The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Making Money With Web Design 2017/2018

GutsySteel

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Sep 8, 2017
Germany
I read the first thread and just finished the udemy course. I have a client who is a Junior World Champion but the problem is that i don't know how to do the Webdesign and work with the themes. I would appreciate any advice and help to understand how to handle a multipage or should i do a onepage Website?
This is my first post and i hope that i don't bother anyone.

Thank you guys in advance!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
I read the first thread and just finished the udemy course. I have a client who is a Junior World Champion but the problem is that i don't know how to do the Webdesign and work with the themes. I would appreciate any advice and help to understand how to handle a multipage or should i do a onepage Website?

I would start off with a one-pager. If you do a kick-a$$ job he shouldn't need much more for a personal site. Plus you could always add more later on, whatever you do just make sure its a step up from what he's got. If he don't got nothing then that's even better, nowhere to go but up.

GutsySteel

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Sep 8, 2017
Germany
I would start off with a one-pager. If you do a kick-a$$ job he shouldn't need much more for a personal site. Plus you could always add more later on, whatever you do just make sure its a step up from what he's got. If he don't got nothing then that's even better, nowhere to go but up.
He doesn't have a Website but i just had the impression that a multipage Website (which i don't know how to build yet) is the appropriate response but i guess if i do a good Job i should be able to capture whats important in only OnePage.

Thank you for your response!

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hey man,

Still going strong with web design as well thanks to your older thread!

Throughout my journey, I clearly screwed up while building my foundation. That video you posted clearly resonated with me. At first, I tried to help out anybody within my network and who "needed" a website. You clearly explained why that can keep you stuck and limit your progress to getting bigger and better clients. So for anyone reading this, watch that video and follow exactly what he says.

A quote of yours really got my attention:

"I will show dozens of ways I can add value and remove nearly all of the risk."

"I also reversed all the risk in multiple different ways."

"They can't lose and stand to gain a lot >>> deal was made."

I agree with you 100% on what you said and thought this was a genius move. When people can clearly see they have all to gain and nothing to lose, it makes your offer irresistible and selling your service a lot easier.

By any chance do you have an example of "removing risk"?

I have seen this done in SEO and PPC before, but never in web design, so I'm curious as to how this approach is done within our field.

"Bottom line > every owner is sick of generic business messages. A highly tailored, planned out sales pitch with huge, real value gives you ar every high % chance of doing business together."

"It sounds like a lot of work (and it does take some time for sure) but it is the difference between 5 sales calls a month making great money and 50 sales calls a day and scraping by. Once you get how this works it is very easy to make deals."

I agree as well.

I quoted this because I was wondering what has worked best for you in terms of prospecting to people you don't know.

Within the facebook group, I have seen email examples of group members sending businesses a message, showcasing their problems, and inviting them to a call.

Do you think this is still the best way to go about it? Or throughout this time have you found a better approach?

Hope all is well,

I closed a 6k site today. It took one hour long call and two emails (for logistics).

Here is the second email after the phone call to recap...

(DONT JUST COPY THIS - that defeats the whole point of what I am showing here, this is an example of the level of detail even after the sale is agreed on. If you want big sales this is what you need to be prepared to do)

Hi ****** thanks for the call earlier,

Also ****** it is nice to meet you!

So I took a bit of time after the call and reflected over everything you said. There is a lot of different moving parts to this project but its possible to do something great and also have it done on time. I think the main points right now are this...

- Immediate fix of the sign up page. This design and the way it structured is not helping your business. This would be the first area to focus on and really do up something great (but still one page) that allows you to not lose any more business and start collecting the details you will need for later when you launch.

This can be done fast and should be the first step. Once you are ready to move ahead I will start on this right away. It will need some work from your end (I will try to do everything possible for me to do myself though) but I will outline exactly what that is when we start.

You want as many sign ups as possible for when you are ready to begin your seminars so this is crucial.

- Next would be the front end of the site. This is just a fancy term for everything you see that isn't the seminars and videos you host. This will be the second area I will focus on. My area of expertise is in sales. I build websites that sell and everything I design is done from that approach. So it does take a bit of time to study your business and your different types of clients but I will do this in detail and design a site that ensures you get the most possible students out of the people who come across your site.

- Third will be the back end of the website - again this just is a term to mean where your videos and products are hosted. We will use the platform I showed ****** on the call but I will rebrand it and connect it to your site so its a seamless transition for your users. You will be able to control all of this allowing for easy sign ups, payments, new courses etc. Its great software and actually kinda fun to use (or maybe I am just a little geeky ha!).

I only work with businesses where I believe my work is a small fraction of the value you get in return. This definitely seems to be the case with this project and I actually under priced a little because I think with some more work next year you could hugely increase your revenue. I don't see any reason to not be doing similar revenues to the other businesses we looked at and especially with a better website and platform. Anyway I would love to knock this first stage out of the park so that you are happy to work with me again if that happens.

If you have any questions let me know but how I work is this - 50% up front and 50% when its online and you are all fully happy. I start right away and I work very fast. I also keep in mind you are all busy too so I make it really simple to give me what I need and then I work solo as much as possible.

I will send my quote in a few minutes but I wanted to send this first.

Any questions or feedback just let me know. If not once payment is made I will start with the initial plan and let you know what information I will need from you. I think the first stage (the sign up page) can be live this week but it does require some access details from your end.

Thanks,

Rob

P.s. I almost forgot...

Here are some references that you asked for, if you want more just ask...

>>> enter two solid references I have made a million + dollars for directly through their websites. <<<

-------------

This email is something I shouldn't even share here but if you can figure out why this style of email is so effective and use the same approach for yourself you will see your close rates go way up and the overall work required go way down.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Before I ask my question, I just want to add some background info on my current state. I’ve been designing for about 5 years now but my main focus is UI Design. It’s pretty close to Web Design but also is sort of different. My question is, how exactly did you reach out to customers and companies, or did they reach out to you? Did you have a portfolio to help you?

This is a super general question so...
- I either cold email first or I don't. Either way sales are made when I get on the phone. So I get on the phone and start selling.
- Clients reach out to me much more than I cold call though. Either way I still sell the exact same way, its just easier when they are warm.
- I use my portfolio when it makes sense. Today I didn't have to but they already knew about my results.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

What is the goal with the website and what needs to be there to make it happen?

If there is a lot of different content needed than multi, if a one page would mean more results than one page.

Can you provide more details - what does your client need?

Martinv678

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 6, 2013
Hey @Fox. Another great thread, it's great to see you crushing it. Quick question what books on selling and marketing would you recommend?

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
#notable #goldwatch

Wow $500! Thanks buddy.

I gave u $500 that day because the GOLD in that post, and many of your other posts, is between the lines.

To recap for people: the money is in solutions. @Fox doesn't sell websites or web design: that's just the commodity he offers.

He solves problems.

The difference between a $300 website and a $10,000 website is the size of the solution. Building a site for someone just because 'you need something' and building it for someone because 'it will help solve one of the biggest problems you have at the moment' are two totally different things.

Last edited:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
#notable #goldwatch

I gave u $500 that day because the GOLD in that post, and many of your other posts, is between the lines.

To recap for people: the money is in solutions. @Fox doesn't sell websites or web design: that's just the commodity he offers.

He solves problems.

The difference between a $300 website and a $10,000 website is the size of the solution. Building a site for someone just because 'you need something' and building it for someone because 'it will help solve one of the biggest problems you have at the moment' are two totally different things.

Ya my coding skills have maybe gone up 50% in the last year, my design 100%, but my problem finding and solving skills 1000%. That’s how I sell so well and why my sites usually produce huge ROI.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hey @Fox. Another great thread, it's great to see you crushing it. Quick question what books on selling and marketing would you recommend?

- MJs books
- Spin Selling
- Breaking the Time Barrier (free ebook)
- The Boron Letters

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
- MJs books
- Spin Selling
- Breaking the Time Barrier (free ebook)
- The Boron Letters

Hey Fox, thanks for all your help on this forum and giving me some hope . I can't wait to give other people value the way Fox and others have given on this forum.

Bulgano

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Sep 12, 2017
Australia
Completely forgot about this thread, so stupidly PM'd you about something. Will post my question here so others can hopefully benefit from an answer if provided.

I'm currently doing a site for a large client, my first client. (Obtained by a family connection.)
Since it's my first client, I'm obviously working for cheap so that I can build my portfolio and use it as a way to get referrals.

While the site is pretty much done, I had some reflection the other night and thought; "I've made an excellent looking site that includes all their information and staff, but does it really add any value to their business?"

They are a company that makes a profit from sales and being the middleman between the creator of a product, and the people that then buy that product from them to sell to the consumers. This means that their priority is really getting new clients and getting more product from the creators so that they can sell and thus make more profit.

How exactly can I prioritize this thought and put it into action? I've been thinking a lot about it but it has never struck me how exactly I could implement this into the site.

Secondly, if you are having a meeting with the owner/CEO of a company, what are some good "trigger" questions to ask that will get them to open up about what they think is best for the company? This could then lead to a conversation of ideas about what could be added to the site to bring VALUE to the actual company rather than just a nice looking website.

Not really sure if much of what I said above-made sense, but the points I'm trying to ask is;
  • Can you provide some relatable examples/ways to approach and talk to business owners to get them to reveal what they think is best for the company so that you can then solve those problems with the website?
  • Have you ever been in a situation like this (presumably when you were first starting out), where you aren't really sure what mindset you should be in when trying to think of ways to "add value" to a company?
  • In relation to the above point, when you were starting out were you ever given any advice or ideologies that helped with understanding the mindset you needed to be in?

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
Completely forgot about this thread, so stupidly PM'd you about something. Will post my question here so others can hopefully benefit from an answer if provided.

I'm currently doing a site for a large client, my first client. (Obtained by a family connection.)
Since it's my first client, I'm obviously working for cheap so that I can build my portfolio and use it as a way to get referrals.

While the site is pretty much done, I had some reflection the other night and thought; "I've made an excellent looking site that includes all their information and staff, but does it really add any value to their business?"

They are a company that makes a profit from sales and being the middleman between the creator of a product, and the people that then buy that product from them to sell to the consumers. This means that their priority is really getting new clients and getting more product from the creators so that they can sell and thus make more profit.

How exactly can I prioritize this thought and put it into action? I've been thinking a lot about it but it has never struck me how exactly I could implement this into the site.

Secondly, if you are having a meeting with the owner/CEO of a company, what are some good "trigger" questions to ask that will get them to open up about what they think is best for the company? This could then lead to a conversation of ideas about what could be added to the site to bring VALUE to the actual company rather than just a nice looking website.

Not really sure if much of what I said above-made sense, but the points I'm trying to ask is;
  • Can you provide some relatable examples/ways to approach and talk to business owners to get them to reveal what they think is best for the company so that you can then solve those problems with the website?
  • Have you ever been in a situation like this (presumably when you were first starting out), where you aren't really sure what mindset you should be in when trying to think of ways to "add value" to a company?
  • In relation to the above point, when you were starting out were you ever given any advice or ideologies that helped with understanding the mindset you needed to be in?

It seems you already answered your own questions. Your site probably does not bring any value. Any clown can put together a wordpress or bootstrap template with pretty pictures and FAQ sections about staff.

I would tell your client you are starting over with a fresh perspective which will bring in sales, better user experience and solve their problems.
- I would ask the CEO long term goals of his org
-his pain points of getting their goals accomplished
-what is the purpose of his website
-who his target market is
-What direction is the industry heading?

I'm pretty sure that your client will be pleased that you are taking extra initiative if you start over.

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
I have a question on how to proceed with clients once you've got them interested. Say you send out emails/mail/calls to leads and they call you back and ask you "I'm interested, what next?" What do you say?

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
I have a question on how to proceed with clients once you've got them interested. Say you send out emails/mail/calls to leads and they call you back and ask you "I'm interested, what next?" What do you say?

Always try to have a pre-determined flow in your sales process, surprises ain't a good thing.
Try to have them schedule a time to talk with you. What I've started to adopt is the use of Calendly (Calendly - Scheduling appointments and meetings is super easy with Calendly.). Super easy indeed, just put this in your email signature and have the person schedule a good time if they are interested.

But, in the case that you do happen to get a surprise call back, if your not prepared to speak then I would simply let them know. Make up an excuse like you are driving and then ask if you can call them back in an hour or two.

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
Always try to have a pre-determined flow in your sales process, surprises ain't a good thing.
Try to have them schedule a time to talk with you. What I've started to adopt is the use of Calendly (Calendly - Scheduling appointments and meetings is super easy with Calendly.). Super easy indeed, just put this in your email signature and have the person schedule a good time if they are interested.

But, in the case that you do happen to get a surprise call back, if your not prepared to speak then I would simply let them know. Make up an excuse like you are driving and then ask if you can call them back in an hour or two.

I sent out direct mail with the option for them to email or call back... I should have thought about figuring out the sales process first! Damn it...

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
I sent out direct mail with the option for them to email or call back... I should have thought about figuring out the sales process first! Damn it...

Well at least you did something. Better to act than to overthink and do zero :)

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
Well at least you did something. Better to act than to overthink and do zero :)

Heh, true...

As of now I'm thinking of answering the "what next?" question with something like "The first step would be figuring out the pricing based on the changes the website needs, which is 50% upfront. Then I take the website's existing content and place it in a more modern design, host it on my servers and once we're both happy, transfer it over."
And telling them I'll send over a more detailed email or something.

I'm afraid of sounding like I'm winging it.

Last edited:

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
Hey, I got a bit of an urgent question. I have a client who is super interested but I have on concern and that is maintaining or even improving their SEO rank. My plan is to leave their current site up while I build a new one for them, after they are satisfied we will then just swap my code into their existing domain.

I suggest that you redirect the previous pages to relevant pages on the new site after the code is swapped. Should be quick to do for each page on the current site listing. This may still impact SEO on google as any back links will now resolve as redirects but at least they will resolve to something. I know for certain that if the links are dead Google will remove them from ranking after the bots encounter dead links a few times.

This approach has a second benefit in that any existing links to the client posted anywhere on the web will redirect to the new site instead of a 404.

Hope that helps, your post is a little old but I just read it and thought other people may have a similar issue so wanted to post how I would resolve.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

You need to get on the phone and meet in person. The goal is a detailed conversation about what is going on with their business.
You want to look for problem (and the areas impacted) but also what goals and visions they have for the future.

A good website should link into all these things and a good conversation is the fastest way to do it. You need to get good at asking the right questions and listening to what is being said. Understanding all of this allows you to build websites that make a huge difference.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
@Fox How did you hire a sales man since you dont reside in canada? how did you vet him?

I do commission only. That removes a lot of the dangers/drama. Look for a solid track record of past results (doesn't have to be sales though).

The biggest things I want to see is honesty and ability to get results. They don't need to sell as much as they need to find people who might buy. I am happy to sell so it is all about creating leads and linking me and the potential client together.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

You need to have know what the goal was before you started. If you don't know the purpose of the site you can't track results.

Work with businesses who have somewhat consistent results before the website and then track the progress afterwards. Directly ask them a few weeks or months after the website has gone live what changed and have they noticed a difference?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Apologies on being way behind posting on this thread - I sold $17,000 worth of sites last week and was busy finishing the web developer course before that.

I will be updating this thread with YouTube content and posts during 2018. If you have any topics you would like to see please post here and let me know.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Finally got the video tutorials going. These should help a lot over time.

Let me know any thoughts or feedback since I am still quite new to video.

Canuker

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jan 5, 2016
@Fox A question concerning site size.

I've come across a lot of big companies, in boring blue collar niches, with horrid sites, that are prime for the picking. BUT, a lot of these sites have a seemingly endless amount of pages. Every page has 10 links, each of those links has another 8 links, and so on a so fourth. It's like every service and sub service they have has it's own dedicated page.

I usually get excited by the opportunity these sites present, but then get awfully intimidated by the size the more I dig in. Do you have experience drastically reducing the size of a site? What would your criteria be for sites like these. Companies who are offering a ton of different specializations.

Should I steer clear or should I focus on condensing the information and keeping it on an essentials basis?

Thanks !

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
@Fox A question concerning site size.

I've come across a lot of big companies, in boring blue collar niches, with horrid sites, that are prime for the picking. BUT, a lot of these sites have a seemingly endless amount of pages. Every page has 10 links, each of those links has another 8 links, and so on a so fourth. It's like every service and sub service they have has it's own dedicated page.

I usually get excited by the opportunity these sites present, but then get awfully intimidated by the size the more I dig in. Do you have experience drastically reducing the size of a site? What would your criteria be for sites like these. Companies who are offering a ton of different specializations.

Should I steer clear or should I focus on condensing the information and keeping it on an essentials basis?

Thanks !
I'd be cautious about just cutting pages down for the sake of making your job easier. They very well could have traffic going to those links and SEO and needlessly reducing pages can result in some major issues for some companies

Canuker

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jan 5, 2016
I'd be cautious about just cutting pages down for the sake of making your job easier. They very well could have traffic going to those links and SEO and needlessly reducing pages can result in some major issues for some companies

I didn't meant to imply that I would just start cutting pages for the sake of cutting them.

What I meant to say was how do we determine what pages are crucial, and which should be cut? Where can we minimize and where can should we remain the same.

I quickly searched and found this site as an example (lots and lots of pages):

3R of Charleston, Inc. Environmental, Industrial, and Waste Transportation Services in Charleston, South Carolina.

Canuker

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jan 5, 2016
Another question. Should we be wanting to create content for the sites we build? In terms of things like informational PDFs and other lead magnets. Would this be a good thing to include in our package.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.