The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

kicked out, now what?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
Parents kicked me out and cashed out my college fund. Any suggestions or guidance on a possible game plan? I make decent money landscaping, but not enough to get my own place.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
I would say it's a good time to use that $10,000 you didn't have a use for :)

Do whatever you have to do. Do you have a place to live? Why did you get kicked out?

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Learn about maslows

Food and shelter. Security is first.

Better find a job.

Good luck.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
something is messed up here Sean.

I think you need to start being honest with yourself even if you are not going to be with us.

You stated VERY clearly that you made 70K profit with your business.

We can't help if we have misinformation.

Strive

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Awful news Sean, I've been trying to get in contact with you if there's anything I can do to help let me know.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
I would say it's a good time to use that $10,000 you didn't have a use for :)

Do whatever you have to do. Do you have a place to live? Why did you get kicked out?

Didn't do much at all. Simply had a disagreement that went too far and because it's their house they want me out. They don't support my entrepreneurial goals and have looked down on me for not holding college in the highest respect (even though I've achieved very much and had planned on attending college this fall).

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
something is messed up here Sean.

I think you need to start being honest with yourself even if you are not going to be with us.

You stated VERY clearly that you made 70K profit with your business.

We can't help if we have misinformation.

I am being honest with you, but that was due to a few large jobs that I consider myself lucky to have won the bid for them. I cannot guarantee that type of income yet and with the cost of living in Jersey I cannot afford a home.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
I would say it's a good time to use that $10,000 you didn't have a use for
^this

Find someone looking for a roommate on Craigslist, find a storage facility that you can store your landscaping stuff in. If you're truly on your own, well then, welcome aboard! You've got lots of adventure in store (although it might feel like shitty circumstances at the time).

Ramp that landscaping business up, and now. This is exactly the kind of motivation you need to double, triple, quadruple the business you're currently doing.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
Walk the earth and get into adventures.. Like Cain did..

Jack,
I understand that you've never attended college, but wholeheartedly support attending. Can you give me more insight on how you began your life as an entrepreneur. I need as much guidance as I can get at this point.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
^this

Find someone looking for a roommate on Craigslist, find a storage facility that you can store your landscaping stuff in. If you're truly on your own, well then, welcome aboard! You've got lots of adventure in store (although it might feel like shitty circumstances at the time).

Ramp that landscaping business up, and now. This is exactly the kind of motivation you need to double, triple, quadruple the business you're currently doing.

Are you also on your own? Could you offer some suggestions?

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Nothing like getting kicked out to give your entrepreneurial spirit a swift kick in the a$$!

I agree with PatrickP...something is off here. $70k profit is enough to find a home somewhere (even in NYC - rent).

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
Nothing like getting kicked out to give your entrepreneurial spirit a swift kick in the a$$!

I agree with PatrickP...something is off here. $70k profit is enough to find a home somewhere (even in NYC - rent).

maybe i calculated it wrong then. That is what i get to take after i pay the workers. I still have to pay many expenses. I'm sorry for being idiotic and claiming that was pure profit.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
Are you also on your own? Could you offer some suggestions?
Well, I've been on my own since the early 80's, so our perspectives will be different. However, I've lived in some pretty dismal situations. I remember being roomies with a guy. My only pair of pants were gas station pants I had from working at a gas station. I washed those pants every night in the bathtub. Hamburger Helper was a feast - it was usually Top Ramen.

As for offering suggestions, you need to start making money, and now. You've been on the forum, you know you need to provide great value that separates you from your competition. How you do that depends in part on what your honest situation is at the moment. Do you have money saved up? Do you have a crew and regular customers? My advice would be different depending on the situation.

For sure my best advice is get out from behind that keyboard and start getting customers. Now.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Do what I did. Get a room over a bar. Cheap rent for sure. You are only 18 so you can't have as much fun as I did but that is probably a good thing.

Well your days will be VERY busy either cutting grass or looking for new business. As was said 10K is a TON of money at 18 and all you need is a room.

If you want to go back home than you need to do what is necessary to get back there.

I think 2 things.

1. You really do not have 10K cash sitting there to use however you want.
2. You are NOT being upfront and completely honest as to why your parents tossed you out.

What sane parent tosses their kid out who is making even 30K in their own business? If you really are not making much and your parents will pay for all of your college go to college and ONLY take courses which will help you become an entrepreneur.

How is it you are posting on a forum at 1:30 on Wed when you have a lawn business and are supposedly trying to grow it to huge proportions?

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
So you have 70k expenses or what? There should be enough left over to cover a few months living cost at least?!

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
Do what I did. Get a room over a bar. Cheap rent for sure. You are only 18 so you can't have as much fun as I did but that is probably a good thing.

Well your days will be VERY busy either cutting grass or looking for new business. As was said 10K is a TON of money at 18 and all you need is a room.

If you want to go back home than you need to do what is necessary to get back there.

I think 2 things.

1. You really do not have 10K cash sitting there to use however you want.
2. You are NOT being upfront and completely honest as to why your parents tossed you out.

What sane parent tosses their kid out who is making even 30K in their own business? If you really are not making much and your parents will pay for all of your college go to college and ONLY take courses which will help you become an entrepreneur.

How is it you are posting on a forum at 1:30 on Wed when you have a lawn business and are supposedly trying to grow it to huge proportions?

I promise I am being completely honest about both. My dad has treated me like complete crap because I don't like the thought of college and my mom stands beside him. This is after the man goes with me to cash $5,000 checks. I hope you believe me, if you don't then so be it. I am not working today because I needed to gather a plan of what the hell I am going to do.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Jack,
I understand that you've never attended college, but wholeheartedly support attending. Can you give me more insight on how you began your life as an entrepreneur. I need as much guidance as I can get at this point.

I think you got me wrong about the college deal, personally I don't care if people go to college, start their own business, or move into a crack den. at 18-19-20-21, I thought I knew everything college didnt matter cause I was going to be rich. I didn't and it has cost me hundreds of millions of dollars. Most people think they have it figured out.. making this paper is easy. it isnt.. most fail..

So to say you should skip college cause you is going to be a rich business owner, it is just not true. Most are going to fail, Most wont realize where the money is to be made when it is right in front of them. Fact is anyone can graduate from college, all you have to do is show up.

Also, you got kicked out, well at my age I was the bread winner at the house, I paid the rent, cable everything.. Worked two jobs to make that happen. If you cannot make it on your own. try having a household to pay for at 18. (dad died, left us penniless.)

I just decided one day I was not going to do it anymore. picked a field and worked like crazy.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
If you've got the money, then great. You have some money, and you know how you made it. Get situated in the cheapest digs you can find, and go make more. Just like you did before, but better this time.

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
I dont understand the question.
You dont have a place to stay, and youre on here asking what the game plan should be?
That sounds like common sense.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
How bad do you really want it? You've asked a ton of threads asking everyone what you should do on different things. Why not figure it out yourself? I have not been apart of this forum that long but long enough to have seen most of the questions you asked answered at least once. Search, things are 10x easier with the computer. You can find the answer to anything. I doubt Jack sat around asking everyone what he should do and he did pretty well I'd say.

But since you asked, here is my thoughts...
Spend some time today getting an apartment, should be no problem finding a good deal with someone who just wants to fill a space. Maybe find someone desperate who will do a month-to-month for you. Then, start prospecting for landscaping clients. Drive around and see who could benefit and either stop in or call, don't wait for them to find you, you find them. Landscaping is mostly a day project, you may take care of some paperwork at night but hopefully you still have some time to do research. Try and find investment or business opportunities if you really want. Maybe buy a 2-4 family. Live in 1, rent the rest out, now you have some cashflow. But if RE isn't your thing, work on building a business you want. There is a plethora of information on here to get you started. Then if you have a question about something specific, ask...your threads have been so general it shows you are lazy, might as well ask someone to wipe your a$$ for ya too.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
How bad do you really want it? You've asked a ton of threads asking everyone what you should do on different things. Why not figure it out yourself? I have not been apart of this forum that long but long enough to have seen most of the questions you asked answered at least once. Search, things are 10x easier with the computer. You can find the answer to anything. I doubt Jack sat around asking everyone what he should do and he did pretty well I'd say.

But since you asked, here is my thoughts...
Spend some time today getting an apartment, should be no problem finding a good deal with someone who just wants to fill a space. Maybe find someone desperate who will do a month-to-month for you. Then, start prospecting for landscaping clients. Drive around and see who could benefit and either stop in or call, don't wait for them to find you, you find them. Landscaping is mostly a day project, you may take care of some paperwork at night but hopefully you still have some time to do research. Try and find investment or business opportunities if you really want. Maybe buy a 2-4 family. Live in 1, rent the rest out, now you have some cashflow. But if RE isn't your thing, work on building a business you want. There is a plethora of information on here to get you started. Then if you have a question about something specific, ask...your threads have been so general it shows you are lazy, might as well ask someone to wipe your a$$ for ya too.

Tough love but I can respect it.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Tough love but I can respect it.

Not trying to be mean, but there are so many people who come here and ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, but never take action. I hope you do well, I hope everyone here does well but if you don't take control and do it on your own, it just won't happen. Even if you made it by winning the lottery, you took action to buy the ticket.

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
Let's cut the BS. Just go home and say you are sorry. Work things out with your parents since it seems you are not ready to be on your own yet ( no harm in that ) Tell them what they want to hear. Go to college and learn more. Do your other business on the side and when you make your first million you can laugh about it then. There, Easy Peasy Lemon squeezy.....sorry I've been hanging out with my 8 yr old alot :)

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Let's cut the BS. Just go home and say you are sorry. Work things out with your parents since it seems you are not ready to be on your own yet ( no harm in that ) Tell them what they want to hear. Go to college and learn more. Do your other business on the side and when you make your first million you can laugh about it then. There, Easy Peasy Lemon squeezy.....sorry I've been hanging out with my 8 yr old alot :)

This. Beg your parents to give you another six months in the house. Offer to pay your way, whatever. Food and shelter are priority.

You can run a landscaping business and go to college at the same time. You just won't be able to do any more jobs yourself.

Go make a Craigslist ad and look for someone to take your place right now. One person is all for right now. Then, write up some fliers that detail your referral plan (Bring one customer, get two weeks free). Send them to all of your houses.

Once you've gotten yourself out of doing jobs, focus your energies on getting more jobs and hire as you need to.

Unless you're making good money or you've got an offer to sell your business, go to college next fall.

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
I don't know you but we are only hearing one side of the story. Parents do not wake up one day and decide to kick you out.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I don't know you but we are only hearing one side of the story. Parents do not wake up one day and decide to kick you out.

They probably knew he was able to take care of himself and thought that keeping him in the house would be a bad idea if he wasn't going to follow their advice. I've known people whose parents wanted them to pay rent to continue living there.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.