The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm having a hard time starting my own business.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Abel Morales

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Oct 23, 2015
So I'm trying to start my own business and I'm having a real hard time figuring out what I need to do in order to be completely legal.

I've filed for my DBA (Doing Business As) and maybe I'll get something in the mail in a few weeks as a result?

I don't know how many of you have experience in this area, but if you have any tips or sources to help make this clear for me, I would appreciate it beyond belief. I think once I get the creation of the business down, I can start focusing on the fun stuff (ie marketing, growing etc)

Really, any advice whatsoever that you can give.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Abel Morales

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Oct 23, 2015
Thanks Dave. Believe it or not, I've tried doing that and I can't seem to find anything concrete. I'm really struggling with the specifics of making everything legal.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Hmmm. If this is tripping you up you may not be cut out for this. :mooned:

Contact the Missouri Secretary of State by phone and ask them. Or visit their website. Download the documents you need for the type of entity you want to create (Incorporated, Corporation, LLC, partnership, etc). Fill them out and take them to the SoS with the payment required.

Done.

Move on to real business issues.

Abel Morales

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Oct 23, 2015
Hmmm. If this is tripping you up you may not be cut out for this.

Contact the Missouri Secretary of State by phone and ask them. Or visit their website. Download the documents you need for the type of entity you want to create (Incorporated, Corporation, LLC, partnership, etc). Fill them out and take them to the SoS with the payment required.

Done.

Move on to real business issues.

Feels like a real business issue to me! lol.

Anyway thanks man. I've been to the SoS site a few times, but I'll dig around some more. Sounds like I must be missing something.

Dave510

Reversing
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 16, 2014
Thanks Dave. Believe it or not, I've tried doing that and I can't seem to find anything concrete. I'm really struggling with the specifics of making everything legal.

Is there something specific you're struggling with? What information do you feel is missing?

It's probably good practice to try to figure something out, even if it's not on the internet. Sometimes a phone call can surprise you in how effective it is.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Do you even need to legalize a business entity yet?

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
In california, all you need is:

DBA (filed with the county) (unless you're doing business under your legal name)
advertise your fictitious business name statement in the cheapest paper you can find (the county should provide you with a list)
Bring the paperwork you get from all this to a bank and set up a business bank account under your new name
Depending on your city, get a business license from the city

That is it...you're now in business.

Don't worry if you haven't done everything 100% correct...once you're actually making money, you can hire a lawyer to review everything for you.

No one, including the IRS, local government, etc. cares about you unless you're making decent money through your business.

ModernAlpha

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
May 3, 2016
Long Island, New York
This isn't a legal forum, but I'd also add that your original post is kinda vague. What state are you in? What type of business is it? Some businesses require licenses and/or insurance like contractors or real estate agents. And also depending on the type of business, a DBA might not protect you enough and for instance an LLC may be a better choice for you. There are no exact legal business answers that apply to everyone, each case is different.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
If this is really tripping you out, or if there are some regulations regarding your specific business that make the process more difficult, talk to a lawyer. It'll cost you some money, but it will be more worth it than relying on advice from an Internet forum.

4x4ord

It's all about freedom
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Sep 28, 2015
If you don't need a legal business entity right off that bat, I would wait until you have your business path tested and somewhat mature.

I immediately formed an LLC before I sold my first product. Over the course of 6 months, my strategy has changed and my LLC business name no longer fits what I'm doing. Now I need to go through the process of changing my business LLC name, bank account, EIN, etc.

Don't rush in. Start making money first, then figure out the details. You can make yourself awfully "busy" with adminstrivia like this, which keeps you from making concrete steps towards a real business (ie; making sales).

The book "Ready, Fire, Aim" talks to this theory and may be valuable to you at this point.

wbrett1027

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Feb 15, 2015
By naming the type of business with details would help..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.