The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Power of your IDENTITY

Anything related to matters of the mind

Rishabh verma

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jan 6, 2023
Two years ago, I watched a bunch of motivational videos and listened to podcasts. I tried adopting good habits for a few days (2-5) but would always fall back into my bad habits. This cycle of failure left me feeling depressed for an entire month. I didn't understand why it was so difficult for me to go to the gym daily or stop binge eating.

Then one day, I stumbled across the book "Psycho-Cybernetics" by Maxwell Maltz, and it changed my life.

The book emphasizes the importance of self-image in personal growth. If you believe that you're overweight or a failure, no matter how hard you try, you'll likely fall back into your old ways. The key is to Change your identity first!

If you want to start a business, First see yourself as an entrepreneur. Once you change your identity, you'll start taking action like a successful entrepreneur. For example, I used to make excuses for not taking a cold shower and would tell myself I'd do it later. But now, I take a cold shower every day at 7:00 AM, even in the winter. How did I do it? I changed my identity and started seeing myself as an athlete. I repeated affirmations such as "I am an athlete" multiple times a day.

If you're curious about the immense power of identity, take a look at the experiment below.

"The experiment was conducted by Alia Crum and Ellen Langer at Harvard University. In the study, participants were given a milkshake and told that it was either a high-calorie indulgent shake or a low-calorie sensible shake, even though in reality all the milkshakes were the same. The participants were then monitored for the level of ghrelin, a hormone that is linked to hunger, before and after consuming the shake.

The results showed that when participants thought they were drinking the high-calorie shake, their ghrelin levels decreased significantly more than when they thought they were drinking the low-calorie shake. This means that even though the actual contents of the milkshakes were the same, the participants' expectations and beliefs about the shakes led to different physiological responses.

The milkshake experiment highlights the powerful role that our beliefs, expectations, and self-image can play in shaping our behavior and physiology"

Imagine you were walking home from work late at night, and you suddenly saw a bear in the middle of the street. You froze in terror, not knowing what to do. Your heartbeat skyrockets and get sweaty because of fear. The bear looked at you curiously and started walking towards you. You prepared yourself for the worst, but as the bear got closer, you noticed something odd.

The bear was actually a Cute Russian girl in a bear costume!

- Just imagine the power of your thoughts if simply not knowing that a bear was actually a harmless girl could cause your body to react with a surge of adrenaline, making you feel sweaty and anxious. Now consider how much more powerful it would be if you were to intentionally think of yourself as an entrepreneur and let that belief shape your actions and decisions.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
Two years ago, I watched a bunch of motivational videos and listened to podcasts. I tried adopting good habits for a few days (2-5) but would always fall back into my bad habits. This cycle of failure left me feeling depressed for an entire month. I didn't understand why it was so difficult for me to go to the gym daily or stop binge eating.

Then one day, I stumbled across the book "Psycho-Cybernetics" by Maxwell Maltz, and it changed my life.

The book emphasizes the importance of self-image in personal growth. If you believe that you're overweight or a failure, no matter how hard you try, you'll likely fall back into your old ways. The key is to Change your identity first!

If you want to start a business, First see yourself as an entrepreneur. Once you change your identity, you'll start taking action like a successful entrepreneur. For example, I used to make excuses for not taking a cold shower and would tell myself I'd do it later. But now, I take a cold shower every day at 7:00 AM, even in the winter. How did I do it? I changed my identity and started seeing myself as an athlete. I repeated affirmations such as "I am an athlete" multiple times a day.

If you're curious about the immense power of identity, take a look at the experiment below.

"The experiment was conducted by Alia Crum and Ellen Langer at Harvard University. In the study, participants were given a milkshake and told that it was either a high-calorie indulgent shake or a low-calorie sensible shake, even though in reality all the milkshakes were the same. The participants were then monitored for the level of ghrelin, a hormone that is linked to hunger, before and after consuming the shake.

The results showed that when participants thought they were drinking the high-calorie shake, their ghrelin levels decreased significantly more than when they thought they were drinking the low-calorie shake. This means that even though the actual contents of the milkshakes were the same, the participants' expectations and beliefs about the shakes led to different physiological responses.

The milkshake experiment highlights the powerful role that our beliefs, expectations, and self-image can play in shaping our behavior and physiology"

Imagine you were walking home from work late at night, and you suddenly saw a bear in the middle of the street. You froze in terror, not knowing what to do. Your heartbeat skyrockets and get sweaty because of fear. The bear looked at you curiously and started walking towards you. You prepared yourself for the worst, but as the bear got closer, you noticed something odd.

- Just imagine the power of your thoughts if simply not knowing that a bear was actually a harmless girl could cause your body to react with a surge of adrenaline, making you feel sweaty and anxious. Now consider how much more powerful it would be if you were to intentionally think of yourself as an entrepreneur and let that belief shape your actions and decisions.
Thanks for the post

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

What consequence or punishment do you impose on yourself for failure to comply to good habits?

No consequence and punishment= No compliance

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ylKBgO2ffpM

Rishabh verma

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jan 6, 2023
What consequence or punishment do you impose on yourself for failure to comply to good habits?

No consequence and punishment= No compliance

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ylKBgO2ffpM
When I fail to complete a task, I tend to increase its difficulty. Last month, during an exam, I studied for one hour but then started procrastinating, which made me feel angry. as a result, I make a promise to myself to study till I complete this whole chapter and I ended up studying for five hours straight.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
552%
Apr 17, 2022
Change your identity first!
The best way to change your identity is through repeated action.

Everything that you do and not do, gets recorded into the system. Over time you will become what you do.

To quote Jordan Peterson: "Don't practice what you do not want to become."

techvx

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jan 29, 2023
Not sure how much one would have to drink to mistake a girl in a costume for an actual bear, but it's a solid reminder nonetheless.

Heard quite a bit about the book of Maxwell - thanks for the pointer, will check it out.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.