The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

recommended jobs for preparing for own business?

Anything related to matters of the mind

genesisk5

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 25, 2020
south korea
my current job is software developer and it takes too much dedication by both mentally and physically(overtime work). I have only 2 hours to spend on my own business & self education during weekdays and although it's a software dev job, it only has trifling repeatitive works which is not helpful for practicing high level programming skills. I'm pretty sure self studying with udemy courses and analyzing open source projects would be much helpful for that.

so I decided to quit this job and get a new one with fewer working hours even if it will pay less. any jobs with less hours will work but just wondering if there are generally recommended ones among fastlaners for this purpose?
thank you very much in advance. best regards.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
I've always been a fan of smaller businesses for this purpose. A small business usually doesn't have as many jobs that are a repetition of the exact same thing over and over again. People have to do 2 or 3 things, anything from customer service to design to closing the shop and counting the money.

Even though the business is small, it helps you see the big picture. You can understand how the business works from working for a fairly short time in one. When you start to see the business as a system, you've learned something that's valuable to you as an entrepreneur.

genesisk5

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 25, 2020
south korea
I've always been a fan of smaller businesses for this purpose. A small business usually doesn't have as many jobs that are a repetition of the exact same thing over and over again. People have to do 2 or 3 things, anything from customer service to design to closing the shop and counting the money.

Even though the business is small, it helps you see the big picture. You can understand how the business works from working for a fairly short time in one. When you start to see the business as a system, you've learned something that's valuable to you as an entrepreneur.

sounds good. thank you man!

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
my current job is software developer and it takes too much dedication by both mentally and physically(overtime work). I have only 2 hours to spend on my own business & self education during weekdays and although it's a software dev job, it only has trifling repeatitive works which is not helpful for practicing high level programming skills. I'm pretty sure self studying with udemy courses and analyzing open source projects would be much helpful for that.

so I decided to quit this job and get a new one with fewer working hours even if it will pay less. any jobs with less hours will work but just wondering if there are generally recommended ones among fastlaners for this purpose?
thank you very much in advance. best regards.
I hate to say this, but..."it depends." I mean this in all sincerity.

Some examples to clarify. If you dream of running a dirty job franchise empire, say in plumbing or carpentry, then good candidate jobs would be as an apprentice in those fields. Even better if you can get in with a small firm as suggested by @Rabby so you can learn the skill and the biz.

However, if your dream is some sort of online opportunity then a small biz selling, marketing, etc as programmer may be more appropriate.

Even some larger firms are good if they have active programs to help employees move around through different branches/departments. Many do this in the hopes of growing slow lane mid+ level executives to stay with the company. But this is also a great way to get experience in all facets of biz while keeping a roof over your head until you're confident enough to move out on your own.

Sorry I can't give you a simple answer. But so much depends on our individuals desires and strengths. It's challenging in the beginning when we don't know what we want or have a over riding desire to do some specific thing. Opportunities that expose us to different things can help us to make the decisions on what to focus as we get more experience.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.