The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Music - Bad (?)

Anything related to matters of the mind

Stepan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Sep 17, 2022
Russia
Hi everyone!

Been on a monk mode for some time and have a question about music. Should you stop listening to it?

Is it bad because it's easy dopamine? You can't really focus while listening to music. And if your really think about it, there's no development in it.

If you are listening to a podcast, an audiobook or just in silence with your thoughts - you are getting better, can't say the same for music. Although I really enjoy it, I think it's just litters your mind.

What do you think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

itsdrmoore

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 18, 2023
Depends what music. I know I enjoy listening to reggae when I need positive vibrations, to escape the negative world. Or classical while cooking.

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Aug 8, 2021
Hi everyone!

Been on a monk mode for some time and have a question about music. Should you stop listening to it?

Is it bad because it's easy dopamine? You can't really focus while listening to music. And if your really think about it, there's no development in it.

If you are listening to a podcast, an audiobook or just in silence with your thoughts - you are getting better, can't say the same for music. Although I really enjoy it, I think it's just litters your mind.

What do you think?
I was thinking about this earlier today actually. I typically only listen to music these days when I'm at the gym, but I am going to start working out with no music (apart from the gym commercial top 100 pop crap that they play), no podcasts (which I think also elevate dopamine, since it's novel and a lottery depending on whether it'll be good or not), I'll use that time to be completely free from stimulation for the hour, and see after a month if I feel any better.

BTW, I spent like 3 years of my life listening to music non-stop because I was an aspiring electronic music producer, and at the end I had such a strange sense of anhedonia towards music, it no longer provided any enjoyment at all.

bray

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jun 30, 2022
Utah
I like listening to music, but I try to listen less to music while I study. It can be distracting and I believe it can decrease productivity. However, if you really cannot get anything done and music will help you get the motivation to get something finished, then you should listen to it.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Hi everyone!

What do you think?

I think you're asking a question instead of accepting the responsibility of answering it for yourself.

Does music serve you?

Yes- Then keep using it.
No- Then stop.

But only you can answer this question in an honest, relevant and impactful manner. Everyone else is just giving you an opinion. It doesn't matter what they think, it matters what you think.

Last edited:

Stepan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Sep 17, 2022
Russia
Depends what music. I know I enjoy listening to reggae when I need positive vibrations, to escape the negative world. Or classical while cooking.
Well if it has lyrics don't you just can't help but sing along instead of focusing on the task? Or is it just me?

Stepan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Sep 17, 2022
Russia
I was thinking about this earlier today actually. I typically only listen to music these days when I'm at the gym, but I am going to start working out with no music (apart from the gym commercial top 100 pop crap that they play), no podcasts (which I think also elevate dopamine, since it's novel and a lottery depending on whether it'll be good or not), I'll use that time to be completely free from stimulation for the hour, and see after a month if I feel any better.

BTW, I spent like 3 years of my life listening to music non-stop because I was an aspiring electronic music producer, and at the end I had such a strange sense of anhedonia towards music, it no longer provided any enjoyment at all.
Working out without music is a different level. David Goggins does that. I do it too. It leaves you alone with your demons, so that's kinda neat!

And yes, overlistening fully crushes pleasure from music, when you have headphones and can easily listen to it, it quickly becomes boring. That's why I don't have headphones and after a long and hard day listening to music at home at the night time hits reeealy different.

Stepan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Sep 17, 2022
Russia
I like listening to music, but I try to listen less to music while I study. It can be distracting and I believe it can decrease productivity. However, if you really cannot get anything done and music will help you get the motivation to get something finished, then you should listen to it
Yeeees, it really hard to focus while listening to music, but sitting in quiet is really weird too

It's like you are doing the work, but you are not there

Stepan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Sep 17, 2022
Russia
I think you're asking a question instead of accepting the responsibility of answering it for yourself.

Does music serve you?

Yes- Then keep using it.
No- Then stop.

But only can answer this question in an honest, relevant and impactful manner. Everyone else is just giving you an opinion. It doesn't matter what they think, it matters what you think.
Maybe so, I just can't figure it out yet.

With music it's distracting
But in silence it's really weird :)

It's just feels like a waste of time in terms of optimizing time.

I also want to know people's personal opinion. What do you think about it? Does it help, or not?

adnanazmi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 22, 2023
Colombo, Sri Lana
Hi everyone!

What do you think?
Music is considered forbidden in a religion. Maybe there is a reason?

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
For focus, anything without lyrics is best for me.

Prdgy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Mar 27, 2023
I was thinking about this earlier today actually. I typically only listen to music these days when I'm at the gym, but I am going to start working out with no music (apart from the gym commercial top 100 pop crap that they play)

I think when it comes to stuff like the gym where you're bound to be listening to music because of the obnoxious hyperpop playlists every gym synchronously decides to play, you might as well get some ANC headphones and either not play anything so you can focus with no music, or listen to the music you prefer. Worst case scenario, the music motivates you instead of being a hindrance. When I'm at the gym, I plop my headphones and listen to some podcasts, my favourite right now is just listening to Andrew Huberman, but if you have youtube premium (which imo is way more value than spotify) you can also listen to some non-podcast videos. Back when in the summer when I had time to kill at the gym, I'd go hours at a time on a treadmill listening to audiobooks.

This is more of a case by case thing. I've found that my personally curtailed playlists do help me focus at certain moments, and it's nice to drown the noise and just read a book when I'm in a very noisy area, like school. If you're just vibing to the music without getting anything done, then sure, I guess that's something you have to work on. I think when you're past the point where you can't walk to a place without listening to music, that's when you should ask yourself whether music is providing you any benefit.

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
So that's why you're such a beast...
You tried to finally feel something with music again, thus pumping the Sally Pushup song with physical exercise, in hopes of the endorphines of the exercise to produce enough enjoyment to enjoy the music again... But even after one whole hour and 2 liters of sweat in one session, you still didn't feel anything.

Truly a tragic FTE.
My dms are always open, bro

Nazca

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
May 3, 2023
France
I'd say it really depend on the tasks too. For my case, music is distraction for tasks that require concentration. But it can be helpful for chilling, resting or tasks related to producing something that doesn't require much concentration. I like to listen to music while writing video scripts or social media posts. I used to listen to music while doing 3D work too, it stimulated my creativity. Music for creative tasks is a good thing in my opinion.

Sometimes I 'regret' being a music producer myself because I would love to listen to music while... I produce music. Funny paradox.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
You know that you are a human being, right? You‘re not a f*cking robot that needs to be doing something productive every minute of every day.

If you enjoy music, listen to it. Not everything in your life has to be about being a productive person.

If listening to 3 minutes of a song you love (or even 3 hours but then rather in the background) brings a smile onto your face and brightens your mood, I‘d say this is actually a great and healthy way to get a dopamine rush.

So, turn that shit up and enjoy it.

Andrés08

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
May 6, 2023
México
Hey Stepan

Music can be good or bad, it just depends on you, and it also depends on the type of music you're listening to

I usually listen to music when I'm reading and when I'm working out at the gym, it allows me to focus twice as better
Although I admit it becomes distracting sometimes, that's why I don't really hear music when I'm working/studying anymore

Do what is best for you bro ;)

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Hi everyone!

What do you think?
You don't need to see in color either.

ivailopanamski

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Nov 24, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
From my experience as a programmer, music definitely decreases my ability to concentrate, think clearly and solve problems optimally, especially if I start listening to it from the beginning of the workday. I've also noticed that it decreases my motivation to do hard things.

Stepan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Sep 17, 2022
Russia
I like listening to movie scores or classical when working or reading. I find this helps me fill the quiet void, and still be focused.
Thank you, I'll try music scores!

Stepan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Sep 17, 2022
Russia
For me, music distracts me from work because I start vibing with it. So less music than last month. This is my ongoing goal.
Yeeees, you start vibing to music and can't focus on work, but working in silence is uncomfortable. Maybe try music scores, classical or lofi

Stepan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Sep 17, 2022
Russia
When I'm at the gym, I plop my headphones and listen to some podcasts
How does it help you? Can you give 100% to a workout if you are also trying to understand the podcast?

Stepan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Sep 17, 2022
Russia
You know that you are a human being, right? You‘re not a f*cking robot that needs to be doing something productive every minute of every day.

If you enjoy music, listen to it. Not everything in your life has to be about being a productive person.

If listening to 3 minutes of a song you love (or even 3 hours but then rather in the background) brings a smile onto your face and brightens your mood, I‘d say this is actually a great and healthy way to get a dopamine rush.

So, turn that shit up and enjoy it.
Idk man, I'd like to get max productivity now and do everything and than enjoy everything without any shame. Maybe it's wrong, I just don't want any time wasted

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.