The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

No one will mentor me! Wait, no, that's too hard!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
On @Vick's legendary GOLD thread on the INSIDE, he was quoted as saying this:

Anyway, been taking some masterclasses online at masterclass.Com as well as a ton of other research.

(He's taking a class on screenwriting, which interests me)

I never heard of Masterclass.com so I took a peek.

Let me just say, DAMN.

Can you say freaking VALUE?

I was so impressed by it that I created this thread, tweeted and shared it, put a sponsored link on the forum, and then I signed up for a full year.

The idea of getting to hear specific insights from writing greats such as Judy Blume, James Patterson, Malcolm Gladwell, not to mention Aaron Sorkin (screenwriting) and Ron Howard on film-making-- and a whole bunch of other stuff from folks who are LEGENDS in their field, all for less than $200 bucks?

My jaw is on the floor.

MasterClass Online Classes

9e9.gif

Folks we live in an incredible time to learn, to explore our creativity, and to turn our shittiness, into greatness.

All it takes is a lot of effort.

The resources are out there.

Knawwwwwledge.

It's like a treasure map in your hands, just ready and ripe to be followed, but you gotta be willing to endure the journey.

Between this website, Udemy, Kahn, Lynda, Stanford Online, other colleges online, books, white papers, and a whole bunch of other resources (mostly cheap or FREE) there is no excuse.

Again, no FREAKING excuse!

If you're still whining and complaining that "NO ONE WILL MENTOR ME!" what you're really saying is "NO ONE WILL HOLD MY HAND AND GIVE ME A CHECK FOR 1 MILLION DOLLARS!"

Get to it!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

Let me just say, DAMN.

I was so impressed by it that I created this thread, tweeted and shared it, put a sponsored link on the forum, and then I signed up for a full year.

The idea of getting to hear specific insights from writing greats such as Judy Blume, James Patterson, Malcolm Gladwell, not to mention Aaron Sorkin (screenwriting) and Ron Howard on film-making-- and a whole bunch of other stuff from folks who are LEGENDS in their field, all for less than $200 bucks?

My jaw is on the floor.

9e9.gif

Folks we live in an incredible time to learn, to explore our creativity, and to turn our shittiness, into greatness.

Knawwwwwledge.

It's like a treasure map in your hands, just ready and ripe to be followed, but you gotta be willing to endure the journey.

Between this website, Udemy, Kahn, Lynda, Stanford Online, other colleges online, books, white papers, and a whole bunch of other resources (mostly cheap or FREE) there is no excuse.

If you're still whining and complaining that "NO ONE WILL MENTOR ME!" what you're really saying is "NO ONE WILL HOLD MY HAND AND GIVE ME A CHECK FOR 1 MILLION DOLLARS!"

Get to it!
The Chef Ramsay and other cookery ones are pretty insane as well.

From looking at their trailers, I can already tell that it's a no-holds barrelled effort.

I am wondering how the Masterclass team roped in experts to have classes. Not as easy as getting in freelancers or Udemy teachers, given that it is MASTERCLASS.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I came in thinking it was a guy complaining about not getting mentored, and I was going to say "mentoring is a huge time suck for little reward, at best people just want to dip their toe in it and move on"
It is ironic then that most people buying masterclass etc will just dip THEIR toe in for a while

We are all so distractable

NickNack

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Mar 11, 2018
Australia

My jaw is on the floor.

Absolutely. There's a great Hans Zimmer one for film music too.

The cynic in me says it's a great example of survival bias - you could do all the same things 100 times and likely not achieve the same results.

But the cynic in me routinely misses the broader point, which is why I try not to listen to him ;)

I have the Ron Howard and Aaron Sorkin ones queued up for when I have time. Not because I believe I'll ever write or direct a feature film, but because I love the art form and I love to learn.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto

Let me just say, DAMN.

My jaw is on the floor.

9e9.gif

Knawwwwwledge.

Get to it!

Masterclass.com is #epic I know tags don't work here, but it's an amazing website. And like Marcus said, it's peanuts in terms of price. Learning from masters is amazing. I just hope one day they make a Master class with Guillermo Del Toro :)

PS - to be honest, i thought everyone here on the forum would've heard of Masterlass.com.
guess not, lol

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Absolutely. There's a great Hans Zimmer one for film music too.

The cynic in me says it's a great example of survival bias - you could do all the same things 100 times and likely not achieve the same results.

But the cynic in me routinely misses the broader point, which is why I try not to listen to him ;)

I have the Ron Howard and Aaron Sorkin ones queued up for when I have time. Not because I believe I'll ever write or direct a feature film, but because I love the art form and I love to learn.
Haha very true

Most advice can be a russian roulette of opportunities that aren't even followable
But if you are too critical you can miss the big picture, and even the feel of what they are saying

I personally like it cuz it allows me to act pompous and sophisticated with them, which has a helpful affect on your morale :p

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
As soon as I saw @Vick post it I purchased it since my SO is working to become a screenwriter/author and I'd like to improve my cooking skills.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

True, but there's a lot that goes beyond the nuance.

Take for instance, James Patterson -- the prolific writer of suspense and mystery -- I'd love to hear about his process, for ideas, for research, for dealing with publishers -- sure there's some survivor bias stuff that won't be relevant ("I write at 2AM after a cold shower!") but there will also be some "ah ha" gems of true learning.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

Let me just say, DAMN.

My jaw is on the floor.

9e9.gif

Knawwwwwledge.

Get to it!
It's a great time to be alive. All this knowledge is available -- free or almost free -- waiting for someone to come, grab onto it and learn it. It's like being a candy store for people who love to educate themselves.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
True, but there's a lot that goes beyond the nuance.

Take for instance, James Patterson -- the prolific writer of suspense and mystery -- I'd love to hear about his process, for ideas, for research, for dealing with publishers -- sure there's some survivor bias stuff that won't be relevant ("I write at 2AM after a cold shower!") but there will also be some "ah ha" gems of true learning.

For business processes, I want to know the 'WHY' more than the 'HOW'.

Why does Entrepreneur Edison designshis own product and distribution systems, as opposed to following an MLM?

Why does Writer X troll forums and go for long trips as opposed to seating at a desk, forcing every scrap of creativity out from his brain?

Why does Inventor Jack get local manufacturers as opposed to hitting up good ol' China?

From the WHYs, I can decide if
- I have the ingredients to make their tactics work, or if I can use just a bit of time to get the ingredients

-these methods have a weakness that needs to be addressed, and I might have a means for that

-I can replicate the frameworks into OTHER fields or pursuits

And I don't write at 2am after a cold shower...my brain gets too blank for that. I somehow do good writing during lunchtime on my phone!

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Jiro Dreams of Sushi

Speaking of learning from masters in their craft, I watched yesterday this documentary about this Japanese chef a highly recommend it to anyone wanting to see what it takes to become a virtuoso at something and work ethic mindset.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Well I'm a couple of classes in and thus far James is really hitting on the "passion" narrative.

He also goes into a significant detail about his early years. And let me tell you, there is no EVENT here, all PROCESS.

About a 1/3 through and I think I can already take away several points that will help me tremendously.

Worth the $$ already, and I haven't finished but one class.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Well I'm a couple of classes in and thus far James is really hitting on the "passion" narrative.

He also goes into a significant detail about his early years. And let me tell you, there is no EVENT here, all PROCESS.

About a 1/3 through and I think I can already take away several points that will help me tremendously.

Worth the $$ already, and I haven't finished but one class.

David Mamet's is awesome ;) He's such a cool guy.

jpmartin

Jedi Master
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 7, 2013

No doubt! And the guys teaching there, are real experts in their field. I couldn't believe it myself... the production quality is amazing.

MJ, was searching for a thread on Udemy specifically. I think I can contribute to it with my experience there, as a business model and referencing "CONTROL" with teachable. There are some nuances on Udemy in terms of pricing, and what you can and cannot do, as well as the use of social proof...

The Chef Ramsay and other cookery ones are pretty insane as well.

Got this for my wife, and can say its fantastic.

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO

Let me just say, DAMN.

My jaw is on the floor.

9e9.gif

Knawwwwwledge.

Get to it!
Wow, amazing post. Thank you, MJ!

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Wow, I hadn't heard of Masterclass either. Signing up asap. Thanks!

Coursera is another great resource. I'm taking a class from Yale....for free. Look mom, I'm going to an Ivy League!

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
I've been thinking my writing could use some polishing up...I mean Iwrite decent enough copy but I can sense some nuances are missing.

Just what I needed, amazing find MJ

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
Great site! I admit, I was skeptical before opening it, because I tend to read everything and do nothing... (maybe not like this but...).

While I am not into 'entertainment', I would like us to go to Mars one day, and I found this -

Chris Hadfield Teaches Space Exploration

and also this 'engineering' class

Frank Gehry Teaches Design and Architecture

and this WOW WOW

Garry Kasparov Teaches Chess

Imagine this pick up line:

"I learn chess from Garry Kasparov" :)

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
I remember taking the Gordon Ramsay one when this thread came up. (Time sure does fly)

Found it to be great edutainment. Great production value, and pretty relaxing to hear personal stories from Ramsay himself while he's doing some pasta. And good info on cooking. If I remember correctly scrambled eggs the Ramsay way are the best I've ever eaten.

Edit: Just had a look and he's released a second course on the platform. I'm tempted...

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
A word of advice here.

When you have a US IP, you pay 180$, which is roughly 156euros.

When you go with a euro country, you pay 200 euros!!!!..... Why the 44 euro difference?!

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Love the Ramsey course. Not seen the new one.

A word of advice here.
When you have a US IP, you pay 180$, which is roughly 156euros.

When you go with a euro country, you pay 200 euros!!!!..... Why the 44 euro difference?!

We often get hammered in the EU. For some reason many US companies just swap the dollar sign to Sterling or Euro.

I've just checked the Apple store in US and UK (image below for costs of latest phone).

Curious to know does the US price include tax or is that extra? If it's included then that's a $450 penalty to purchase the same 512GB phone in the UK. If not I still suspect we are paying an unfair premium.

iphone.jpg

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Mario_fastlaner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 1, 2019
Milano

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
First time I saw this -- unbelievable!!

MythOfSisyphus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 15, 2018
Australia
Damn...

I've been getting pretty big into American BBQ and smoking (It's slowly catching on in Australia) and only just last night I started looking for some courses I could do. I click the link and almost immediately see Aaron Franklin's Texas style BBQ course.

It's meant to be

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Looks like Masterclass is going to have Chris Voss coming up, the FBI negotiator from "Never Split the Difference" book.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.