The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Nominations/Vote: Book Discussion (New Poll Posted!)

For any book discussion

Which book to discuss?

• Never Split The Difference, Chris Voss

Votes: 31 20.0%
  • Atomic Habits, Clear

Votes: 61 39.4%
  • Ultimate Sales Machine, Holmes

Votes: 30 19.4%
  • The Slight Edge, Jeff Olson

Votes: 18 11.6%
  • The Go-Giver: A Little Story About a Powerful Business Idea, Burg and Mann

Votes: 15 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Right now I'm torn between dedicating another couple years to rock climbing, or to jump into BJJ instead. I have this hunch that martial arts would really help to toughen me up mentally.

Similar problem for me, but it's between rock climbing and surfing. Can't really surf consistently where I live so another issue to consider is traveling often or moving to a place where I could do that.

Anyway, you can do both. Probably not with the same intensity, but you don't need to abandon rock climbing entirely. One session a week should help you maintain your skills and BJJ might even help you improve in rock climbing (and vice versa).

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Well I wish he had gotten a different ghost writer. I've just listened to over an hour of this book while hiking through the forest. I get it, he had a tough childhood, I don't need an hour and 4 chapters of it though.

-
I listened to the sample on Audible and bailed after a minute.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

momomaurice

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Apr 24, 2017
Ireland
I finished it last night. He lays it all out there. His past , his failures, the truth and why we are all soft as shit these days and how to overcome it. I enjoyed it. I loved his honesty and not caring what others think about him, he laid everything on the floor about himself and not many people do that.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
Please help.

Are we supposed to read the whole book before the book discussion? (I take it we're just gonna discuss the whole thing at once rather than in parts?)

What date does the book discussion start?

Are we all gonna say a bunch of really awesome things constantly about the dude because 1.) he’s actually a Terminator 2.) if we say anything negative he might come for us 3.) he could very well be on this forum 4.) actually he’s prolly not cuz he only has time to destroy Xerxes’ army.

I’m just wondering if we’re gonna delve or not.. cuz this book is definitely a hot tangled knot of stuff to discuss.

In MJ’s OP he mentions discussing it chapter by chapter and starting the discussion in January.

Let me ask you this though, since this would not have happened without your great suggestion, how would you structure the discussion?

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
In MJ’s OP he mentions discussing it chapter by chapter and starting the discussion in January.

Let me ask you this though, since this would not have happened without your great suggestion, how would you structure the discussion?

Ok I feel stupid for skimming that pertinent info. Thank you. I’ve had the flu and feel like I’ve lost brain cells.

Chapter by chapter is perfect. I’d structure it however the people who owned the house I was visiting wanted it structured. I’m glad he liked the idea at all.

I’m excited about this book discussion. It’s fun to read it altogether, at the same pace. That way when we come to mistaken conclusions about the book nobody acts like a pompous jerk and says “Well you clearly don’t understand the author’s intent because by the end of the book you’ll discover _______” If we’re all going in blind then there can be no end to the speculating because nobody’s spoiling the ending. Of course, this is a bio so we know he lived... but still. I’m hoping there will be enough differing opinions to make it interesting.

I’m really curious how this is gonna go with you guys.

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
I love the book club idea, I will be getting the book ASAP!

Any way we can get Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of Nike in there?

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

Suzanne Bazemore

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Sep 30, 2018
Spring, TX
Can't Hurt Me, for anyone not sure they want to participate, will be great for those of us who let suppressed insecurities keep us from achieving our dreams and goals. It is interesting from the very beginning.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Can't Hurt Me, for anyone not sure they want to participate, will be great for those of us who let suppressed insecurities keep us from achieving our dreams and goals. It is interesting from the very beginning.

I like that apart from being an autobiography, you also have the challenges at the end of the chapter. It would be very interesting to play around those when talking about the book, perhaps one challenge per week?

JunkBoxJoey_JBJ

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jul 9, 2018

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Goggins must have been basically sold out on AMZ because it took extra time to ship, and I had to pay extra for soft cover.

Not sure why I prefer soft cover but I do, and can’t figure out for the life of me why it costs more.

$22 and 8 days of waiting and finally here yesterday. Let’s get this thread started kids.

njord

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Nov 24, 2016
I dont know if its aready mentioned:

The one thing
by Gary Keller
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1885167776/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

41v%2BUc%2BmXxL._SX316_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

LaraJF

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Apr 1, 2017
Silicon Valley, California
Currently I'm listening to 12 Rules for Life by Dr. Jordan B Peterson and it's been eye opening. Currently I'm on the rule about Tell the Truth, or At Least Don't Lie and it goes into a lot of detail about the lies we tell ourselves. I also really enjoyed Mel Robbin's books. Many other wonderful ones have been mentioned so I don't want to be repetitive.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
FYI, I've merged the other thread and this one. Right now this is where we will draw BOOK 3's discussion. Book 2 is voting now (in this thread) -- that ends next Monday.

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
I've read the Go Giver before.

Here it is in six lines.

To be successful you need to be a 'go giver' and not a 'go getter.' Follow these laws and you'll find success:
  1. The Law of Value: Your true worth is determined by how much more you give in value than you take in payment.
  2. The Law of Compensation: Your income is determined by how many people you serve and how well you serve them.
  3. The Law of Influence: Your influence is determined by how abundantly you place other people's interests first.
  4. The Law of Authenticity: The most valuable gift you have to offer is yourself.
  5. The Law of Receptivity: The key to effective giving is to stay open to receiving.
It's a good book. You can read it in under two hours. Very popular by Amway multi level marketers.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

struka

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Feb 22, 2018
TN
OK I picked 4 and made a poll.

Please vote.

The other books NOT in the poll (as well as the ones that don't win) will be considered for the next month.

Would love to discuss them all.

When to do you plan to close the poll?
Maybe a week before Jan. 1st so people can purchase their books (if they want a hard copy)?

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Bump, looks like Atomic Habits (Clear) is winning. Maybe I can get him on here for an AMA.
Even if the book doesn't win, that would be a hell of an AMA

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Now, I've just taken to not being surprised. Expecting that things are going to come at me.

You face a situation, you make a plan. What's the next step?
Ha. Reminds me of my IT days. We’d write a detailed implementation plan, test it multiple times on development systems, then integration systems, then QA systems. The plan would get refined each time.

I’d still be shocked if it worked perfectly when applied to production (live).

Something *always* goes wrong, and we factor that into the expected time to implement. We’d also not be allowed to apply the change without a backup and a fallback plan, no matter how much we’d tested the implementation plan.

(Which is why running a fallback plan or restore from backup was so scary. You can’t test the damn thing on production. “You’re only as good as your last restore” as they say.)

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
BTW taking about process... it took David Goggins 6! years to publish his book. He could have published a book years ago and it would likely have done pretty well but he made sure to make his product as valueable as possible and went to the process... no short cuts...

Well I wish he had gotten a different ghost writer. I've just listened to over an hour of this book while hiking through the forest. I get it, he had a tough childhood, I don't need an hour and 4 chapters of it though.

-

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
I think I'm going to get in on this. I've heard of Goggins before, but just thought he was some guy who liked to run and make motivational videos. I never knew his story until @luniac posted the Joe Rogan video and watched a couple things about him.

I just ordered the paperback from Amazon. Hardcover is out of stock. I guess free 2-day shipping actually means 3 days now. I should have the book on Wednesday.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
The two sports go together really well.

Awesome, you've sold me.

A few years of rock climbing have made me a lot more graceful and aware of my body. I can see how this would help, as I'm super lean and don't have a ton of strength.

Tony Tong

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Dec 9, 2018
Singapore

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.