The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Limiting Beliefs

Anything related to matters of the mind

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Friends, fastlaners, you pick the title.

After responding to another thread here just a minute ago, I was reminded of something that stood out to me in my past. I don't know what to call it, but as this post comes to life, a title will form.

I'm talking about the ideologies that are bread into young people, just like you and I were one day. Really young, single and double digits.

"Well, what's the point of all this Matt?"

I'll tell you... somewhere out there, someone reading this, will stop and say... damn, that sounds like my life. That just gave me the inspiration and suggestion on what to do to help myself out of a hole.

Point being, ideas that are put into our head at the youngin' stage. Many people, myself included, needed one hell of a reality check to identify what was really going on, yet they are simple as pie like most things.

I'll use myself as an example here.

I grew up in private christian schools my whole life, until my junior year in high school. Militarian (is that a word? lol) type private schools, where educational, spiritual, and owned ideologies were engrained into our heads every day out of the year.

Did they intend to do that? Maybe. Maybe not. No matter, that was the result.

Fast forward to graduating high school area of life. The disposition that all I had to do was get through college was the clearest thing I had been taught. I'll speak for thousands of others, and say they though the same.

Call me crazy, but subconsciously, somehow I thought that all I had to do was learn until I got out of college. What a crock of shit! What's worse, what kind of life was that setting me up for? Geesh, so boring. (I feel very fortunate, I can't tell you)

You can imagine all the dialogue I am skipping here, but what those types of learned behaviors did for me was not for the positive. (I'm laughing right now, thinking that my parents PAID for that. LOL -- not that they weren't doing the right thing, they were doing what they thought was right)

So, all this jibberish probably makes no sense at all (I'm leaving out tons!), as I'm typing 100 mph and gotta get out the door...someone else can continue on and summarize better.... but point being, for many people out there, there are subconscious ideas and habbits that have to be recognized and broken through.

Many times, people take simple things like "how you view yourself learning" forgranted, and don't realize how much it affects other aspects of you life and future.

The whole point of this thread is to say this: if you are struggling, just take two steps back and see if you need to knock down barriers from your childhood. The ones I am talking about here are what I call, "learned futures."

As a kid, I was always very gifted and super creative. But, at the same time, I was crippled by my own learning system and surroundings, if that makes any sense. Later in life, oh about a bit over a year ago (when I found this place), aspects of my "learned future" (i.e. how they taught me it should be) got in the way.

Beliefs about someone elses life and lifestyle were engrained into my head for years and years and years.

For those of you that may have trouble understanding change or are hitting roadblocks, there's something to think about and maybe work on.

As for what to call this thread? Hah, I have no idea.

Lemme know if I've had one to many jack n cokes or need to lay off the halucinogens... :smxF:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thread title changed to "limiting beliefs" which is what you describe.

Tony Robbins talks about these a lot -- they are faulty beliefs that limit your progress in life.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.