The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lex DeVille's: Guru Cults Exposed: The Tactics "Experts" Use To Pull You In & Suck You Dry

momomaurice

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Apr 24, 2017
Ireland
It seems that you think I'm attacking you because this is your thread, I'm not. Brad S actually mentioned Tai Lopez and that's where I seen his name mentioned, nothing got to do with you.

What I mean is Tai Lopez is out there living his life that he wants (banging lambos and cash) not giving a shit what anyone thinks and here we are wasting our precious time talking about him.

I can't really say if his course is scam or not because some people became successful from it and some didn't. I gave my opinion that it sucked a$$, I never said I got scammed. I bought something that didn't work out. I bought plenty of books that lots of people recommend but I thought sucked a$$, does that mean I got scammed from them too? If I had a victim mindset I would say it was the best course ever. I blame myself for buying the course, I'm not one to go around blaming others and pointing fingers at guys like Tai because they sell below par courses in my opinion.

I was stating that some people out there have knowledge and information to transform lives, yet they won't do it because of all these 'gurus' out there and they don't want to be labelled another guru. If anything I want these guys who are scared to become another guru to go out there and be as big as they can and help as much people as they can and stop thinking small.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

eekern

BOBA
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 21, 2015
Norway
Thanks for a fantastic thread Lex !

I like behavior-based funnels best. Bastian Ernst of Wild Audience has a great system for building behavior-based funnels, and he was the most recent guru who sold me a product.

He is like the Thomas Edison of Telsa (Where André Chaperon is Telsa)

Bastian knows PPC / upsells, fake live webinars (everything that is known to "earn back ad spend") and packages the branding in a "big idea" of respect based marketing. Kodus for creativity but he still uses all the guru tactics you explain in the post.

But I like him as well and what André and now Bastian is preaching is the future, segment based on needs/interest and help people where they at, don't sell one "size fits all" when you know that 99% will not get results.

Last edited:

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
I put a couple of hours this morning into reading this thread - it's amazing, thanks @Lex DeVille !

The "music marketing" is full of this guru shit at the moment. I spent several years working with one 'guru', who could get good results in your guitar playing, but his business programs sucked and were expensive cult memberships.

Other gurus in the music space are Tier 4 doing exactly what you say, "Omg, what you need, you need a funnel". None of them have made a living from music. In fact... they publicly tell you that you won't make money using their methods, and you have to run at a loss for an indeterminate amount of time, until you grow your list to an undetermined size... and magically make money.

If you apply their methods well, you might even get to break even!

I see that (after having been fleeced for years) and think "They're selling a business model that operates at a loss. That sounds like a bad business model"... but people eat this right up.

Madness.

SharmCity

What’s the one thing I’m avoiding today?
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
573%
May 30, 2017
Maryland
I've spent way too much money on useless shit in my lifetime.

I'll get all excited about learning a new skill or business model, but when the time comes to actually put myself out there, my self-identity is incongruent and the imposter syndrome kicks in to self-sabotage (usually by just procrastinating until the project grinds to a halt).

Here's my problem with the cop out excuse of "I just give you the tools, it's on YOU if you succeed or fail"

... That's not how the product was originally marketed. The guru made it seem like this level of success was achievable from where I currently am... right here right now. They marketed a complete system to take me from zero to hero.

And if I was just some anomaly, fundamentally broken and unable to make anything work, then fine... But when the majority (i.e. nearly ALL) of the 'students' fail to make any money, then the guru can't just wash his hands and say 'well you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink'.

At some point, the SYSTEM failed.

This kind of pointing the blame on the 'victim' is a textbook MLM tactic. "YOU need to work harder", "YOU need to be more positive". It's total gaslighting and invalidating the student's experience of the system being fundamentally flawed.

Maybe someone will eventually come up with the mindset magic bullet that 'fixes' people and has a real transformative effect. But as of now they don't. If a student is successful after taking a program, they would've been succesful without a program. There is no real transformation taking place, and the guru cannot wash their hands of that since that is what was promised.

I've been burned on self-help for over 10 years now, so maybe I'm just bitter. I actually started going to actual therapy, with a real qualified professional, and for the first time I am actually making some headway on all my inner self-esteem issues that need to be handled before anything else.

Chris25

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
380%
Aug 29, 2018
Europe
As long as there's sheep, sure enough, there is going to be someone to give them nice buzzcuts.

Even if somebody offers valuable information, you still need your own experience to become better. And the information is already out there for free, or for the price of a few books. I think what most people lack is the kinetic execution part. They pay for expensive courses because they think that someone will spoon feed everything to them. When in reality, you need that first-hand xp : )

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Here's my problem with the cop out excuse of "I just give you the tools, it's on YOU if you succeed or fail"

I hear you and sympathise but I'm going to play devils advocate there. If the course is a good one (and I am not saying they are) and you don't take action how can you blame the course creator?

Now before I'm misunderstood I'm not siding with the guru market. I am sick to death of being stalked on YouTube by Sam bloody Ovens and somebody bloody Becker who want's to show me how to make a fortune on Amazon selling something like a kiddies sewing machine.

Now I'm being stalked by some stock market guru who say's he's the best in the world. If he is why does he need me? Physician take thy snake oil and heal thyself.

BUT if I went on, for example, an Adwords masterclass by someone of high repute and I didn't follow through then I know that would be my own fault. I couldn't blame the program creator if I take valuable information and do nothing with it can I? (thanks @Andy Black).

If a student is successful after taking a program, they would've been succesful without a program.

That surely depends on if they needed the information within the program to progress in what they wanted to achieve. Maybe they could have acquired the information from other sources but sometimes paying to get what is needed in one time saving chunk is worth the price of admission. It is also difficult in a new field when you don't know what you don't know. If there are major caveats in your new chosen business field and you are not aware of them until months down the road that could easily cost you dear.

When you are net savvy you can spot all these fake guru's who just want to part from from your money but there are a lot of good courses out there. If you have the mindset to follow through then they are of benefit. You just have to follow through which is pretty much all there is to being a successful entrepreneur. Learning, taking action, analysing, readjusting and taking action again, over and over.

-

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I've spent way too much money on useless sh*t in my lifetime.

I'll get all excited about learning a new skill or business model, but when the time comes to actually put myself out there, my self-identity is incongruent and the imposter syndrome kicks in to self-sabotage (usually by just procrastinating until the project grinds to a halt).

... That's not how the product was originally marketed. The guru made it seem like this level of success was achievable from where I currently am... right here right now. They marketed a complete system to take me from zero to hero.

And if I was just some anomaly, fundamentally broken and unable to make anything work, then fine... But when the majority (i.e. nearly ALL) of the 'students' fail to make any money, then the guru can't just wash his hands and say 'well you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink'.

This kind of pointing the blame on the 'victim' is a textbook MLM tactic. "YOU need to work harder", "YOU need to be more positive". It's total gaslighting and invalidating the student's experience of the system being fundamentally flawed.

Maybe someone will eventually come up with the mindset magic bullet that 'fixes' people and has a real transformative effect. But as of now they don't. If a student is successful after taking a program, they would've been succesful without a program. There is no real transformation taking place, and the guru cannot wash their hands of that since that is what was promised.

I've been burned on self-help for over 10 years now, so maybe I'm just bitter. I actually started going to actual therapy, with a real qualified professional, and for the first time I am actually making some headway on all my inner self-esteem issues that need to be handled before anything else.

I disagree. While gurus do sometimes use shady marketing practices, in the end they offer a product. It's the individual's responsibility to:

• Research the product before you buy
  • Be aware of your own habitual patterns of behavior
  • Notice when you're falling for something you've fallen for before
  • Apply what you learn to get some kind of results

No doctor, therapist, or guru can change your internal state. They can't force you to apply their products. Home Depot can't force you to unclog your toilet with their deluxe plunger - more plunge, less effort. If you want your shit to go bye bye you have to plunge your toilet.

Unless the gurus made definitive statements that you will make X amount of dollars, then it's not their responsibility if you don't.*

*In some cases, depending on the marketing methods, it might be their responsibility if you took them to court. This is the why they add disclaimers on their sites. Even then, to go to court would require you to take action. They won't bring themselves to court or hold themselves responsible for your lack of action or results.

Last edited:

Crisdamien

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jun 30, 2018
Miami, FL
I disagree. While gurus do sometimes use shady marketing practices, in the end they offer a product. It's the individual's responsibility to:

• Research the product before you buy
  • Be aware of your own habitual patterns of behavior
  • Notice when you're falling for something you've fallen for before
  • Apply what you learn to get some kind of results

No doctor, therapist, or guru can change your internal state. They can't force you to apply their products. Home Depot can't force you to unclog your toilet with their deluxe plunger - more plunge, less effort. If you want your sh*t to go bye bye you have to plunge your toilet.

Unless the gurus made definitive statements that you will make X amount of dollars, then it's not their responsibility if you don't.*

*In some cases, depending on the marketing methods, it might be their responsibility if you took them to court. This is the why they add disclaimers on their sites. Even then, to go to court would require you to take action. They won't bring themselves to court or hold themselves responsible for your lack of action or results.

I haven't been in this forum in a while but wow, this thread was powerful. Just earlier today, I was thinking about how I was sick and tired of these damn gurus who muddy the waters so much. Then i read through this whole thread, you can create a whole e-book or even more with your content. Hopefully some douchey bro marketer doesnt pawn your breakdown as their own.

But what I started doing is reading your breakdowns and basically look at ads and stop myself and incorporate what you were talking about... I feel like NEO from the Matrix, I see the code. Lol.

I am intrigued by people who sell with the written word, I think it's a fantastic skill that is rather difficult to hone and excel at. To me writing articulately for the correct audience and conveying a concise message is like fighting, everyone says they have the capacity to do so... but very few do.

Plus, I met some of these gooroos, especially in the Bro marketing space, I have to admit even when my spider senses are at full "RUN" mode, they still manage to overcome those objections. However, I do not reach for the CC. I have been fortunate enough to see these guys ecomm courses and they're not worth $20 its the same shit. Half the time they copied someone like Jon Mac but reworded some of the techniques... I have also been privy to certain conversation where they acknowledge the technique they are pitching is outdated and no longer work, or its harder than before to make good profit like years ago. Unscripted really woke me up to this because of the low barrier of entry.. (POD selling) Glad to know when I feel my BS meter ringing off the hook that I am now just a "hater" as some would say.

Appreciate you dropping so much knowledge.. I know I am very late to the party.

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
No doctor, therapist, or guru can change your internal state. They can't force you to apply their products. Home Depot can't force you to unclog your toilet with their deluxe plunger - more plunge, less effort. If you want your sh*t to go bye bye you have to plunge your toilet.

There is an invisible line that is hard to spot.

We are all adults, but these days, who behaves like one?

In theory you have freedom of choice, but with all the nonsense going on in the background, who is to say there really is any freedom - do you choose when to breath and when not to?

With mental conditioning applied, it's really difficult to unplug ourselves from the matrix.

Notwithstanding, this above is 'blame the outside' world mentality.

I feel bad so I will blame someone else e.g. guru that sold me this product, and it doesn't work. The government, because they are responsible for taking care of me, a helpless child....

'GURU', if someone intentionally is using his skills to rip people off, is there to for a reason. So you can learn from him something. Maybe you need to pay $2,997 to learn he scammed you and there are scammers, and the tactics he used to do this.

So in the end, the lessons you can learn are infinite, for $2,997 - his tactics, his skills, and there are a lot of skills to learn. Even a 'guru', to be efficient, must forge his tools to be successful...

Surf16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 6, 2019
California
Most guru funnels follow the copywriting AIDA model - Attention Interest Desire Action - with an end goal of getting you to take action in the shortest time possible. Improving your BS meter starts with awareness, knowing what to look for. Some of those things:

1) When you read a Facebook ad and actually agree with it (that should be a red flag lol!)
2) When a Facebook ad or Master Class or free whatever specifically targets a problem(s) you have.

Those two things are signs to beware of. At this point it's time to slow down and step back. Google the webinar host to see what the world says.

• Ask "who is this guy/girl"?
• What is their experience?
• What results have they generated through the specific thing they teach?
• What are they actually teaching?
• What results have others generated by applying those skills?
• Do I get any weird gut feelings about this person?
• Do they speak in specifics or do they speak in mostly vague language?
• How long have they been teaching this thing?
• How long did they use this thing before teaching it?

That 3rd from last one is also the secret to becoming POTUS if you didn't know. ;)

One other thing to pay attention to is how they apply credibility markers. Is what makes them sound like a great person to follow based on useless credibility markers?

A HUGE part of guru cult marketing is built on useless credibility. For instance:

Who is John Smith?

I built a 6-figure coaching business using these exact techniques - USELESS BIG NUMBER
(the system works for coaches, but what about your industry?)

I have over 10,000 instagram followers - USELESS BIG NUMBER
(so what...do you have over 10,000 sales?)

I've taught these methods to over 500 people - USELESS BIG NUMBER

(great, but did those people find it helpful?)

I trained with Tony Robbins - USELESS NAME DROPPING
(great, but will Tony Robbins be part of this in some way?)

A USEFUL version of that last one would be:
I worked with Tony Robbins to create this program.

Here's the credibility I usually look for:

I have a doctorates degree in [psychology, journalism] something relevant.
I used this system (preferably recently) to sell X amount of the thing you sell or something relevant.
I still use this system to sell X and not just [coaching, courses etc.]
Here's people you can meet and talk to before moving forward.
Here's places where you can learn more about me for free and directly experience my value.

This a great post!

Unfortunately, I have heard and fell for some of the tactics you mentioned.

I have read Fastlane and almost finished with Unscripted .

Opened my eyes and my train of thought!

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
Let's Talk Guru Funnels Stage 1 - The Ad
Common Guru Funnel Variations

V1.
Ad > Landing Page > Email Series > Webinar > Application > Call > Sale
V2. Ad > Landing Page > Webinar > Application > Call > Sale
V3. Ad > Landing Page > Webinar > Sales Page > Sale

There are versions that don't start with an ad, but you won't see those as often. The Tier 1 (marketing) Gurus, such as Russ Ruffino, teach their students to get to the sale as fast as possible. That starts with ads. More specifically, almost always Facebook ads.

The Facebook Ad sits in the Attention stage of the AIDA model.

It's placed directly in your line of site as you scroll. Sometimes it's short, like this Tony Robbins ad.

Screen-Shot-2018-02-23-at-2.59.26-AM.png

Or long like our Selena Soo ad from yesterday.

Gurus use whatever their guru says works. So you'll end up seeing a lot of variations since Tier 1 gurus trickle down their marketing results from the top. Whether the ad is short or long isn't important. What's important are the words you read as you're scrolling by.

If you're seeing guru ads on Facebook, it's because:

A) You fit the guru's target demographic for an ideal client
(you're a juicy antelope being stalked by Simba)

B) You visited a guru site, clicked a link, or liked a guru post etc.
(now you're a juicy antelope with a broken leg)

In either case you're being targeted and that puts you at a major disadvantage. It's the same thing that makes an assassin lethal. The victim isn't looking for a hitman. Meanwhile, there's a man on a building a mile away with sights on your head. He watches your behavior and gets to know you better than you know yourself. That way he can strike when you've dropped your guard.

When you fit a guru's ideal client profile, it's not hard for them to say what you want to read. All they have to do is find people just like you and get to know them well. They spend time getting to know their problems. They learn how those people describe the problem in their own words. Then they use those exact same words in all of their communications with you.

Let's revisit the Tony Robbins ad from above...

"Failing to plan means planning to fail" - This is an agreement statement. You won't disagree with this. Remember, you're being targeted. This is likely something you've said to yourself in your head. Maybe you even said it out loud or online to someone else. Since you agree, it probably grabs your attention which is enough to get you to continue the first line.

"Do you really have a business - or just a job you're calling a business" - Here is where the loop opens in your mind. This is another statement you say to yourself, especially if you're someone struggling in business. I see a similar question like this about freelancing all the time:

"Is freelancing really a business or is it just a job I'm calling a business?"

There's a good chance that's why Tony's ads target me. I'm a freelancer and I ask freelancer questions. So all Tony's ads have to do is say what I'm already thinking. Suddenly it's like he knows me and that hits home.

The thing is, I don't have an answer for the question. If I did, I wouldn't ask it. Since I don't have an answer, and since Tony posed the question, I automatically assume Tony might have the answer and therefore I keep reading.

That's why the very next sentence goes straight into a possible solution.

"Discover the essential strategies..." - This is a command that continues to hint at a solution, but doesn't close the loop. The loop can only be closed when you have the actual answer. Otherwise it remains open, plaguing your thoughts. But now you not only have the open loop of your own troubling question, but also the open loop of a possible solution that hasn't been revealed but easily could be...if only you sign up for that free webinar.

Isn't it crazy how all that psychology goes into a simple 5 line Facebook ad?

By the way, some ads use videos. Some don't. Tony's usually do. The videos are similar to the copywriting in what they say. They just say more of the key words and phrases you want to read. Then they hint at a solution inside. Make sense?

Now let's go deeper with a longer ad.

Selena-Soo-Story-Ad.png

It's back to the Selena Soo ad. This ad looks more like a Tier 2 or 3 guru ad. The first line opens with something her target audience is already thinking about.

"When I first started my business" - This isn't about her business. It's targeting YOU by letting YOU know that this is a story about the starting phase of a business which happens to be where YOU are if you're seeing this ad.

"I was afraid of coming across as" - 1 loop opens here. It happens REALLY FAST. It opens at the cliffhanger "as" and you don't think twice about dropping to the next line to find out what she was afraid of coming across as. You just read it.

"arrogant" - The loop closes here, but another one opens because now you have to know why she felt that way. This word specifically targets how her audience feels. It could've been any other word.

- "An a**hole"
- "A fake"
- "A fraud"
- "Intrusive"

Whatever word fits the audience. Whatever word the target uses to describe themselves. Those exact words and phrases identify the target's limiting beliefs. These are stuck points that we want to solve but don't know how. When someone mentions them, they get our attention.

Okay...

That's pretty f*cking deep...

But now I'll show you something that will blow your mind...

The rest of Selena's ad is a story.

Harmless.

Right?

No.

This isn't just any story.

This story applies a therapeutic metaphor technique
to bypass any reservations you currently have.

You may not know this, but people understand things through other things. If I just say you're being targeted by gurus, that doesn't describe the severity of the situation. But if I call a guru an assassin and you the victim, or them a lion and you the antelope...that paints a clearer picture in your mind. You understand the comparison.

So here's how guru stories work.

POWERFUL THERAPEUTIC METAPHORS

A metaphor uses a story in which a character (in this case the guru) represents the situation you're currently in. They describe that situation very clearly. It seems the story isn't about you, it's about the character (but it's really about you).

Once the story begins, you read how the character has all of the exact problems you have. This causes you to identify with the character. Now the two of you are one as you continue this journey. This also triggers the psychological rule of "liking" because the character is like you.

But unlike you, the character's story ends differently, and this is where the magic happens. Up until this point, you had a bunch of open loops lingering in your mind. All the questions you don't have answers for. All the problems that have you stuck. The character has all those same problems, yet their outcome was different.

Why?

It was a simple realization they had...

"If I wanted a business that would REALLY help people, I HAD to put myself out there."

That's how therapeutic metaphors work. But what effect does it have on you? Remember, you've identified with the protagonist of the story. You have the same situation. Since everything was the same except that ONE REALIZATION, you assume the solution to your problem must therefore be the same.

In this case...

YOU MUST PUT YOURSELF OUT THERE if you want your business to succeed.

Not only does this suggest what you must do, it also PRIMES you for what's to come. Because now, if at any point in this funnel you have doubts, you'll remember the story. You'll remember how the character had to put herself out there before she got results. Then you'll apply that same thought process to your present situation.

Should I click this ad? = That would be putting myself out there, right? Yes.
Should I enroll in this webinar? = That would be putting myself out there, right? Yes.
Should I book a call? = That would be putting myself out there, right? Yes.
Should I take out a $5k loan? = That would be putting myself out there, right? Yes.

Should I go all-in with this $30,000 retreat = That would be putting myself out there, right? Yes.

There's a reason they're called therapeutic metaphors. It's because they're used by actual medical practitioners in therapy to create change. Unfortunately, these same techniques are also used by marketers and gurus. The marketers often know what they're doing (though it doesn't make them well intentioned). Tier 2 and Tier 3 gurus usually don't have a clue.

Anyway, all of this leads you to click their ad and that's step 1.

In the next post we'll cover some different guru landing pages and see how they draw you into their funnels at the next level. If you have any questions about the stuff we talked about today, post 'em down below.

:)

P.S.

Selena Soo's S3 program is pretty good. It taught me how to pitch media outlets like blogs, podcasts, magazines, and even local and national news outlets. But most who read her ad won't be able to tell the difference between her training and bullshit training based on theory instead of real-world results. That's why it's so important to Google the guru, and ask due diligence questions before moving forward in their funnels. Selena's ad could've been any of 1000 other gurus who would charge just as much for something worth a lot less.

By the way, when I said I'd tell you the answer about Selena's ad in the next post...and you read all the way down here today...you directly experienced how open loops work. Now the loop is closed, but it kind of makes you wonder...how many loops were opened before you reached this point? How many loops are opened every day that you don't pay any attention to until it's too late?

;)

Later
Wow, just... wow!

Jonathan Hoch

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jan 17, 2019
It's my goal to sell you a course, @Lex DeVille ... I'll be watching, waiting, and when I find your weakness, BAM!!! ITS COURSE TIME!!!

TopDirective

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Nov 15, 2017
What a thread! I literally spent the last 2 days reading every single post... So much to learn, thank you very much for sharing your insights!

As a course creator I would fell for the Tier 4 category. But, I feel very strong about what I teach, ultimately it was 7 years in the field that gave me the confidence to run my first course (sold at about $59-97).

Now, preparing my second course, I almost feel ashamed for falling for these "techniques" myself and thinking they are "mandatory" to success.

@Lex DeVille Are you planning to post more practical stuff about how to create landing pages, structure them, or even how to create short pre-roll ads on YouTube / FB etc.? That would be massively appreciated!

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
Let's Talk Guru Funnels Stage 1 - The Ad
Common Guru Funnel Variations

V1.
Ad > Landing Page > Email Series > Webinar > Application > Call > Sale
V2. Ad > Landing Page > Webinar > Application > Call > Sale
V3. Ad > Landing Page > Webinar > Sales Page > Sale

There are versions that don't start with an ad, but you won't see those as often. The Tier 1 (marketing) Gurus, such as Russ Ruffino, teach their students to get to the sale as fast as possible. That starts with ads. More specifically, almost always Facebook ads.

The Facebook Ad sits in the Attention stage of the AIDA model.

It's placed directly in your line of site as you scroll. Sometimes it's short, like this Tony Robbins ad.

Or long like our Selena Soo ad from yesterday.

Gurus use whatever their guru says works. So you'll end up seeing a lot of variations since Tier 1 gurus trickle down their marketing results from the top. Whether the ad is short or long isn't important. What's important are the words you read as you're scrolling by.

If you're seeing guru ads on Facebook, it's because:

A) You fit the guru's target demographic for an ideal client
(you're a juicy antelope being stalked by Simba)

B) You visited a guru site, clicked a link, or liked a guru post etc.
(now you're a juicy antelope with a broken leg)

In either case you're being targeted and that puts you at a major disadvantage. It's the same thing that makes an assassin lethal. The victim isn't looking for a hitman. Meanwhile, there's a man on a building a mile away with sights on your head. He watches your behavior and gets to know you better than you know yourself. That way he can strike when you've dropped your guard.

When you fit a guru's ideal client profile, it's not hard for them to say what you want to read. All they have to do is find people just like you and get to know them well. They spend time getting to know their problems. They learn how those people describe the problem in their own words. Then they use those exact same words in all of their communications with you.

Let's revisit the Tony Robbins ad from above...

"Failing to plan means planning to fail" - This is an agreement statement. You won't disagree with this. Remember, you're being targeted. This is likely something you've said to yourself in your head. Maybe you even said it out loud or online to someone else. Since you agree, it probably grabs your attention which is enough to get you to continue the first line.

"Do you really have a business - or just a job you're calling a business" - Here is where the loop opens in your mind. This is another statement you say to yourself, especially if you're someone struggling in business. I see a similar question like this about freelancing all the time:

"Is freelancing really a business or is it just a job I'm calling a business?"

There's a good chance that's why Tony's ads target me. I'm a freelancer and I ask freelancer questions. So all Tony's ads have to do is say what I'm already thinking. Suddenly it's like he knows me and that hits home.

The thing is, I don't have an answer for the question. If I did, I wouldn't ask it. Since I don't have an answer, and since Tony posed the question, I automatically assume Tony might have the answer and therefore I keep reading.

That's why the very next sentence goes straight into a possible solution.

"Discover the essential strategies..." - This is a command that continues to hint at a solution, but doesn't close the loop. The loop can only be closed when you have the actual answer. Otherwise it remains open, plaguing your thoughts. But now you not only have the open loop of your own troubling question, but also the open loop of a possible solution that hasn't been revealed but easily could be...if only you sign up for that free webinar.

Isn't it crazy how all that psychology goes into a simple 5 line Facebook ad?

By the way, some ads use videos. Some don't. Tony's usually do. The videos are similar to the copywriting in what they say. They just say more of the key words and phrases you want to read. Then they hint at a solution inside. Make sense?

Now let's go deeper with a longer ad.

Selena-Soo-Story-Ad.png

It's back to the Selena Soo ad. This ad looks more like a Tier 2 or 3 guru ad. The first line opens with something her target audience is already thinking about.

"When I first started my business" - This isn't about her business. It's targeting YOU by letting YOU know that this is a story about the starting phase of a business which happens to be where YOU are if you're seeing this ad.

"I was afraid of coming across as" - 1 loop opens here. It happens REALLY FAST. It opens at the cliffhanger "as" and you don't think twice about dropping to the next line to find out what she was afraid of coming across as. You just read it.

"arrogant" - The loop closes here, but another one opens because now you have to know why she felt that way. This word specifically targets how her audience feels. It could've been any other word.

- "An a**hole"
- "A fake"
- "A fraud"
- "Intrusive"

Whatever word fits the audience. Whatever word the target uses to describe themselves. Those exact words and phrases identify the target's limiting beliefs. These are stuck points that we want to solve but don't know how. When someone mentions them, they get our attention.

Okay...

That's pretty F*cking deep...

But now I'll show you something that will blow your mind...

The rest of Selena's ad is a story.

Harmless.

Right?

No.

This isn't just any story.

This story applies a therapeutic metaphor technique to bypass any reservations you currently have.

You may not know this, but people understand things through other things. If I just say you're being targeted by gurus, that doesn't describe the severity of the situation. But if I call a guru an assassin and you the victim, or them a lion and you the antelope...that paints a clearer picture in your mind. You understand the comparison.

So here's how guru stories work.

POWERFUL THERAPEUTIC METAPHORS

A metaphor uses a story in which a character (in this case the guru) represents the situation you're currently in. They describe that situation very clearly. It seems the story isn't about you, it's about the character (but it's really about you).

Once the story begins, you read how the character has all of the exact problems you have. This causes you to identify with the character. Now the two of you are one as you continue this journey. This also triggers the psychological rule of "liking" because the character is like you.

But unlike you, the character's story ends differently, and this is where the magic happens. Up until this point, you had a bunch of open loops lingering in your mind. All the questions you don't have answers for. All the problems that have you stuck. The character has all those same problems, yet their outcome was different.

Why?

It was a simple realization they had...

"If I wanted a business that would REALLY help people, I HAD to put myself out there."

That's how therapeutic metaphors work. But what effect does it have on you? Remember, you've identified with the protagonist of the story. You have the same situation. Since everything was the same except that ONE REALIZATION, you assume the solution to your problem must therefore be the same.

In this case...

YOU MUST PUT YOURSELF OUT THERE if you want your business to succeed.

Not only does this suggest what you must do, it also PRIMES you for what's to come. Because now, if at any point in this funnel you have doubts, you'll remember the story. You'll remember how the character had to put herself out there before she got results. Then you'll apply that same thought process to your present situation.

Should I click this ad? = That would be putting myself out there, right? Yes.
Should I enroll in this webinar? = That would be putting myself out there, right? Yes.
Should I book a call? = That would be putting myself out there, right? Yes.
Should I take out a $5k loan? = That would be putting myself out there, right? Yes.

Should I go all-in with this $30,000 retreat = That would be putting myself out there, right? Yes.

There's a reason they're called therapeutic metaphors. It's because they're used by actual medical practitioners in therapy to create change. Unfortunately, these same techniques are also used by marketers and gurus. The marketers often know what they're doing (though it doesn't make them well intentioned). Tier 2 and Tier 3 gurus usually don't have a clue.

Anyway, all of this leads you to click their ad and that's step 1.

In the next post we'll cover some different guru landing pages and see how they draw you into their funnels at the next level. If you have any questions about the stuff we talked about today, post 'em down below.

:)

P.S.

Selena Soo's S3 program is pretty good.
It taught me how to pitch media outlets like blogs, podcasts, magazines, and even local and national news outlets. But most who read her ad won't be able to tell the difference between her training and bullshit training based on theory instead of real-world results. That's why it's so important to Google the guru, and ask due diligence questions before moving forward in their funnels. Selena's ad could've been any of 1000 other gurus who would charge just as much for something worth a lot less.

By the way, when I said I'd tell you the answer about Selena's ad in the next post...and you read all the way down here today...you directly experienced how open loops work. Now the loop is closed, but it kind of makes you wonder...how many loops were opened before you reached this point? How many loops are opened every day that you don't pay any attention to until it's too late?

;)

Later

This is pure GOLD! Thanks Lex for the Ad Breakdown with Psychology.
I appreciate you!

guy93777

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jun 5, 2019
gurus are just boring beginners at the game of conning people. only a small percentage of the population will be conned.

if you want to study the real game (it is worth billions of dollars), you should study the psychology of crowd control at the next level.

at least, 90 % of the population will be conned . ( us included )

quick pyramid as usual :

guy93777

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jun 5, 2019
the guru level can bee seen as the first level of military strategy

this is " for dummies " level . it is employed for marketing , business ..

it is considered a joke by the masterminds. child play

for example :

another stuff at this level :

advanced level :

it is employed for conning nations,

superior military strategy level . 99 % of the population don't have a clue what's going on

Datingafter35

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Feb 2, 2016
You're browsing Facebook when you see a post with a title like this:

The Biggest Mistake That Held Me Back From Hitting My First $1,000,000...
When I first started my business..........

View attachment 20263

It looks like a blog post. But you see a "read more" icon. So you click it and down pops a story.

Selena-Soo-Story-Ad.png

No harm in reading a story, you think. So you read the first line. But...

...you don't know this harmless sentence ends in a way that opens a loop in the mind that compels you to read more. Before you know it, you've read the third, fourth, and even twenty fifth lines.

By now you know you're reading an ad or maybe not. You may even wonder why you're still reading. But how could you not finish? That's like leaving a murder mystery before the killer is revealed.

When you start a story, you want to finish it.
(unless it sucks like new Star Wars)

When there's a question in your mind, you want to answer it.
(to close the loop)

So you keep reading...

Because the story is good. And it's good because it's about you.

Technically it's the author's story, but strangely, it parallels your own. The struggles, challenges, and failures...it's like you guys live the same lives.

The only part that deviates is where they made 7 figures and you have not.
(yet)

But if you're willing to sit through a Free Master Class, they'll reveal the 5 shifts that changed everything for them and when you get it, your life will change too.

This is how it begins...

Soon you've spent an hour alone watching a guru webinar designed to open your eyes to the error of your ways and show you how simple making millions can be.
(the real purpose is to make you feel good and give you hope)

If only you make those shifts
...you'll be rich...and if you want help, the guru (or their team) has set aside time to speak with you to see if you're a fit to work with them to change your life.

But you'd better do it fast because spaces are limited.

So you click a link, fill out an application, and book a call.

Fast forward 3 months and you've spent $10,000 on credit for 8 weeks of training designed to teach you how to do all the things we just talked about. Doesn't matter what you teach in your "business" as long as you follow their "process."
(Also you get access to a Facebook group usually.)

THIS IS HOW GURU CULTS OPERATE...

It's not all that different from a NOT guru cult, which makes it hard to tell the difference. The key difference is one teaches a marketing system as a successful business (but calls it something else). The other teaches processes that open the doors to building a successful business.

Sometimes the funnels they use operate almost exactly the same. The problem with guru cults is they tell you that you can do what you love and be successful while secretly selling you the very system they used to get you to buy from them (rather than selling you their personal processes about how to do what they love and how that made them millions...because it didn't).

It's kind of like an MLM...Juice Plus, Amway, Mary Kay...except people actually do make a lot of money sometimes. As long as you sell the same system you bought to some other poor sap, you'll make back your investment and then some pretty fast (after all it only takes 2 schmoozers at $5,000 each to pay off that $10,000 loan).

At the top levels this works well. The marketing gurus at the top have a lot of money to spend figuring out how to get people to spend money. It works well at the second level too, because the people buying from the top gurus have plenty of money to spend. They get their water from the well. It's when you get to the 3rd level and beyond that things start to go to shit.

At the 3rd level you've got marketing training mixed with "business" and "branding" and "spiritual awakenings." Now things start to get muddy. These people still sell the dream, but they don't have as much money to spend on training, or marketing, so they turn to their personal network and start there.

At first they make a few sales from friends or family (this is what the top-tier gurus suggest they do to gain traction fast). But soon they run out of people to sell to and they stop making money.

So they turn back to the marketing systems. They try Facebook ads but don't have much to spend, so it doesn't work very well. They try promoting themselves all over Facebook and social media but that doesn't work well either. Also, by this time it's been so long since they first started this path, that they forgot half the shit they learned in their training...

The only logical solution therefore is to return to their guru because they've "tried everything" but something still holds them back (you'll find that line in their customer emails). Lucky for them, the guru is hosting a 2 day seminar in the Himalayas and it's just $30,000 to attend................

the-khyber-himalayan-resort-spa-4.jpg

Anyone notice a pattern?

Anyway...

There are plenty of legit coaches, courses and trainings out there. There's also a F*ck ton of bullshit gurus and wannabes selling crackpot systems they don't understand to people they can't help.

In the posts that follow (and when I have time) I'm going to break down each part of the guru funnels, and the tactics and techniques they use to indoctrinate you into their cults and keep you there while practically stealing your cash.

Hopefully this thread will save some of you a lot of wasted time and cash, and help you make good judgments and buying decisions anytime you consider a training moving forward.

WHERE DID I GET THESE SECRET INSIGHTS?

I've worked directly with gurus at all levels. Built their funnels. Wrote their copy. Trained their students, and even launched courses and coaching programs of my own using some of their methods.

Also, I've bought courses from gurus, and through a rigorous process of due diligence have managed to only purchase useful shit up to this point. So hopefully some of those insights will help you.

Anyway, if you have any questions about gurus, or about a program you're considering taking, feel free to post them here. It's been a while since I spent time giving value to this forum, and this seems like a fair way to give back.

Even if you don't have questions right now, maybe you'll learn something from the posts that follow.

In the next post we'll look at some guru ads and break down different psychological tactics of influence and persuasion used to pull you in and suck you dry.

If that interests you, stay tuned...

P.S.

Look again at the ad above. Is it a BS guru, or does she sell a legit training program that might be useful for you? Consider it carefully. I'll tell you the answer in the next post.

@Andy Black @MJ DeMarco

Could you move this to the outside. Sorry about that. Thought I double checked and had it in the right forum.

Because it works. But what would be the right way? Frank Kerns approach?

Anit999

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Apr 10, 2018
Germany
How a prospect might describe a problem in a Facebook Group post:
"I've tried to get coaching clients for a year, but I feel like I'm stuck in mud spinning my wheels."

How the guru capitalizes on that information in their marketing materials:
"Are you struggling to get coaching clients? Have you tried to get clients for a year or more? Does it feel like you're stuck in mud spinning your wheels? If any of this sounds like you, then read this..."

You just blew my mind @Lex DeVille . Thanks for the info you are providing :)

Anit999

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Apr 10, 2018
Germany
ENTER THE CULT - THE NEARLY UNSTOPPABLE POWER OF WEBINARS

Tier 1 gurus teach most of their techniques to students. They'll show you how to use Authority and Future Pacing and Framing. But there's one thing they won't tell you. No Tier 1 guru ever mentions how they studied cult indoctrination. They also don't mention how those techniques are applied in their webinars (as well as every webinar their students create).

Lucky for you, I'm the guy who trained their students how to structure, write, and build their webinars for maximum impact. And fair warning...I've studied cult indoctrination.

So today's lesson is on webinars. I'll show you both sides of the technique patterns. From influence and persuasion, to NLP, and finally cult indoctrination. We may have to break this one into multiple parts.

5-Shifts.png

WEBINARS HAPPEN IN PHASES

Any Guru who's been trained doesn't just make a webinar. There's a structure and format they follow. It's been tried and tested over many years even before the internet. Digital marketing has simply optimized it. A couple things you need to know:

1) Most webinars are NOT designed to give you answers (they create questions).
2) Most webinars are NOT meant to give value (they're meant to sell to you).
3) Most webinars are structured to shift you from curious onlooker to card ready buyer.

Breaking down a full webinar slide by slide would take forever. So we'll look at the sections you'll find in most webinars instead. This will give you a high-level overview that you can carry forward if ever you find yourself in a webinar funnel. The phases of a webinar are:

Phase 0 - Pre Webinar
Phase 1 - Introduction, Targeting, & Promises
Phase 2 - Reframing, Future Pacing, & Authority
Phase 3 - The Magical Life-Altering Shifts
Phase 4 - Recap, The Choice, Close

PHASE 0 - PRE WEBINAR

Pre-webinar happens when you first enter the room. You open the screen and you either get a live person or not. Either way, the speaker begins establishing authority instantly before the webinar starts. They do this by saying, "Hi John, Hi Mark, Hi Cindy...we'll get started in a moment."

Usually you won't have access to the other participants. You might not have any way to know if this webinar is pre-recorded or live. But the speaker mentions people by name so everyone watching knows (believes) there are other people watching even if no one else is there (including the speaker lol!).

This technique helps put you at ease. You feel like you're not the only fool in the room. Plus, if others are watching, this person must be someone others thought was worth listening to. So maybe it's worth a few more minutes of your time, because who knows...this might be the webinar that changes everything for you.

This tactic is especially useful for unknown gurus, but even well-knowns use it.

One other thing that happens in this phase is the guru says something like:

"To get the most out of this webinar, be sure to silence your phone and close out other screens. Make sure you have time to watch in a quiet place away from other distractions. Give me your undivided attention so you can come away with profound insights."

Yes, they want your attention, but there's more to it than that. By closing out other distractions, you don't just give your attention. You give your focused attention to the ideas they want you to consume (mainly that following their words and their system will pave the way to riches). This is another Cialdini approved presuasion method.

PHASE 1 - TARGETING & PROMISES

When the webinar begins, the speaker either gives a very brief introduction, or skips it for now. Then they go straight into targeting so they can grab their ideal client's attention. This happens in one to two slides usually titled "Who This Is For."

Who This Is For:

This is for anyone who wants to make millions selling books about topics they aren't qualified to sell. Coaches, consultants, NLP practitioners, middle age dude with the beer gut watching from your couch in your underwear. If you use insights you don't have to create unique breakthroughs for other people, then this is for you...

If you fit the description, then they have your attention, even if only for a moment. After that the webinar continues straight into promises. First a series of slides with small promises and then a big promise at the end.

My Promise To You:

Today I'll show you how to turn your ability to use vague language and minimal research to build a 6-figure business selling kindle books even if that seems impossible right now. I'll show you how to become a best-selling author practically overnight without spending years learning the trade. I'll also show you how to put yourself on a path to your first $1,000 $2,000 or $10,000 months as quickly as possible.

My promise to you is to show you a step-by-step strategy to 6 figures per month.

The promises are always something they know their ideal target wants. They know this because they've researched it (as you've already seen). They've spent time figuring out exactly what this person wants to hear and conveniently, that's exactly what they say. :D

At this point your interest is peaked, but you're still skeptical and cautious. You know at some point they'll probably try to sell you something. Gurus know you know this. Which is why the next slide is this...

There Is Nothing For Sell
But if you stay to the end, you will get a free gift.

This isn't a lie. There's nothing for sell...on this webinar. But by the end they will pitch for your cash. This slide is to help you drop your guard for now. It also uses future pacing to incentivize you to stay to the end.

Before they can sell to you, they have to get you to be open to the idea of being sold to. That starts by changing your beliefs about what this webinar is. Once you believe there's nothing for sale you have no reason not to believe this webinar might actually offer real value.

PHASE 2 - REFRAME, FUTURE PACING, SUMMARY, AUTHORITY

Knowing there's nothing for sale, and there's a gift at the end, you become more interested. A key moment opens up, and now the webinar hits you in the gut with pain points. So the next couple of slides cover your pains as you describe them.

Does This Sound Like You?

Do you write long direct-response stories on popular forums about your expertise, but still people won't buy? Do you post direct response paid ads, and sometimes people buy, but you don't make millions? Do you have some months where cash pours in, but you can't maintain it? Are you struggling to bring in a consistent flow of clients no matter how hard you try?

DO YOU FEEL LIKE YOU'RE 100% ON THE RIGHT PATH BUT NOBODY CARES?

So they've brought you face to face with your pain. They've said all the things you say to yourself when you're laying in bed at night. They replace your "whys?" with their "do you?"

And then they blow your mind...

THE REAL PROBLEM?
You haven't made the "shifts" yet...

OH SNAP!

This simple reframe is a real eye-opener. It says everything you thought was the problem, isn't the real problem. Since you were wrong about the problem, it suddenly makes sense why your solutions didn't work. But now you have a question...what are the shifts??? dun dun dun...

Right after that slide you'll move into future pacing slides. They won't tell you what the shifts are just yet. Instead, they tell you what you'll get once you make those shifts. This allows you to imagine that future and how much better it will be.

There's another NLP technique used here too. It's called a presupposition. Presuppositions are assumptions about events that will occur. In this case it is presupposed that you will be making these shifts at some point. Sales gurus would call it assuming the sale.

ONCE YOU MAKE IT...

You'll be able to package your overnight insights into 2,000 word ebooks that break the payment system from so many buyers. You'll have as many clients as you want every single month on autopilot without you doing anything. You'll hit 6 or 7 or 12-figures whenever you're ready for it. Your bank account will skyrocket and you'll be able to afford a biosphere home on the moon. AND you'll do all of this while remembering the beautiful joy of what it means to be a true entrepreneur.

By now the webinar is about a 3rd of the way complete. At this point you might start to wonder if you're getting anywhere. Gurus know this.

So they move into the final part of Phase 2, authority. This is where they finally introduce themselves. They throw whatever credibility markers at you that they've got. The purpose is to prove that they are someone worth listening to, and that they can therefore help you out.

Who I Am:

I'm an NLP Master Practitioner with years of study. I've had 100,000 app downloads. I've played poker with @MJ DeMarco. I've talked to 100's of women all over the world. I've completely eliminated phobias in at least 5 people who wouldn't publicly disagree.

Credibility establishes authority. People listen to authorities. Credibility markers are things like big numbers, name dropping, places they've worked or been featured (Forbes, Entrepreneur) important titles, testimonials, downloads, likes, shares, etc.......

Tier 1 and Tier 2 gurus are more likely to use actually sales numbers to establish authority. Tier 3 and 4 use more vague concepts like app downloads, or number of likes and shares, so they don't have to straight up lie about sales achievements.

One other thing I've seen Tier 1 and 2 gurus add recently is some pictures of their family. They'll have a slide covering some awesome vacation they took. This helps you feel like they're a real person just like you who's just trying to give their family a good life. It also implies what the viewer will have once they make the shifts.

PHASE 3 - THE MAGICAL LIFE-ALTERING SHIFTS

And so...we finally reach the shifts.

The 5 (or 7 or 10 or 3) Shifts (or changes, or steps, or leaps) consume a major portion of the rest of the webinar. This is the supposed "meat and potatoes" you signed up for. Really this is just the part where they change how you think about the purchase you'll later make.

Each shift, like every other part of the webinar, follows a specific structure and contains specific information in a series of slides. With many of my past clients we used the following tactics in these slides:

1) Shock
2) Support
3) Stakes
4) Stuff
5) Story
6) Summary

Shock -
They say something shocking or unexpected to get attention.
Support - They back up what they say with some kind of evidence.
Stakes - They let you know what's at stake if you do this or if you don't do this.
Stuff - This is the tiny little part of the webinar where they might teach you something of value.
Story - They reinforce what they just taught you with a story or testimonial.
Summary - They summarize the whole thing.

The structure of the 5 shifts is done in a way that lowers your guard, and prepares you to take the correct actions later on in the funnel. For that reason, you'll find the shifts usually go something like this:

SHIFT 1 - ALWAYS TRY TO HELP PEOPLE
This isn't about you helping people. It's about you believing they help people.

SHIFT 2 - CHARGE A PREMIUM
This isn't about you charging a premium. It's about you beginning to understand and accept that they charge a premium.

SHIFT 3 - USE THE SECRET TOOL
The secret tool...is webinars, and you have to agree that it works because you're still watching it!

SHIFT 4 - LEVERAGE YOUR TIME

This shift describes separating your time from your pay. But it's really about them subtly overcoming your objection to spending X amount for something that doesn't take that much time for them to deliver.

SHIFT 5 - INVEST IN MENTORING
The final shift is ALWAYS to invest in mentoring. Mentoring gives you accountability and insights and blah blah blah. If you really want to hit 12-figures, you'll need a mentor.

As you can see, these shifts are NOT designed to HELP you. They're designed to SELL you. More specifically, they prep you to be open and accepting of the upcoming sales pitch.

PHASE 4 - RECAP, A CHOICE, THE CLOSE

When you get past the 5 shifts, you're feeling good. You feel confident. You feel excited. You've just discovered some crazy insights (or so you believe). Good luck implementing them without a mentor though...

You feel a sort of high at this point. Part has to do with the webinar information. Another part has to do with the speaker him or herself. Tier 1 & 2 gurus know how to change the speed, pitch, and tone of their voice to hype you up (even though they'll say they don't do that anymore because it wasn't an ethical way to sell).

FYI...they still do it.

So now there's a couple of slides that recap the entire 5 shifts to remind you of everything you just learned, and also to explain how the guru delivered what they promised (so you don't feel cheated). Then you get a slide that says you have a choice.

Now You Have A Choice:

You can keep reverse engineering funnel after funnel, going nowhere in life, making shit pay, and having no clients and no food on the table OR....

AND FINALLY...

The truth comes out. Once they remind you of how shitty life is right now, they drop this bomb on you...

Here's How I Can Help:

My team and I have set aside some time to talk with you about how you can apply these ideas in your business today! And the best part? It's totally FREE!

After that you're almost done. You've only got a couple more slides. The final slides get more specific with targeting. You'll usually have the following:

Who This Is For
Says things about you that you would agree are true.

Who This Is Not For
Describes the kind of person you don't want to think of yourself as.

Why We're Doing This
This slide is where they first mention selling to you. They say on the call they'll talk with you about your strategy (And they will, but they won't help you refine it. We'll cover that later) and if you both think you're a fit, they may invite you to become one of the new clients they accept this month (the words "this month" add a scarcity element).

If We Work Together
This is a future pacing slide that also lets you know there will be expectations of you if you get accepted (you will be expected to conform to their standards). Again they play on scarcity and ego too. The very fact you could be denied compels you to be among the first to get your free call.

Call To Action
The final slide of the webinar is a call to action. For Tier 3 & 4 gurus, this often goes to a sales page. Tier 1 and 2 gurus know it's better to send people straight to a booking page for a call (because $10,000+ sales happen on calls).

AND THAT'S THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLES BABY...

By the end of the webinar, you've gone from skeptic who's never heard of the speaker, to extremely interested, motivated, informed prospect who needs to take action RIGHT NOW before you miss your chance to get your FREE strategy session where you'll learn how you can start to apply the 5 shifts to your business (remember one of those includes getting mentoring!).

Whew...

That was quite a read.

A little bit later we'll talk more on some of the cult indoctrination that's taking place here. I'll probably just do an entire lesson that brings all of those pieces together after we finish the main funnel topics.

Up next...

The FREE Strategy Call

Stay tuned...

P.S.

Imagine you weren't a savvy Fastlane entrepreneur...you hate your job and your life. You don't know about process. You still search for events. Can you see how easy it would be to "fall" for a webinar after reading the post above? But it can happen just as easily to Fastlaners too, and that's why we're talking about it. Never think it can't happen to you. You'll be the first person it happens to.

Been in a situation like this. Can identify with that. Thanks for the info @Lex DeVille . Really mind opening

Anit999

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Apr 10, 2018
Germany
?

Ps: I got quite interested in the "people are not logical when buying" - where can I read more about it?

.You can read "Alchemy: The dark art and curious science of creating magic in brands, business and life" by rory sutherland

Datingafter35

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Feb 2, 2016
ENTER THE CULT - THE NEARLY UNSTOPPABLE POWER OF WEBINARS

Tier 1 gurus teach most of their techniques to students. They'll show you how to use Authority and Future Pacing and Framing. But there's one thing they won't tell you. No Tier 1 guru ever mentions how they studied cult indoctrination. They also don't mention how those techniques are applied in their webinars (as well as every webinar their students create).

Lucky for you, I'm the guy who trained their students how to structure, write, and build their webinars for maximum impact. And fair warning...I've studied cult indoctrination.

So today's lesson is on webinars. I'll show you both sides of the technique patterns. From influence and persuasion, to NLP, and finally cult indoctrination. We may have to break this one into multiple parts.

5-Shifts.png

WEBINARS HAPPEN IN PHASES

Any Guru who's been trained doesn't just make a webinar. There's a structure and format they follow. It's been tried and tested over many years even before the internet. Digital marketing has simply optimized it. A couple things you need to know:

1) Most webinars are NOT designed to give you answers (they create questions).
2) Most webinars are NOT meant to give value (they're meant to sell to you).
3) Most webinars are structured to shift you from curious onlooker to card ready buyer.

Breaking down a full webinar slide by slide would take forever. So we'll look at the sections you'll find in most webinars instead. This will give you a high-level overview that you can carry forward if ever you find yourself in a webinar funnel. The phases of a webinar are:

Phase 0 - Pre Webinar
Phase 1 - Introduction, Targeting, & Promises
Phase 2 - Reframing, Future Pacing, & Authority
Phase 3 - The Magical Life-Altering Shifts
Phase 4 - Recap, The Choice, Close

PHASE 0 - PRE WEBINAR

Pre-webinar happens when you first enter the room. You open the screen and you either get a live person or not. Either way, the speaker begins establishing authority instantly before the webinar starts. They do this by saying, "Hi John, Hi Mark, Hi Cindy...we'll get started in a moment."

Usually you won't have access to the other participants. You might not have any way to know if this webinar is pre-recorded or live. But the speaker mentions people by name so everyone watching knows (believes) there are other people watching even if no one else is there (including the speaker lol!).

This technique helps put you at ease. You feel like you're not the only fool in the room. Plus, if others are watching, this person must be someone others thought was worth listening to. So maybe it's worth a few more minutes of your time, because who knows...this might be the webinar that changes everything for you.

This tactic is especially useful for unknown gurus, but even well-knowns use it.

One other thing that happens in this phase is the guru says something like:

"To get the most out of this webinar, be sure to silence your phone and close out other screens. Make sure you have time to watch in a quiet place away from other distractions. Give me your undivided attention so you can come away with profound insights."

Yes, they want your attention, but there's more to it than that. By closing out other distractions, you don't just give your attention. You give your focused attention to the ideas they want you to consume (mainly that following their words and their system will pave the way to riches). This is another Cialdini approved presuasion method.

PHASE 1 - TARGETING & PROMISES

When the webinar begins, the speaker either gives a very brief introduction, or skips it for now. Then they go straight into targeting so they can grab their ideal client's attention. This happens in one to two slides usually titled "Who This Is For."

Who This Is For:

This is for anyone who wants to make millions selling books about topics they aren't qualified to sell. Coaches, consultants, NLP practitioners, middle age dude with the beer gut watching from your couch in your underwear. If you use insights you don't have to create unique breakthroughs for other people, then this is for you...

If you fit the description, then they have your attention, even if only for a moment. After that the webinar continues straight into promises. First a series of slides with small promises and then a big promise at the end.

My Promise To You:

Today I'll show you how to turn your ability to use vague language and minimal research to build a 6-figure business selling kindle books even if that seems impossible right now. I'll show you how to become a best-selling author practically overnight without spending years learning the trade. I'll also show you how to put yourself on a path to your first $1,000 $2,000 or $10,000 months as quickly as possible.

My promise to you is to show you a step-by-step strategy to 6 figures per month.

The promises are always something they know their ideal target wants. They know this because they've researched it (as you've already seen). They've spent time figuring out exactly what this person wants to hear and conveniently, that's exactly what they say. :D

At this point your interest is peaked, but you're still skeptical and cautious. You know at some point they'll probably try to sell you something. Gurus know you know this. Which is why the next slide is this...

There Is Nothing For Sell
But if you stay to the end, you will get a free gift.

This isn't a lie. There's nothing for sell...on this webinar. But by the end they will pitch for your cash. This slide is to help you drop your guard for now. It also uses future pacing to incentivize you to stay to the end.

Before they can sell to you, they have to get you to be open to the idea of being sold to. That starts by changing your beliefs about what this webinar is. Once you believe there's nothing for sale you have no reason not to believe this webinar might actually offer real value.

PHASE 2 - REFRAME, FUTURE PACING, SUMMARY, AUTHORITY

Knowing there's nothing for sale, and there's a gift at the end, you become more interested. A key moment opens up, and now the webinar hits you in the gut with pain points. So the next couple of slides cover your pains as you describe them.

Does This Sound Like You?

Do you write long direct-response stories on popular forums about your expertise, but still people won't buy? Do you post direct response paid ads, and sometimes people buy, but you don't make millions? Do you have some months where cash pours in, but you can't maintain it? Are you struggling to bring in a consistent flow of clients no matter how hard you try?

DO YOU FEEL LIKE YOU'RE 100% ON THE RIGHT PATH BUT NOBODY CARES?

So they've brought you face to face with your pain. They've said all the things you say to yourself when you're laying in bed at night. They replace your "whys?" with their "do you?"

And then they blow your mind...

THE REAL PROBLEM?
You haven't made the "shifts" yet...

OH SNAP!

This simple reframe is a real eye-opener. It says everything you thought was the problem, isn't the real problem. Since you were wrong about the problem, it suddenly makes sense why your solutions didn't work. But now you have a question...what are the shifts??? dun dun dun...

Right after that slide you'll move into future pacing slides. They won't tell you what the shifts are just yet. Instead, they tell you what you'll get once you make those shifts. This allows you to imagine that future and how much better it will be.

There's another NLP technique used here too. It's called a presupposition. Presuppositions are assumptions about events that will occur. In this case it is presupposed that you will be making these shifts at some point. Sales gurus would call it assuming the sale.

ONCE YOU MAKE IT...

You'll be able to package your overnight insights into 2,000 word ebooks that break the payment system from so many buyers. You'll have as many clients as you want every single month on autopilot without you doing anything. You'll hit 6 or 7 or 12-figures whenever you're ready for it. Your bank account will skyrocket and you'll be able to afford a biosphere home on the moon. AND you'll do all of this while remembering the beautiful joy of what it means to be a true entrepreneur.

By now the webinar is about a 3rd of the way complete. At this point you might start to wonder if you're getting anywhere. Gurus know this.

So they move into the final part of Phase 2, authority. This is where they finally introduce themselves. They throw whatever credibility markers at you that they've got. The purpose is to prove that they are someone worth listening to, and that they can therefore help you out.

Who I Am:

I'm an NLP Master Practitioner with years of study. I've had 100,000 app downloads. I've played poker with @MJ DeMarco. I've talked to 100's of women all over the world. I've completely eliminated phobias in at least 5 people who wouldn't publicly disagree.

Credibility establishes authority. People listen to authorities. Credibility markers are things like big numbers, name dropping, places they've worked or been featured (Forbes, Entrepreneur) important titles, testimonials, downloads, likes, shares, etc.......

Tier 1 and Tier 2 gurus are more likely to use actually sales numbers to establish authority. Tier 3 and 4 use more vague concepts like app downloads, or number of likes and shares, so they don't have to straight up lie about sales achievements.

One other thing I've seen Tier 1 and 2 gurus add recently is some pictures of their family. They'll have a slide covering some awesome vacation they took. This helps you feel like they're a real person just like you who's just trying to give their family a good life. It also implies what the viewer will have once they make the shifts.

PHASE 3 - THE MAGICAL LIFE-ALTERING SHIFTS

And so...we finally reach the shifts.

The 5 (or 7 or 10 or 3) Shifts (or changes, or steps, or leaps) consume a major portion of the rest of the webinar. This is the supposed "meat and potatoes" you signed up for. Really this is just the part where they change how you think about the purchase you'll later make.

Each shift, like every other part of the webinar, follows a specific structure and contains specific information in a series of slides. With many of my past clients we used the following tactics in these slides:

1) Shock
2) Support
3) Stakes
4) Stuff
5) Story
6) Summary

Shock -
They say something shocking or unexpected to get attention.
Support - They back up what they say with some kind of evidence.
Stakes - They let you know what's at stake if you do this or if you don't do this.
Stuff - This is the tiny little part of the webinar where they might teach you something of value.
Story - They reinforce what they just taught you with a story or testimonial.
Summary - They summarize the whole thing.

The structure of the 5 shifts is done in a way that lowers your guard, and prepares you to take the correct actions later on in the funnel. For that reason, you'll find the shifts usually go something like this:

SHIFT 1 - ALWAYS TRY TO HELP PEOPLE
This isn't about you helping people. It's about you believing they help people.

SHIFT 2 - CHARGE A PREMIUM
This isn't about you charging a premium. It's about you beginning to understand and accept that they charge a premium.

SHIFT 3 - USE THE SECRET TOOL
The secret tool...is webinars, and you have to agree that it works because you're still watching it!

SHIFT 4 - LEVERAGE YOUR TIME

This shift describes separating your time from your pay. But it's really about them subtly overcoming your objection to spending X amount for something that doesn't take that much time for them to deliver.

SHIFT 5 - INVEST IN MENTORING
The final shift is ALWAYS to invest in mentoring. Mentoring gives you accountability and insights and blah blah blah. If you really want to hit 12-figures, you'll need a mentor.

As you can see, these shifts are NOT designed to HELP you. They're designed to SELL you. More specifically, they prep you to be open and accepting of the upcoming sales pitch.

PHASE 4 - RECAP, A CHOICE, THE CLOSE

When you get past the 5 shifts, you're feeling good. You feel confident. You feel excited. You've just discovered some crazy insights (or so you believe). Good luck implementing them without a mentor though...

You feel a sort of high at this point. Part has to do with the webinar information. Another part has to do with the speaker him or herself. Tier 1 & 2 gurus know how to change the speed, pitch, and tone of their voice to hype you up (even though they'll say they don't do that anymore because it wasn't an ethical way to sell).

FYI...they still do it.

So now there's a couple of slides that recap the entire 5 shifts to remind you of everything you just learned, and also to explain how the guru delivered what they promised (so you don't feel cheated). Then you get a slide that says you have a choice.

Now You Have A Choice:

You can keep reverse engineering funnel after funnel, going nowhere in life, making shit pay, and having no clients and no food on the table OR....

AND FINALLY...

The truth comes out. Once they remind you of how shitty life is right now, they drop this bomb on you...

Here's How I Can Help:

My team and I have set aside some time to talk with you about how you can apply these ideas in your business today! And the best part? It's totally FREE!

After that you're almost done. You've only got a couple more slides. The final slides get more specific with targeting. You'll usually have the following:

Who This Is For
Says things about you that you would agree are true.

Who This Is Not For
Describes the kind of person you don't want to think of yourself as.

Why We're Doing This
This slide is where they first mention selling to you. They say on the call they'll talk with you about your strategy (And they will, but they won't help you refine it. We'll cover that later) and if you both think you're a fit, they may invite you to become one of the new clients they accept this month (the words "this month" add a scarcity element).

If We Work Together
This is a future pacing slide that also lets you know there will be expectations of you if you get accepted (you will be expected to conform to their standards). Again they play on scarcity and ego too. The very fact you could be denied compels you to be among the first to get your free call.

Call To Action
The final slide of the webinar is a call to action. For Tier 3 & 4 gurus, this often goes to a sales page. Tier 1 and 2 gurus know it's better to send people straight to a booking page for a call (because $10,000+ sales happen on calls).

AND THAT'S THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLES BABY...

By the end of the webinar, you've gone from skeptic who's never heard of the speaker, to extremely interested, motivated, informed prospect who needs to take action RIGHT NOW before you miss your chance to get your FREE strategy session where you'll learn how you can start to apply the 5 shifts to your business (remember one of those includes getting mentoring!).

Whew...

That was quite a read.

A little bit later we'll talk more on some of the cult indoctrination that's taking place here. I'll probably just do an entire lesson that brings all of those pieces together after we finish the main funnel topics.

Up next...

The FREE Strategy Call

Stay tuned...

P.S.

Imagine you weren't a savvy Fastlane entrepreneur...you hate your job and your life. You don't know about process. You still search for events. Can you see how easy it would be to "fall" for a webinar after reading the post above? But it can happen just as easily to Fastlaners too, and that's why we're talking about it. Never think it can't happen to you. You'll be the first person it happens to.

God. That is good.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Time for a bump.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I don't know how many are familiar with Kappasinian Hypnotherapy, but the approaches described in this thread have been taught to students of hypnotherapy dating back to the 1980's and beyond. Of course back then the approach was slightly modified as so:

Intake
Individual who cannot solve a problem seeks an alternative solution (hypnotherapy). In the case of a sales funnel this is the equivalent of clicking an ad and signing up for a webinar.

Context & Credibility
Individual shows up at hypnotherapist's office and is met with a professional setting filled with credentials, certificates, degrees etc. (establishing credibility and authority). In sales funnels this is the equivalent of entering a webinar and the guru sharing all their experience, degrees, and credentials before revealing their "secrets." And since you came to them (in both situations) they are already positioned as the authority.

Command
There is a comfy chair in the room, but the individual is directed by the hypnotherapist not to sit in that chair, but in an uncomfortable chair to the side of the hypnotherapist's desk. The hypnotherapist then directs the individual to crain their head sideways in a very uncomfortable position while he administers a series of "suggestibility" tests. The purpose of this craining and discomfort is to control and direct your attention in a very specific manner.

Next a series of suggestibility tests are performed which include things like closing your eyes while listening to the therapist's voice as he speaks suggestions to levitate your hand from the desk to your head. During the test, the hypnotherapist is deciding if you are highly suggestible or not. If not, then he's not going to go further with you after this session. It's a filtering process. Additionally, the hypnotherapist actually guides you into a state of hypnosis and uses presuasion and priming cues as well as NLP anchors to prepare you for future hypnosis.

In a webinar you are commanded to shut off smart phones and outside distractions and to pay close attention if you want to get the most out of the training. You are directed to close out any other browsers. Many of the best gurus aren't on camera because the idea is not to focus outwardly on their presence, but inwardly on your own thoughts and on the guru's voice and on the extraordinary outcomes they've achieved, that you are starting to believe you can achieve once you discover the secrets.

Questionnaire
At some point the individual is given an intake questionnaire to fill out. This is a handwritten letter (because internet didn't exist in the 70's and 80's). The hypnotherapist uses this letter to perform a handwriting analysis to attempt to discover insights into the individual's personality. They use the angles of letters, size of words, breadth of vocabulary and a variety of other techniques to identify hidden insecurities, thought processes, and other things they can use (much like a psychic) in their sessions. Furthermore, the questionnaire presupposes that the individual wants to go further, and also obtains a commitment by said individual in writing.

Gurus also use intake questionnaires, although they're usually filled out online. The handwriting analysis is skipped in favor of looking for the qualities of ideal customers. They want to know how much skepticism you hold. How combative are you? Are you an easy sell? What problems do you struggle with? What is your personality like? Are you even worth getting on a phone call with? At every stage it is presupposed that you want to join the program. "Once you join our program how will you ensure you stay motivated?" At the end you must type a written statement confirming your commitment and that you will answer the phone for your discovery call.

Everything Else...

After that it's pretty much the same process between the two paths. Hypnotherapists ask questions that dig into the pain points they've discovered. They have you explore those areas. They may or may not place you in a state of hypnosis first. Either way, you become emotionally involved and ultimately you buy. This happens on guru calls as well. Some people think they won't fall for it, but skeptics usually don't make it to the call anyway, because they're filtered out through the other processes. If you've made it to the call, and the guru knows what they are doing, then you will likely buy. If it appears you will not buy, you will be ushered rather quickly off the call.

Afterward, hypnotherapists use a variety of techniques such as embedded commands and suggestions during hypnotherapy sessions (this happens inside courses, or during coaching sessions for gurus) such as "and when you return for your next session we'll go deeper with your exploration." to keep you coming back for more. Notice the hidden suggestions, when you return, and go deeper. Often there will be a slight pause before the command in order to emphasize it as a command and to help it stick in the mind...

"And when you...return for your next session, we'll...go deeper with your exploration.

What's interesting is that many people leave hypnotherapy sessions feeling they have experienced incredible change. But when asked about what actually happened, they are unable to describe their experience or what was so incredible.

Hypnotherapists will say this is due to induced amnesia during hypnosis. But a big part of it is also that the hypnotherapist does NOT give you some profound takeaway. Hypnosis is largely a matter of guided imagery, focused attention, and talking you through your own internal world with vague language patterns. The hypnotherapist has no idea what you actually experience on the inside.

Gurus have a similar approach. Their students often proclaim profound insights or brilliant discoveries, yet there's a tendency to avoid specific statements of HOW they were helped or WHAT results they actually achieved. They just know that they've been "set down the right path" and "see all the things they were doing wrong before."

One final thing I found interesting is that in Kappasinian Hypnotherapy students are taught that Ericksonian (conversational metaphorical) hypnosis which does not involve formal trance induction methods most of the time, is inferior to their own method. What's funny about this is that the instructors (the Kappas family) taught/teaches this method through Ericksonian technique.

By the way, if you're interested in learning Kappasinian Hypnotherapy, it's still available today and you can have it for the moderately low price of just $15,750 which you can pay for with a student loan because it is offered through Hypnosis Motivation Institute which is a nationally accredited college in Hypnotherapy.

From their website..

Interested in a Private Practice in the Counseling Field?
Considering enrolling in a traditional Masters or Doctor degree program in Psychology? If you are, you may want to consider that many people are opting for a school that provides the opportunity to start a private practice counseling career without the 8 to 10 years it takes to become a Psychologist.

Start your Private Practice in 1 year instead of the 8 to 10 years it takes in a traditional Psychology program.
How you ask? Well, in just one year of in-person accredited hypnotherapy training and clinical internship you could begin a private practice under an exemption in California's psychology licensing law as a Certified Hypnotherapist.

To become a Psychologist, California law requires a Doctorate Degree in Psychology plus an additional 3,000 hours of supervised experience. This requirement equates to 8 years of full time education and then another 3 to 4 years of non-paid internship.

You don't have to spend $50,000 to $100,000 on tuition!
Tuition for most Universities has skyrocketed in recent years and can easily reach $50,000 to $100,000 for graduate level degrees. For most adults who do not already have a Degree in Psychology, going back to school full time, for that many years, is both physically and financially impossible.

Hypnotherapists are exempt from California Psychology Licensing Law.
The exemption provided to Hypnotherapists gives many mature adults an easier entry into the counseling arts at a professional level. The exemption is found in California's Business and Professions Code 2908. It states that Hypnotherapists are exempt from psychology licensing law to practice "vocational and avocational self-improvement counseling" as long as it does not constitute "therapy for emotional or mental disorders."

The American Psychiatric Association estimates that about 15% of the population suffers from "emotional or mental disorders." What about the other 85% who just want to overcome their fear of public speaking, or improve their sports performance? What if their goal is to motivate themselves to prepare for a big exam, or to be more successful in their career? Which counseling professional should they choose?

Today, more than ever, people are choosing a Certified Hypnotherapist over a traditional Psychologist.
"Helping others to increase motivation, build confidence, and reduce stress; there's just no end to the increasing demand for that service," states George Kappas, M.A., L.M.F.T., Director of the Hypnosis Motivation Institute (HMI) in Tarzana, California.

HMI, the country's FIRST Nationally Accredited School of Hypnotherapy, transforms caring adults into Certified Hypnotherapists. HMI's college offers evening classes and a clinical internship that allow students to continue to work full time in their "traditional" jobs, while starting a private practice helping others.

HMI's internship program provides students the opportunity to earn while they learn and begin their private practices in a supervised setting at the HMI clinical facilities. HMI's Residency Program also offers additional certification programs in NLP and Therapeutic Imagery as well as a wide variety of continuing education courses for HMI Graduates.

Eligible students can start their Hypnotherapy Training risk free with no money down and no payments for 18 months!
HMI's college even provides students the opportunity to start their training for no risk, just to be sure that hypnotherapy training is in fact, right for them. If they find it is right for them, eligible students can start their training for no money down and no payments for 18 months. That gives them 6 months of internship and 6 months after graduation before they make their first tuition payment.

With some HMI graduates charging $75.00 to $100.00 per hour for their services, you can see how this educational investment has the potential to pay for itself many times over.

So, still thinking about that 8 to 10 years of traditional psychology school? Modern times require modern strategies. Maybe you should consider a private practice in Hypnotherapy and HMI's offer to start your training with our risk free enrollment offer.

Because who needs formal education when you can skip straight to curing people...

Last edited:

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
I've spent way too much money on useless shit in my lifetime.

I agree with your thesis. You make an interesting point about your self-identity being incongruent with whatever it is you're attempting. Mind elaborating?

RadicalShift

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jul 26, 2019
I don't know how many are familiar with Kappasinian Hypnotherapy, but the approaches described in this thread have been taught to students of hypnotherapy dating back to the 1980's and beyond. Of course back then the approach was slightly modified as so:

Intake
Individual who cannot solve a problem seeks an alternative solution (hypnotherapy). In the case of a sales funnel this is the equivalent of clicking an ad and signing up for a webinar.

Context & Credibility
Individual shows up at hypnotherapist's office and is met with a professional setting filled with credentials, certificates, degrees etc. (establishing credibility and authority). In sales funnels this is the equivalent of entering a webinar and the guru sharing all their experience, degrees, and credentials before revealing their "secrets." And since you came to them (in both situations) they are already positioned as the authority.

Command
There is a comfy chair in the room, but the individual is directed by the hypnotherapist not to sit in that chair, but in an uncomfortable chair to the side of the hypnotherapist's desk. The hypnotherapist then directs the individual to crain their head sideways in a very uncomfortable position while he administers a series of "suggestibility" tests. The purpose of this craining and discomfort is to control and direct your attention in a very specific manner.

Next a series of suggestibility tests are performed which include things like closing your eyes while listening to the therapist's voice as he speaks suggestions to levitate your hand from the desk to your head. During the test, the hypnotherapist is deciding if you are highly suggestible or not. If not, then he's not going to go further with you after this session. It's a filtering process. Additionally, the hypnotherapist actually guides you into a state of hypnosis and uses presuasion and priming cues as well as NLP anchors to prepare you for future hypnosis.

In a webinar you are commanded to shut off smart phones and outside distractions and to pay close attention if you want to get the most out of the training. You are directed to close out any other browsers. Many of the best gurus aren't on camera because the idea is not to focus outwardly on their presence, but inwardly on your own thoughts and on the guru's voice and on the extraordinary outcomes they've achieved, that you are starting to believe you can achieve once you discover the secrets.

Questionnaire
At some point the individual is given an intake questionnaire to fill out. This is a handwritten letter (because internet didn't exist in the 70's and 80's). The hypnotherapist uses this letter to perform a handwriting analysis to attempt to discover insights into the individual's personality. They use the angles of letters, size of words, breadth of vocabulary and a variety of other techniques to identify hidden insecurities, thought processes, and other things they can use (much like a psychic) in their sessions. Furthermore, the questionnaire presupposes that the individual wants to go further, and also obtains a commitment by said individual in writing.

Gurus also use intake questionnaires, although they're usually filled out online. The handwriting analysis is skipped in favor of looking for the qualities of ideal customers. They want to know how much skepticism you hold. How combative are you? Are you an easy sell? What problems do you struggle with? What is your personality like? Are you even worth getting on a phone call with? At every stage it is presupposed that you want to join the program. "Once you join our program how will you ensure you stay motivated?" At the end you must type a written statement confirming your commitment and that you will answer the phone for your discovery call.

Everything Else...

After that it's pretty much the same process between the two paths. Hypnotherapists ask questions that dig into the pain points they've discovered. They have you explore those areas. They may or may not place you in a state of hypnosis first. Either way, you become emotionally involved and ultimately you buy. This happens on guru calls as well. Some people think they won't fall for it, but skeptics usually don't make it to the call anyway, because they're filtered out through the other processes. If you've made it to the call, and the guru knows what they are doing, then you will likely buy. If it appears you will not buy, you will be ushered rather quickly off the call.

Afterward, hypnotherapists use a variety of techniques such as embedded commands and suggestions during hypnotherapy sessions (this happens inside courses, or during coaching sessions for gurus) such as "and when you return for your next session we'll go deeper with your exploration." to keep you coming back for more. Notice the hidden suggestions, when you return, and go deeper. Often there will be a slight pause before the command in order to emphasize it as a command and to help it stick in the mind...

"And when you...return for your next session, we'll...go deeper with your exploration.

What's interesting is that many people leave hypnotherapy sessions feeling they have experienced incredible change. But when asked about what actually happened, they are unable to describe their experience or what was so incredible.

Hypnotherapists will say this is due to induced amnesia during hypnosis. But a big part of it is also that the hypnotherapist does NOT give you some profound takeaway. Hypnosis is largely a matter of guided imagery, focused attention, and talking you through your own internal world with vague language patterns. The hypnotherapist has no idea what you actually experience on the inside.

Gurus have a similar approach. Their students often proclaim profound insights or brilliant discoveries, yet there's a tendency to avoid specific statements of HOW they were helped or WHAT results they actually achieved. They just know that they've been "set down the right path" and "see all the things they were doing wrong before."

One final thing I found interesting is that in Kappasinian Hypnotherapy students are taught that Ericksonian (conversational metaphorical) hypnosis which does not involve formal trance induction methods most of the time, is inferior to their own method. What's funny about this is that the instructors (the Kappas family) taught/teaches this method through Ericksonian technique.

By the way, if you're interested in learning Kappasinian Hypnotherapy, it's still available today and you can have it for the moderately low price of just $15,750 which you can pay for with a student loan because it is offered through Hypnosis Motivation Institute which is a nationally accredited college in Hypnotherapy.

From their website..

Because who needs formal education when you can skip straight to curing people...

Glad @MJ DeMarco bumped this one! Great stuff here and spot on!

As someone doing this every day, ALL of it, I really appreciate you sharing these (very) valuable insights with the forum @Lex DeVille.

Unfortunately, both pretender AND contender use the exact same funnels. I've been at this for quite a few years now and the things I've seen...

I'm just glad our stuff is "best in class" in our industry. No really :)

That's the great thing about Social. Yes, many BS guru's will continue to con people...but...bad news travels fast.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.