funny thing is... sometimes deep down inside myself I do hope I get laid-off... So I can have more time invested and focus on finishing what I need to grow my business opportunities. I know MJ would say just QUIT already. But honestly, i don't have the guts or resources to dive in that deep yet. The truth is I need the health insurance and a steady paycheck to keep my family afloat.

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Job security is a myth. The ONLY real security is money in the bank.
Even so that can also be a bit unstable [emoji6]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I work in an industry that fires people on a whim. Every 7 years there are MAJOR layoffs (up to 40% per company), and yet every 7 years everyone is surprised when it happens.

When you said people went out and bought new houses and cars, I think you really meant to say that they currently occupy houses and drive cars owned by the bank. At least that's what nearly every employee I have ever met does.

I am friends with a lot of the people here, but in the end if they get laid off and lose everything they have no one to blame but themselves. I've made the choice to make money on the side and have been doing it since I was in grade 7. That was a choice I made that no one else was willing to do. Unfortunately it wasn't until recently in life that I realised I needed to be doing it in a better way, and building something up that didn't need me in the equation to thrive.

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
I was laid off too in August. I learned to cut my expenses, avoid signing leases on apartments (live with roommates who own the lease), and keep building a professional network. I'm still looking for a good full time job. My life has been on hold and things are VERY real being unemployed. However, it's still up to me to control my own fate

Mr.Chaos

Wolves love Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Mar 16, 2016
Atlanta
I work in an industry notorious for its shaky employment. Every day is another roll of the dice if I'll have a job tomorrow.

And every day I put in a little more work at home to building my business. Because I don't want to have to worry not if, when I get the email to stay at home and wait by the phone.

Spot on....it's a horrible feeling being completely out of control. Every day we walk through those doors.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
I work for a startup that is poised to get big. Also, at any given point for the last year, we've never been more than 60 days from being broke. If you want security, switch from boxers to briefs.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Thanks for the book, it will be on my to read list. Did you read it yourself?

Yes I did.

Short summary would be that it is more of a mindset/attitude changing book than a roadmap book like TMF . But well worth reading.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
"But building a business is risky!"
Not if customers love the value I give!
If there's one thing I realise about business, it is not a Hunger Games styled fight for the most cash and screwing everyone else, although there are struggles that get that bad.
It is merely providing for needs in a more efficient, faster way.
Needs that people understand well enough to hunt for solutions.

But I suppose every good thing has risk. This is so commandment of entry...:cigar:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Not if customers love the value I give!

I'm going to get a ton of slack/hate for this, but sometimes this "value" doesn't matter either.

It all comes down to who is running the show and who is dependent on whom.

I could provide a multitude of examples why personally both in a job setting, consultant setting, and ecom setting. I ALSO know others could provide examples on how I am wrong too...

In the end, your value has to make your customer/client dependent on you. If not, your value accounts for shit. I've also seen instances where even a dependent client still will cancel/make the wrong choice and you're left out in the cold if they were a large client.

In the end, who do you depend on?

Last edited:

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
In the end, your value has to make your customer/client dependent on you. If not, your value accounts for shit. I've also seen instances where even a dependent client still will cancel/make the wrong choice and you're left out in the cold if they were a large client.

In the end, who do you depend on?

There's a saying I spotted here. Must be from @Andy Black.

'Not everyone likes coffee.'

The best thing to do would be to up my scale, and not just limit to one customer. In that way, even if I did lose one, I wouldn't be shot down.

But you seen a client make a wrong decision? What happened? Why did he or she make the wrong decision? What was it?

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I make sure im always on probation at work to motivate me LOL
What do you work as?
A salesguy? I don't remember any profession with such a strict management!:yawn::grumpy:

Passion4u

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Oct 9, 2009

This morning at 10-am my employer laid off 10 Engineers. Most of which did not have a rainy day fund, only a few had enough savings to hold off until they can find something else. Some just signed new leases. Some just bought new cars in December.

Happy New Years All.

Thank you for this post. It was exactly what I needed to hear.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
What do you work as?
A salesguy? I don't remember any profession with such a strict management!:yawn::grumpy:
litigation support analyst. My job numbers are always just high enough not to get fired, i've received final warnings twice, been on the chopping block a few times, was on probation for months because of comin late to work.
but someone else always gets fired or quits before me LOL and i only make 32k a year and i dont ask for raises even though ive been there for 3 years now. Everyone makes at least 10k more than me.
It's practically a running joke in the office that im somehow still employed there.

Don't give zero F*cks, focusing on my fastlane.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
litigation support analyst. My job numbers are always just high enough not to get fired, i've received final warnings twice, been on the chopping block a few times, was on probation for months because of comin late to work.
but someone else always gets fired or quits before me LOL and i only make 32k a year and i dont ask for raises even though ive been there for 3 years now. Everyone makes at least 10k more than me.
It's practically a running joke in the office that im somehow still employed there.

Don't give zero F*cks, focusing on my fastlane.
I might say that it's pretty bold of you.
Even when I'm still studying and not yet full-time with the Fastlane, I don't dare to tally slack off!:bawling::blackeye:
I don't want to raise too much attention

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
i keep my head down now mostly, but first 2 years i let everyone know about the fastlane and what my goals were lol
It was risky i admit.

Utopia

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 7, 2016
Traveling

Happy New Years All.
Or take the time to manage your money well. An engineer that doesn't have an emergency fund is stupid.

Interesting when you say that this bothers you. I think this is how life should happen and is for the best of the world. The company does what it does to be profitable. It is your job as a worker to do what you can to be profitable in your own right. Not having assurances against this kind of thing is just irresponsible.

Mr.Chaos

Wolves love Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Mar 16, 2016
Atlanta
Or take the time to manage your money well. An engineer that doesn't have an emergency fund is stupid.

Interesting when you say that this bothers you. I think this is how life should happen and is for the best of the world. The company does what it does to be profitable. It is your job as a worker to do what you can to be profitable in your own right. Not having assurances against this kind of thing is just irresponsible.

You may have overlooked the point of the post. This is indeed how the world works, however, the majority of people live as if their job is the most secure thing on this planet. Whether they were engineers or associates at Walmart is irrelevant.

For the average person, this is fine. Save your money, grow that 401K if you can. If something ever happens to your employer, you are now the "Victim" because you let yourself become the "Victim". Statistically speaking " Most" people fail to save enough.

The majority of us here work so that we can better dictate what happens to us and not have to play "Victim". Having someone control my cash flow and my time is what bothers me. I could have 100k saved in the bank working 50 hour weeks for someone else's company and I would feel just as uncomfortable.

TLDR: " Don't let the comfort of your job distract you from your primary goals." is the point of the entire story.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.