The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
Trigger warning: blood-curdling rage inducing content below.

One neat thing that the British did was create laws specifically so that they could make money from throwing people jail.

They brought that to the US, a practice which continues to this day in the "for profit prison system."

And get this: they do it to children too! See below:

View: https://twitter.com/bykenarmstrong/status/1446505198516535297

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igoy0sq4noQ

That twitter thread can be a whole Black Mirror episode in itself. The video did not come short of topping the dystopia meter either.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
I get where you are coming from, but see it differently. I see TR as an entrepreneur first and "coach" second. He sold more tapes than people before him. That was a business. He created a product and sold, sold, sold. In that way, he definitely walks the talk. Same with fitness. Now he invests in companies that are managed by others. So what?

The irony is that you are right about the limitation created by the constraints of "must have been there, done that". Problem is, great advice does come at a cost (often, not always).

Lately we are drowning in information and are starved for insightful knowledge. How do you suggest we separate those who can help from those who are profiteering?

My choice? I'll go after the best champion I can find to learn his method on how to win.

Learn from the best, become one of the best, surpass the best.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Last night I lost another show that was starting to get kind of interesting. Season 3 of Netflix's "YOU" released this month. They've had woke themes in the show from the start, but it was mostly tolerable.

I shut it off after the 3rd episode when the main character's (a serial killer couple) child gets measles and is put in the hospital. It starts with a nurse saying:

some brain-dead anti-vacx0r got him sick, and is probably out there getting god knows how many other people infected with a horrible life-threatening virus that shouldn't even be a thing anymore

Was pretty annoyed, but let it play on until the last seconds of the show when another character apologizes to the main character. He chose not to vacX his kids and they got measles and passed it on. They slow the man's words to a crawl and focus on his lips as he explains why he doesn't believe in putting chemicals into their bodies and thought antib0dies would be enough. Fine whatever.

The main character hands him the food he just purchased from her. The man turns to leave the store. The main character (whose theme is killing people who might put her family at risk) calls his name, and then hits him in the head with a rolling pin, knocking him to the ground and the show ends. I'm sure you can figure out the underlying message there.

Seriously?! Fuuuuuuuuuu*k "YOU"

In other news...

Last edited:

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
At this rate, foreign works like the recent Korean Squid Game will supersede the woke garbage faster than we think. Probably one of Netflix's current saving graces.

Very surprising to find Korean movies pushing up their A-game.

As for Malaysia...well...F*ck the general culture. People blame the government for stifling creativity, but true creativity comes from yourself...not what some bureaucrat thinks. The Squid Game actually fought through many years of limbo and financial difficulties...and it still came out fantastic. Sometimes you have to flip the bird at production groups in general.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
At this rate, foreign works like the recent Korean Squid Game will supersede the woke garbage faster than we think. Probably one of Netflix's current saving graces.
Didn't watch it because so many people were talking about it. Figured it was probably garbage shrouded in hype. I didn't think the Hunger Games was all that great, and that's what people have been comparing it to.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Didn't watch it because so many people were talking about it. Figured it was probably garbage shrouded in hype. I didn't think the Hunger Games was all that great, and that's what people have been comparing it to.
Well, do-or-die competition genres can be easily mistaken for the action-packed fighting.
But the Squid Game features much more sharper turns and anxiety moments than the Hunger Games.
You have good friends suddenly turning villain...unexpected good deeds...and so on.

What HG does have- that Squid possesses less of - is world-building.
The HG author recently released a fourth book in the HG series called 'The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes', which actually used the main villain of the series, President Snow, as its main protagonist...talked about his early life mentoring in the Games. Throughout the tale, you can see where he got all the ideas to implement the Hunger Games as we know it.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

TBH this is my favorite thread on the internet :) If only it could be formalized somehow ... I think the collective hivemind of this forum has enough interesting tidbits in here alone that it could make it into a "Tools of Titans" or Almanack type 10,000-page book.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
"Proactive people focus their efforts in the Circle of Influence. They work on the things they can do something about. The nature of their energy is positive, enlarging and magnifying, causing their Circle of Influence to increase." (Stephen R. Covey, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People)

@Kak I know you say the same all the time.

For the rest, seems people watch too much Netflix here. Just an observation.

Edit: and news.

Last edited:
G

Guest-5ty5s4

You could get cynical about this, or you could realize that the world is simply the product of the imagination of a small group of very stubborn people, and become a very stubborn, imaginative person yourself and end up with the world you want.

This! 1,000,000 times this.

It's true, it's all arbitrary, but you can become the person imposing your imagination on the world.

That's what we do here :) Your products, your business, your influence.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
It's been a long time since I read a business book. I recently purchased The Minimalist Entrepreneur by Sahil Lavingia. I had been waiting for this book, thinking I'd enjoy reading it. After 37% I find myself so bored I don't think I'll finish reading it.

I don't know how I could read so many business books before. They're all so terribly repetitive and dreary now it feels like reading the same book over and over again.

I'm back to reading autobiographies, biographies, and other non-business stuff.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
"Proactive people focus their efforts in the Circle of Influence. They work on the things they can do something about. The nature of their energy is positive, enlarging and magnifying, causing their Circle of Influence to increase." (Stephen R. Covey, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People)

@Kak I know you say the same all the time.

For the rest, seems people watch too much Netflix here. Just an observation.

Edit: and news.

How much is "too" much, according to you?

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
How much is "too" much, according to you?
I’m just shooting shit Lex. You decide what’s too much. It’s a rants thread.

for me, any Netflix is too much. But that’s just me. And I break my own rule sometimes, no one is perfect.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I’m just shooting shit Lex. You decide what’s too much. It’s a rants thread.

for me, any Netflix is too much. But that’s just me. And I break my own rule sometimes, no one is perfect.

Any has become too much for me too!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Antifragile @Lex DeVille

My kids have me watching the series “How To Train Your Dragon” on Netflix. It’s all I’m watching at the mo, and it’s great.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I have found that scientists know a lot about how nature behaves, but that engineers and businessmen know the most about how to actually use science in practical ways...in real life.

Without application, knowledge is almost useless.

The researchers blaze a trail and discover new, interesting things... But nothing good is done with it until the engineers and businessmen get ahold of it.

chimichangatime

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Mar 1, 2018
sacramento, ca
People in the US need to hear this. We're selling ourselves out on a massive scale. All the political rhetoric lately about "we have to bust billionaires to pay for our program that has no cost" is a horrible sham. If you can't see it after reading below, your brain is already microwaved and I can't help you. Let me explain.

First it was the $600 bank account inspections. Basically, every tiny bank account in America will be reported continuously to the IRS. Doesn't matter if they change the amount to $10,000... it affects anyone with a bank account, even a part timer. Does that sound like it targets billionaires? No, because their wealth is sheltered all over the world, and certainly not in tiny bank accounts. It is surveillance, and it's leading in the direction of confiscating wealth from the middle class. Will inspecting all these tiny bank accounts increase revenue so we can "build back better"? No, because they have to DOUBLE the size of the IRS to do it. Double! Does that sound like profitable banditry?

Now it's "we're going to tax UNREALIZED capital gains," and thereby "target billionaires." Really? So let's examine what that means. Unrealized means you haven't sold the asset, so you don't have any money from it yet. But they're going to tax you for it. I suppose then you'll be forced to sell the asset to pay the taxes won't you? Do you figure some billionaires might help you out by buying it at firesale prices? I bet some of them would love to help you.

Ok, but what's an example of an unrealized capital gain? Well, your house, your retirement plan, your small business, interest on life insurance, employee options plans, stocks held in an investment account... huh... it sounds like things non-billionaires have, doesn't it?

I bet someone is thinking, "but they'll exempt people's houses!" What if they do? Will they exempt small businesses? Stock portfolios? Baseball cards? Even if they exempted most things, they're still expanding a terrible, draconic precedent. They're asserting "we can tax you on something you don't even have. We can make you sell an asset to cash out our taxes." Think that won't be expanded? Have fun in the coming dark ages if you're that naive.

What about those billionaires?! It will get them too right? Well very likely not, because they have sophisticated tax shelters, and can do their accounting in such a way that their assets never appear to grow in value. They can hire a legion of CPAs and people with PhDs in finance and JDs in Taxation Law. Plus, they have money stashed all over the world, let's be clear about that.

Please note: there are a few more than 600 billionaires in the country. It would be easy to target them if that's what anyone was trying to do. If they said "this only applies to people with over 1 billion in assets" nobody else would be affected. But that's not the plan.

All this is is a cash grab backed up by unprecedented surveillance of individual wealth, targeting the middle class. Just like all the income tax talks, it has nothing to do with billionaires (as if billionaires care about income tax... what #^#@ income?). This time, they've got their eye on the whole bag. If we're stupid enough to let this go because "it targets evil billionaires reee," I think we're done. Seriously, this is the item on the checklist that you know once you mark the box, we're going full Venezuela. And I mean fast.

Politicians, government bureaus, and academics live off of taxes. What they don't eat or spend on their projects, they lend to Fortune 100s and billionaires, or use to guarantee loans for the same. Even the Justice Dept is jumping in, talking about redlining. How does the government lend billionaires billions, and then not understand the mystery that a lot of their loans don't go to people in poor minority neighborhoods? Obviously, they know who they lent the money to, but sure let's investigate the "mystery." Stop falling for this ridiculous diversion!

They're never going to target billionaires, and they see you as a source of revenue. And it's no wonder they don't respect people's intelligence and humanity enough to see them as peers, because all they have to do is say "rich folks" or push any of a number of emotional buttons, and an army of mindless shills jumps in to defend the very people who take food out of their children's mouths, and attack anyone who asks questions.

Take a minute and think about it.

Regarding the unrealized gains tax:
"The tax would apply to people who make more than US$ 100 million a year for three years in a row or if one makes US$ 1 billion in annual income. The people impacted by the tax would be able to take a deduction if their assets plunge in value."

Let's fight misinformation, not spread it. Middle class doesn't make $100M/year. This is absolutely targeting the mega rich.

re: $600 limit:
Banks claim this would be an invasion of consumer privacy, with the ICBA saying it would allow the government to “monitor” account information. However, CAP analysts Seth Hanlon and Galen Hendricks argue, “Only the prior year’s total inflow and total outflow would be reported on annual forms. No one would say that the IRS “monitors” you on your job because it receives a W-2 from your employer with your total wages every January.”
Also, it's $10,000 now not $600. Straight from the horse's mouth:
FACT SHEET: Tax Compliance Proposals Will Improve Tax Fairness While Protecting Taxpayer Privacy

Again, please fight misinformation.

(my apologies if this has already been pointed out later in the thread)

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Let's fight misinformation, not spread it. Middle class doesn't make $100M/year. This is absolutely targeting the mega rich.

FACT SHEET: Tax Compliance Proposals Will Improve Tax Fairness While Protecting Taxpayer Privacy

BS.

The $10,000 limit is still nothing. Almost all of us on this entire forum will still be scrutinized.

How many wrongs does it take to make a right?

Also, from your link: "Treasury estimates that the cost of tax evasion among the top 1 percent of taxpayers exceeds $160 billion a year."

$160 billion is nothing.

US Federal Spending in 2021 is already above $22 trillion. (And the year ain't over folks!)

$160 billion out of $22 trillion is less than a percent.

This is not about "helping" you, me, the country, or anybody. This is about control.

Let's not forget that the Fed has printed an astronomical sum of money this year, too.

Also, don't forget that the income tax started as a tax only applied on the richest Americans and now affects everyone.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Kinda funny how Youtube just decided to go YOLO with their ad income and just 2-3X the amount of ads on everything.

I used to see one or two ads in a full session. Now I see 1-2 ads per video.

The user experience is way worse but I guess they don't care at this stage - they are cashing in big time.

Id love to see the 2021 figures, they probably doubled this.

View attachment 40504
I cant remember when I last saw an ad on youtube. Adblock plus ftw.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Man Amazon can go suck a lemon. They make it freaking impossible to order a damn kindle book (Great Rat Race Escape ) without their bloody "1 click" BS. I don't want to use my business CC for this! It is freaking impossible to turn that shit off. I even have "disable one click everywhere" selected, and it still shows up and wont even let me modify my freaking payment method.

So if you have a kindle purchase and return, and then purchase again, I am sorry MJ. I guess I need to go in and change my default payment to something else, and see if that works. Freaking Amazon. Thanks for making my life easy.
Lol and I thought it was me who is too stupid to set this up correctly. Every F*cking month I have to answer questions from my bookkeeper about my F*cking personal impulse buys with Amazon 1 click :rofl:

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
A homeschooling business would do so well right now.

- Niche down for a certain demographic that really want their kids out of the school system
- Get excellent top tier teachers that have high values
- Create a great system with content, exercises, projects, tests, extra resources etc
- Create a parent networking system too for support and meetups

If a kid is doing homeschool for 5-10 years and you charge like 4k a year then you have a really good customer LTV.
Also, that is amazing value on the parent side too and you avoid having some brainwashed kid.

---

1,000 kids = 4m a year

15 top teachers = 80k x 15 -1.2m
Website, ads, and support systems - let's say another 800k

2 million a year clean.

Also, it would likely be the type of business to do super well with word of mouth marketing.

Plus it seems like the type of business that would get investment easily enough and also be very sellable.

Has anyone looked into this?
Yeaaa I already found them. They offer everything for free and the best curriculum on earth.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
stop reading my stupid rants in this thread and go build something that you're proud of

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I’m so weirdly hyper competitive that I don’t want to share cool shit with anyone until I know I’m already doing it better than them, but then I remembered that I kinda like you people and.. oh well.. here goes something.

HAVE YOU GUYS READ CONVICT CONDITIONING?!? I’m super in love with his crazy a$$ marketing/info/methodology/pacing!

it’s a workout book that eschews weights as “a bs marketing trick that made nautilus millions”

I’m loving it!

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida

My take is contrarian and wasn't handed to me, so I didn't "spread" anything. I read what was being spread and disagreed with it. You might say I'm like Lysol, or good general fitness with high vitamin D levels. People sneezing out what a great idea more taxes and bank surveillance are are the spreaders.

To spot the real misinformation, a deeper reading of political process is required. I was going to write an essay, but I'll just summarize.
  • 1895. A direct tax such as income tax was unconstitutional unless it correlated to the number of Representatives one's State had in Congress. No taxation w/o representation, etc.
  • Early 1900s. Baily rolled an income tax into a tariff bill to defeat the bill by making it unconstitutional. It worked, but also backfired, leading to the 16th Amendment as a compromise.
  • 1909. Tariffs were still a problem for a few reasons.
    • They squeezed the economy.
    • They were leading to rampant corruption and bribery in Congress by industrial interests and the super wealthy. Although, plenty in Congress enjoyed the attention.
    • The government was dependent on them for revenue, but they had plenty of things they wanted to spend money on. So even if they knew it was better for the people and the economy, the 'free trade' faction could never pass a reasonable tariff schedule.
  • 1909-1913. An income tax on the very rich was established. Using a process much like the special interest interference with the tariffs, the established rich made most of what they do exempt from the tax.
  • Regular folks didn't bat an eye because most were not taxed at all, and the highest bracket was 7% on income over $500,000. That's $15,000,000 in today's dollars (yes, our currency is the Thai Baht of 1913).
  • By 1925 the ceiling came down and almost everyone was paying income tax. At the same time, the rate went as high as 25%.
  • Remember... this was supposed to free American politics from the tariff. Regular working people were also supposed to be exempt.
  • By 1930, on top of even the poorest people owing income tax, we also got to work on the Smoot-Hawley Tariff, which sparked a trade war, catastrophically deepened the depression, and starved Americans who could not afford food because of special interest price protections. And of course, Smoot-Hawley was proposed by industry investors and owners... and paid for by them.
  • By 2021, skipping a few years, you work for the government half the year. Elon and Jeff, interesting fellows as they are, are the beneficiaries more than you. Each of them gets billions in grants and subsidized loans. And then your tax money helps politicians buy their products... on behalf of the people of course. Although... who do you suppose tells Congress which things it would be great to buy? Or to award a government contract on?
  • By no means a comprehensive list, but there are some insights here:
  • Let me know if you don't see the overwhelming trend. Hint: they sell out to a corrupt individual, an organized crime front, a large corporate interest, or a foreign nation. The result is that your tax money is outright given to a criminal, or awarded without bid to an inflated contract, or absorbed into fake payrolls. Or, they can be purchased to write laws. Then your choice of medical care, housing, schooling, and other interesting things is restricted.
  • So let's summarize:
    • The problem was that the tariff was not a good enough source of revenue, based on what the government wanted to spend. It needed to go down, but if they did that, they couldn't finance projects for their hard working special-interest friends.
    • So we needed a very tiny income tax only on the rich. Ok here, 16th amendment, followed by Hoover's progressive tax.
    • Markets crash, so we keep raising the tax on working people, exempting the very rich, and making even more tariffs, the latter of which causes a global economic meltdown.
    • So we:
      • Failed to mitigate the problems with tariff.
      • Failed to protect the working classes from income taxation.
      • Completely failed to tax the wealthy that the income tax was aimed at in the beginning.
      • Triggered an economic meltdown.
      • Made lots of money in politics, for those who knew the game.
      • Made lots of money corrupting the government for profit, for those who knew that game.
Can you see my skepticism about new taxes that supposedly solve the problems? Even if the "it only applies to this or that" makes it to the final bill (which is not at all guaranteed - bills are revised in the legislative process), what does that mean? It's a new source of revenue, based on what you haven't sold. History tells us it's likely to apply to everyone within 5 years. Well, except Billionaires, and now Trillionaires.

The fact sheet is a hilarious touch by the way. I need to dig up a fact sheet on Smoot-Hawley from 1930.

Last edited:

Mammoth

Amor Fati
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Dec 4, 2019
México
HAVE YOU GUYS READ CONVICT CONDITIONING?!? I’m super in love with his crazy a$$ marketing/info/methodology/pacing!

it’s a workout book that eschews weights as “a bs marketing trick that made nautilus millions”

I’m loving it!
They also released a video series showing how to do all of the exercises and their progressions. Try and find it if you can!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
The first ever post I saw of someone’s. Ignore list. I can already tell this person’s take, on literally anything, is worthless to me.

Mammoth

Amor Fati
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Dec 4, 2019
México
I noticed that the fella next to me on my flight back from Houston this afternoon was reading The Business of the 21st Century by Robert Kiyosaki...

I know (the hard way) that this is the book that MLM recruiters lend out as a screening process to their prospects. It's a slick sales pitch from a well known name that's supposed to put to bed a bunch of the reasons why not to go into an MLM.

So near the end of the flight I ask him how the book is so far. Told him that I'd read it before, but if he really wanted to read something interesting, I told him to check out TGRRE by MJ. Even pulled it up on Amazon on my phone and he took a photo of the listing.

I really hope that he buys it, and that we see him here someday soon.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.