The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Turn. Pulling the trigger on my first ecommerce business!

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Amail, FWIW, the older, crustier mods had this happen in the early days of the forum.

Some folks just don't understand the value of mentoring.

Or, they just don't "get" that you don't sh*t where you eat.

None of those folks are around here anymore.

They were all banned.

Some went quietly. Some were cut off in the middle of an argument.

And others, like bclark85, martyred themselves on the cross of self-righteousness, and endeavored to go out with their heads held high, delusion at its best (or worst, depending on how you look at it).

MJ has created a singularly unique place here, on the web.

A place where older, more seasoned vets can share some of their expertise without fear or concern that those around them will shamelessly use their help against them.

It's stayed that way for many, many years.

I hope to see it continue for many more.

Funny thing about business:

Ethics is ethics is ethics. Not much has changed in the past 300 years.

Look at the story of ANYONE who has risen to the top.

Those who have appreciated their mentors and teachers go one way.

Those that f*ck over their teachers and mentors go the other.

It's a choice we all have to make.

-Russ H.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I have asked the question a dozen times about where the old school posters are. There's a wealth of gold threads in the archive.

Now.

I get it.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
Said this a million times before but worth saying again: "what" you do is irrelevant. I don't understand how people don't get this.

Biophase isn't successful because he sells ghillie suits. He's successful because he dominates the category he's in, and has worked extremely hard to know the niche inside and out. The fact that he sells ghillie suits is irrelevant to his success.

If someone still wanted to go into ghillie suits + wanted some free advice— easy: sell all of Biophase's brands of ghillie suits.(you'd essentially be working as a wholesaler for him, while learning the e-com game) He'd want you to do well selling them.

D

DeletedUser2

This thread,

As someone who mentors people on a regular basis, I have had this happen a couple times.

and I have zero tolerance for it.

dont steal or copy me.

its implied
its stated
its assumed

You SHOULD know better
but it shows the color of the persons character quickly.

WHEN it does happen. im kinda glad. because it usually happens pretty quickly.
and I know to cut them off fast before I waste too much time with them.

saves me from knowing an a**hole years later.
when they can do more damage.

for those that copy others, your missing 90% or more of what it takes to be successful. what you see, the site, the products ect. is just the tip of the iceberg. ALOT of business is relationships. ones that matter when shit breaks, (and it will break), that and the execution of the idea. this guy will miss 99% of what it takes to make shit work when it comes flying apart. the most critical ingredient.

he will have no access to the ones who can solve the problem in 5 min for him. he lost alot.

as for his "I gotta feed my family" sob story. that is utter bullshit. period. just shows his utter lack of character, by justifying bullshit with a whinny story.

as a mentor, this just makes me a bit sad. but it does not deter me from posting, or helping how ever I can. this just makes me say, yep I glad we have a core of people who dont put up with that bullshit. This whole thread makes me happy to be a mentor

because when idiots come along, AND THEY WILL, the group does not put up with his bullshit.

Competition? there is none in this world really. until you hit revenue in the millions.
YOU are your biggest competition, BIO knows this. that's why he wasn't worried.
He was offended. and he should be. being helpful is a way for those of us who have done it and learned, to give back.

we do so because we feel the need, or feel compelled, or we feel like returning the favor, as in my case, to the 3 critical mentors I had in my life, that helped shape it, and make me successful.

I will continue to mentor people. I will continue to post here. I will not share publicly my links nor will I worry about competition, (im still my own biggest obstacle, :) ) but if you look, I dont often share my own links here. because...

I TRUST PEOPLE

I trust people to be human,
I trust they will lie
they will steal,
and they will try to be sneaky.

I trust people to be people.
And, I let them

But in the masses, I know there are people who rise above it, Who struggle to reach out of the muck mud of just being part of humanity
they strive to be leaders, to be more than they can be.

They are the the ones, who can reach beyond "just making money" at any cost.
they are the ones who will someday also mentor, help, and lead others.

they make a difference..

and thats why I mentor people,

Even when you get the bad apples from time to time.

TO all you who truly strive to be better
help is out there...

become worth it. and you can have it.

become worthless, and steal, and you will have to steal the rest of your life.

Good luck

Z

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Last edited:

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Very well said, Zen. Well said indeed. Speed+

dont steal or copy me.

Well, if there is one thing I think people SHOULD copy from you - it is your mindset, attitude, and relentless drive for success. Those are some of the qualities shared by many other members here as well, making this forum very unique. What the OP missed is that this wasn't about PRODUCT or COMPETITION. But about values and qualities we want to see in each other. One lesson learned from this thread perhaps is that when someone mentors you - your #1 goal should be to observe and mimic that person's methodologies, qualities and mindset for the business he or she is in. THEN apply that wisdom to your own business.

By helping each other here - we want others to mimic and copy our best qualities as entrepreneurs. Not mimic and copy our business models, regardless of niche or competition.

Hard work, persistence, creating value, taking action, and giving back. These are all qualities we have (or should have) in common. On top of that comes integrity, pride, and honesty. When one or more of those lack - people catch on, as we have seen here.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I have a solution. How about you put the ghillie suits back onto your site and I'll add the Avery hunting blinds onto mine and we'll call it a day? How does that make you feel? Is it just competition?

He added the ghillie suits back onto his site, so I guess I'm adding hunting blinds back on mine. :)

ubiquitous

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Sep 13, 2012
You know...

I can easily see how biophase feels like he was betrayed and after reading MJ say that someone wrote "The Billionaire Fastlane" I'd probably commit a felony if that was me.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
for those that copy others, your missing 90% or more of what it takes to be successful. what you see, the site, the products ect. is just the tip of the iceberg. ALOT of business is relationships. ones that matter when shit breaks, (and it will break), that and the execution of the idea. this guy will miss 99% of what it takes to make shit work when it comes flying apart. the most critical ingredient.

he will have no access to the ones who can solve the problem in 5 min for him. he lost alot.

Competition? there is none in this world really. until you hit revenue in the millions.
YOU are your biggest competition, BIO knows this. that's why he wasn't worried.
He was offended. and he should be. being helpful is a way for those of us who have done it and learned, to give back.

Z

This is exactly it. I tell everyone that the easiest part of starting an ecommerce site is putting up the site. I would say that it is about 5% of the actual work that needs to be done. If I look at his site from a neutral standpoint, I can see easily 10 issues that I would change that would instantly help. However, he has lost all help from me and this forum and will have to figure them out himself as I did. The part may take him months even years which would cost a great deal of time and money as a simple change can increase conversions by 20% instantly.

Relationships are what matters the most. I don't know everything about PPC, but I have a friend that does. I don't know everything about SEO, but I have a friend that does. When something is stuck in customs, guess what? I call a friend, not an importing business. How am I and other here able to do that? Easily, we've built no lasting relationships on trust. Being able to email and talk to them about things without being charged an hourly rate is great.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Somebody said it very well... ecosystems outlast (and beat) organisms.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Add Avery or whatever products to your site, I will make sure you get enough traffic to run his supplier out of stock. You will get retribution for being screwed in a sudo mentor-ship, and he will get a lesson in why you don't bite the hand that feeds you. This has nothing to do with biz competition.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Relationships are what matters the most. I don't know everything about PPC, but I have a friend that does. I don't know everything about SEO, but I have a friend that does.

To put this into perspective, a member of this forum that I have been communicating with took a look at what I put together, offered some advice, and not 5 hours later I had a sale.

I would sooner lay down my entire business concept and start from scratch than burn a bridge that can't be repaired.

There is a metaphor for what happened here. The goose that laid the golden egg. This user was impatient for results and ignorant of his actions (even after they were pointed out). He thought he harvested all this goose had to offer. Little did he know that with proper care he would have been rewarded gold into perpetuity.

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
I just read through this whole thread... talk about backward rationalization.

I think this further verifies how protective everyone is of this community. When new people join, they are screened very intensely, which took some criticism.

Looking at what happened here, I feel that the intensity should be maintained and even amplified.

If someone is not able to take the heat from the community and gain trust, then they won't be able to succeed in business either... and frankly we don't want them here.

Everyone pulls their own weight around here and that's why there is so much mutual respect.

This bloke just made it that much harder to gain a good rep around here, not only at the expense of himself, but at one of the most trusted members in the community (who mentors tons of people and helped make the biggest B & P a great success this year).

MNentre

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Dec 11, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I didn't really follow this thread too much from the beginning but how it transpired is truly sickening. Props to everyone on here who has helped other members without hesitating to share personal information about their business- after all that is why we're all hanging out here.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of scum that will roll through here and just see $ signs and take an unethical approach at getting it.

To all of the members who will continue to post and provide feedback, THANK YOU. If you decide not to, unfortunately threads like this make it perfectly understandable. I know I have gained a ton of knowledge on the threads mentioned here and it will be unfortunate to see a few of them go.

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
Well I have nothing to add here except maybe a bit of bitter levity

ClGX0sw.png

It's weird, reading this thread and MJ's "Houston we have a problem" thread, does anyone else experience a surge of agita, like a tight red hotness rising in the chestal region? Like a feeling of road rage rising almost. I need counseling.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
It's weird, reading this thread and MJ's "Houston we have a problem" thread, does anyone else experience a surge of agita, like a tight red hotness rising in the chestal region? Like a feeling of road rage rising almost. I need counseling.
Yes! Funny, but now that you mention it I've found the drama of the last couple of days emotionally exhausting.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Let's all order 5 and then return them.

LOL Bob, but really let's not do anything unethical to his site. We can all handle this the opposite way, instead of doing things to hinder his business let's work on increasing ours.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Add Avery or whatever products to your site, I will make sure you get enough traffic to run his supplier out of stock. You will get retribution for being screwed in a sudo mentor-ship, and he will get a lesson in why you don't bite the hand that feeds you. This has nothing to do with biz competition.

Chris, I've already got this ball rolling. :)

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
LOL Bob, but really let's not do anything unethical to his site. We can all handle this the opposite way, instead of doing things to hinder his business let's work on increasing ours.

And just when I thought I couldn't think any more highly of you and how you conduct business.

:thumbsup:

Talisman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
May 19, 2011
Australia
Ah, so THIS is the thread that's being talked about.

What an utter disgrace. Most of us would give a left testacle to get the sort of mentoring that Bio has obviously dolled out here. But, as has been said - the true success isn't from the product, it's from the process - and this fool's going to find that out the hard way.

Doesn't excuse/lessen the theft and betrayal. Disgusting. I would hate to lose this forum, just as I'm starting to get real traction thanks to the help, advice, and wealth of knowledge shared freely and in good faith.

nzerinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 1, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Man, I don't visit this forum for a few days and look what happens...! Lol

But in all seriousness, I just want to say this:

To all the guys and gals on this forum like Biophase and zen******* and Vigilante and JackEdwards and MJ and a whole a bunch of other people that are too many to list, who selflessly impart their wisdom and experience, and use their most precious asset (time) to do so......

THANK YOU!

I cannot repeat that enough. The words you've dropped (and will hopefully continue to do so) have had a huge and lasting affect that will impact not only the forum members that are privy to this information, but THEIR families and friends as well. What you do has a lasting impact on potentially generations of people.

I know that may sound overly dramatic, but its the truth - I cannot get over the amount of "life changing" information that is provided, free of charge, on a day-in, day-out basis.

So when guys like the OP do what they do, I sincerely hope you realize its a very small minority who take for granted what an amazing gift they are receiving (your time, experience, and knowledge to start with), and that for the rest of us, your contributions to this forum continue to be life changing.

Steele Concept

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Sep 3, 2012
Connecticut
Wow this is just crazy! I clicked on this thread in the top ten of whatnot expecting an entrepreneur with a new idea or innovative system. I just read through the whole thing and was rather disgusted. I have several people per month who reach out to me and ask for advice on smoking accessories/counter-culture type of products... I'm not super knowledgeable or anything but I do my best to help them and save time. It would really irk me if someone who I gave a bunch of advice to turned around and made an indestructible water pipe. It's basically a slap in the face and this concept really hit home.

Biophase is a respected, knowledgable guy here and was doing his best to help. It seems when he wanted some answers the unethical copycat responded claiming ignorance and trying to justify the need to feed his children or whatever. I guess the lesson here is that these shady types of people do exist :pissed: It's about ethics, transparency and accountability.

Bottom line is if one is going to conduct themselves like this I doubt they would be successful in the day to day interactions which Bio mentioned really encompass business. Relationships and ecosystem are what matters. Eventually the shady characters are exposed for what they really are and the natural selection in the business world takes its course.

ZDS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 2, 2008
My two cents.... even if this is unethical... it doesn't make sense from a business perspective. There are so many niches out there, with people doing things POORLY... Why would you put yourself in a position to have to compete with someone who is doing a great job and who knows what the hell he's doing. I'll pass and look to compete with the guy whose failing to deliver on multiple key business aspects.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
My two cents.... even if this is unethical... it doesn't make sense from a business perspective. There are so many niches out there, with people doing things POORLY... Why would you put yourself in a position to have to compete with someone who is doing a great job and who knows what the hell he's doing. I'll pass and look to compete with the guy whose failing to deliver on multiple key business aspects.

It does smack of a drunk trying to pick a fight with an MMA fighter.

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
You guys have to be kidding me. What is wrong with him copying someone? Please, it's the cost of doing business. There's nothing ethical about it. If you can't compete then find a new business. If the stability of your business depends on you being the only one in the market. Enjoy it while it lasts. I'm really disgusted with most of the replies on this forum. Hello? Is this fast laners? Come on people! If you are in the fast lane, they can't copy you or slow you down because you are moving too fast!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.