The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I have trouble making money as an Entrepreneur

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York
As I sit here in a sober house with 15 other people on a rainy and windy Tuesday night before the holidays. Im sitting here thinking. I have trouble making money as an entrepreneur. Yes i have had some successes with website design, freelace web design. I honestly think it comes down to me giving up. I have a problem with "if it doesnt work in less than a week" I partially push it aside to go back to it later. The only thing i have stuck with is websites and coding to a degree. I have also had jobs at agencies before too. But as a business owner i am really struggling. I do do well in jobs yes, it gives me structure, a reason to wake up, forces me to learn a skill and get moving for the day. But I dont want to be that guy thats stuck in a job with the positiblity of getting fired (again). Sure, a business can fail and go bankrupt but if I have a good savings I would rather that. I've been trying for 10 years to create a great scalable idea. I think i came up with some good ones but I never had the skillset(computer programming with a high level language) to complete them, or even the money to outsource and hire a developer. I have the time to make it work this time, no time constraints since im in the sober hour. I have 3 months until I can either get a job, or go to school for a computer programming bootcamp(my choice).

In my situation what steps would you take so you can make something out of your life at 36 years old? Minset, business, money, networking...etc

Crissco

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Mar 15, 2018
Buckle up, it'll be a ride you won't enjoy reading... but someone should probably tell you this.

As I sit here in a sober house with 15 other people on a rainy and windy Tuesday night before the holidays. Im sitting here thinking. I have trouble making money as an entrepreneur.

At this point in your post, my mind is wondering "what does this person do? Is this a business or a person problem?"

Yes i have had some successes with website design, freelace web design.

Ahh... that explains a lot. But I am in a minority here on the forum. And it has been debated and I will leave it to you to do your own research. Is freelance web design any good for a "business" these days? How does it stack up against MJ's CENTS framework?

Please write out your thoughts to yourself or here in the public eye...

I honestly think it comes down to me giving up. I have a problem with "if it doesnt work in less than a week" I partially push it aside to go back to it later. The only thing i have stuck with is websites and coding to a degree.

It looks like the problem is both the business you chose AND your personality / mindset. Lot's to unpack here...

Would you hit the gym for a week and if you didn't become Mr Olympia like Arnold, you'd give up? Is this your expectation in business? Or did you expect that Jeff Bezos's Amazon only took 1 week to build to its current level? It sounds absurd to me for anyone to expect success in a week or give up. That's not entrepreneurship. That's not even a good employee behaviour. Damn...

What do you mean "only thing I have stuck with is website and coding to a degree"? You mean you've stuck with it for more than a week? That says nothing.

Or ... maybe it says a lot! But you won't like to hear what it's saying to you.

I have also had jobs at agencies before too. But as a business owner i am really struggling. I do do well in jobs yes, it gives me structure, a reason to wake up, forces me to learn a skill and get moving for the day.

What are you saying here? Are you a business owner who has no reason to wake up and doesn't learn anything? What on earth kind of "business" is that? I am not aware of any business that meets this description.

If you can't get moving for the day without a job, then what's the problem with having a job? Why not enjoy employment and all the perks that come with it?

But I dont want to be that guy thats stuck in a job with the positiblity of getting fired (again).

Oh-oh...

You know the answer already. If you can't stay employed and business isn't motivating you or teaching you anything. What are your aspirations in life? Win a Lotto and do F*ck all nothing for as long as you can?

Sure, a business can fail and go bankrupt but if I have a good savings I would rather that. I've been trying for 10 years to create a great scalable idea.

Have you read MJ's books?

Ideas are worthless. Everyone has thousands of great ideas. It's all about execution. What have you done in the past 10 years to improve your ability to execute and truly become an entrepreneur. Because your post here screams of mediocrity. Not an ingredient I'd recommend for your aspirations to be a business owner. Business demands excellence.

I think i came up with some good ones but I never had the skillset(computer programming with a high level language) to complete them, or even the money to outsource and hire a developer. I have the time to make it work this time, no time constraints since im in the sober hour.

Are you an addict? Am I reading it right? What are you doing to stay sober?

I have 3 months until I can either get a job, or go to school for a computer programming bootcamp(my choice).

Why are there only two choices listed? Can you expand your list to at least 20 choices?
- Get a job in ____ (5 areas)
- Sell and re-sell things on craiglist
- wash windows
- self study while working full time to pay my bills
- outwork every human in the company and get promoted to ownership
- buy a business
- drive for uber (shitty job, don't recommend it... but it's good to know about all options)
... keep adding to the list for at least 1 hour of uninterrupted time. Pick the best for you.

In my situation what steps would you take so you can make something out of your life at 36 years old? Minset, business, money, networking...etc

Crissco

Crissco - I am being blunt with you and hope you find it helpful, but I don't know you. I only know what your wall of text tells me. A
nd it says:
1. You lack discipline. Discipline is a like a muscle, the more you use it, the stronger it gets. It also gets tired quickly when you got little of it.
2. You don't have a proper appreciation or understanding of what it takes to be an entrepreneur. Re-read MJs books, it'll course correct you.
3. How you do one thing, is how you all things. Your post is kind of lazy and indicative of why you are struggling in business. You could have made your post far better. How? Take longer to write about your business, structure your sentences into a more readable format.

Hope this helps.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.