The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Non fiction book publication

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Roberto Zenga

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Dec 30, 2019
Dears,

as included in the topic of the thread.

Has anyone of you ever tried to self-publishing (though Amazon for example) a non-fiction book?

Any experiences about that?

Best,

Roberto

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Roberto Zenga

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Dec 30, 2019
Yup. That's a very generic question, but my best recommendation is to build an audience FIRST, and then publish the book. The "if I build it, they will come" strategy doesn't work well for non-fiction books these days.

Happy to answer more specific questions if you have them.

Thanks for the advice!
I work currently as a pharmaceutical marketeer and I teach also pharmaceutical marketing here in Italy.
So I was wondering what could I expect from publishing a book about pharmaceutical marketing (since there's no so much out there about this topic) in terms of success or complications and sales.

I'm thinking to self-publish my book through Amazon in order to save time and money.
Yup. That's a very generic question, but my best recommendation is to build an audience FIRST, and then publish the book. The "if I build it, they will come" strategy doesn't work well for non-fiction books these days.

Thanks for the advice!
I work currently as a pharmaceutical marketeer and I teach also pharmaceutical marketing here in Italy.
So I was wondering what could I expect from publishing a book about pharmaceutical marketing (since there's no so much out there about this topic) in terms of success or complications and sales.

I'm thinking to self-publish my book through Amazon in order to save time and money.

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
Dears,

as included in the topic of the thread.

Has anyone of you ever tried to self-publishing (though Amazon for example) a non-fiction book?

Any experiences about that?

Best,

Roberto
Yes. I haven't tried the traditional publishing route, thus I can't really compare it to anything else.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

To be honest, pretty much nothing.

Your area of expertise is extremely niche. In my opinion it's not even worth your time and effort to write a book about it. You'll be able to sell it for at most $9.99 (since above this price point, Amazon takes 65%). If you want to sell your knowledge, better invest your resources in creating high-ticket training for professionals willing to pay thousands.

Self-publishing is a quantity play. Popular topics, or in general, niches that an average person might be interested in, work well. Anything specific, let alone super specific and B2B, is not going to work on Amazon.

steelandchrome

Author of The Retail Leader Book.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
Yes I have and it wasn't really worth the time and effort put in so far. I didn't follow advice given and create an audience first so replied on costly FB ads to drive traffic (which didn't work) and free giveaways advertised on reddit (which actually was awesome to temporarily rank as a #1 seller in my category). I sold about 15 copies and have people check it out for free with the kdp program but you earn pennies for that. I have contemplated a relaunch after building an audience but that's not top of my to do list. Without a dedicated group of people asking for the topic to be covered you will have a hill to climb.

Roberto Zenga

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Dec 30, 2019
Yes I have and it wasn't really worth the time and effort put in so far. I didn't follow advice given and create an audience first so replied on costly FB ads to drive traffic (which didn't work) and free giveaways advertised on reddit (which actually was awesome to temporarily rank as a #1 seller in my category). I sold about 15 copies and have people check it out for free with the kdp program but you earn pennies for that. I have contemplated a relaunch after building an audience but that's not top of my to do list. Without a dedicated group of people asking for the topic to be covered you will have a hill to climb.
Uhm... that is clear...

What about looking ahead and writing down a book in order to be considered "an expert" in your field (with all the related implications)?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Would publishing a book help you grow your teaching business?

Ubu_roi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
338%
Jul 24, 2018
Europe
I'd say that it's definitely worth trying.

I've written a niche technical book in Italian, and self published on Amazon. I have spent 0 on marketing and no efforts at all on building a public, except a few posts on LinkedIn and a few chats with friends and customers.

The result is about 500 copies sold on Amazon alone since publication (January 2016), and the book is still selling today (roughly 3000 € total before taxes).

You probably won't get much money from that, but it's still worth it: I got several contacts, nice reviews of the book, and got invited to a couple of conferences. Incredibly, the book even went up to position 1 on Amazon chart in its category a couple of times.

What I found is that:

- very few copies of niche books are actually sold (at least in Italy). I was told by an expert that if you sell more than 300 copies it's considered a success;
- people will find you even without any marketing, if you address a need;
- a book can get you contacts;
- if you do it for the money, your time is definitely better spent elsewhere.

So I'll be publishing a second book, but this time with an editor, and in English, hoping to reach a broader audience (publication date is at the end of March, so I'll know more by then).

Good luck

Attached you'll a screenshot of the historical data of the book on kdp (Kindle Direct Publishing).

Attachments

• books.png
    books.png
    118.5 KB · Views: 8

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content