• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FORUM SEARCH

Get answers about starting a business from real entrepreneurs. Powered by Google.

RANT Job finding

Discussion in 'Lessons from Success/Failure' started by shelton, May 22, 2018.

What kind of jobs should i bee looking for i need to find a job now

1. should i look for front end jobs

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. should i look for back end jobs

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. NaPal

NaPal Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $416
    TLDR: Napal's Cash Shattering tips Explode Career Advancement

Be confident, ,the company should be selling you, not the other way around, explain how you'll benefit THEM, it's not about you, ask for $15k more than you're making now, settle on $10K.
    Remember, you're choosing somewhere to park (use) your skills and grow. Negotiate hard, hustle.

And, there is always something better out there. Rinse and Repeat after 1 years time or until you break fastlane.

LaraJF and Late Bloomer like this.
  2. LiveFire

LiveFire Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $355
    If this is something temporarily you need to do, go back to McDonalds ( or somewhere similar), fill out a written application, ask to speak with the manager in expressing your eagerness and attempts of wanting to work for such an "excellent" company, and on that application you mark 5 PM to Close for all 7 days a week and can start immediately. You won't work 7 days a week, but they need people available to work those evening shifts to close, wash the dishes, clean the store and get things ready for breakfast. Grant it, you will be working with a bunch of high school kids in the evenings more than likely, but an opportunity to show your "leadership" and "initiative" to make that"employee of the month" - get gainfully employed to acquire experience, training, earn awards to showcase on the resume, and learn about repeatable process of that business/company (manuals, consistency of delivery, quality control, inventory control/stocking, operations, dealing with the public by gaining valuable "Customer Service" skills, etc. that you can take somewhere else one day or to you own venture. Also, if money is tight - you more than likely probably get a 50% discount on your food for either working or going in when someone called off (some places my offer free depending on the owner of the franchise). My dad always told me that if you have food, you can make it through anything. Working days are given to the long term people that been there a while. If you are listing on the application that you only want to work a few hours, that is no good to them.

LaraJF and Late Bloomer like this.
  3. shelton

shelton Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $151
    Not really I can't form paragraphs with words to save my life in most social situations. But I can explain concepts and other peoples thoughts pretty well.

4. shelton

Rep Bank:
    $151
    This is what I have so far I'm still thinking about what you said but I think it will take a while to find something new to say. I could try adding some stories but that would make this resume too long. I think I just need to answer the interview questions a lot better.

focusedlife likes this.
  5. Bishop

Bishop Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $503
    @shelton, have you ruled out joining the military?

It's only 4 years, and you could choose an MOS that you are interested in. I would suggest something like cyber security or something that would help you in the civilian world. Plus you get college tuition paid for when you get out, and it gives you job experience.

Or you could just work at Staples or McDonalds. Just a suggestion.

SquatchMan, Late Bloomer and loop101 like this.
  6. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $149,920
    I’ve only read the first few posts.

This thread and the two videos in it might help:

7. Singh

Singh Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $483
    I just got a copy of what color is your parachute from my local library. Great read and puts into perspective what employers are really looking for in an interview (something I have always had a hard time with).

I have noticed in my experience is to go direct and apply to jobs even if you are under experienced you never know, the worst they can do is say no so you are not any worse off.

example i give is I had a call with a recruiter who found my cv on a job portal and then had a lengthy chat asking experience etc. He then responded that you are not what the company is looking for, when asked who they were he did not tell me. Fine I thought and just googled the job description and found the company.

I found the job on their website of which I knew I was not experienced enough for but applied anyway at 7pm on Monday evening. They called me 9.15am the following day asking to interview me this coming Tuesday. Most people would have given up after the recruiter said no but this is a great example of what can happen if you just apply anyway.

Late Bloomer and Andy Black like this.
  8. Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,090
    Glad you liked it! And nice initiative getting past the recruiter's no.

Parachute is also very useful for people who want to do freelance consulting. The only difference is that when you meet with the person who has the power to hire you, it's for your project proposal, not for a direct job. Almost everything else works just the same, even the interview tips like don't talk about money until you've shown the value you can add.

I agree. I think the military might be great for Shelton. Someone else would tell him exactly what to do and how to do it, and over the course of a few years, he could learn how to develop his own initiative. By the time his service is over, he'd have a great sellable skill set, including mental focus and self-confidence.

I think that is awesome advice. When I worked fast food I saw that and you are so right, about scheduling and also about how it can show what it takes to have systems the work in business. Someone who carefully observed those lessons, while handing out burgers to customers (or pencils or cans of paint or phones or whatever), would never be lost at what it means that a Fastlane business needs to be scalable. They'd have seen scalability in action! But I'm not sure if Shelton would be able to really pick up on those learning opportunities at this point.
    Still a great way to make some immediate money though, if someone has enough energy and transportation to be on the closing shift.

Was that supposed to be clickable link? It just shows up as an underline for me.

Usually true but I don't know if Shelton actually has skills that will benefit the company. That's why I think the McDonald's and military suggestions are so strong. If you can show up and pay attention (and in the military, are physically fit), they can explain everything else and build up some skills in you. I think "I'm available" might be a stronger pitch for Shelton to make now, than any skills-based presentation.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  9. Late Bloomer

Rep Bank:
    $4,090
    Three suggestions:

1. Dale Carnegie course.

2. Toastmasters. You can visit some different clubs for free til you find one you like. Stick with it for a year to complete the intro to speaking book and the intro to leadership book. After that, you will never again be afraid to run a meeting and get up front to say a few words.

3. If you like explaining ideas from others, learn about sales and copywriting. Great threads here on these topics.

10. Late Bloomer

Rep Bank:
    $4,090
    Love the suggestion of coders using open source contribution to show their skills and that they are currently active, with or without a job.

It looks like this is your only post? Lots of great discussions on the forum here about business from a software guy's point of view. I hope you will stick around and participate, maybe get some help here with your own job search. What's your own technical background and what are you looking for, more specifically?

11. Late Bloomer

Rep Bank:
    $4,090
    I think Shelton's in NYC, so there should be plenty of government services, temp agencies, non-profits and churches he could readily get to with transit. What a great post with very specific advice on where he could turn for some up to date job guidance in person.

Mattie likes this.
  12. Dubidu

Dubidu Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $402
    Really like a lot of these super-helpful suggestions for @shelton. My two cents worth:

Follow what these very experienced people are telling you.

You have won two lotteries (1) You live in the western world (2) you have an internet connection - there is literally a world library at your fingertips for hardly any money at all (i.e. the price of an internet connection) and although it may not seem it you have one additional win (3) you live in NYC. There are tonnes of resources for free that you could utilise. Meet Ups are 10 a penny in big cities - find ones that interest you and is aligned to your goal (interview skills/meeting people who may well run their own business and therefore can give you a job). I must be the only weirdo who still uses her local library but look on any notice board there - see what free help they organise for young people looking for help in the employment market. Honestly, at this stage you really have no excuse. I get it: it's rough being rejected constantly but you have to suck it up and play the long game. Set action points every day to reach your goal and then hold yourself accountable. Report back every day on this thread if need be so you are accountable to us - your cheerleaders :). There is a lot of expertise on this Forum that you have access to for free - think of those positives!

If the military is not your thing - ignore that; only you know if you can stand being shouted at. I know I can't and my reflex would be to tell the commander to ''go away'' but in less than lady-like terms!

Best of luck Shelton - I hope to hear good news from you very soon :)

Late Bloomer likes this.
  13. shelton

Rep Bank:
    $151
    I'm guessing you didn't get the resume I posted so here. All I really need is a paragraph that can set me apart
    I decided to try applying to staples again even though i had no luck last time. I keep trying to find the right words to say but I cant seem to find the right ones so I decided to throw in moments of customer service or sales experience from my last jobs in.

14. shelton

Rep Bank:
    $151
    here's the resume.

Attached Files:

15. Dubidu

Dubidu Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $402
    It's not a bad idea to knock on Staples door again but equally I think you need to focus on getting your state of mind in the right place - your confidence (or lack of) will either let you in or let you out and your post doesn't sound very confident. Resume's aren't easy but there really is a tonne of free resource out there. Just utilise what @Latebloomer said: he's given you lots of helpful suggestions on how to 'pitch' the (currently) limited experience you have. In my experience the resume gets you through the door but if you can't find the words to sell yourself when you're in the interview you'll fall - I say that both from my experience as a newbie in the employment field many years ago and also now as someone who regularly interviews law/economics grads. Bottom line is: it'll be very obvious if you don't believe in yourself and the tone of your posts so far appear to be the result of repeated rejections but you need to reset that despondency and channel it to more of a kick-ass mindset! Don't just apply for jobs but actually book in to see/meet up with people just to practise your social skills and to be comfortable with who you are. I may have misread it but you sound quite isolated in this search - no man is an island and it's an excellent first step you've taken to 'rant' on this thread because it's yielded some phenomenally helpful responses but you can't just apply to Staples and sit back. What other things could you do that align you with your goal? What will the job need? Social skills - so practise them whenever, wherever. Go to the library and find the books suggested on this thread but also see if you can have a pleasant conversation with the person helping you - test them: are they good at customer service? If so, what did they do to help you that was 'good'? If they are disinterested and disengaged? Observe that and remind yourself not to be like that! Ditto coffee shop/sales environments - just observing will give you lots of good role models you can utilise. All good experience to get ready for the interview! And rehearse with someone when you get to the interview stage - google most common asked interview questions/toughest interview questions. Ask your friends to be the interviewer; ask them to ask you the toughest questions etc. and practise/practise/practise!

Late Bloomer and shelton like this.
  16. shelton

Rep Bank:
    $151
    I got a call from a company I decided to do research on the company and found out that it only had two employees. The word sales associate is different for every company. I've been trying to expand my options by going to different retail companies but no luck. I guess I might have to push the Law of Averages a little further

17. The-J

The-J Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $11,581
    Hi Shelton:

I'm glad you took our advice from your other thread and decided to pound the pavement and look for a job.

I'm also glad that you're finding that it's not as easy as people like to say it is.

I'm also glad that you've come back to take additional criticisms from members here. We're not exactly the nicest people around.

Your latest resume needs to be polished even more. Proper nouns must be capitalized (Eagle National, I assume, is the name of the company, so capitalize both words).

Drove up sales revenue of the company by 2% does not sound very impressive. Can you give a dollar figure that sounds more impressive? 20 phones a day sounds decent, but how well were other people doing? If you were selling 20 but everyone else was selling 40, then it kinda sounds like you're a low performer. So the line would look like "Sold on average 20 phones per day (company average: ##)"

Companies want salespeople who are high performers. They really have no use for low performing sales people. They also want someone who can communicate persuasively and

If you've got a good GPA at school (above a 3), include that. Also include an expected graduation date + what kind of degree you're working toward.

Keep pushing forward. You already have a janitor job, you've done a sales job, now getting a better sales job will help you bring some money in.

Another tip: if you wanna develop serious sales chops & learn how to take a beating, get a commission only sales job on the side. Selling stuff like residential solar panels, landscaping, cable services, credit card offers... that kind of thing. Finding them is really easy (they're on the shady side and often post 'entry level marketing/sales' jobs; they brag about having a 'fast track to promotion' and requiring 'no experience), and all they're looking for is someone with a pulse and some brass balls to go out and sell for them.

If you can last more than 3 months there, and actually make more than minimum wage doing it, then I promise you; you'll be a selling machine.

Late Bloomer and shelton like this.
  18. shelton

Rep Bank:
    $151
    I am trying to break in to retail as a sales or stock associate. I managed to get an interview with the last shitty resume I had. I thought adding any form of experience related to customer service or talking to people would let me go further but now I seem to be regressing not progressing.

The-J likes this.
  19. MelanitaD

MelanitaD New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $87
    @shelton - The folks here have been super generous with advice, so I'm sure you've gotten plenty. If you'd like hands-on help with your resume, happy to donate a half hour to tweaking it with you in real time. Inbox me.

One other thought is to get volunteer experience now, especially if you can't find a job. Even if you just work a week or two for a soup kitchen or something, you'll have someone who can vouch for your work ethic and something else to put on your resume. I know it's hard because you need to make money, but it's a start.

One last thought: if you're having trouble with "big box" employers like Target and Walgreens, maybe start with a small business owner (a local bakery, a barbershop sweeping floors, etc.). You might make them an offer they can't refuse: how about I work for you, for free, for a full day and then you decide whether to give me a chance. A lot of small business owners would be floored by that offer, and might give you a try.

Late Bloomer likes this.
  20. loop101

loop101 Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,391
    This whole thread seems weird. I don't want to discourage anyone from pursuing MJ's Fastlane methodology, but it sounds like Shelton needs to be talking to a government job placement service. There are government employees whose jobs is to help struggling people find jobs. His "vision" seems to (understandably) be to put food on the table. If his "vision" was to be impacting millions even though he would often be in a rough spot, it would be completely different. I would encourage him to get a "day job" (like he is working on), stabilize his life, and then learn about the Fastlane methodology.

Late Bloomer likes this.
  21. Rich Wood

Rich Wood Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $122
    The resume is only one piece in the hunt for the best job for you. I hire and let go on average about 20 people a year. The main thing I look for is good communication skills, a positive attitude, the ability to learn and contribute, with a drive for success. Most of what you will need in your job, you'll learn on the job, but the soft-skills will get you in the door.
    Also, have you tried Indeed.com or linked-in. Both are resources I use to find people regularly.
    Also, ask your social network, friends, family, others what they do, and if they would recommend you.
    Connect with fellow alumni from your network, neighborhood or town.
    Ask for mentoring advice from employers you may want to work for.
    Attend job-fairs, city chamber of commerce events, networking events, and if you go back to school be-sure to work with the career services group.
    All of these will get you a job working for someone else, but to be free of this, learn your skills, select an entrepreneurial route and pursue it with vigor.
    Finally, if you don't ask, you won't get. Shoot for the moon, and if you land on a star you are good. Don't peg yourself into one job, or one role. Be constantly evolving and adapting to the market, and search out where your talents can best be compensated.
    Crazy idea - would be to even attend a few meet-up's in New York, make some friends and then have them refer you to their companies, they may even get a bonus if you get hired.
    Best of luck

Late Bloomer likes this.
  22. shelton

Rep Bank:
    $151
    I keep going on indeed but I just keep getting rejected. I have no friends right now so I need to find smaller companies. I will keep adapting and changing. I've been researching companies and job questions for the jobs I want like Sales Associate, Stock Associate and even Receptionist but they are hard to find and even hard to answer. I want to go to a retail store but the saturation is killing me. I applied for many different Staples and McDonalds stores and they each seem to have these long interview processes.

How do I figure out how to appeal to different companies when I can't find enough information. Maybe I'm overthinking this but I could take the time to just think about this.

23. Late Bloomer

Rep Bank:
    $4,090
    That's covered in Parachute, in detail! It's the entire last third of the book! You go talk with people who are doing the kind of work you're interested in, to learn more about what it takes to do that kind of work. In those conversations you DO NOT ask for or expect a job offer. Then once you learn where you would MOST like to work, and you understand from talking with people why you have the MOST to offer them, you go talk to the person who can hire you, whether or not they've advertising a job opening. He does not leave you guessing how to do it, he spells it out exactly in thorough step by step detail. The first few chapters of Parachute go into very thorough description of why reacting to a mass-advertised job posting from a big company is the worst possible way to do a job hunt. And in the middle is what you need to understand about yourself to make this approach work for you. If you haven't read the book yet, you really should!