The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Ya boi is selling awesome.yachts (the domain).

Yeah, you didn't know .yachts was a TLD now did you?

Exactly 17 hours ago I didn't either!

It's just a domain. But come on, it's something you didn't know you needed.

y o u
k n o w
y o u
w a n t
i t

Why not build something on it and then sell it? It's an awesome brandable domain. I'm half-tempted to buy it from you lol.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vinz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jun 12, 2021
Why not build something on it and then sell it? It's an awesome brandable domain. I'm half-tempted to buy it from you lol.
He could build awesome yatches with it

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Ya boi is selling awesome.yachts (the domain).

Yeah, you didn't know .yachts was a TLD now did you?

Exactly 17 hours ago I didn't either!

It's just a domain. But come on, it's something you didn't know you needed.

y o u
k n o w
y o u
w a n t
i t
As someone who regularly reads "Boat International", a publication on the yachting world, I find that to absolutely be an awesome domain name. Yachts are fantastic.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
One of our local bike stores cannot accept incoming phone calls. They switched to text, online chat or book a call. What a horrible business decision! Making it harder for customers to connect to you. It’s so backwards, I don’t want to go there.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
One of our local bike stores cannot accept incoming phone calls. They switched to text, online chat or book a call. What a horrible business decision! Making it harder for customers to connect to you. It’s so backwards, I don’t want to go there.
Well that would be annoying. Why not just ADD those other features?

There is something about bike stores and having crappy customer service, they go hand in hand. I would say out of every 3 bike stores I have been in, 2 of them would be total trash. Those are bad odds.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Well that would be annoying. Why not just ADD those other features?

There is something about bike stores and having crappy customer service, they go hand in hand. I would say out of every 3 bike stores I have been in, 2 of them would be total trash. Those are bad odds.
It’s usually a business born out of PASSION, which often yields terrible results. See also: music stores, artists, local performers, most small restaurants.

They’re just not operating with the business or customer in mind.

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
It’s usually a business born out of PASSION, which often yields terrible results. See also: music stores, artists, local performers, most small restaurants.

They’re just not operating with the business or customer in mind.

Agree and a lot of these stop trying to grow once they can pay their bills.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Why is it that whenever I get an email titled with "Quick question" -- it isn't a quick question, and likely requires a dissertation type of response? :playful:

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

Why is it that whenever I get an email titled with "Quick question" -- it isn't a quick question, and likely requires a dissertation type of response? :playful:
Whether accidental or not...That very subject line leads to higher open rates. Can verify with tests.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
A few observations. I could not get to sleep again for whatever reason, this has barely been an issue in my life prior, but now it seems to be regular. Went to bed at 9:30ish, reading didn't get me to sleep. At 11ish I had some of that big wheat cereal thing that has 1 ingredient, warmed it up in the microwave with milk. Boom, sleeping in maybe 10 minutes. Next time this happens I am going to do that again. Little kid style, warm milk and honey.

Daughter decided to jump on me at like 1am, son decided to do the same at 3am. Why don't they do this to my wife? I am sure I will never know. I wake up at 5:30am, just wanted to go to the basement and laydown again but decided I should do that morning Yoga routine, 6 minutes in and I feel like a million bucks. Thank goodness I didn't lay down! 100% of the days that I decide to sleep in I regret it as soon as I wake up.

It is now just barely past 6am and the sun is still not up and it is making me feel bad. There is something awesome about having fun sun at like 5:30am. I wish the government would stop messing about with daylight savings time. Who wants sun up at like 9pm, and yet not early in the morning? Not people who try to get toddlers to get on time, that is for sure.

One final thought, you guys were not messing about with those BIC pens. They are better than any of the others for everyday writing that I used thus far. I like those Uni-ball Air ones for writing nice letters and such, but for journaling and work the BIC ones are just awesome.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
I wish the government would stop messing about with daylight savings time.
This! Seriously!

Oh, and I can relate to kids deciding to go for dad vs mom thing in the middle of the night lol. Such conflicting emotions!

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
I will check those out!!

I ended up writing for nearly 2 hours today, and it felt like absolute murder on my arm! I figured it was due to me barely ever writing with any consistency over the last 20ish years. Writing to work, rather than being on a computer to work, was just amazing. I feel like I accomplished like a weeks worth of work in 3ish hours. 0 distractions, 100% on, 100% focused production. It was really cool. I took like a 5 min break where I wrote my post and grabbed some water, and that is about it during that time.

Today was a good day. I slept through my alarm. Had my son jump on me at 7am and we played and wrestled until 8ish when my daughter joined in. Then we all just messed about giggling and wrestling until like 8:30. Made them all breakfast. Took my wife to an appointment, got home and did lunch with the family. Cracked out an insanely productive work session, wife got called in to work tonight so I spent it with the kids again. No problem with her going in to work as I can help out and handle dinner and stuff.

Can't have a day like this if I was gone at some 9-5, that is for sure!

As someone who enjoys longhand writing, I’m curious what you spent two hours handwriting that was related to your work? Emails that you would then go back and type? Just brainstorming?

Asking because I’m certainly not looking for an excuse to buy more pilots or fancy notebooks.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
As someone who enjoys longhand writing, I’m curious what you spent two hours handwriting that was related to your work? Emails that you would then go back and type? Just brainstorming?

Asking because I’m certainly not looking for an excuse to buy more pilots or fancy notebooks.
Writing a pitch in order to raise funds.

Going through the Pitch Anything book and using that as a framework. Highlighting the book and summarizing it in one notebook, using a second notebook to write ideas and the actual meat and potatoes of what I am doing. This is pretty much done, so now the rest I need to be on a computer for.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Why does a small cheesecake slice at a restaurant cost $15?
Tell me more!

My wife makes a type of cheesecake that blows all the stuff out of the water that I have ever had at restaurants.

She has been talking about making this and selling it to restaurants, where they can then turn around and sell for $10-15 a slice. I keep on her to do it, but so far its just been an idea. To me this is one of those infinitely scalable ideas that could absolutely blow up.

Any tips on how to make her actually get on this and start doing it?????? I am serious by the way. I was thinking of getting out the ol' search engine and finding every single non-franchise restaurant within a 4 hour driving distance of where we live and giving her a list. Ordering her some fancy little cooking dishes that she can make them in so they have more visual appeal as well. Then maybe just start hitting up the restaurants? Find out when the owner or Decision Maker is in, and bring them a sample?

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Tell me more!

My wife makes a type of cheesecake that blows all the stuff out of the water that I have ever had at restaurants.

She has been talking about making this and selling it to restaurants, where they can then turn around and sell for $10-15 a slice. I keep on her to do it, but so far its just been an idea. To me this is one of those infinitely scalable ideas that could absolutely blow up.

Any tips on how to make her actually get on this and start doing it?????? I am serious by the way. I was thinking of getting out the ol' search engine and finding every single non-franchise restaurant within a 4 hour driving distance of where we live and giving her a list. Ordering her some fancy little cooking dishes that she can make them in so they have more visual appeal as well. Then maybe just start hitting up the restaurants? Find out when the owner or Decision Maker is in, and bring them a sample?
This post sounds delicious!

There was a promising thread on this forum with someone doing exactly what you want your Wife to start. I think it’s a gold read and a lot of prominent members of this forum provided GOLD advice but I don’t think the OP really followed through. Trying to remember the name…

EDIT: Found it.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
There was a promising thread on this forum with someone doing exactly what you want your Wife to start. I think it’s a gold read and a lot of prominent members of this forum provided GOLD advice but I don’t think the OP really followed through. Trying to remember the name…

Oh boy, I remember that thread generating a lot of frustration...

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Oh boy, I remember that thread generating a lot of frustration...
Care to elaborate? I plan on reading the whole thing tonight, and maybe I should be aware of a few things before I sink several hours into that?

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Tell me more!

You can't "make her" but you can help her, if she asks for help.

I've had friends who told me how they wanted their wives to do business and it led to frustrations, not results.

What if you turned this around? MJ's last book is a great recipe for a business like that (see what I did there?? ha!, recipe). I am serious, he had a soup example there. Same rules apply here. You can ask your wife to teach you to make the same cheese cake and boom - now it's your business. You are in charge of making it or failing at it. No pressure on her.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Care to elaborate? I plan on reading the whole thing tonight, and maybe I should be aware of a few things before I sink several hours into that?
If I remember correctly, the dude was a "Yea but," guy.

It didn't matter what you said, what advice was given... everything was dismissed with a "yea but..."

Excuses galore.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
If I remember correctly, the dude was a "Yea but," guy.

It didn't matter what you said, what advice was given... everything was dismissed with a "yea but..."

Excuses galore.

@Bekit summarised the 20 page thread HERE

TLDR from MJ here

I read through a good chunk of it. Definitely worth the read.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.