The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Don't want to finish my uni degree, want to focus on starting my own business

Anything related to matters of the mind

Pearso

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
May 22, 2019
Hey there,

Ill tell you a little about myself before I get into what I have been struggling with for the past few years.

I am in my early 20s, currently studying a Bachelor of Business majoring in Financial Planning. Previous to this, I have tried doing 3 other courses. First year out I was a bit lost but I sort of had an idea of what I thought I wanted to do. I went on and studied a Bachelor of Criminology and IT as I was very interested in Cyber Security at the time. I only studied this for about a semester, got really bored of studying and always got distracted onto other tasks such as finding ideas for business's or designing mock up logos and websites. After that, I took another Semester off and the next year went on to study Bachelor of Property Economics. I didn't enjoy that course which has now led me to changing to a Financial Planning degree, I enjoyed it for about a month, however, now am getting really sick of the full weeks of study and feel like I could focus on something I have always enjoyed such as starting a business. (Also my hex debt is starting to build up and I am not gaining anything out of it)

From day dot I have always had everything fairly easy. I have been brought up being handed most things, little chores here and there but generally I have been really lucky with it all. Although I am very grateful, I feel like being handed money and everything pretty easily has affected the motivation side of things for me, especially in the last few years. Struggling to get through a semester of uni, getting distracted by little side hustles none of which have been successful or gone too far into development. I know that I can do it but it's always been little road blocks then me falling into a rut which pushes me back down to the start again.

Another thing that I am struggling with is always having wanted to make my parents proud. This is only just getting harder as they are very University orientated. They think that the best way to be successful is through University. They have always known about my entrepreneurial side and supported me but I am getting older and me constantly throwing new idea's away is getting old. I really want to really prove that I can start a business and show them that you don't necessarily need a degree to be successful.

I have been reading the Millionaire Fastlane and it has inspired me to come on here and make a post about myself. I would love if you could comment with some tips and any motivation techniques you find that are helpful in the beginning stages of starting a business. I seem to always have an idea, stick with it for a week or two then run into a problem with it and move onto another idea. It is almost a cycle for me and is starting to affect every aspect of my life.

Anyway, I hope I can relate to some people and would love to hear back. Happy to answer more questions if you need a better understanding as well :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Hanabi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Jan 22, 2022
Florida
Hey there,

Ill tell you a little about myself before I get into what I have been struggling with for the past few years.

I am in my early 20s, currently studying a Bachelor of Business majoring in Financial Planning. Previous to this, I have tried doing 3 other courses. First year out I was a bit lost but I sort of had an idea of what I thought I wanted to do. I went on and studied a Bachelor of Criminology and IT as I was very interested in Cyber Security at the time. I only studied this for about a semester, got really bored of studying and always got distracted onto other tasks such as finding ideas for business's or designing mock up logos and websites. After that, I took another Semester off and the next year went on to study Bachelor of Property Economics. I didn't enjoy that course which has now led me to changing to a Financial Planning degree, I enjoyed it for about a month, however, now am getting really sick of the full weeks of study and feel like I could focus on something I have always enjoyed such as starting a business. (Also my hex debt is starting to build up and I am not gaining anything out of it)

From day dot I have always had everything fairly easy. I have been brought up being handed most things, little chores here and there but generally I have been really lucky with it all. Although I am very grateful, I feel like being handed money and everything pretty easily has affected the motivation side of things for me, especially in the last few years. Struggling to get through a semester of uni, getting distracted by little side hustles none of which have been successful or gone too far into development. I know that I can do it but it's always been little road blocks then me falling into a rut which pushes me back down to the start again.

Another thing that I am struggling with is always having wanted to make my parents proud. This is only just getting harder as they are very University orientated. They think that the best way to be successful is through University. They have always known about my entrepreneurial side and supported me but I am getting older and me constantly throwing new idea's away is getting old. I really want to really prove that I can start a business and show them that you don't necessarily need a degree to be successful.

I have been reading the Millionaire Fastlane and it has inspired me to come on here and make a post about myself. I would love if you could comment with some tips and any motivation techniques you find that are helpful in the beginning stages of starting a business. I seem to always have an idea, stick with it for a week or two then run into a problem with it and move onto another idea. It is almost a cycle for me and is starting to affect every aspect of my life.

Anyway, I hope I can relate to some people and would love to hear back. Happy to answer more questions if you need a better understanding as well :)
Hello,
So what are you asking for? To quit or stay in uni? You said you want to show your parents that you can do start a successful business without a degree, so you answered your own question, right?

Here's my perspective as a senior in college. For an aspiring entrenpreneur, college should only be pursued if it is going to help you succeed in the particular business venture you decide to do. I'm creating a skin health/skincare app for my venture. In my case, I'm majoring in communication and media. I haven't learned anything that I can't already find on the internet; however, I need a bachelors to get into my desired grad program, cosmetic science. If I get into this program, I'm going to learn to analyze and interpret scientific data, learn the ins and outs cosmetics industry, network extensively with industry professionals and scientists who will possibly work with me in creating educational content for the app users. All these things will help me create a better service for my future users. I won't be set back at all financially at all, because my parents are paying for my entire education, which I'm grateful. I only have pros in my scenario.

Evaluate the pros and cons with your situation. If the cons outweighs the positives, then it's a sign uni isn't the best path for you. If you decide to stay in college, make the best out of it by experiencing many new things and b extensively networking with professors and collegemates. Ultimately, you need to decide for yourself what is best for you regardless of what others say.

I changed my major a few times too. I wish it wasn't so many times! Oh well, I can't go back time and change the past. If you are trying to find a CENTS/CENTS business model. My thread I made might help you:
How I Found My CENTS Business Model. Tips to Help YOU Find Yours.

Good luck!

D

DeletedUser84644

Don't drop out. Finish the marathon that you started. Unless you want to live with your parents until you're 40, you will need to have a slow lane first before you can have a fastlane. Your perpetual idea hopping is a sign that you don't know how to properly find ideas worth executing that have a good chance of working out and netting the results you want. You should have chosen a major that has clear high market demand (Such as STEM for example) when you had first enrolled into university instead of just making your studies oriented around your passion so that way you can have much better odds at landing a slow lane job. See my thread for further clarification on how to get started:

Tony100

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 11, 2020
I enjoyed it for about a month, however, now am getting really sick of the full weeks of study and feel like I could focus on something I have always enjoyed such as starting a business.
If you start a business, you might enjoy it just for a month then want to do something else. You need self-discipline.

I would continue with the degree but try to build a business on the side. If the business becomes successful then you can take a year out. If the business is still successful at the end of the year out, then you can quit university.

With the lack of motivation, you need a backup to entrepreneurship. A degree would give you more options if it turns out starting a business isn't for you.

I started a business while at university then dropped out when the business hit good revenue. More than 3 years later and it is still going well. Initially I took a gap year to limit the risk. Being at university provided the connections, personal growth and resources that led me to starting the business.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Hey there,

Hey dude, I had to leave a reply cause I think you're making some critical mistakes, here is my take on what you wrote:

1) You don't know what you want to do in life, and you're bouncing a round with different degrees, trying to strike something that you will like. Seems like you have shiny object syndrome, you are bouncing from one thing to the next. One thing to know man, Uni is boring as hell all the studying and shit, even if you like the subject (it will help if you like it, but ultimately will likely be boring. Trust me I've been there). Unless you know exactly what you want to do in Uni, it doesn't make sense to keep spending time there in my opinion.

This is in my opinion hands down the biggest mistake that you are making. Stop bouncing around, stick to one thing and don't quit unless it makes logical sense. It will probably take a few years before you accomplish anything significant, and this includes having a successful business.

2) You think business will be fun. You will be in for a rude shock, business is perhaps some of the most boring shit you will do. The start can be exciting, until you realize all the boring marketing that you need to do day in and day out. I thought I'd let you know so you have the right expectation if you decide to drop out.

What Tony said above was spot on: "If you start a business, you might enjoy it just for a month then want to do something else. You need self-discipline."

A summary of action steps for you to take if you want to see some serious improvement in your life:

* Stop bouncing around from idea to idea and just choose 1 idea (this is why you are stuck in a cycle)
* Don't think that business will always be a fun venture, it's full of grueling work
* Consider not going to Uni if you don't know what you want to do as you could keep burning money

Hope this helps man, I understand your position, it's tough but I believe in you.

Pearso

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
May 22, 2019
Hello,
So what are you asking for? To quit or stay in uni? You said you want to show your parents that you can do start a successful business without a degree, so you answered your own question, right?

Here's my perspective as a senior in college. For an aspiring entrenpreneur, college should only be pursued if it is going to help you succeed in the particular business venture you decide to do. I'm creating a skin health/skincare app for my venture. In my case, I'm majoring in communication and media. I haven't learned anything that I can't already find on the internet; however, I need a bachelors to get into my desired grad program, cosmetic science. If I get into this program, I'm going to learn to analyze and interpret scientific data, learn the ins and outs cosmetics industry, network extensively with industry professionals and scientists who will possibly work with me in creating educational content for the app users. All these things will help me create a better service for my future users. I won't be set back at all financially at all, because my parents are paying for my entire education, which I'm grateful. I only have pros in my scenario.

Evaluate the pros and cons with your situation. If the cons outweighs the positives, then it's a sign uni isn't the best path for you. If you decide to stay in college, make the best out of it by experiencing many new things and b extensively networking with professors and collegemates. Ultimately, you need to decide for yourself what is best for you regardless of what others say.

I changed my major a few times too. I wish it wasn't so many times! Oh well, I can't go back time and change the past. If you are trying to find a CENTS/CENTS business model. My thread I made might help you:
How I Found My CENTS Business Model. Tips to Help YOU Find Yours.

Good luck!

Don't drop out. Finish the marathon that you started. Unless you want to live with your parents until you're 40, you will need to have a slow lane first before you can have a fastlane. Your perpetual idea hopping is a sign that you don't know how to properly find ideas worth executing that have a good chance of working out and netting the results you want. You should have chosen a major that has clear high market demand (Such as STEM for example) when you had first enrolled into university instead of just making your studies oriented around your passion so that way you can have much better odds at landing a slow lane job. See my thread for further clarification on how to get started:

If you start a business, you might enjoy it just for a month then want to do something else. You need self-discipline.

I would continue with the degree but try to build a business on the side. If the business becomes successful then you can take a year out. If the business is still successful at the end of the year out, then you can quit university.

With the lack of motivation, you need a backup to entrepreneurship. A degree would give you more options if it turns out starting a business isn't for you.

I started a business while at university then dropped out when the business hit good revenue. More than 3 years later and it is still going well. Initially I took a gap year to limit the risk. Being at university provided the connections, personal growth and resources that led me to starting the business.

Hey dude, I had to leave a reply cause I think you're making some critical mistakes, here is my take on what you wrote:

1) You don't know what you want to do in life, and you're bouncing a round with different degrees, trying to strike something that you will like. Seems like you have shiny object syndrome, you are bouncing from one thing to the next. One thing to know man, Uni is boring as hell all the studying and shit, even if you like the subject (it will help if you like it, but ultimately will likely be boring. Trust me I've been there). Unless you know exactly what you want to do in Uni, it doesn't make sense to keep spending time there in my opinion.

This is in my opinion hands down the biggest mistake that you are making. Stop bouncing around, stick to one thing and don't quit unless it makes logical sense. It will probably take a few years before you accomplish anything significant, and this includes having a successful business.

2) You think business will be fun. You will be in for a rude shock, business is perhaps some of the most boring shit you will do. The start can be exciting, until you realize all the boring marketing that you need to do day in and day out. I thought I'd let you know so you have the right expectation if you decide to drop out.

What Tony said above was spot on: "If you start a business, you might enjoy it just for a month then want to do something else. You need self-discipline."

A summary of action steps for you to take if you want to see some serious improvement in your life:

* Stop bouncing around from idea to idea and just choose 1 idea (this is why you are stuck in a cycle)
* Don't think that business will always be a fun venture, it's full of grueling work
* Consider not going to Uni if you don't know what you want to do as you could keep burning money

Hope this helps man, I understand your position, it's tough but I believe in you.

Really appreciate all the messages. I quoted them all into one reply as most of them are generally saying the same thing.

I have taken the replies in and I will try my best to stick to one thing. Sounds as though self-discipline is something I could improve on and I can completely agree with that.

Another thing that I think I need to work on is being honest with myself and (something I learnt in the Millionaire Fastlane ) before acting in a way that could benefit me now, or tomorrow, act in a way that could benefit me in the future.

Again, thanks for the replies. Already this forum has given me so much knowledge :)

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Really appreciate all the messages. I quoted them all into one reply as most of them are generally saying the same thing.

I have taken the replies in and I will try my best to stick to one thing. Sounds as though self-discipline is something I could improve on and I can completely agree with that.

Another thing that I think I need to work on is being honest with myself and (something I learnt in the Millionaire Fastlane ) before acting in a way that could benefit me now, or tomorrow, act in a way that could benefit me in the future.

Again, thanks for the replies. Already this forum has given me so much knowledge :)
100% man, if I focused on 1 thing 5 years ago, I'm pretty certain I would be making money now. Remember when you pick one thing, it can open up so many other awesome doors that you're not aware of. For example, if you decide you want to do copywriting as a side hustle.

By having this experience you can get a job in copywriting (talk working at a job where you will do something productive and keep fueling your learning), you can start a youtube channel on how to make money with copywriting, write a book, make your own podcast, so many options it's crazy.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Hey there,

To be honest if you cannot handle university, as you described that it "bores you", business is going to be 5-10x harder.

You do not have to "enjoy" the course. Your job is to get reasonable grade, using minimum time. Who cares if it is useful or enjoyable? If one day you find that you need it for an opportunity and you don't have it, it is too late. Just using that to answer to your parents is going to provide enough usefulness.

If you are already running a business that is generate good cash every month and you want to pause your study, then we will be having a different conversation. But until then it is good to conquer one goal at a time. If money is not an issue to you due to your family circumstances, doing a side-hustle along with study should be manageable.

Last edited:

Custmrserv4life

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 6, 2022
Hey there,

Good day, what I would do is, look at your uni degree, where could it take you? Opportunities? Not just yours but the market opportunities as well. With starting your business what are your goals of doing so? I think it is natural to be optimistic and also want to have your parents to be proud of you. That is a misnomer, our parents are there to help us but in terms of business unless your parents have been successful business owners than you need to ask professionals in the field that have done it. Uni unless for very specific degrees is useless, you can learn more online and out in the real world with a real job than every before. At the end of the day your decision needs to be this, who are you doing this for, yourself or your parents? The old way of the slow lane is ingrained in so many of us worldwide, from our parents, friends, coworkers, society! MJ's next book

UNSCRIPTED : Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Entrepreneurship​

is what you need to read, it will really help you out as it did me and here I am at MJ's forum doing what I do best, inspire people to think outside their comfort zone and see their true potential! I'm here if you need me! :)

CrimsonNight

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Dec 4, 2017
SWEDEN
If you are a fast learner you might be able to keep up with the course by dedicating just one or two days per week to studies. Ever since I started university I have only been to a lecture once and never went there again because I was learning much more and faster by just reading the books myself. And I am studying Computer Science, so not exactly the easiest degree but I still managed to do it.

This resulted in me having 5-6 days per week to focus on my business. (Some weeks will be less due to the sheer workload of the labs but I generally try to keep school stuff to a max of three days per week of my time.)

Now let's talk about business.

Just a few weeks ago I was in the same position as you. Tried different ventures but none of them went anywhere. They might have succeeded if I tried harder but the reality is I didn't. And why is that? After reflecting on it for a few days I have concluded the most important factor:

Lack of Feedback

The Desert of Desertion

Most business ideas I had (mainly SaaS/apps/games) require far too much initial investment upfront with no guarantee for getting even ONE positive feedback like sales. (Opinions from free beta tester are only so-so. They can never replace the real deal.)

So what did I do? I gave up on that stuff for now. I am too impatient for this.

I need a sale NOW, and not a few weeks later.

Thus, I decided to freelance.

You get immediate feedback and that rush of dopamine after successfully closing a deal.

It doesn't have to be freelance. Any boring business will do like mowing the lawn, cleaning houses/apartments/..., painting, art commission, repair phones/computers and so on.

The thing is, when you are a beginner at this entrepreneur stuff, what you need the most is the feedback of a sale. The experience of selling things. Anything.

And the fastest way to accomplish that is to exchange your own time for money. Labour for cash.

What are you good at and can offer as a service right NOW?

Sell that.

After reading this, try to reach out to people close to you and ask if they need help with XXX (things you are good at) and if you don't know anybody who might need your help, then it's time to relentlessly search for the ones who do. (Believe me, I was in this situation. I have only one friend and close to no connections that I could use.)

If you cannot even get one sale by doing this then it might be better to focus 100% on getting a university degree instead of running a business.

Let us know by the end of next week how it went.

Happyheart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Dec 11, 2020
As a university student, many years ago, I would have said the same as Hanabi, who tells you that anything you can learn at your university, you could learn from youtube and books. What I did not realize back then, is that you don't go to university for the knowledge only (or for the stamp on your diploma for that matter), but for the connections. See, I sailed through medical school without attending any seminars, with minimal studying and only doing the obligatory labs. I finished in the top 10% of my year, had much free time on my hands for other projects (except during hospital rotations, understandably) and was proud of myself for doing so well and spending so little time studying.

What I later realized, much later, is that I failed to make meaningful connections during my time in med school. I am a scientist and an entrepreneur now and it would be of great benefit to me, if I had the opportunity to call my med school buddy, the endocrinologist / surgeon general / professor of pathology / ... to take part in one of my desired projects. I may have to contact people I don't know and who may or may not be sympathetic, competent etc.

Please realize, that you can use your time in university to make meaningful connections with people who will sit at the levers of power 20 years from now. That funny, but obnoxious guy in your student association will go on to be president of xy organization and that cute girl at the other side of the university cafeteria will be the CEO of a million dollar company. And your friend may be the one, who will connect you to an important client to do business with.

The second reason to stay in university is to learn to keep going when the going is tough. If you quit, because you are a quitter, you will never have a good business, because in each and every profession we will sometimes have to do things we don't like. That's why it is called work. Because we wouldn't do it if we weren't paid.

What you should do is connect with the few students who are serious about studying and work together to study. And also do do not forget to go to parties - these will be back in a few weeks, as Covid is losing - and connect with the not-so-serious students who are sociable and well-connected, because they will probably be well connected after university as well. As a side hustle, you can experiment with various projects and when you rake in millions, you may want to think again about quitting, but at this time, as you are asking us for permission to stop your studies, only a month in, without a real plan, the answer is no, get your act together and you may thank us later.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.