The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Been thinking about hiring a house cleaner.

Recently received a direct mail advertisement from a cleaning company.

The ad was effective enough to get me interested to investigate the company, perhaps calling and hiring.

As I wrote in Unscripted , "advertising" more than likely indicates a productocracy doesn't exist and the company NEEDS advertising to survive.

I want to do business with productocracies, not marketers.

In my investigation at Yelp and other places, this company pretty much had the worst online reviews of all the cleaning companies.

As I wrote in Unscripted and explored via the productocracy concept, if your company can't survive without advertising, you're running a marketing company.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
Does Lightning McQueen buy car insurance, or life insurance?

If oil is made from dinosaurs, and plastic is made from oil, plastic dinosaurs are made from real dinosaurs.

2006 is as far away as 2030.

giphy.gif

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Conference/networking rant...

I'm at my first conference ever. Thought it would be a casual event with cool business people interested in hanging out, but so far I've mostly met "transformational" coaches, people into spirituality, and other weird stuff (one guy was telling me about his dog reincarnating after 6 months - I thought he was joking, but he was dead serious) as well as people giving talks just to pitch something (with a website straight out of the 90s).

Then there's all the noise and far too many people around, making it extremely hard to connect with anyone except for those I got to know online prior to the event. Also, I can't stand all the "where are you from" questions and vapid small talk.

Glad I didn't have any huge expectations. I suspected this would happen, so I'm not really that disappointed, but it's still a good lesson. I went to this conference primarily to meet people I already knew and as a sort of a "test drive" to be better prepared for the Fastlane summit. If it happens, I'm pretty sure it will be 10000x better than this.

Right now, I can say, based on my personal experience, that big conferences (with more than perhaps 100-150 people) are largely a waste of time for me. Better to connect with select people online and just meet one-on-one or in a small group.

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
Holy Cow,

Tony Robbins just asked me to go on tour, I'm so stoked. But why is there a link to buy and subscribe only? Hmmm ;pScreen Shot 2018-10-18 at 8.13.25 PM.png

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
New pet store opened up at my local mall.

Walked in and Labrador retrievers, French bull dogs, Winnie dogs go for around $4K.

Oh and there is also the option of buying it in payments.:rofl:

Why don't people just go to the local shelter and adopt a dog?

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
New pet store opened up at my local mall.

Walked in and Labrador retrievers, French bull dogs, Winnie dogs go for around $4K.

Oh and there is also the option of buying it in payments.:rofl:

Why don't people just go to the local shelter and adopt a dog?

B-b-but we're allergic to money!

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
Are you a competitive person? Or a result-driven person?

Although it might not sound too meaningful, I think it's an interesting distinction. If you're competitive you want to become better in order to beat others. If you're result-driven, you've got internal motivation to become better for the sake of achieving a better result.

TinyOldLady

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
At the beginning I thought this thread will be boring, but its quite entertaining and interesting :smile:
(well, that was my random thought contribution here :smile2:)

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Been thinking about hiring a house cleaner.

Recently received a direct mail advertisement from a cleaning company.

The ad was effective enough to get me interested to investigate the company, perhaps calling and hiring.

As I wrote in Unscripted , "advertising" more than likely indicates a productocracy doesn't exist and the company NEEDS advertising to survive.

I want to do business with productocracies, not marketers.

In my investigation at Yelp and other places, this company pretty much had the worst online reviews of all the cleaning companies.

As I wrote in Unscripted and explored via the productocracy concept, if your company can't survive without advertising, you're running a marketing company.
Something kept hammering me for weeks. Oddly, it was from my uni classes.

My marketing lecturer is a 20-year veteran in B2B, consulting for automotive and communications companies in Australia.

His lectures were filled with tales of his time arranging research and focus group sessions for corporate clients. Of course, 90% of my cohort were kids that just wanted to pass the course and disappear, so naturally, they were getting stoned and glazing over.

On a recent lecture surrounding the topic of marketing intermediaries, he said something significant:
'The 4Ps of marketing (price, promotion, product and place) are the end result of a lot of work behind the scenes. The 4Ps are the WHAT of marketing. The question is, HOW? How did it all get there?'

How did the fresh fish get sent to the wet market?

How did the bricks and steel get shipped to construction sites?

Bought at what price? At what arrangement? For what purpose?

In other words, marketing relies heavily on the supply chain and supplier partner management side of things. Which is probably an iteration of the Commandment of Entry by itself.

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
Another random thought: Is anyone else pumped for nanotechnology? It's probably not really on many peoples radar, but man - nanotechnology is going to completely change the world.

Imagine a 15 foot flatscreen tv that you can fold up and put in your pocket.

Imagine a suit based off of the "Disappearing Octopus" - giving people complete invisibility.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NQUqR_YpsA

Imagine a world where you buy a pair of clothes and you never have to wash them.

Imagine a chefs knife that never dulls - and is always razor sharp.

Imagine cars made of a material that is paper thin, yet 10 times stronger than steel - giving cars, planes, trains etc. insane MPG.

I will say one thing. When I am a wealthy man, I am going to be buying up nanotech labs like a madman.

I’m extremely excited about the potential of it in healthcare, more specifically - in longevity. I follow the SENS foundation and a few other organizations hell bent on disrupting the aging process. I have issues with dying one day. Call me weird.

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
This is my random thought/gripe for the day. The vast majority of people in this world absolutely suck at calling you back, answering their phones, follow up, etc.

The manufacturer that I was in love with because they were so responsive and Innovative minded, has been non responsive for 2 weeks.

It seems to be the culture in 90% of the places I’ve worked with so far. Literally throwing design money and a plan forecasting 10K units for next year at them, and I can’t get them back on the phone. They are screwing up my timeline bad.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Spent Friday afternoon with @AllenCrawley trolling the desert.

Afterward, Allen echoed how cool it was to spend the day in the desert (to him "business was closed") but his business still made money, because it's truly open 24/7/365.

Fastlane baby!

IMG_0510.JPG IMG_0511.JPG IMG_0498.JPG IMG_0497.JPG IMG_0494.JPG IMG_0492.JPG IMG_0491.JPG

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I kinda miss the old internet around 2005.

it was like the Wild West, nothing had as much of a grand meaning. People just put stuff online because they thought it was cool. Was less serious. You could only access it through PC, and the internet was like this mysterious and esoteric no-man's land that few people understood.

Now it's just like Disneyland. Safer than ever, but the fun is taken out of it. Every place you visit someone is trying to get you to subscribe to an email list. Everything has some political agenda, there's a premium version for more content...

yeah the old internet was fun, but YouTube and Wikipedia is pretty cool, not to mention this forum.

Limitless4Life

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Dec 20, 2016
I always wondered why there are no gyms in airports. Or ‘nap rooms’. I’d pay $10/hr for a bed in the airport instead of laying on the ground using my backpack as a pillow.

Imagine hitting heavy weights/cardio then sauna before your flight? Grab a juice/protein shake on the way out... That would be sick. Something rich people would pay a premium for because it’s a better use of time than sitting around.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015

it was like the Wild West, nothing had as much of a grand meaning. People just put stuff online because they thought it was cool. Was less serious. You could only access it through PC, and the internet was like this mysterious and esoteric no-man's land that few people understood.

Now it's just like Disneyland. Safer than ever, but the fun is taken out of it. Every place you visit someone is trying to get you to subscribe to an email list. Everything has some political agenda, there's a premium version for more content...

yeah the old internet was fun, but YouTube and Wikipedia is pretty cool, not to mention this forum.
Ah, I remember those days. I miss them. I remember when YouTube first came out.

Connor

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jan 2, 2012
South Carolina
I always wondered why there are no gyms in airports. Or ‘nap rooms’. I’d pay $10/hr for a bed in the airport instead of laying on the ground using my backpack as a pillow.

They have nap rooms in many airports- Minute Suites is one of the brands.

But I like the idea of gyms! That would be pretty sweet to get a workout in. Some of the lounges (i.e. AmEx Centurion) have a spa, but I haven't seen any with a workout facility.

100ToOne

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jul 1, 2018

How old were you then if you don't mind me asking?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Love the idea, rent a space and fill it with sleep/nap pods. Probably would be more profitable than a food stand.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Ah, I remember those days. I miss them. I remember when YouTube first came out.
I know right. It was like the coolest shit, and the vids were like just friends getting together with a camera.

How old were you then if you don't mind me asking?
Well I'm born in 1993, so I guess I'd be 11 or 12 depending on the time of year.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Lol I need to move out.

I mean, it's not that I don't love getting woken up my my mom and sister screaming at and apparently hitting each other, and me having to step in between them and try not to escalate shit (because last time my mom kicked me out), but I mean hey, I'm almost 25 I should have my own space.

My family is loony and basically everything is drama with them, I don't get how people are like that.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Are you a competitive person? Or a result-driven person?

Although it might not sound too meaningful, I think it's an interesting distinction. If you're competitive you want to become better in order to beat others. If you're result-driven, you've got internal motivation to become better for the sake of achieving a better result.
I'm non-competitive. When I'm playing against someone one-to-one then I don't actually want to "beat" them. I just find the idea of winning and losing odd.

Hmmm... but I don't want to get timed when I go for a run and I don't keep a journal when I go down the gym. As soon as I get a time then I want to beat it and it takes all the fun out of it for me.

I just enjoy the movement.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

GSF

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Aug 25, 2012
I'm non-competitive. When I'm playing against someone one-to-one then I don't actually want to "beat" them. I just find the idea of winning and losing odd.

Hmmm... but I don't want to get timed when I go for a run and I don't keep a journal when I go down the gym. As soon as I get a time then I want to beat it and it takes all the fun out of it for me.

I just enjoy the movement.
I'm very competitive, like to win, I wonder if that's result of growing up in all boy family close in age, I see it in my sons too who are also close in age.

Last edited:

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
After Columbus discovered America and headed back to Europe, he didn't stop in Spain first. He first went to Portugal who had earlier turned him down. He met with the King and rubbed it in his face. Only after that did he go to Spain.

Just wanted to share that since I thought it's fascinating and hilarious. We need to be more like Columbus.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I always wondered why there are no gyms in airports.

My guess is that the $/sf is too expensive to rent for the amount that you charge for working out there. And they would need a shower and locker room facility as well.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Love the idea, rent a space and fill it with sleep/nap pods. Probably would be more profitable than a food stand.

I don't know, when I think of this, I'm thinking you get $20/hr for a 10' x 4' space. That's the price of a sandwich and drink in an airport.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
After Columbus discovered America and headed back to Europe, he didn't stop in Spain first. He first went to Portugal who had earlier turned him down. He met with the King and rubbed it in his face. Only after that did he go to Spain.

Just wanted to share that since I thought it's fascinating and hilarious. We need to be more like Columbus.

Then, Spain brought so many gold and silver from the Americas to their country, causing inflation and devastating their economy.

Perhaps we should start a history thread.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.