The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

kicked out, now what?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
The lawncare business was your father's. Not yours. Same with the $10,000 right? This was your dad's money sitting on his bank account, correct?

Do you have/own any equipment?

If so, get to work.

If not, go to craigslist, or go to another lawncare business and get a job.

You need to start working right away to generate money.

And rent a bedroom, that should be cheap.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
The lawncare business was your father's. Not yours. Same with the $10,000 right? This was your dad's money sitting on his bank account, correct?

I was under the impression that he is the current operator of the business. If I'm wrong, this changes a lot of my advice.

If it wasn't your business, then you best start working!

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
I would think you could do a lawn business, I think he said it is up north in the USA, and go to college without a lot of hassel.

Free school, food, housing and run a business hmmmmm Anyone want to adopt me :)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Starting a lawn business is pretty easy. Shit I could buy everythibg I need on a credit card and probably make enough before the first payment to cover the minimum. That is with nice stuff too. But I have spotless credit no utilization and high limits.

Pressure washing is even easier.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
too much :icon_bs: going on here for me to follow this any more... peace. I'm out.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
Do what I did. Get a room over a bar. Cheap rent for sure.

ya - at 18 you should have almost no expenses.

cheap rent + unlimited time to work on whatever you want = extremely easy to be successful

6-7 years ago I was living in a cheap, studio apartment - it was dirty, and there was a lizard who snuck in and was living with me. all i did was eat cheap microwave meals, and work 24/7, and try not to step on the lizard. i didn't do anything else. i didn't have a tv, so all i had was a pull out sofa, and a computer on a tiny table in the whole place. that's it. i did that on purpose. with that strategy, it would have been hard NOT to be successful.

How is it you are posting on a forum at 1:30 on Wed when you have a lawn business and are supposedly trying to grow it to huge proportions?

this

unlimited time to be successful + lots of that time spent posting on internet forums = less likely to be successful

you don't realize how awesome this opportunity is. some of my favorite memories are from "trying to make it". it's an extremely exciting time.

if you view it as a bad thing, it will be. if you view it as a good thing, it will be.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012

Do you have/own any equipment?

If so, get to work.

If not, go to craigslist, or go to another lawncare business and get a job.

You need to start working right away to generate money.

And rent a bedroom, that should be cheap.

I don't know why you've assumed that... everything is 100% mine. We just strongly disagree on various subjects and I cannot live my life to please someone else

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
ya - at 18 you should have almost no expenses.

cheap rent + unlimited time to work on whatever you want = extremely easy to be successful

6-7 years ago I was living in a cheap, studio apartment - it was dirty, and there was a lizard who snuck in and was living with me. all i did was eat cheap microwave meals, and work 24/7, and try not to step on the lizard. i didn't do anything else. i didn't have a tv, so all i had was a pull out sofa, and a computer on a tiny table in the whole place. that's it. i did that on purpose. with that strategy, it would have been hard NOT to be successful.

this

unlimited time to be successful + lots of that time spent posting on internet forums = less likely to be successful

you don't realize how awesome this opportunity is. some of my favorite memories are from "trying to make it". it's an extremely exciting time.

if you view it as a bad thing, it will be. if you view it as a good thing, it will be.

I really enjoyed reading that and it made so much sense to me. Thank you, snowBank.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
So, now that you've had time to digest the advice given you, what is your plan?

I've bit my lip and said what I had to say to be able to live here. I love my parents and this major conflict gave me an opportunity to make it clear that I will respect them, but I will make my own life decisions. I love entrepreneurship and I will not give that up in order to make someone else proud of me.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Hey Sean,

I am TRULY glad to hear it. Believe it or not, at various times today I was concerned where you would be staying tonight. I guess that is the father and grandfather in me and concerned about a fellow Irishman. :)

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
Ok there is your opportunity to learn your first rule of success. "KNOW WHEN TO BE HUMBLE AND WHEN TO FOLD YOUR HAND SO THAT YOU MAY PLAY ANOTHER DAY." No man is an island.

On this road my friend you will most certainly have to smile when your feeling like shit and shit when you think it's time for you to be smiling. Going from normal life to successful entrepreneurship is almost like beginning to do everything with your opposite hand. Up is down down is up. The rules become reversed. 50 plus hours don't mean you get paid overtime you may just be busting your a$$ to pay your contractor his fee and nothing goes in your pocket.

So learn now when you have an essential resource (in this case your parents) to bow your head in humility so that you may achieve your objective quicker or keep fighting battles of pride that only win you a date with delay and hardship.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
Hey Sean,

I am TRULY glad to hear it. Believe it or not, at various times today I was concerned where you would be staying tonight. I guess that is the father and grandfather in me and concerned about a fellow Irishman. :)

I don't know how to respond other than by smiling :) (BTW I'm about as irish as they come hahah. My full name is Sean Patrick Kelly)

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
So, what's your approximate plan? Are you going to college?

And when are you going to stop doing jobs and start devoting your time to making sure your employees have all the jobs they can get?

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I don't know why you've assumed that... everything is 100% mine
I apologize for my mistake. If you own everything then you should be working, starting today, on an exit plan.

I am a parent.

I love my children to death.

But it is my house and they have to do what I say.

If not, they will be able to move and live their own lives. I am fine with that.

Most parents I know share this line of thought. "My house, my rules"

So, I wish you the best of luck, and move quickly so you can live your life the way you see it fit.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.