The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

What kind of jobs should i bee looking for i need to find a job now

• should i look for front end jobs

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • should i look for back end jobs

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

Fastlane Liam

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Wow Shelton did you take a whole 3 seconds to write that CV? Maybe a good start would be to use a CV Template - I've attached one for you to use. And please - for F*cks sake, don't use brown font.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• Free CV Template.docx
    21.9 KB · Views: 16

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Side jobs & gigs are an option, but they combine the worst parts of employment and business: constantly trying to scrape together new clients, trying to find a workable niche, build up a reputation, but all for hourly but unstable work.

That's not necessarily true. I've seen many people's stories of how they started a window washing service: they bought a bucket and squeegee, went to a little shop, walked in and asked if the boss wanted the windows cleaned. Some bosses did. Some of those were willing to have the cleaner come back on a regular schedule. How much training does it take to have a few of those conversations until one gets a few people to say yes?

Over time, say a few months, a circuit was built up that provided as much money and MORE stability than any basic entry level job. Any one unhappy or difficult customer could be replaced, with only a loss of a small fraction of one's current ongoing income.

How could it ever be more stable to rely on one person's whim for 100% of one's income? Without the option to charge by the results or outcomes, say so much per window, rather than by the hour?

Some window washers got further ambitious, switched to hiring other people to handle the squeegee, and got more accounts. The "dirty jobs" thread here has awesome examples of this kind of thing.

I'm not saying Shelton should wash windows. I am saying that he looked for how to be of service rather than how to use a half-assed lousy resume and bad attitude to look for very competitive entry-level jobs, maybe he could get paid sooner.

To clarify, you've worked gigs? Do you have advice for him on how to get gigs based on what he's laid out in his resume?

I've done gigs for up to a few thousand dollars, but after I had a lot of professional experience in the related fields. What's in his resume and in his posts here, is not enough for me to see who would want to hire him for anything, or why.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
I tried going to subway but that didn't work I don't think Mc Donalds will take me

I got hired by McDonald's at a time I had nothing of interest on my resume. They don't actually need a resume, by the way, only an application. So more specifically, I had nothing much of interest to put on my application.

I filled it out anyway, added a cover note, and got an interview. The manager and I talked a bit, mostly about my customer service attitude, and she hired me. I started work as soon as the next orientation was scheduled. That was held once a week as the store owners has several restaurants, and sent all the new hires to Paperwork Guy every Thursday afternoon. A few days later I was trained how to ring up Big Macs.

The McDonald's corporation is getting out of owning restaurants directly. They want, or maybe they already have finished, to have ALL the restaurants owned by franchisees. That means each and every location might have a different owner with different policies, and a new fresh start for you even if someone across the street just told you no.

As I'm not sure from your response here if you could figure out how to put peanut butter on a slice of bread, jelly on another slice, and put them together ingredients side in, working for now at a place that includes a free lunch would probably serve you well.

I'm amazed at the amount of resistance you show to think through or take action or follow up on the advice you asked for. For example, the new resume says you have excellent organizational ability and attention to detail, while having inconsistent formatting and a whole blank section. If you can't write up one page about yourself, how much attention to detail and organizational ability do you actually have? What level of hand-holding and babysitting do you expect as appropriate, for someone who claims he can prioritize with foresight and strong communication skills? If you don't prove me wrong, only you will be missing out on your better future.

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
I got hired by McDonald's at a time I had nothing of interest on my resume. They don't actually need a resume, by the way, only an application. So more specifically, I had nothing much of interest to put on my application.

I filled it out anyway, added a cover note, and got an interview. The manager and I talked a bit, mostly about my customer service attitude, and she hired me. I started work as soon as the next orientation was scheduled. That was held once a week as the store owners has several restaurants, and sent all the new hires to Paperwork Guy every Thursday afternoon. A few days later I was trained how to ring up Big Macs.

The McDonald's corporation is getting out of owning restaurants directly. They want, or maybe they already have finished, to have ALL the restaurants owned by franchisees. That means each and every location might have a different owner with different policies, and a new fresh start for you even if someone across the street just told you no.

As I'm not sure from your response here if you could figure out how to put peanut butter on a slice of bread, jelly on another slice, and put them together ingredients side in, working for now at a place that includes a free lunch would probably serve you well.

I'm amazed at the amount of resistance you show to think through or take action or follow up on the advice you asked for. For example, the new resume says you have excellent organizational ability and attention to detail, while having inconsistent formatting and a whole blank section. If you can't write up one page about yourself, how much attention to detail and organizational ability do you actually have? What level of hand-holding and babysitting do you expect as appropriate, for someone who claims he can prioritize with foresight and strong communication skills? If you don't prove me wrong, only you will be missing out on your better future.
I'll read it over the weekend and see what i can do

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
I'll read it over the weekend and see what i can do
Do it now. You keep making excuses man. This ain’t theexcuselane forum.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018

The weekend actually is fair, it really does take a couple of days to go through the book, do the exercises and be ready for some info interviews. He could get his head sorted over the weekend, and hit the ground running with a new personal profile and focus when the work week starts.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
The weekend actually is fair, it really does take a couple of days to go through the book, do the exercises and be ready for some info interviews. He could get his head sorted over the weekend, and hit the ground running with a new personal profile and focus when the work week starts.
True. Good point. I’m probably aggressive but he’s been asking for help for like 3 months already and keeps finding an excuse.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
He can, but he has absolutely no training in this, like most school leavers. Everyone's trained just to print out a resume and go begging for a taskmaster.

Side jobs & gigs are an option, but they combine the worst parts of employment and business: constantly trying to scrape together new clients, trying to find a workable niche, build up a reputation, but all for hourly but unstable work.

To clarify, you've worked gigs? Do you have advice for him on how to get gigs based on what he's laid out in his resume?
I rolled my "young person" side jobs and gigs, along with a lot of education, into a high power career. Now that I'm retired, I still regularly do little side jobs and gigs -- and I've been self-employed for 42 years. I think of the side jobs and gigs as the fun part of business.
www.wjkbusinessbuzz.com

DavidIonesi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Apr 1, 2018
Romania
It may just a matter of talking to the right person,
The hiring manager directly responsible for hiring you.

Ask if they're there, and talk to them directly.
Make eye-eye contact, THEN leave a resume and contact info.

I always got the job I wanted this way. ALWAYS! And I had countless jobs, gas station, supermarket...erm what is it called in english? the dude that stacks stuff on the shelves, bartender (multiple places), waiter(multiple places), hell somebody even wanted to hire me as a truck dispatcher when I'm very unqualified.

I work as a sales person right now, D2D sales. Yeah, actually I recommend this job to anybody starting out, you get to meet up with all kinds of people.

I also adopted an attitude that said "I don't care If I don't land this job" meaning I wasn't looking desperate, my voice was calm and steady, sit on the chair with hands visible on the table. In body language it shows that you have nothing to hide and it's a sign of honesty. And yes! EYE CONTACT, look between his or her eyes, at the tip of the nose, it's much easier to do it this way.

All in all, remember the "Law of Averages", 1 in 100 will always land, it's what I use at my job right now when I don't sign a contract and get discouraged. I remember that I have to keep going, someone will eventually sign.

Good luck!

Hassassin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Oct 14, 2012
Hi Hassan. Nice CV overall.

You don't mention what city you're in. You don't need your full mailing address. But it would be nice to know where you are located, at least by city.

The only real challenge I see is the third-person summary at the top. I think it can be made simpler and clearer, and more personal. Instead of "personal statement" I would title the section "Work objective." I'd move the word "diligent" to somewhere in your skills list.

I'm curious why you want a regular day job, rather than more freelance clients?

Thank you @Late Bloomer, appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback, I've implemented the changes you've suggested and it does read better :).

RE: Why I want a regular day job?

2 Reasons:

1. I've just launched a product on Amazon and want to continue growing it, so a consistent paycheck helps me save up capital. And...

Being a "content marketing guy" online restricted me to just crafting long form content for clients. But I'm hungry for more, you know?

I want to dive deep into analytics, PPC campaigns, SEO, and learn more.

A job in the industry would be great for my education and provide long-term satisfaction. Because I don't see myself hitting 25-26 years old at this desk job, but I can certainly feel content with getting my hands dirty in a marketing role where I make a difference.

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
I applied for McDonalds online
We can probably take the weekend off of haranguing him:p
I'm currently on chapter seven of the book. I think I only need the first five chapters to resolve my current situation. I finally realized that even though my resume did get a first round interview. I also need to learn to become a better interviewee

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018

I'm currently on chapter seven of the book. I think I only need the first five chapters to resolve my current situation. I finally realized that even though my resume did get a first round interview. I also need to learn to become a better interviewee

Yes! The first part is about why you should pursue the hidden job market, especially at smaller organizations; who you are and what you offer that you can do, and how you do it; and a start at finding people to interview to ask them about their jobs as part of your research. This part is ONLY to talk with people doing the work, to ask them what it's like to do the work. You DON'T try to immediately get a job at this point. The last part about how you go back to sell yourself to the hiring manager, comes later, after your research shows you exactly where you want to work and why.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
remember the "Law of Averages", 1 in 100 will always land, it's what I use at my job right now when I don't sign a contract and get discouraged.

In any field, whether it's jobs you could do or people that would be good to date, or whatever, 10% of them could be compatible with you. Also in any field, whether it's managers with a budget to hire someone NOW, or lovely people who are eager to have more dates NOW, about 10% of all people are ready to act now. The intersection is that 1%. If your offer is at all relevant and reasonable, you should expect a 1% response rate of YES right now, and another few percent that say, let's keep in touch for when I'm more available later.

LaraJF

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Apr 1, 2017
Silicon Valley, California

My daughter got her first job by going into a place with a help wanted sign. It was a locally owned small business and she got the job.

If there's a place near you that you like going to (i.e. Office Depot, etc.), then go in and talk with them directly.

I know they try to push you to apply online, but at least they'll know who you are if you talk to them in person, and if you're a regular there.

My second idea for you is to get in touch with a temp agency like Kelly or Robert Half, etc. They'll give you some tests to identify strengths, and you'll get to work temporarily for a number of different companies.

Good luck!

focusedlife

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 16, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Hopefully this helps you and anyone else that might have similar challenges.

Look forward to hearing your feedback.

Regards,

Los

Danny reds

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
May 31, 2018
Denver, CO
Over the last few weeks, I've been trying to find a simple job but they all require some form of experience. I manage to find a few jobs for me to do but I just keep getting rejected and I don't know why. I keep trying to find information about each company but its never enough. Even if I have never got a job before I need to find a way to stand out. I don't know too much about retail stores but there has to be a way to stand out. I applied to Walgreens, Macy's, Target, staples, and even tried to go to local shops but they won't take me. I know I don't have a college degree but there has to be something I can do.
Are you good at talking?

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Just some things they taught me at my business school. They change the form of resume style every year. And throw most of them out half the time unless they feel you have something that stands out on the page. I'm not sure where you are located, but if you're in America, you can go to the Governments Work Job sites: Example: I'm from Michigan and it's called Michigan Works. They have all the information there for you to learn how to write resumes, cover letters, and teach you the whole nine yards, besides have job postings, and sometimes if you qualify training they have grants to help you get some training. You can also go to Manpower or other temporary services and sometimes they have similar resources. You can call the Department of Human Services in the area, and they should have a list of non-profits that serve your local area that may provide job assistance. You just have to know where to look in your community. Even a local Church might have a list of those resources. They usually work with you one on one.

Vaibhav Brid

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 4, 2018
Over the last few weeks, I've been trying to find a simple job but they all require some form of experience. I manage to find a few jobs for me to do but I just keep getting rejected and I don't know why. I keep trying to find information about each company but its never enough. Even if I have never got a job before I need to find a way to stand out. I don't know too much about retail stores but there has to be a way to stand out. I applied to Walgreens, Macy's, Target, staples, and even tried to go to local shops but they won't take me. I know I don't have a college degree but there has to be something I can do.

I see you have mentioned programming skills on your resume. I am a software developer with 7 years experience and just lost my job in march. It is now May and still trying to find a position.

If you have programming skills on your resume, create an account on github, watch videos how to use github and start putting in some html\css\javascript code. You can mention these github projects in your resume. It shows you are up for learning more things and have proof you are indeed learning them.

Other than that keep trying. Job market is tough and can be really frustrating and if you read this book, it means you read. Keep reading. Opportunity will knock your door soon.

NaPal

Done > Perfect
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Apr 16, 2012
USA
TLDR: Napal's Cash Shattering tips Explode Career Advancement

Be confident, ,the company should be selling you, not the other way around, explain how you'll benefit THEM, it's not about you, ask for $15k more than you're making now, settle on $10K.
Remember, you're choosing somewhere to park (use) your skills and grow. Negotiate hard, hustle.

And, there is always something better out there. Rinse and Repeat after 1 years time or until you break fastlane.

LiveFire

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 17, 2017
If this is something temporarily you need to do, go back to McDonalds ( or somewhere similar), fill out a written application, ask to speak with the manager in expressing your eagerness and attempts of wanting to work for such an "excellent" company, and on that application you mark 5 PM to Close for all 7 days a week and can start immediately. You won't work 7 days a week, but they need people available to work those evening shifts to close, wash the dishes, clean the store and get things ready for breakfast. Grant it, you will be working with a bunch of high school kids in the evenings more than likely, but an opportunity to show your "leadership" and "initiative" to make that"employee of the month" - get gainfully employed to acquire experience, training, earn awards to showcase on the resume, and learn about repeatable process of that business/company (manuals, consistency of delivery, quality control, inventory control/stocking, operations, dealing with the public by gaining valuable "Customer Service" skills, etc. that you can take somewhere else one day or to you own venture. Also, if money is tight - you more than likely probably get a 50% discount on your food for either working or going in when someone called off (some places my offer free depending on the owner of the franchise). My dad always told me that if you have food, you can make it through anything. Working days are given to the long term people that been there a while. If you are listing on the application that you only want to work a few hours, that is no good to them.

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY

Hopefully this helps you and anyone else that might have similar challenges.

Look forward to hearing your feedback.

Regards,

Los
This is what I have so far I'm still thinking about what you said but I think it will take a while to find something new to say. I could try adding some stories but that would make this resume too long. I think I just need to answer the interview questions a lot better.

Bishop

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Nov 9, 2017
California
@shelton, have you ruled out joining the military?

It's only 4 years, and you could choose an MOS that you are interested in. I would suggest something like cyber security or something that would help you in the civilian world. Plus you get college tuition paid for when you get out, and it gives you job experience.

Or you could just work at Staples or McDonalds. Just a suggestion.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I’ve only read the first few posts.

This thread and the two videos in it might help:

Singh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Feb 27, 2016
UK
I just got a copy of what color is your parachute from my local library. Great read and puts into perspective what employers are really looking for in an interview (something I have always had a hard time with).

I have noticed in my experience is to go direct and apply to jobs even if you are under experienced you never know, the worst they can do is say no so you are not any worse off.

example i give is I had a call with a recruiter who found my cv on a job portal and then had a lengthy chat asking experience etc. He then responded that you are not what the company is looking for, when asked who they were he did not tell me. Fine I thought and just googled the job description and found the company.

I found the job on their website of which I knew I was not experienced enough for but applied anyway at 7pm on Monday evening. They called me 9.15am the following day asking to interview me this coming Tuesday. Most people would have given up after the recruiter said no but this is a great example of what can happen if you just apply anyway.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
I just got a copy of what color is your parachute from my local library. Great read and puts into perspective what employers are really looking for in an interview (something I have always had a hard time with).

Glad you liked it! And nice initiative getting past the recruiter's no.

Parachute is also very useful for people who want to do freelance consulting. The only difference is that when you meet with the person who has the power to hire you, it's for your project proposal, not for a direct job. Almost everything else works just the same, even the interview tips like don't talk about money until you've shown the value you can add.

@shelton, have you ruled out joining the military?

It's only 4 years, and you could choose an MOS that you are interested in. I would suggest something like cyber security or something that would help you in the civilian world. Plus you get college tuition paid for when you get out, and it gives you job experience.

Or you could just work at Staples or McDonalds. Just a suggestion.

I agree. I think the military might be great for Shelton. Someone else would tell him exactly what to do and how to do it, and over the course of a few years, he could learn how to develop his own initiative. By the time his service is over, he'd have a great sellable skill set, including mental focus and self-confidence.

... ask to speak with the manager in expressing your eagerness and attempts of wanting to work for such an "excellent" company, and on that application you mark 5 PM to Close for all 7 days a week and can start immediately. .... and learn about repeatable process of that business/company (manuals, consistency of delivery, quality control, inventory control/stocking, operations, dealing with the public by gaining valuable "Customer Service" skills, etc. that you can take somewhere else one day or to you own venture.

I think that is awesome advice. When I worked fast food I saw that and you are so right, about scheduling and also about how it can show what it takes to have systems the work in business. Someone who carefully observed those lessons, while handing out burgers to customers (or pencils or cans of paint or phones or whatever), would never be lost at what it means that a Fastlane business needs to be scalable. They'd have seen scalability in action! But I'm not sure if Shelton would be able to really pick up on those learning opportunities at this point.
Still a great way to make some immediate money though, if someone has enough energy and transportation to be on the closing shift.

TLDR: Napal's Cash Shattering tips Explode Career Advancement
Was that supposed to be clickable link? It just shows up as an underline for me.

Be confident, the company should be selling you, not the other way around, explain how you'll benefit THEM, it's not about you, ask for $15k more than you're making now, settle on $10K.

Usually true but I don't know if Shelton actually has skills that will benefit the company. That's why I think the McDonald's and military suggestions are so strong. If you can show up and pay attention (and in the military, are physically fit), they can explain everything else and build up some skills in you. I think "I'm available" might be a stronger pitch for Shelton to make now, than any skills-based presentation.

Last edited:

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Not really I can't form paragraphs with words to save my life in most social situations. But I can explain concepts and other peoples thoughts pretty well.

Three suggestions:

1. Dale Carnegie course.

2. Toastmasters. You can visit some different clubs for free til you find one you like. Stick with it for a year to complete the intro to speaking book and the intro to leadership book. After that, you will never again be afraid to run a meeting and get up front to say a few words.

3. If you like explaining ideas from others, learn about sales and copywriting. Great threads here on these topics.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
I see you have mentioned programming skills on your resume. I am a software developer with 7 years experience and just lost my job in march. It is now May and still trying to find a position.

If you have programming skills on your resume, create an account on github, watch videos how to use github and start putting in some html\css\javascript code. You can mention these github projects in your resume. It shows you are up for learning more things and have proof you are indeed learning them.

Other than that keep trying. Job market is tough and can be really frustrating and if you read this book, it means you read. Keep reading. Opportunity will knock your door soon.

Love the suggestion of coders using open source contribution to show their skills and that they are currently active, with or without a job.

It looks like this is your only post? Lots of great discussions on the forum here about business from a software guy's point of view. I hope you will stick around and participate, maybe get some help here with your own job search. What's your own technical background and what are you looking for, more specifically?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.