The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Sander

When in doubt, dare.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Mar 19, 2014
Yikes, a box office weekend of $7 million. And that's at inflationary numbers.

Movie theaters are in trouble.

The last time I went to a movie theater I think Obama was president.

I offered my wife a visit to the theater to see Top Gun since she's a fan and she looked at me incredulously and said "hell no" - instead we streamed it in our own theatre... no gunky seats, no sticky floors, no driving, no traffic, no obnoxious teens, no coughing spectators three seats down... the value skew of staying home in the comfort of your own home will be the end of the theatre experience, unless value skew is somehow dramatically raised.

Me and my wife have actually been a lot more at the cinema in the last six months than ever before. Although, we often go when there aren't many other around. I love watching movies there instead of wathcing them at home. If it weren't for the relative high price, we'd go more often than now.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
GET "Marathon, Revised and Updated 5th Edition: The Ultimate Training Guide: Advice, Plans, and Programs for Half and Full Marathons" by Hal Higdon on Kindle for $1.99

I just bought it although I ran my first marathon a little over a month ago. I used Hal Higdon's app for 100% of my marathon training, so I don't hesitate to share his book which is on sale.
Good book. I've run a number of marathons quite successfully. Did use his training methods early on.

Happy running!

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007

I offered my wife a visit to the theater to see Top Gun since she's a fan and she looked at me incredulously and said "hell no" - instead we streamed it in our own theatre... no gunky seats, no sticky floors, no driving, no traffic, no obnoxious teens, no coughing spectators three seats down... the value skew of staying home in the comfort of your own home will be the end of the theatre experience, unless value skew is somehow dramatically raised.
It's difficult to fathom how they can remain in business. Too much noise and distraction. Home is far better.

Does that 7M include streaming numbers?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Holy crap, this is all massively helpful! Thank you so much for taking the time to share.

I want to be clear that I'm not shopping based on results, but trust. I've had people guarantee me 10x ROAS (LOL) and others who won't talk about anything related to what they're going to do, prior results, etc. As an outsider it's strange, but reading your previous points it does make a lot more sense.

I've run my own ads for a while now on many of those platforms so I get that things aren't so simple, but hearing your perspective helped it "click" that I probably sound like I want guaranteed results - even though I actually just want to know I'm hiring someone who can do the job well, communicate, and is trustworthy.

The part I quoted resonates the most, as it's exactly the part where the conversation essentially stalls on their end. No shared results, no industry experience (I don't expect this, it's too niche tbh), and they're just not straightforward at all. To me, this feels super weird, but that's probably just be a hurdle I have to overcome by taking a calculated leap of faith lol.

This is golden advice and clears up a lot for me. This is a much better question and giving them access to my data before committing to a deal would be hugely beneficial.

Thanks again, I feel less dumb and more confident now.
I forgot to reply when I saw this originally.

I see it as a red flag when someone wants to know what ROI I can get them. How would I know without working with you?

In our initial call we look over their account and I point out what I can see and what I'd do. They're welcome to take those actions themselves, or discuss us helping them.

I never promise results, I promise we'll follow a process. I then spend a lot of time explaining our process and how it works best when there's a lot of feedback, questions, visibility, etc..

I'm showing how we'll work and I'm filtering out people who don't want to work that way.

Happy to hop on a call if you want to role play it with me.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria

Popcorn! Thats the value skew for me. Someone, who makes them and so eone , who cleans up after. ;)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Does that 7M include streaming numbers?

I don't think so... that number is so bad, that doesn't even seem plausible.

Side note.... perhaps too many people are watching that new Game of Thrones travesty on HBO ... after how they butchered the original conclusion to the franchise, there's no way in hell I'm going to invest any of my entertainment time into that shit... as they say... fool me once...

In fact, I'm shocked at people would give it the time of day, considering how the screwed up the last one. They won't get me again. I'd rather watch birds, mow the lawn, or take a swim.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
G

Guest-5ty5s4

I don't think so... that number is so bad, that doesn't even seem plausible.

Side note.... perhaps too many people are watching that new Game of Thrones travesty on HBO ... after how they butchered the original conclusion to the franchise, there's no way in hell I'm going to invest any of my entertainment time into that shit... as they say... fool me once...

In fact, I'm shocked at people would give it the time of day, considering how the screwed up the last one. They won't get me again. I'd rather watch birds, mow the lawn, or take a swim.
Same... but my girlfriend will end up watching it, and if we are spending time together, it will be on, so I will end up watching it... Lol!

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland

At least 2 cinemas (movie theatres) have opened or are going to be opening soon in my city of around 350k people. I was surprised. One of the chains, Cineworld, is close to bankruptcy though and it's stock has fallen 99% in the last 5 years.

I did go and see Top Gun: Maverick at the cinema (first time I had been in probably 7 years) when it came out and there was probably only around 10 people in the screening and this was in its first week.

For some of the new ones opening, their skew seems to be luxury or 270 degree screens with special effects that people can't replicate at home.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

1661801802744.png

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
View attachment 44919

Pretty crazy to see how leveraged up all these people are.
These people deserve to be poor.

Meanwhile, Ben Mallah with millions in the bank and hundreds of millions in assets, refuses to buy a car less than 2 years old.

xShepherdx

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
354%
Apr 11, 2022
Idaho
Hey Andy, thanks for taking the time to reply! I really appreciate hearing your perspective.

I forgot to reply when I saw this originally.

I see it as a red flag when someone wants to know what ROI I can get them. How would I know without working with you?

In our initial call we look over their account and I point out what I can see and what I'd do. They're welcome to take those actions themselves, or discuss us helping them.
I can totally see now that my question would raise red flags without the proper wording. I was just trying to get a feel for what to expect and the trustworthiness of the firm, but as Bekit and BizyDad pointed out my questioning could have been far better.

I never promise results, I promise we'll follow a process. I then spend a lot of time explaining our process and how it works best when there's a lot of feedback, questions, visibility, etc..

I'm showing how we'll work and I'm filtering out people who don't want to work that way.
This is exactly what I'm looking for. I just want to know how my money is being spent and what to expect. I can see now that asking about results is a poor approach though.

Happy to hop on a call if you want to role play it with me.
PM'd!

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
At least 2 cinemas (movie theatres) have opened or are going to be opening soon in my city of around 350k people. I was surprised. One of the chains, Cineworld, is close to bankruptcy though and it's stock has fallen 99% in the last 5 years.

I did go and see Top Gun: Maverick at the cinema (first time I had been in probably 7 years) when it came out and there was probably only around 10 people in the screening and this was in its first week.

For some of the new ones opening, their skew seems to be luxury or 270 degree screens with special effects that people can't replicate at home.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

View attachment 44920
I went to one of those shows, I think it was the latest Jumanjii, in one of those 270 degree shows. It was horrible. The way they added stuff on the side did not at all fit with the movie, and it was a super low resolution and it looked like crap. All it did was take me and my wife out of the experience and made us both feel nauseated. I would NEVER go see another one.

I built a projector theater room in my basement. I only get to watch like 1 movie a month down there, but when I do it is nearly as good as being in the theater. It is "only" a 1080p projector, but still looks fantastic for movies. I got the projector for 90% off from an elderly couple who no longer wanted it in their home. I am running a used ATMOS receiver, with some discount "previous gen" tower speakers I also got for like 70% off new prices. I used some blackout curtains and cheap king size black flat sheets off of amazon and hung them on the roof and walls to get a blacked out theater room. I bought a can of paint that works well for theater rooms and just painted the whole wall.

Overall costs were about $1500 for the whole setup, and I have been using most of it for nearly 20 years now. No expiry date on speakers, and I can keep upgrading the projector for dirt cheap as I see fit. I am projecting an image that has 114" across the bottom.

Sometimes I play some twin stick shooter couch coop style games with my brother as well. The "theater experience" is pretty much the same as being in the theater, with no annoying people and smells, and it doesn't cost us $40+ per movie to go out as couple. I also threw a queen mattress on the floor with a bunch of pillows so we can lay down and chill out while in the theater. Can't do that while going out!!!

Oh, and I still haven't managed to watch Top Gun yet haha. Life comes first.20220806_215417.jpg

Last edited:

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
View attachment 44919

This is fake right? It *has* to be fake. This is literally what I pay for mortgage, taxes, home insurance, and flood insurance in a FEMA flood zone.

Here I was thinking our $360 for a Rav 4 was a little too high.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
@Kak I found your truck!

jruae34shok91.jpg

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
View attachment 44919

Sweet baby jesus. I am nearly 40 years old (wow, that is scary to type...) and I have never had a car payment in my life. Newest vehicle I have ever purchased was 4 years old, and I have been driving it for 9ish years now.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Wow. They’re all owned by cars both financially and emotionally. That’s just sad.
These are great customers!!! :rofl:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Looks like it.
I think they're just trying to show how easy it is to get a loan, and desensitise viewers to how large those numbers are. Bet they then offer to help people get a loan so they too can swap their freedom for some nice wheels on their driveway.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016

Perhaps they've learned from their mistakes and this show will surpass the original Game of Thrones. They were doing so well for quite a few years and then F*cked it up, yes, but who knows - they might just pull it off this time.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane

I never have the problem of gross people when going to a gold class cinema that only has about 40 seats which are recliners. It's also licensed so you can drink if you like, and you can arrange what time you want your dinner or drinks brought in.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Problem:
Argh. Will Google please stop putting YouTube videos top of the rankings. I don't want to watch a video, I just want to read instructions.

Opportunity:
Want to rank high on Google? Create short videos on YouTube that answer the questions people search for on Google.

2022-08-29_23-14-45.png

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I found how MJ advertised his books in 2010. Take a look: Fastlane

That's so cool, unfortunately in America, you'd have some idiot who would use that as a means to file a lawsuit against the mall within 48 hours. I hurt myself! Wah wah wah... Terribly sad.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
the government does things to keep normal people fighting with each other

remember this if you ever decide to squawk about some current thing

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Problem:
Argh. Will Google please stop putting YouTube videos top of the rankings. I don't want to watch a video, I just want to see instructions.

View attachment 44927

Opportunity:
Want to rank high on Google? Create short videos on YouTube that answer the questions people search for on Google.
Man I hate those videos. Yesterday I needed to know how to move a window on my screen that I could not see due to it being placed nowhere. The answer was "alt space, and hit the arrow keys".

The answer was buried down in some blog on page 3 or so. The whole first page were these wordy blog posts full of software downloads and crap that was 100% wrong. The answer should have taken once sentence or a 10 second video! Instead I had pages and pages of words and like 5 minute clips to sift through. The internet is being filled with trash.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The internet is being filled with trash.
The internet is being filled with trash to rank on Google and YouTube. But long articles and videos fluffed out to get ranked aren't what people want.

Google will have to remedy this or people will stop using their search engine and bye-bye advertiser revenue.

I think this is what's making YouTube shorts and TikTok so refreshing. Creators have to get their point across in under 60s. I just spent 10 minutes watching tips about Linkedin from a guy on TikTok. I feel my time was better spent than watching a 20 minute long video that has the first 5 minutes telling me why I should subscribe.

When Google and YouTube remedy this (and I bet they will) they will reward articles and videos that get to the point. We can already see it happening as YouTube automatically creates chapters in videos.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.