The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Nominations/Vote: Book Discussion (New Poll Posted!)

For any book discussion

Which book to discuss?

• Never Split The Difference, Chris Voss

Votes: 31 20.0%
  • Atomic Habits, Clear

Votes: 61 39.4%
  • Ultimate Sales Machine, Holmes

Votes: 30 19.4%
  • The Slight Edge, Jeff Olson

Votes: 18 11.6%
  • The Go-Giver: A Little Story About a Powerful Business Idea, Burg and Mann

Votes: 15 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
(after reading his story, you'll feel stupid complaining about little stuff like some minor business problems).
Yup, it's always valueable to get some perspective from time to time because 99% of our worries aren't really worth wasting your time about.

BTW taking about process... it took David Goggins 6! years to publish his book. He could have published a book years ago and it would likely have done pretty well but he made sure to make his product as valueable as possible and went to the process... no short cuts...

btw: I have read Atomic Habits and think it's a great read no matter if it gets the most votes. Already have way through Can't Hurt Me and it's fantastic to.

Actually I think Atomic Habits and Can't Hurt Me are great books to read and apply together. One is about consitent small, lasting changes and the other one is about developing maximum willpower and mental thoughness. It's a great combination!
Install valueable small habits that stick and at the same time develop maximum willpower.

Last edited:

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Right now I'm torn between dedicating another couple years to rock climbing, or to jump into BJJ instead. I have this hunch that martial arts would really help to toughen me up mentally.

BJJ is worth every penny. Only martial art where you can use every single ounce of power you have against somebody else (not holding back cuz you’re afraid to hurt them) and still be destroyed by their superior strategy. So humbling. It’s not perfect by any means, most guys don’t stretch enough or they don’t cross train correctly.. but if you’re already beast mode in rock climbing I highly recommend it. The two sports go together really well.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Please help.

Are we supposed to read the whole book before the book discussion? (I take it we're just gonna discuss the whole thing at once rather than in parts?)

What date does the book discussion start?

Are we all gonna say a bunch of really awesome things constantly about the dude because 1.) he’s actually a Terminator 2.) if we say anything negative he might come for us 3.) he could very well be on this forum 4.) actually he’s prolly not cuz he only has time to destroy Xerxes’ army.

I’m just wondering if we’re gonna delve or not.. cuz this book is definitely a hot tangled knot of stuff to discuss.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

dgr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Feb 20, 2016
Spain
Sorry if this seems too off-topic, but I've found quite funny and interesting the Customers who viewed this item also viewed section from the Goggins book. I guess it ignites a great spark of fitness motivation :D

goggins.PNG

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
The next book discussion, should be either of these two:

Final-Front-2018-smaller-500x500.jpg

unscripted-smaller-500x500.jpg

Would be interesting to get a different perspective.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Goggins must have been basically sold out on AMZ because it took extra time to ship, and I had to pay extra for soft cover.

Not sure why I prefer soft cover but I do, and can’t figure out for the life of me why it costs more.

$22 and 8 days of waiting and finally here yesterday. Let’s get this thread started kids.

Purchased kindle version. 1 minute download. Read: 1 day. Got audible version as well. I like the audible version better.

The narrator kills it. Then David comes on. Like a podcast all most.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas has always been a favorite of mine. Classic revenge tale of a man wrongly accused, imprisoned and tortured, escapes and acquires a fortune to exact revenge on those who wronged him.

It's an extremely long book reaching over 1000 pages.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
David made me realize how weak our society today is and how important it is for us, entrepreneurs, to get stronger and keep toughening up. People get offended for no reason, worry about insignificant sh*t, lose their composure when something irritates them a little, or give up just because they faced a tiny obstacle.

If you get good at suffering and pushing through despite immense pain, insurmountable obstacles, and unfairness, then everyday problems won't bother you at all. On the other end of the spectrum, if you stay in your comfort zone, protected from everything that might be unpleasant, then even the tiniest problem will feel like the end of the world.

One of the things I realized thanks to the book is that I'm not pushing myself even 10% as much as I should when it comes to physical fitness, which is one of the best ways to toughen up not only physically, but also mentally. I consider myself fairly fit, but what David does is on another, incomprehensible level. I'm going to change my routine and raise my standards. Time to take some souls.
Concerning mental thoughness I found the following article to be helpful. Some of the tips are from David Goggins himself:
18 Mental Toughness Tips For When Sh*t Hits the Fan

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
I am currently reading BAD BLOOD - the story about the implosion of Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos. Good read.
If we're going currently reading - I'm reading The Laws of Human Nature, by Robert Greene. Worth the price just for the chapter on Martin Luther King Jr, and his transformation from sheltered preacher's kid to getting beat up in jails and encouraging civil disobedience.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I’m excited about this book discussion. It’s fun to read it altogether, at the same pace. That way when we come to mistaken conclusions about the book nobody acts like a pompous jerk and says “Well you clearly don’t understand the author’s intent because by the end of the book you’ll discover _______” If we’re all going in blind then there can be no end to the speculating because nobody’s spoiling the ending. Of course, this is a bio so we know he lived... but still. I’m hoping there will be enough differing opinions to make it interesting.

Can you send me a link to a sample book discussion at your H forum? I'd like to see how they structure it. In the past, we just posted a thread and discussed. Use "Contact Us" link at the forum footer. TY!!

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Got through the first 100 pages of Goggins last night and I actually grew up not far from the small Indiana town he played high school ball in. I can actually remember going to basketball games at those small town gyms where the home team had 1 solo black player, probably the only minority in the entire school, and hearing all the blatantly racist shit people would say in the stands.

Hardcore flashbacks.

Gotta be one of the most impressive human being ever, and very engagingly written.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump, new POLL POSTED for next book.

Vote or nominate a book!

We will continue to add/subtract books with new polls.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
POLL CLOSES IN 4 DAYS to determine the NEXT BOOK to discuss!

Looks like Clear's Atomic Habits has a nice lead if you all want to get a head-start grabbing the book!

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
How to Get Rich by Felix Dennis

51HuhvjfhIL._SX317_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm planning to re-read it soon so it would be cool to discuss it on the forum. It's one of my personal top 3 business books. It's actually very similar to the Millionaire Fastlane in some aspects.

NuclearPuma

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
May 3, 2015

Zero to One is a great book. I think an analysis of how to apply its principles in a more boot strap manner would be good outcome of a forum reading.

This book I found to be very enjoyable to read, really interesting and stimulating, but difficult to act on due to the Silicon Valley start up culture influence. It gives attention to examples like Facebook and Google. It does have some good business environment insights some of the same stuff MJ touches on.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
FYI @MJ DeMarco, not sure if intentional, but the book poll is showing up at the top of every thread on the forum (and twice on this thread).

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Come on people, vote for Goggins! It's real and raw stuff.

Just pulled into the lead.

Poll closes on Friday!

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Just WOW! What a f*cking book. Just finished listening to it. Profound.
I nominated Atomic Habits but honestly I’d be happy with either one of them.

Goggins is a effing tank.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Just WOW! What a f*cking book. Just finished listening to it. Profound.
Started yesterday and so far it has been very good. Already gave a bit more of myself in today´s workout haha

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.