The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Official 2014 Beer & Pancakes Topic Thread

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
If you've added me on Skype please introduce yourself.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rerun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Aug 7, 2012
This is going to be good, can't wait.

Here's a bit of my background, if you guys want to help me decide on a topic, that would be great. I have a hard time decipher what is unique information from common sense, so appreciate the suggestions.

Spent about 10 years in sales... first hard core, door-to-door B2B sales that got me chased out of buildings by cops in lawyers for 2 years following 9/11. Then in "consultative," soft, relationship-based sales and sales management. Since then been involved with affiliate marketing the past 5 years or so. Lot of my time spent on Facebook Ads in mass market categories such as insurance, dating, diet, dental cosmetics, toolbars, social networks, coupons niche, surveys. Also done email list building (not mass mailing), lead generation, developed info products, membership sites.

Currently working on a supplements business (seems a lot of us have that in common).

Really love studying direct response guys, their strategies, copy, mail pieces, etc. and have notebooks full of juicy stuff that gets people to buy, remain customers, reduce refunds, increase revenue/customer, etc. I have a background in psychology and marketing, so if you get talking about marketing psychology and persuasion, my heart starts racing. Something about understanding what drives people to behave/make decisions, and intentionally orchestrate those things to occur so they give you their money really interests me (this of course is all in a good nature and in exchange for value). :)

Some topic ideas off the top of my head...

- Facebook Ads: My experience is in obtaining the highest quality prospect for the cheapest amount of money while advertising to the masses, mostly in the form of generating a sales lead. I don't have much experience with niche or brand advertising. Can discuss stuff like what makes a good ad, how to get cheaper clicks, how to get ads on the naughty list approved, what to do with those clicks

- Marketing Psychology: How to create a hysteria of people that have an incredible desire to buy your products and tell all of their friends.

- How I survived the cut-throat world of affiliate marketing, and what it taught me about entrepreneurship and starting a big-boy business

- Landing page/website conversion tricks (someone else might be doing this)

Other suggestions welcome ;)

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
642%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
I was wondering if someone could record the presentations or talks and put the videos up on the inside for people who can't make it? If not I'll just have to reserve a spot for the 2015 one. :smxB:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I was wondering if someone could record the presentations or talks and put the videos up on the inside for people who can't make it? If not I'll just have to reserve a spot for the 2015 one.

The presenter decides whether or not the presentation can be recorded so not all prezi's are recorded. Those that are are only available to the attendee's.

D

DeletedUser2

- Facebook Ads: My experience is in obtaining the highest quality prospect for the cheapest amount of money while advertising to the masses, mostly in the form of generating a sales lead. I don't have much experience with niche or brand advertising. Can discuss stuff like what makes a good ad, how to get cheaper clicks, how to get ads on the naughty list approved, what to do with those clicks

- Marketing Psychology: How to create a hysteria of people that have an incredible desire to buy your products and tell all of their friends.

Either one

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
- Landing page/website conversion tricks (someone else might be doing this)

Does this include articles which pre-sell products? I'd be all in for that. Love the ole copywriters, too. :)

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY

Arrabista

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Jul 22, 2012
United Arab Emirates
JasonR and everyone who is part of Beer and Pancakes 2014...

Thank you all for your commitment and passion in putting this together and the fantastic spirit in which this event is gonna be held...

Awesome! I am out here in the Middle East.. Jason R pls check your email :)

I would be more than happy to fly over to scottsdale from Abu Dhabi and be a part of this fantastic event .

To All newbies ..if you havent read ,go through beer and pancakes threads from previous years :GOLD..just the responses from those who attended can attest to the learning and networking possibilities.

Unfortunately i missed out on the tickets when they were released. "it ain't over till the fat lady sings"

I will try my utmost to see if i can bend fortune to be at this event in the US.

Anyone reading this who has a ticket and now realizes that they wont be able to go please PM .I will happily fly from Abu Dhabi and add value to the event...

Thanks

Arrabista

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
Hey guys, thanks a lot for the interest in the event.

I would just like to advise you to post reservations for the event on the official b&p 2014 thread here: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/showthread.php/48457-B-amp-P-2014-Official-Thread?highlight=2014

We will notify anyone if spots open in the above thread.

To keep things on point, this thread will be used to only discuss presentations topics. Anything else you guys have on your mind, post in the above thread and me, Andrew or Jason will answer any of your questions.

Cheers :)

P.s. As Allen mentioned, we will not be posting any recording of the event. Also, this event is not sponsored by this forum Or MJ DeMarco in any way shape or forum. This is solely a get together initiated from the members who hang around the forum. A lot of people discuss very deep parts of their business with a high level of trust that it won't be shared publicly.

Add me to waiting/reserve list, por favor.

I'm also interested in the waiting list. Thanks.

JasonR and everyone who is part of Beer and Pancakes 2014...

Thank you all for your commitment and passion in putting this together and the fantastic spirit in which this event is gonna be held...

Awesome! I am out here in the Middle East.. Jason R pls check your email :)

I would be more than happy to fly over to scottsdale from Abu Dhabi and be a part of this fantastic event .

To All newbies ..if you havent read ,go through beer and pancakes threads from previous years :GOLD..just the responses from those who attended can attest to the learning and networking possibilities.

Unfortunately i missed out on the tickets when they were released. "it ain't over till the fat lady sings"

I will try my utmost to see if i can bend fortune to be at this event in the US.

Anyone reading this who has a ticket and now realizes that they wont be able to go please PM .I will happily fly from Abu Dhabi and add value to the event...

Thanks

Arrabista

Last edited by a moderator:

Atown512

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 15, 2011
Houston
If you've added me on Skype please introduce yourself.
I'm Brent D. on the list. Still not sure of my specific topic. I will create a list and let you guys tell me what you'd like to hear about.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
I am not sure what topic I want to talk about, here are a couple random ideas.

-The truth behind the professional fishing industry, how marketing rules.
-What you can learn about data analysis and decision making from a DEEP subprime auto finance company

-How I've been all talk for the last year and what I am doing about it (hopefully by B&P this will be irrelevant) Topic nixed
-XX ways companies have used creative product placement to achieve success (I have no experience actually doing this, this would be more a research based presentation) Topic nixed due to lack of personal experience

That is all I have so far...I will come up with more soon. Anything sound interesting?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

-What you can learn about data analysis and decision making from a DEEP subprime auto finance company
-How I've been all talk for the last year and what I am doing about it (hopefully by B&P this will be irrelevant)
-XX ways companies have used creative product placement to achieve success (I have no experience actually doing this, this would be more a research based presentation)

That is all I have so far...I will come up with more soon. Anything sound interesting?

A few things I noticed from last year...

1. scratch your last one. speeches from personal experience have credibility. Research presentations or etherial presentations are boring.

2. the fishing one would be interesting. Topics that bring the audience into arenas they are not familiar with are engaging.

3. The subprime auto discussion would be fascinating

4. I wouldn't give a speech about how you sucked, and how you are going to NOT suck in the future. Leave the past in the past. Give the audience something THEY can use. Most of the people in the audience are high achievers that are there to learn shit from you. Give them raw meat. Give them something they will never forget. Give them something to think about. Nobody really gives a shit that you were in the slow lane. These are Fastlaners.

Just my .02 cents as an observer of what worked last year.

Atown512

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 15, 2011
Houston
-XX ways companies have used creative product placement to achieve success (I have no experience actually doing this, this would be more a research based presentation)
This one sounds interesting to me.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I like behind the curtain stuff. 1 or 2.

3 depressing
4 ??? I can't make myself type my thoughts.

-How I've been all talk for the last year and what I am doing about it (hopefully by B&P this will be irrelevant)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I like behind the curtain stuff. 1 or 2.

3 depressing
4 ??? I can't make myself type my thoughts.

Once again, we concur. Completely. If I could grow facial hair and not look like a chemo patient doing so, I would think we were long lost brothers.

Atown512

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 15, 2011
Houston
A few things I noticed from last year...

1. scratch your last one. speeches from personal experience have credibility. Research presentations or etherial presentations are boring.
Didn't even think about that really, but I think you're right...I have a feeling research presentations would be similar to the boring presentations we had to sit through in college. It sounded useful to my business though. Craft beer is exploding, and I'm trying to figure out a way to stand out in the crowd.

LibertyForMe

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
I had a dream about you last night jon, at least I think it was you seeing as how we've never met. I was sitting in a yellow lexus convertible that belonged to you, and it was awesome. You pressed a button that raised and lowered the automatic top. That is all. lol

On topic, I nixed three and four; I think I agree with you guys.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
That's weird.

Cause I don't care for Lexus'

I had a dream about you last night jon, at least I think it was you seeing as how we've never met. I was sitting in a yellow lexus convertible that belonged to you, and it was awesome. You pressed a button that raised and lowered the automatic top. That is all. lol

On topic, I nixed three and four; I think I agree with you guys.

LibertyForMe

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH

A little more background about me that might help you give me better feedback.

In college a friend and I started a fishing club that allowed us to travel around the country fishing in the FLW's collegiate level tournament trail. To defray costs of travel we picked up local businesses as sponsors, convinced the university we were getting them good PR, featured our sponsors on our club tee-shirts which we sold, etc. We fished in 4 or 5 tournaments against hundreds of other schools. This gave me a close look at how things actually operate. We also held seminars with three VERY successful professional bass fishermen, one of whom is in the top 5 in the world.

The last two years I've worked in an auto finance company that focuses on deep subprime (sub 500 FICOs are common). I started in sales and marketing as an analyst, then I moved to the Risk department. I worked as an analyst in Risk for over a year. I made monthly presentations for the investors and C-level execs. I also did loads of research projects that fed important company decisions. With such high APRs and risk of default, the use of data and analysis is extremely important to structure the loan and finance the right customer.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
2 might be good since soo many of us hate the car buying bull shit.

In college a friend and I started a fishing club that allowed us to travel around the country fishing in the FLW's collegiate level tournament trail. To defray costs of travel we picked up local businesses as sponsors, convinced the university we were getting them good PR, featured our sponsors on our club tee-shirts which we sold, etc. We fished in 4 or 5 tournaments against hundreds of other schools. This gave me a close look at how things actually operate. We also held seminars with three VERY successful professional bass fishermen, one of whom is in the top 5 in the world.

The last two years I've worked in an auto finance company that focuses on deep subprime (sub 500 FICOs are common). I started in sales and marketing as an analyst, then I moved to the Risk department. I worked as an analyst in Risk for over a year. I made monthly presentations for the investors and C-level execs. I also did loads of research projects that fed important company decisions. With such high APRs and risk of default, the use of data and analysis is extremely important to structure the loan and finance the right customer.

Atown512

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 15, 2011
Houston
I will be doing something from my experience starting a brewery. I could cover any of the following:
  • Turning a hobby into a business
  • Finding investors (IME this wasn't very hard, so I'm not sure I could offer a ton of value here)
  • Setting up a production facility from the ground up.
  • Problems we've encountered and problems in the brewing industry
  • Running a business inside of a business - self distribution (We don't have any beer to distribute yet, but we will be knee deep in it by February.)
  • Building a brand in the craft beer market.

I could go on and on, so if there is something missing from the list that you guys would be interested in, let me know. Instead of going specific, I could also do a general overview of the craft beer industry including what we've been through and what we've learned along the way.

Atown512

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 15, 2011
Houston

Either of these sound good to me. From your writing I get the feeling that you like the fishing idea better. If that's the case, I would go with that one.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.