The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Newbie-Working to move from Slowlane to Fastlane

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

Sampath

Be the Change that you want to see in this world
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Sep 30, 2018
Canberra, Australia
Hi All
I am Sampath, 49, Indian, now living and working in Canberra, Australia.
Bought both TMF & Unscripted . Completed reading Chapter 41 of TMF , Will finish tonight.

Back in the 90s I started my career in IT Training

To cut the story short-below is my share of learning:
25+ years IT experience in most roles in IT
3 job redundancies
2 health upsets
Moved to Australia 12+ years ago
Business/Projects attempted: Network marketing(twice), Share Trading, eBay business and Web development.

Currently - working as an Independent Contractor in the slow lane as a consultant, increasing my intrinsic value and exchanging money for time.

Actions to move to the Fastlane:
1) I am in the process of setting up a Life Coach business. Currently, testing waters by coaching four professionals for testimonials as against charging them.
* I am completing my course in Life Coaching (this certification is a legal requirement within Australia for setting up Coaching business).
* I am working on a website for the Coaching business.( subscription & books)
2) Also, as I am working in the Cloud and Security space @ work, I am gearing up to B2B Copywriting for cloud & security service businesses. (content-based)

I have realized a few months back what has been missing (obvious right actions)and the TMF was slapping on my cheeks as I was turning page-page. Will be completing this book tonight and start with "Unscripted ".

I have started acting on my plans, although I dont have detailed plans, I am going one step at a time with most of the learnings from the past mis-takes.

I guess thats a quick intro about myself.
Open to learn from others.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sampath

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Sep 30, 2018
Canberra, Australia
Hi All
Bought both TMF & Unscripted . Completed reading Chapter 41 of TMF , Will finish tonight.

3 job redundancies
2 health upsets
Business/Projects attempted: Network marketing(twice), Share Trading, eBay business and Web development.

Currently - working as an Independent Contractor in the slow lane as a consultant, increasing my intrinsic value and exchanging money for time.

1) I am in the process of setting up a Life Coach business. Currently, testing waters by coaching four professionals for testimonials as against charging them.
* I am completing my course in Life Coaching (this certification is a legal requirement within Australia for setting up Coaching business).
2) Also, as I am working in the Cloud and Security space @ work, I am gearing up to B2B Copywriting for cloud & security service businesses. (content-based)

I have realized a few months back what has been missing (obvious right actions)and the TMF was slapping on my cheeks as I was turning page-page. Will be completing this book tonight and start with "Unscripted ".

I have started acting on my plans, although I dont have detailed plans, I am going one step at a time with most of the learnings from the past mis-takes.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Welcome @Sampath.

Curious why the move to life coaching when you have all that IT experience?

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
Hi All
Bought both TMF & Unscripted . Completed reading Chapter 41 of TMF, Will finish tonight.

3 job redundancies
2 health upsets

Welcome :)

As a suggestion, I would wait a bit before reading Unscripted . After reading TMF once, and Unscripted twice, I believe they are books for reading them, thinking a lot about them, and coming back after a few months. They need to grow inside you. I personally found more value doing this than devouring the books, although of course it's up to you.

I am curious too about why you want to leave IT behind (although I have some guesses).

Busybee22

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Oct 10, 2018
Hi All
Bought both TMF & Unscripted . Completed reading Chapter 41 of TMF, Will finish tonight.

3 job redundancies
2 health upsets

Hi, I'm new to the forum as well! I think that is such a cool idea. I am really looking forward to hearing about your pogress with a life coaching business. What made you wish to pursue that instead of continuing with technology? It's awesome that you're following your dreams!

-Busybee22

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Welcome aboard my friend.

The #1 thing I've learned in my journey is that you've gotta stay true to who and what you are. I'm a scientist, engineer, programmer, many technical things... but I'm not a web designer or a copywriter or a digital marketer. I achieved some competency in those areas, but could never excel because they're not my "thing".

It was only when I started aligning my actions with my core competencies, rather than following in the path of others, that I felt right about what I was doing.

Moral of the story: if you're an IT guy, you're far better off leveraging that then trying to move onto something like life coaching. It's more aligned with your core skills and who you are (I presume).

Just my $0.02

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Have a listen to the second radio interview in my signature.

“Grow what you know.” is a phrase I heard a while back that stuck with me.

I also used to be IT. I do something different now, but I’ve built on top of my IT skills so I excel at my new thing.

How can you leverage the skills, experience, network, and resources you already have?

Also bear in mind that we likely should all be trying to become better business owners rather than better IT guys, life coaches, etc.

Caveat: I have a real aversion to life coaching. Kung Fu Steve? Sure. The rest of us? Not so sure. So take what I say with a pinch of salt.

Sampath

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Sep 30, 2018
Canberra, Australia
Hi, I'm new to the forum as well! I think that is such a cool idea. I am really looking forward to hearing about your pogress with a life coaching business. What made you wish to pursue that instead of continuing with technology? It's awesome that you're following your dreams!

-Busybee22
Hey
Although I am working with Technology.
I have been loving helping people. I was a reserved/non-communicator originally.

It all started with my very first job as IT trainer where one is forced to talk/communicate to people. Due to a forced situation, I worked nearly 3 months on "How to win friends and influence people" exercises. My life changed and that was in 1992. As I moved onto different roles and jobs, helping people in their difficult situation remained as one of my innate qualities. This was indicated even by my family and friends.

Fast forward 26 years now, have experienced up and downs (although not as a Fastlaner) few health setbacks, family situations, job losses, i have learnt some good lessons, used some strategies which have helped me to come back up to where I am, better than before.

I am strongly compelled and I feel people don't have to go through what they do. Probably it is a question of awareness or somebody assisting at times of need. So I committed to help who I can. At the moment, I am coaching 4 friends, with a return of testimonials, while in parallel studying my Coaching Diploma (becoming mandatory in Australia), working on my website & allied stuff.

All this + family + 9-5 job IT contractor (challenge to get job contracts without gaps).

Sampath

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Sep 30, 2018
Canberra, Australia
Welcome :)

As a suggestion, I would wait a bit before reading Unscripted . After reading TMF once, and Unscripted twice, I believe they are books for reading them, thinking a lot about them, and coming back after a few months. They need to grow inside you. I personally found more value doing this than devouring the books, although of course it's up to you.

I am curious too about why you want to leave IT behind (although I have some guesses).

Agree with you. Need to give some time with books. However, it is also a personal experience, to do things when there is a continuoum. Some of the things stuck quiet hard in the past and I wasnt sure if my thinking was right, TMF validated it. Since I am clear, didn't need that time is required. Again with lots of distractions around, I am focussing on just clearing the path get towards taking action. I have been focussing on coaching+writing+speaking (toast masters).
IT came through work.
To my life's outlook, I am looking at how much impact can I bring in people's lives? and how many people's lives can be touched? What skills that I hone can be put to work? This is next to not possible with the work that I do. Government department is my client- I have limited space to exercise my skills, etc and there is a cap to my earning as well. Business is the only way. I am not leaving IT behind, it will be part of what I do (converge).

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hey
Although I am working with Technology.
I have been loving helping people. I was a reserved/non-communicator originally.

It all started with my very first job as IT trainer where one is forced to talk/communicate to people. Due to a forced situation, I worked nearly 3 months on "How to win friends and influence people" exercises. My life changed and that was in 1992. As I moved onto different roles and jobs, helping people in their difficult situation remained as one of my innate qualities. This was indicated even by my family and friends.

Fast forward 26 years now, have experienced up and downs (although not as a Fastlaner) few health setbacks, family situations, job losses, i have learnt some good lessons, used some strategies which have helped me to come back up to where I am, better than before.

I am strongly compelled and I feel people don't have to go through what they do. Probably it is a question of awareness or somebody assisting at times of need. So I committed to help who I can. At the moment, I am coaching 4 friends, with a return of testimonials, while in parallel studying my Coaching Diploma (becoming mandatory in Australia), working on my website & allied stuff.

All this + family + 9-5 job IT contractor (challenge to get job contracts without gaps).
Good for you. If you’ve life experience and lessons to pass on, and are compelled to help, then that’s great.

The “300 surveys” call in my signature might be interesting for you. A forum member was able to help others with their careers and wanted to scale that.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007