The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Launched my fitness infoproduct, first week sales = $7150

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

piesandak47

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Mar 7, 2014
Last week I finally launched my first product ever.

It's a fitness infoproduct.

The cost is $47, currently no upsells or anything like that. Strictly a front end product.

I launched primarily to my email list and did $7150 in sales my first week.

Here's an outline of it:

What is my product's name?

At the moment I'm not sure if I want to share my product publicly here. While I know most people won't do shit, I don't want someone to completely rip me off.

What is my niche?

My product is geared towards guys who want to lose weight, primarily younger guys in the 18-40 range.

My launch sequence

I launched my product on mon (jan 12th) and the "launch" ended saturday (jan 17th at 6pm PST).

As an incentive to buy during launch week I gave away a free bonus rapid fat loss guide to help guys lose weight faster.

But before launching on monday, I did a small "prelaunch" on the previous thurs and fri.

On thursday, I sent out an email that gave away a ton of awesome content. I didn't pitch or link out to anything. I simply gave away content for free which was based around the hook of my product.

On Fri, I sent out another email which gave away even more awesome content and I still didn't pitch anything. At the end of the email I simply told my list that I would be realeasing a system on monday morning that gives them a step by step blueprint to build the body of their dreams.

Both of these emails were about 1200 words each.

Launch week emails:

Monday = "PRODUCT IS NOW LIVE" email (goes into detail of the product)
Tuesday = content email based around specific benefit of product
Wed = No email
Thurs = content email based around successful case study
Fri = content email based around limited time bonus benefits (mention 24 hour deadline to get bonus)
Sat (am) = "REMINDER 12 hours left" email
Sat (pm) = "Reminder 3 HOURS LEFT" email

Sales were highest on Monday and Friday.

Looking back, I probably shouldn't have ended on Saturday night but oh well.

How I built my list

The majority of my list was built via my blog. My blog has a decent following already so a lot of people bought because they've been following me for a while.

I also get a lot of SEO traffic and have been building my list very rapidly recently after implementing custom lead magnets to specific posts via leadpages. This now grows my list by about 80-100 per day and I don't need to do anything.

Plans going forward:

Currently I'm getting a lot of traffic and leads via SEO and as much as I love SEO for all the "free" traffic it provides, I still gotta say - F*ck SEO.

There's nothing worse than having your entire business and future rest in the hands of Google. In the time it took me to type this, all my rankings could have disappeared already and I can't really do shit about it.

Here's what I need to do:

- Build my backend. I probably missed out on a lot of sales by not having a backend at launch but I just wanted to get my shit out there as fast as possible. I'm working on 2 upsells and downsells right now.
- Use paid traffic to scale to the moon.Like I said, SEO is terribly unreliable. All the big boys use paid traffic to scale to 8+ figures. I know this is how you truly scale big and fast.
- Build my autoresponder funnel.
- Get retargeting down. I couldn't figure out retargeting for my launch. I used perfect audience but my site wasn't approved since I'm using a traditional long form sales page. Anyone have any tips on this?
- Recruit affilaites. I already have some people agree to mail out for me but I know I need more.

Conclusion

I know $7150 isn't a ton of money but for my first launch and product, I'm pretty happy with it.

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to help.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

piesandak47

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Mar 7, 2014
So update #4 :)

My product is up from $200/day to about $250/day due to some tweaks i made to my sales page and upsell offers.

While that may seem great and it is (technically I'm at over $90k per year now which is the most money I've ever made in my life), this past month has been really stressful and crazy.

I'm making some big decisions and changes to my product that's going to change everything but I truly believe it's for the better.

Here's what happened since my last update:

- I created a VSL for my product to test against my long form sales letter. It totally bombed. 0.39% conversion rate vs. 1.22% of my long form. I worked on my VSL script with the consultant I hired and we did a "ugly VSL," the one where it's just black text on a blank powerpoint screen. I spent almost 3 weeks on this and the reason it may have bombed was 1 of 2 things IMO: the audio quality or the copy itself. For now I'm back at my long form sales page since that converts better. In my gut, I'm really not a fan of simple powerpoint VSLs. I much prefer VSLs where it shows you know...actual video.

- My tripwire offer didn't turn out as well as i had planned. For those who don't know, a tripwire is a cheaper offer you present someone before you present them with your core offer. For my tripwire, it was a "6 pack abs" blueprint. It just converted like shit with cold traffic. Why? Because it didn't provide enough value...it was a simple 15 page PDF report and in my gut I knew it wasn't worth what I was charging for it.

- After my VSL and tripwire bombed and about another $400 ad spend down the drain, I took a step back and just looked at my entire product and funnel from a birds eye view.

- I looked at each aspect of my funnel and when I looked at my core product...it hit me HARD. I realized my core product wasn't good. Okay let me rephrase, it was good enough that people bought it and people are getting some good results with it. But I wasn't happy with it. My product was just another fitness infoproduct being sold on clickbank or whatever. The angle or big idea behind my product wasn't good enough.

- If you go and look at ANY fitness infoproduct, you'll see that there are very very few are sold by genuine guys. Most are sold by "online marketers" that try to find the most obscure and ridiculous angles it differentiate their products (e.g. "Scientists at Harvard discover a weight loss secret from the 1700s that increase your metabolism by 59.67% in 14 days flat"). Shit and headlines like that are ridiculous and while they may work since it's a BIG IDEA (if you read Ready, Fire, Aim you know what I'm talking about) but I don't know how these marketers sleep at night with their BS headlines. I refuse to go down that route.

- When I create a product for the entire world, I want it to be F*cking amazing. Just last week when someone asked me what I do and I said I sell fitness products online...I just didn't feel good saying it because deep down I knew my product wasn't as good as it could be.

- I had 1 week where I did absolutely nothing. I was so pissed and stressed from figuring out my next move. All I did was watch tv, go to the gym, and look at pictures of R8s. Shit was depressing. I could continue to tweak and scale my current funnel, but what's the point when I'm not even truly happy with what I'm selling.

- That's when it hit me and I finally had a crystal clear vision of what my new and upgraded product would be.

- I essentially took a look at the entire fitness infoproduct market which really hasn't changed much in the last 10 years and asked myself what could be truly done to innovate this market.

- I'm in the process of completely overhauling my infoproduct from a simple PDF infoproduct to a full fledged course where the unique selling proposition is actually a piece of software (a web app) I'm having developed right now. It's a still a fitness course that teaches you how to build muscle, lose fat, and all that but with a very unique twist that involves the software I'm having made. I've literally never seen this done with any of the infoproducts on clickbank so I'm super excited. The software itself isn't ground breaking by any means, but it has never been done in my niche. Is it possible that it could completely bomb? Yes, but it could also completely change the game for fitness infoproducts so that's a risk I'm willing to take :) And yes I surveyed my customers and even talked to some of them on skype, and all of them thought the software angle was brilliant.

- Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with selling infoproducts and selling PDFs or whatever. I just feel like I have such a massive opportunity with the software I'm developing so I'm taking that chance.

- No I won't reveal what my new product it is. While i know most won't do crap with an idea i still don't need or want the competition at this time.

- I still plan on doing $10k by June. Actually I plan on doing between $20-50k in June since that's when I plan on relaunching my product. My first launch did $7k but I learned a lot from that and my launch sequence this time will be 100x better plus I actually plan on recruiting affiliates this time.

So yeah... that's my update.

#1 Lesson - if you're selling a product, sell something that's F*cking amazing and you're damn proud of. Don't settle for anything less. It makes everything else so much easier.

Let me know if you have questions :) Glad to help anyone if they need it.

Lots to do.

Time to get back to the grind :)

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
There is a shortcut. Its called buying traffic profitably.

This.

Nice well done!

Remember, in paid traffic, the rule is traffic is unlimited. The key is how much can YOU pay for it?

Just your funnel Customer Lifetime Value up, then you can afford to pay a shit ton more for traffic.
You can even start buying traffic that is more broad and general and start converting on that.
Meaning, you could run something like PPV traffic, which is alot less targeted, BUT since your CLV is so much higher, you can afford to spend more to get 1 new lead in.

This is how you scale shit to the moon and back.

E.g. Guy who makes $20 profit per customer lifecycle, can only pay $20 to buy traffic without going into a loss.
Bring that to $100 profit, now that guy can spend $100 to get that customer into his funnel.

At $20, say with a $1 Cost Per Click, he had to convert every 20 clicks to break even.
If he can spend $100, at $1 Cost Per Click, he can get upto 100 clicks to break even. The Conversion Rate doesn't need to be as high.

Matter of fact, he can hop onto some sources that the Conversion Rate would be abysmal, that most competitors can't even advertise on, but he will be profitable, and Dominate ;)

PM me if you need any help, I think I can help you get some quality traffic for this

piesandak47

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Mar 7, 2014
Do you think you could have built your list and product faster than 3 years?
What mistakes did you make that made the process longer?

HELL YES I could have done it faster than 3 years.

3 years is a long time lol.

I started my fitness blog in 2011 and for 2 years I simply monetized it with affilate clickbank offers. I focused the majority of my efforts on SEO and never even touched paid traffic which was a huge mistake.

Not to say SEO is bad, I'd like to consider myself pretty well-versed on SEO now but if you really want to grow a business FAST, buying your traffic and customers is the way to go.

If i could start all over again I might not even start a blog. I would go straight into product creation and maybe start a blog later on.

My other big mistake is what a lot of other people suffer from - shiny object syndrome.

While I ran my blog for 3 years, I tried to do a lot of stuff in between before really buckling down the last 6 months to build my own product. Stuff like running affiliates offers on POF, building a SAAS product, offline consulting, importing and selling on amazon/ebay, and a failed partnership that cost me 3 months time and $2500 down the drain.

But now I am 100% laser focused on my own product and scaling it like a motherf*cker.

I always like to compare business to working out/dieting. A person who follows and never gives up on even the world's shittiest workout and diet plan is going to see better results than a person who changes programs every week.

piesandak47

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Mar 7, 2014
NEXT UPDATE

I'm launching my next product (the 2.0 version) on monday (Oct 5th).

It's going to follow a similar structure as my last product in Jan, with a few small and big changes:

- Going to be heavily implementing custom audience retargeting on FB, i expect this to really boost sales.
- Will use same email launch sequence (2 emails pre launch (one on thurs, one of friday, then next Monday-Saturday will be the announcement email + content/product benefit emails + the final "reminder" emails on Saturday)
- For this launch I'll have my core product (plus 2 more products for sale on the backend). These will be offered as a OTO discount. Last launch I only had my core product for $47.
- I will be offering a time limited launch discount, whereas last time I just gave a special bonus ebook for launch week. I also expect the special discount to help me sell dramatically more copies.
- My list this time is 2.5x bigger than it was in Jan..... this combined with FB retargeting should blow things up.
- Also plan on running an exclusive launch fitness transformation contest where I'm giving away $2k cash to help motivate guys and get more testimonials.
- Overall I expect this launch to do a minimum of $25k. On the high end, maybe $40k

After launch I will reinvest 99% back into the biz and scale this f*cker to the moon. I know I said I would back in Feb but yeah I screwed up with too much other BS. No more excuses. Time to take over :)

Last edited:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
There's no shortcuts man.
You're wrong. There is a shortcut. Its called buying traffic profitably. You need to have the balls to continue until you get it right though.

piesandak47

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Mar 7, 2014
Update #5 - i have 15 min to spare as i wait for a friend so i'm just going to brain dump here. Not checking my grammer.

Ok here's what happened:

- Sales stayed the same since last update. Still at $250 per day which is good and bad. Good since I'm making $250/day on autopilot. Bad since shit ain't moving up (totally my fault, of course).

- Got sidetracked with a new product/app that I wanted to launch and put all my focus into that which wasted a good 6 weeks. The project is on hold for now because after specing out the software, it's features, and the UI...it's going to cost at least $60k for design+development which I really don't want to risk right now. Believe me, I'm going to launch it one day, hopefully by this time next year but right now it's not a priority. Like some others on the forum pointed out, I should have focused on scaling my current product and stuff before trying something so untested.

- If you haven’t already, I highly recommend reading “unlabel” by marc ecko, great book.

- I procrastinated a lot. I promised myself in 2015 I would be different and I’m def better but I still procrastinate on even the simplest tasks which pisses me off.

- I’m really focused now on just being authentic with my product, website and brand. Sometimes I feel like I hold myself back a bit with my writing and whatnot b/c I feel it will hurt other’s feelings. But F*ck that, I’m going all in.

- Launching a podcast later in the next few months

- As for scaling my product, I’m still doing that. Doing more native ads on FB and being VERY careful to not get banned. Still learning more about retargeting so I really want to nail that down.

- Focusing on social media more (instagram, snapchat, periscope).

- Relaunching my fitness coaching in next 1-2 weeks which should do 15-20k at launch if my estimates are correct.

- Launching another infoproduct later this year for women.

And for those that are interested in creating their own fitness infoproduct and those who messaged me, here's my advice:

- Ask yourself? Why the F*ck would anyone listen to you? Why are you different?

- Be authentic.

- Don’t be boring. The world doesn’t need another “10 ways or get a six pack” or “The Ultimate Guide to building muscle” article. It just doesn’t.

- Don’t write like a copywriter. This shit is getting so old. People are smarter now. I know the world of health and internet marketing/copywriting are very intertwined but this stuff pisses me off so much. Maybe it worked 10 years ago but guys are now more educated than ever when it comes to fitness BS. Headlines like “1 Weird Exercise to boost your metabolism by 55.78%” just make me throw up in my mouth. If you do this – f*ck you.

- Don’t make false claims. Health/fitness is thankfully the one industry that’s heavily backed by science and actual reserach. This means you can’t make shit up, unlike the IM or dating niche which is much more heavily opinion/experience based and you can really say anything you want as long as you have “proof.”

- Don’t burn your customers and butt rape them even more offers after you’ve sold them your first front end product. I know guys who do this…they sell a $7-47 product, and the customer gets put through an endless autoresponder or broadcast of emails that do nothing but pitch product after product. Yes I know existing customers are more likely to buy but don’t be a dick about it. Provide even more value to existing customers before selling them more stuff.

- A lot of guys are getting into amazon’s FBA stuff and selling supplements. I find 99% of these guys are just chasing tactics and money. I get it, you hear the stories of guys doing 7-8 figs on amazon and you want to get in ont the action, but are you really building a business with this? Are you building a brand? If you’re using it to just get some cashflow, fine. But pretty everyone I know doing FBA is just doing it to make a quick buck. Guys are selling shitty stock supplements which they have zero passion for, using fake pen names when emailing customers, getting fake reviews, and are just 100% focused on gaming the current Amazing algorithm. It’s like SEO 10 years ago and it’s shady as shit.

- If you still want to be relevant in 5 years, you need to focus on building an authentic brand. Don’t just build a product and try to use internet marketing tactics and “hacks” to grow it and make money. Look at the biggest names in fitness and strive to be like them. They all have powerful, nearly bulletproof brands that people love and no amount of social media changes, SEO hacks, or paid traffic strategies are going to knock them down.

Thanks to everyone who actually reads this - means a lot :)

piesandak47

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Mar 7, 2014
Also another note - build your f*cking backend funnel.

I know so many guys who just have one product for sale at say $47 for example and that's all they f*cking have.

It's insane.

You can put out the world's shittiest backend product if you offer it after your core offer, and a tiny percentage of people will still buy it. Put out a decent offer and 30% percent people will but.

I put out a simple 17 page PDF bonus guide + a video program on my backend and sell it for $27. It's converting at 45% right now and the sales page isn't great. Once I optimize it a bit I'm sure I can get it up to 60+%.

And don't stop there.

Build out an entire backend autoresponder funnel. A lot of guys have the whole lead magnet ====> autoresponder sequence but very few have a backend autoresponder.

The sales are 10x easier to make with a backend autoresponder since EVERYONE on this list is an existing cusotomer.

piesandak47

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Mar 7, 2014
Interested if there are any updates;

How's your product selling now?
Do you still give any effort in marketing a (now old) product?
Do you have any new products in the line?
Do you use paid traffic by now?
If so, What are the results of that? (ROI?)

Also wondering what site is yours. I follow a lot of health/fitness sites, so yours could be one of them. just out of personal interest.

Ya so update #2 (2/28):

- Product is still doing about $200 per day on autopilot via SEO. Which is great passive income but definitely not stable.
- An old product? Its only been out for a month. And this is an evergreen product.
- Yes I have new products in the form of OTOs and upsells but I haven't begun development on my next core product yet which will be focused more on muscle building.
- Finally going into FB traffic. But I changed my initial strategy. This past week I invested about $300 with pretty much no ROI. I followed the popular Ryan Deiss "customer value optimization model" of lead magnet ===> tripwire ===> core offer ===> profit maximizers but after hearing about more and more people getting their FB accounts shut down especially in the health niche, I'm going a different route.

Just a few days ago I decided to hire a sales funnel/paid traffic consultant to help me scale my product.

Did I absolutely need to hire someone to help me?

No.

But if i were to do this myself I would be starting from ground zero and I think it's better to partner with someone who's already an expert in the field to expedite the process.

And I gotta say, I'm getting SO much more work done by hiring this guy to help me.

The route we're taking is a bit different from what i was doing before.

Instead of using FB to send traffic to a lead magnet (right now a lot of people are sending traffic to a simple leadpages squeeze page), we're mainly going to use FB for retargeting purposes.

As for traffic sources, we are focusing mainly on native ad platforms like taboola and adblade and send the traffic straight to content pieces.

I don't want to reveal my site on here. Not that I don't trust you, but well...I don't trust you :)

piesandak47

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Mar 7, 2014
Update #3

Alright here's what I accomplished since the last update:

- Built a brand new sales letters for my product (VSL)
- Completed my low priced (tripewire) offer
- Completed my lead magnet

Right now I need to setup 3rd party tracking which is a bit of a pain. And I'm testing heavily on native ad platforms like taboola and adblade.

My big mistake

When I first launched my product, I sold it via clickbank. But I was so pissed because clickbank took like 8-10% per sale so I switched to a platform called Zaxaa which handles payments via stripe which only takes 2.9% + 30 cents per sale, so i ended up making $3 per more sale which is A LOT in the long run. I stayed on zaxaa for like 2 months.

But after consulting with multiple people I decided to switch back to clickbank which is a pain in the a$$ since I have multiple existing customers on zaxaa and clickbank (from the original launch week), so handling the logistics of that is a bit stressful.

The main reason I want to move back and focus on clickbank - affiliates.

I know I'm losing about $3 per sale on my core product if I sell through clickbank but I'm aiming high and looking at the bi picture. If I can blow this affiliates then the extra $3 per sale is nothing.

Am I on track to hit my $30k/month by June? Maybe...I know for damn sure I'm going to crack $10k by June and my overall goal of cracking $50k/month by end of this year.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Can't believe I didn't see this before. There's process here: $7150 in sales in the first week is all most people see but what I see is 3 years of hard work, building a fitness blog and a list and giving the people what they really wanted. Good stuff.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

piesandak47

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Mar 7, 2014
Update #I'm too lazy to go back and check what number I'm on

- Getting ready to do launch version 2.0 of my original product.
- Launching by end of sept or Oct 1st
- I expect revenue to be at least $30k since my email list has more than doubled, I'm implementing retargeting, and I'll actually have upsells/add ons in place this time when they go through the funnel.
- Finally hired a full time graphics person in the Phillipines which was one of the best decisions ever. No longer do I have to bullshit around in photoshop pretending like I know what I'm doing. Now I can give her 5 different graphic tasks and she'll have them all done by the end of the day. This would have taken me a full week to figure out before. If you can afford it, I highly recommend hiring someone full time.
- Currently working on sorting out the launch funnel.
- Going to launch with 3 part video series instead of just email like last time
- Current revenue is around $7k/month now.

Uh...yeah other stuff I can't think of to write but that's my progress.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I focused the majority of my efforts on SEO and never even touched paid traffic which was a huge mistake.

Not to say SEO is bad, I'd like to consider myself pretty well-versed on SEO now but if you really want to grow a business FAST, buying your traffic and customers is the way to go.

If i could start all over again I might not even start a blog. I would go straight into product creation and maybe start a blog later on.

My other big mistake is what a lot of other people suffer from - shiny object syndrome.

While I ran my blog for 3 years, I tried to do a lot of stuff in between before really buckling down the last 6 months to build my own product. Stuff like running affiliates offers on POF, building a SAAS product, offline consulting, importing and selling on amazon/ebay, and a failed partnership that cost me 3 months time and $2500 down the drain.

But now I am 100% laser focused on my own product and scaling it like a motherf*cker.

I always like to compare business to working out/dieting. A person who follows and never gives up on even the world's shittiest workout and diet plan is going to see better results than a person who changes programs every week.

TWO awesome learnings/pieces of advice.

Well done on your launch. (Great time of year for it too!)

piesandak47

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Mar 7, 2014
Put a gun to your head for instant guaranteed results

Ok not a real gun.

Lately I've been struggling with productivity issues and focusing on the right things to scale my biz.

Earlier this year I told myself I would be making $30-50k/month by the end of this year.

That did not happen.

And it's all b/c I'm simply not taking the right actions to move my biz forward.

I'll spare the details now but let's just say instead of doing important shit like investing in FB ads or improving my sales copy, I would do "busy" work like answer blog comments or tell my graphic designer to redo my logo.

So last week I finally decided to change that.

I'm using a site called stickk.com where you basically put real money on the line and if you don't hit your goals, the money gets donated to a charity (or anti charity you don't support).

My goal by Feb 1, 2016 is to hit $10k in monthly revenue.

I put $9,999 on the line and got someone from the FLF INSIDERS forum to verify via live screen cast if I did my work. I'm also paying the guy who's helping me verify an extra $1k whether I hit my goal or not.

So in total I'm at risk of losing $11k if I don't hit my goals.

Losing $11k would hurt me. I do not want to lose that.

And let me tell you - my productivity has never been higher.

I've been getting more real work done in the past week than I have in the past month.

And if you guys put money on the line as motivation, put something big.

$20-100 is nothing really.

Put an amount that will really really make you hurt (obviously not to the point that it will financially ruin you) but make it hurt.

piesandak47

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Mar 7, 2014
Theres a ton of fitness products.

Did you validate your idea for the product before creating it?

How did you make your different from everyone elses?

Yes I did.

I ran a private beta group 4 months before hand and charged $20 to get into the beta. I used it to both get feedback and testimonials.

The hook around my product revolves around getting a very specific type of physique which there are very few if any competitors.

In addition my overall brand personality and writing style is very different from most other fitness bloggers.

piesandak47

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Mar 7, 2014
Launch #2 results

bCWGeWn.png

So yeah...

As you can tell from the screenshot above, I did not hit my $20k goal for this product launch.

In fact, this product launch actually did less than my first product launch ($7k in revenue).

And it's pretty embarrassing considering my list was 2x the size.

So what the f*ck happened?

Here's my recap and thoughts:

Why it "failed"

- My first product launch back in jan was my first product ever so a lot of people who followed me since the beginning bought. This time, I didn't get that since this is an upgrade to the first product and existing product owners upgrade for free
- I heavily changed the angle of the 2nd product. The first product's angle was more of a "how to get in shape without training 5x per week" type of thing. Super simple, nothing flashy, but it worked. For my 2nd product, I decided to get a bit too fancy for my own good...assuming my prospects are a lot more sophisticated than they actually were.
- Adding onto the last point, my headline probably sounded confusing to a lot of guys who didn't have at least a decent knowledge of how the fitness industry works. So if you're writing a sales page, remember the headline is #1. Write you sales page to match your audience's sophistication level.
- My prelaunch emails could have been done better. They were similar in nature and tone to my first launch so some may have found it repetitive.
- I couldn't get my retargeting ads on FB to work. People just weren't clicking through to my ads. I'm guessing it was a problem with my image but I don't think I got a single conversion on FB.

Successes

- My product is legitimately 10000x better than my first product. I've gotten nothing but praise for how it turned out from the people who did buy.
- I'm more motivated than ever now. Yeah my launch didn't go anywhere close to my goals and yeah I spent a day mulling over why it got F*cked and felt sorry for myself, but now I'm more determined than ever to crush it.

Random thoughts on now and the future

- The information side of fitness is a dirty game and while I will stick with it until at least I hit $1M/year in rev...I do want to eventually get out of it and transition into the fitness apparel game. Yeah I know, another clothing company...but I know what I'm getting myself into and have plenty of ideas for where I want to take it.
- Next year I plan on releasing 2-3 more infoproducts (woman's program, cookbook, advanced muscle building) with a set goal of $1M revenue.
- If you want to get into the fitness infoproduct game, please please don't turn "evil." Don't start using headlines like "1 weird trick" and "breakthrough research shows..." when you fully know it's total BS. Keep your integrity.
- Sorry but information is a commodity. We don't care about "10 ways to get a six pack"...We don't care about "10 ways to get a six pack (#7 will shock you)"...We just do not care.
- Establish your brand and personality. Don't be boring. Are you a guy who likes to use different pictures of talking dicks to illustrate the main point of his blog post? SWEET! You'll CRUSH the other guy who has a PHD and writes the most comprehensive article in the world on abs training. I'm totally serious BTW.

AMA if you have questions :)

piesandak47

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Mar 7, 2014
Update #5

Just a small update.

I officially begun development on my app.

In the end I expect development costs plus all the design work I need for this app to be between $10-15k.

Launch is expect to be in late July/August depending on how development goes.

I will discontinue my current product which is more of an infoproduct once my new product launches but in the mean time I'm still refining my funnel since I still need cash coming in.

Exciting times :)

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Why would you cut a product that is working to replace it with another product? Wouldn't it make more sense to learn how to sell the existing, validated product up to $1MM in gross revenues rather than pivoting for what appears to be no reason?

piesandak47

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Mar 7, 2014
Can't believe I didn't see this before. There's process here: $7150 in sales in the first week is all most people see but what I see is 3 years of hard work, building a fitness blog and a list and giving the people what they really wanted. Good stuff.

Haha yup.

I jumped between a lot of different businesses between those 3 years but everything i learned (especially the mindset and attitude needed to become an entrepreneur) carried over into my first launch.

Definitely not a huge launch, revenue wise. But it was a huge milestone for me.

piesandak47

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Mar 7, 2014
How have your sales developed over the last couple of weeks? Did you create new products for your customers and visitors to enjoy?

Sales have stayed steady since my last update.

Got sidetracked with my software which has now been canceled for the time being mostly due to funding issues (cost a lot more than i anticipated and the risk is simply not necessary right now).

Yes I am in the process of relaunching my custom fitness coaching next week.

Will post bigger update when i have time.

piesandak47

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Mar 7, 2014
The money is in the list... build your lists folks.

You really need to do more list building via Facebook. With a lead magnet you will kill it brother.

Btw do you have any tips on building information products, how to create successful info products and etc? any good courses on this you would recommend?

I didn't take a single course.

I looked all the other fitness courses on the market and 99% are crap.

Stock images, poorly formatted PDFs, sleazy marketing, ridiculous upsell/cross sell funnels, lack of respect for the customer (pitching 10 different aff. products in the week after I bought), etc...

I just did the complete opposite.

piesandak47

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Mar 7, 2014
Thanks for sharing your progress, and congrats on your repeated success.

Questions I'd have:

1. What platform do you use for selling?

2. How do you get affiliates (if you do)?

1. samcart
2. it's all about relationships. Connect with other influencers in your space. Or some guys go the sleazy route on CB and actually spend thousands to pay off a bunch of guys to become affiliates for their product to boost their "gravity" score which is the score that shows how well a product sells for affiliates. And other affliates will naturally see the high score and try to promote.

piesandak47

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Mar 7, 2014
Excellent update! My main issue with a lot of fitness info products is that they don't seem to be providing a lot of value.

The successful ones I've seen in the fitness industry focus more on the motivational and humor side of fitness, rather than straight up dispensing information because at the end of the day it's pretty simple actually what you need to do to get fit and there's only so many different ways to rehash the same information

1. Do you agree? My question to you is, what kind do value are you providing with your infoproduct? Is it motivational? Inspiration? Do you give them specific workout programs? Do you talk about the science behind different workout routines? I'm asking out of curiosity because these were the questions I had years ago when I was questioning whether I wanted to enter the online fitness business. If a potential investor asked you summarize what values your customers get from you, what would you tell him?

2. Are you working to establish credibility in the fitness world? I'm assuming you already have some kind of online presence and credibility since you were able to make sales. Having credibility is extremely important in the industry. Have you thought about collaborating with youtube fitness celebrities?

1. There are a lot of guys successful in the fitness niche that don't focus on the motivational/humor side but straight up dark IM tactics . I'm guessing you're referring more to the Instagram/youtube guys, right? If so, realize that there's a MASSIVE MASSIVE MASSIVE world in fitness beyond those 2 channels. I barely used these 2 channels to grow my biz so far.

Yes I give specific workout and diet programs. I briefly get into the science but not too much b/c ppl just don't give a shit. There's a small subset who do but I'm not catering to those ppl. Hah, as for investors, first, that would never happen especially in the infoproduct side and if i did, they would care more about revenue and how I would scale more than anything else.

2. Of course I have some credibility right now. No not thinking of YT collabs yet, maybe down the line, but not right now.

piesandak47

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Mar 7, 2014
1) How did you drive traffic to your blog in the first place?

2) What did you give away for them to even sign up? (my wife has a fitness blog and email capture seems to be the hardest part for us)

3) Did you have a dedicated landing page for the info product or was it just sold via email?

1) SEO and social media mainly
2) a lot of the time it was simply a PDF version of whatever blog post they were on. I used a lot of page specific lead magnets. I
3) I had a prelaunch page for my product but nothing beyond that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.