The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Marketing vs. Sales

Marketing, social media, advertising

Conquest

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Oct 10, 2021
Albany, New York
Hey guys,

I'm curious as to the difference of when someone would want to prioritize marketing vs. sales in their business.
My impression is that marketing is a more scalable option, so why waste time attempting to convert clients via cold calling, or in-person? I'm assuming that given how digitalized the market is today, one can reach a much larger breadth of audience when running ads, or optimizing SEO.

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm genuinely trying to learn.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Hey guys,

I'm curious as to the difference of when someone would want to prioritize marketing vs. sales in their business.
My impression is that marketing is a more scalable option, so why waste time attempting to convert clients via cold calling, or in-person? I'm assuming that given how digitalized the market is today, one can reach a much larger breadth of audience when running ads, or optimizing SEO.

Last edited:

Miketing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 7, 2014
Often depends on the price and commitment of the product or service.

Someone is not going to hire a wealth manager to handle $10M of assets just from clicking an ad. On the other end, it's not worth cold-calling someone to try and sell a $5 basketball.

You can combine the two though, of course. E.g. ads > landing page > book a call > close the sale

Conquest

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Oct 10, 2021
Albany, New York
Often depends on the price and commitment of the product or service.

Someone is not going to hire a wealth manager to handle $10M of assets just from clicking an ad. On the other end, it's not worth cold-calling someone to try and sell a $5 basketball.

You can combine the two though, of course. E.g. ads > landing page > book a call > close the sale
This makes a lot of sense to me.

Products of a higher magnitude may demand more time learning about sales, products with higher scalability may benefit from a marketing focus.
But of course, the goal is to have magnitude and scalability intersect at a high value (thus the high need for marketing and sales).. correct?

Devampre

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 6, 2016
Canada
Well it depends on the business, but I see it like this:
  • You have a product/service
  • You want customers to buy this from you
  • How do you get customers?
  1. You can reach out to people and see if they are interested in your product/service (sales)
  2. You can put out some form of advertisement to have them reach out to you if they are interested in your product service. (marketing)
Ultimately, I'd recommend keeping things simple and trying out both. Beginning of course with what feels like the right move.

Hope that helps. :)

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
Marketing = Sprinkle the Water in the Garden
Sales = Closing After Getting the Qualified Leads in your Garden

Your Garden = Your Business ;)

Tammie Nguyen

New Contributor
Aug 10, 2021
Hey guys,

Hi,

I think you should do both of them. Marketing is the activity, set of institutions, and processes for creating, communicating, delivering, and exchanging offerings that have value for customers, clients, partners, and society at large. When customers get their first attention about your product then sales should happen. A dedicated salesman will guide customers, explore their wants and needs to help them finally successfully solve their pain points with your solution (your product).

If you want to save up your time doing marketing and sales, I suggest you can implement a CRM with marketing automation feature. And I'm here to bring you a good new. I’m Tammie Nguyen from Getfly CRM - the leading CRM software in VietNam. We intend to expand our business internationally and are looking for establishing a long-term business partnership with foreign trusted partners (preferably US partners). Your benefits will not only be our commitment to pay you a high and competitive commission per deal but also a shared value to help businesses around the world grow to the next level. A partner/agent can also use our CRM software for free.

If it’s appropriate, please send me an email via: trangntk@getflycrm.com

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hey guys,

It seems like you're asking whether to do outbound or inbound marketing?

As for "Marketing vs Sales" ... they're just labels people put on activities.

For me, marketing means:
  1. Find out what people want to buy.
  2. Find out how to profitably sell it to them.
  3. Do it.
For me that includes sales.

I don't try to distinguish between what's marketing and what's sales. At the end of the day the goal of marketing is to help us make sales. And sales is a value exchange where we get paid to help/entertain/educate people.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Marketing is driving the ball.

Sales is putting.

Both are required.

If your marketing is great, the sales are easy to putt in.

If not, your sales chops better be damn good, because you've got a long way to make it to the hole.

1634215713165.png

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Sales is putting.

Both are required.

If not, your sales chops better be damn good, because you've got a long way to make it to the hole.

View attachment 40353
How hard is it for the barman to sell you a drink when you walk up to the bar?

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
454%
Mar 15, 2018

Sales is putting.

Both are required.

View attachment 40353
Best description I’ve heard so far. Thanks! Love it.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I think you should do both of them. Marketing is the activity, set of institutions, and processes for creating, communicating, delivering, and exchanging offerings that have value for customers, clients, partners, and society at large. When customers get their first attention about your product then sales should happen. A dedicated salesman will guide customers, explore their wants and needs to help them finally successfully solve their pain points with your solution (your product).
Thank you Tammie for your good definition of marketing. Most people confuse the words advertising and marketing, thinking that advertising IS marketing, whereas in its various forms it is an essential part of marketing.
I wrote about what really is marketing in this post:

How to learn Branding?

I suggest that you should produce an English version of your website. If you want to work with English speaking business people you will need that.

Walter

Conquest

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Oct 10, 2021
Albany, New York
Thank you Tammie for your good definition of marketing. Most people confuse the words advertising and marketing, thinking that advertising IS marketing, whereas in its various forms it is an essential part of marketing.

How to learn Branding?

I suggest that you should produce an English version of your website. If you want to work with English speaking business people you will need that.

Walter
Incredible post.

That clears up a lot and dispels my belief that marketing is just advertisement. I'm starting to get it now, half the battle is selling the experience of the product. If Samsung had better cameras, I wouldn't care because I want the hipness the iPhone brings.

Tammie Nguyen

New Contributor
Aug 10, 2021

How to learn Branding?

Walter
hi Walter,

Thank you for your suggestion. We have already had an English version of our website. You can take a visit at: Getfly Langding Page

Are you interested in exploring our CRM dear? Can we take further action of setting a quick introductory meeting @Walter Hay

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Hey guys,

Marketing is strategy and direction, sales is the execution. It is hard to separate in practice for small business.

For big corporation marketing the divide is more clear cut. You have marketing team doing brand awareness that usually produce result that important but hard to track and quantify. Sales teams are focused more on order fulfillment and not screwing it up.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.