The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Organic flavoring with consumables

Kfirdragon

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
May 28, 2019
Alberta
Hey everyone,

I had an idea which I wanted to pursue for a while now, however I always put it aside because I was working on other things, recently I decided that I should just jump in and go for it.
I have some unique products I have in mind which I want to bring to market, however I feel like I'm moving very slowly researching and I'm sure some of you could provide some valuable insights.

I'll try to update this with things I learn a long the way as well as obstacles I will overcome.

But first, I want my product to be organic or as close to it as it possibly gets, I've been researching for quite some time now how to make organic flavoring, I've been told by a few people that I should just hire someone to do it for me, I'm thinking about it, but would really like to learn how to make the flavors myself for a few main reasons:
1. I'm interested in how to make them myself and see it as a valuable skill.
2. I would like to be able to play with the flavors myself and maybe create something unique.
3. A lot of the products I intend to make are almost the same with just flavor variations and I'd really like to be able to do them myself instead of paying someone every time I'd want to try a new flavor.

I know of a lot more obstacles I'll have to go through but I'll share them when I deal with them.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
"Organic" is not necessarily good, or even safe.

For example a natural yellow coloring; Annatto (E160b ) which is also used as a flavoring, can have serious effects on Autistic children, and there are quite a few reports of it causing IBS in some people with allergies.

While Annatto is regarded as safe for people who do not have allergies, in one clinical trial involving people suffering from hives or angioedema, 26% reacted within 4 hours. This is a much higher rate than has been found to occur in tests using artificial colorings.

My point is that when dealing with food products you need to do thorough research for your own protection, as well as for your customers.

Walter

Monkeycom

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Aug 20, 2019
UK
Hey everyone,

I had an idea which I wanted to pursue for a while now, however I always put it aside because I was working on other things, recently I decided that I should just jump in and go for it.
I have some unique products I have in mind which I want to bring to market, however I feel like I'm moving very slowly researching and I'm sure some of you could provide some valuable insights.

I'll try to update this with things I learn a long the way as well as obstacles I will overcome.

But first, I want my product to be organic or as close to it as it possibly gets, I've been researching for quite some time now how to make organic flavoring, I've been told by a few people that I should just hire someone to do it for me, I'm thinking about it, but would really like to learn how to make the flavors myself for a few main reasons:
1. I'm interested in how to make them myself and see it as a valuable skill.
2. I would like to be able to play with the flavors myself and maybe create something unique.
3. A lot of the products I intend to make are almost the same with just flavor variations and I'd really like to be able to do them myself instead of paying someone every time I'd want to try a new flavor.

I know of a lot more obstacles I'll have to go through but I'll share them when I deal with them.

How do you plan to market it ?

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
Questions:
  • Do you have a clear, specific picture of your target market?
  • Is there a strong need your idea/product fills for the market?
  • Have you validated that the market wants your idea/product, and if so, how?

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
First, I'll say that you aren't going to be first to market, not even 10th to market for "organic flavors".

There are some very large, very innovative companies out there with hundreds of scientists working for them. Take for example AIDP Home | AIDP They are an ingredients and flavors powerhouse. I recently met them at a food tech conference, they're on the cutting edge of some very cool stuff in the ingredients space.

How do you plan on differentiating or competing against guys like this?

What about the 100's of extracts companies? One company I use for my products are extracts wizards. They can make flavors for anything. Hell, I got a parmesan cheese extract from them that was better than real parmesan.

Also, to mimic @Walter Hay.. what exactly do you mean by organic? I'm a firm believer that organic is a marketing scam, is not sustainable/bad for the environment, and not backed by any real science whatsoever. Do you plan on using only USDA certified organic raw ingredients to make your flavorings?

I'm not trying to beat you down here, but this would be like someone saying.. I want to make bio fuels, that would be cool. And not realizing they're competing with Shell, BP, Exxon and 100 other fuel powerhouses.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
"Organic" is not necessarily good, or even safe.

Walter, I respected the hell out of your before this for many reasons, but this just elevated you to forum godhood for me.

Kfirdragon

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
May 28, 2019
Alberta
I'm very surprised I haven't received notifications for this post (still kinda new to this forum)

I appreciate everyone's comments and concerns.

First, I'll say that you aren't going to be first to market, not even 10th to market for "organic flavors".

There are some very large, very innovative companies out there with hundreds of scientists working for them. Take for example AIDP Home | AIDP They are an ingredients and flavors powerhouse. I recently met them at a food tech conference, they're on the cutting edge of some very cool stuff in the ingredients space.

How do you plan on differentiating or competing against guys like this?

What about the 100's of extracts companies? One company I use for my products are extracts wizards. They can make flavors for anything. Hell, I got a parmesan cheese extract from them that was better than real parmesan.

Also, to mimic @Walter Hay.. what exactly do you mean by organic? I'm a firm believer that organic is a marketing scam, is not sustainable/bad for the environment, and not backed by any real science whatsoever. Do you plan on using only USDA certified organic raw ingredients to make your flavorings?

I'm not trying to beat you down here, but this would be like someone saying.. I want to make bio fuels, that would be cool. And not realizing they're competing with Shell, BP, Exxon and 100 other fuel powerhouses.

After taking a while and talking to a few people who also develop consumable products I think the whole organic notion is just a trend and have chosen not to go after it, when I first wanted to get into this consumable world I was sold on the organic idea and thought it was healthier, I see how that might not always be the case.

So, instead after talking to some people (some are very educated in the nutrition space), I decided to create a plant based product.

My next step is to get the formulation for it.

Always appreciating your guys comments and feedback.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
So, instead after talking to some people (some are very educated in the nutrition space), I decided to create a plant based product.

Plant based products are huge right now. Almost ever food conference is focused towards it. Just be aware, everyone else is focused on this trend too. After the Impossible and Beyond Meat IPO’s, lots of money is flooding to this sector.

The good thing is though, lots of money is flooding this sector. You’ll need you come up with something pretty unique and innovative to stand out, but the rewards here could be huge.

Also remember that there’s a big difference between “made from plants” and “plant based”. Plant based is where the macro trend in food is going, so go there.

We’ve already got plant based chicken, beef, cheese, eggs, 100 different types of plant mills.. what are you going to focus on?

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Plant based products are huge right now. Almost ever food conference is focused towards it. Just be aware, everyone else is focused on this trend too. After the Impossible and Beyond Meat IPO’s, lots of money is flooding to this sector.

Great point @Scot!

@Kfirdragon, consider jumping on the Carnivore/No Carb bandwagon.

While everyone is pilling on the vegan bandwagon, you could go the complete opposite.

Find ways to flavor meat products without using plants.

Devout carnivores can use salt, but they can't use pepper. Pepper is a plant.

How can you make liver, kidneys, and brains taste better without plant based seasonings?

Answer that question and brand it well and the carnivores will love you.

I didn't research this. So, this problem may have already been solved.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Find ways to flavor meat products without using plants.

“Carnivore” is a fad though. Plant based is more than vegan, it’s a macro trend. Our environment and population growth literally can support much more cow farming. Being able to replace costly and inefficient bovine farming with highly efficient agriculture, that’s the future.

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
“Carnivore” is a fad though. Plant based is more than vegan, it’s a macro trend. Our environment and population growth literally can support much more cow farming. Being able to replace costly and inefficient bovine farming with highly efficient agriculture, that’s the future.

Great point and very true. I have no counter to that.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Great point and very true. I have no counter to that.

Even @Greg R can back me up and he’s not a food guy...

This recent food investor conference we went to, EVERYTHING was plant based focused. People would walk up to my table, learn we weren’t plant based and walk away.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Even @Greg R can back me up and he’s not a food guy...

This recent food investor conference we went to, EVERYTHING was plant based focused. People would walk up to my table, learn we weren’t plant based and walk away.
100% The amount of money that we saw going to plant-based products was insane.

Kfirdragon

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
May 28, 2019
Alberta

The good thing is though, lots of money is flooding this sector. You’ll need you come up with something pretty unique and innovative to stand out, but the rewards here could be huge.

Also remember that there’s a big difference between “made from plants” and “plant based”. Plant based is where the macro trend in food is going, so go there.

We’ve already got plant based chicken, beef, cheese, eggs, 100 different types of plant mills.. what are you going to focus on?

Great comment.

The product I'm working on is more of a drink, I want to start with a protein drink with sugar alternative, I'm aware there might be some others already in the space but I still see a need in the market, I noticed there were no products like it in most convenience stores when I was looking for one. I always end up getting a Quest bar and a random drink/water.

I have more product lines in mind, but this would probably be the first one I choose to go with.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.