• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Trading Life for a Weekend?
    Build a Business, Build a Life.
    Unleash the Dream.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is an entrepreneurial business strategy that unleashes dreams, frees time, and explodes your incomes—but more importantly, it changes your life forever. Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.

FREE Download (Unscripted) FREE Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

I think I'm going to delete all Social Apps, is it good?

Discussion in 'People & Relationships' started by alan3wilson, Sep 3, 2017.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
  1. Greg Rutkowski

Greg Rutkowski Act, Assess, Adjust Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,979
    Take away your opinion of social media and strip it down to what it really is, a tool.

Like money, fame, health, and this forum, social media is external to you. Whether it exists is not up to you. But you can change your opinion of it. Yesterday's hindrance can be today's tool that you can leverage for your benefit.

Good luck.

2. Aaron T

Aaron T Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,738
    I was never able to do this since that was how I started one FB business Page, but I created a new account strictly for business and it isn't linked and it has it's own profile. I had Business Account Manager at FB help me with it and I had that relationship already with FB through my other profile. How easy this is normally I have no idea. I suspect they are still linked at FB in the backend and just not shown to me in the tools I have access to.

3. ReubenA

ReubenA Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $411
    I..

- turned off all notifications from my phone
    - unfollowed and un-liked everything on Facebook, my newsfeed is blank. There's an online app somewhere for this, look it up
    - deleted Facebook app, only use messenger

works well.

I tried completely deleting all social media but it didn't last long. I have FB login for so many things, no access to events, no access to people I wanted to talk to on messenger

Twitter, Instagram etc. I see no point in

Laughingman21 likes this.
  4. millerad

millerad Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $443
    I think that social media apps are important. I use them to promote my business and much less to talk with friends. Still can be a time suck though.

Laughingman21 and Bottomsouth like this.
  5. Paul Thomas

Paul Thomas Bronze Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,628
    Delete the apps, keep your profiles. Login from desktop when it is necessary. Most of the time its not.

Laughingman21 likes this.
  6. MattR82

MattR82 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,340
    Every year or so I delete anyone who is not really a friend, turn off notifications, unfollow friends that I need to keep but dont need to see their feed (travelling the last few years so actually kinda need it). Now my feed is mainly concerned with things I'm interestsd in learning about, and it really works for me. Joining groups on topics I'm interested in is for some reason engaging for me. ie crypto, seo and DM, web dev, whatever.

Andy Black likes this.
  7. Bottomsouth

Bottomsouth New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $46
    I did and regret that decision years later. Most of my business comes from an online presence and I do construction.

jasoncuellar123 likes this.
  8. Laughingman21

Laughingman21 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $311
    I deleted the apps a while back and I have no regrets. I've kept my Facebook profile, but that's only so I can check-in with a few groups that are relevant to my business. I always try to log out ASAP after getting what I need from the group or offering some help, otherwise I find the news feed too depressing.

Another thing I'd recommend is blocking news websites. You'll find yourself feeling much happier and that actually 95% of the "important" news you used to read actually had no impact on you other than to make you feel down.

I've also deleted all the apps off my phone that used to suck time out of my life (e.g. games). I now just pick up my phone to use it for a particular task, not to just pass time when I'm feeling bored. I can't tell you how much more relaxed I feel. I'm of little doubt that a LOT of people are addicted to their smart phones and have no idea of the detrimental effects it's having on their life.

9. Sander

Sander But I get up again... Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $325
    Deleted apps like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc. on my phone and blocked the sites in Chrome on my computer with GFW.

I've been thinking about blocking a site like Facebook for a long time, but every time I had excuses like "oh no, what if I miss something" or "it's neccessary for event invitations". Turns out that I don't miss a thing except for a lot of noise, distractions and comparing my life to other peoples lifes.

When you turn off all the inputs from other people, and you stop comparing yourself with them, you start to focus on yourself. Often I could get a "oh man, he is so fit, why can't I be so fit?" moment or a "look how much she travels, why can't I travel just as much?" moment and feel sorry for myself, but without knowing what everyone is doing all the time, you get time to actually focus on developing yourself and moving towards your goals. It's quiet nice.

Also blocked all the news sites I could read 10 times a day or even more. Because "ooh, what if I miss something?"...

It's funny though. I will hear the important news anyways from a friend or on the radio when I drive. 99,9% of the news doesn't affect me anyways. I used to be glued to the screen every time there was a terror attack, reading all the breaking news. Just a couple of weeks ago I would have used hours to read about an attack like the one in Vegas. When it happened the other day, I only knew about it because of a thread here on this forum. And I only used 1 minute reading about it. It's thousand of miles away from me. Doesn't affect my day at all.

Even blocking this forum from around 8-9 am to 17-18 pm, because I started to read instead of doing. There's so much gold in here, that I can read for hours every day, with my brain crunching ideas out every time I get here, but right now I don't need new ideas. I actually don't need inspiration. I have something to do. So I'm working on that instead of getting excited with new, awesome ideas. They can wait. Specially after I've learned how to get ideas in seconds anyway.

And I'm working on blocking my mail too and only been looking at it in the morning and late afternoon. People don't answer me faster than that, so I don't have to look at my mail every 5 minutes.

With all these apps on my phone, I could use litterally hours every day staring at it. Now I use it for podcasts, checking my mail now and then and... that's really it. If you can't make it work with a smartphone, buy an old cellphone instead. I thought about this, but I can make it work with a normal smartphone, if I delete all the social apps.

It's a interesting topic, and I can recommend you to take a look at how much time you actually waste on this. It's scary.

10. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $225,790
    Admin Post
    I've said this elsewhere. I'm forced to use the apps because my audience uses them.

Otherwise I would have ditched everything years ago.

Unfortunately for many entrepreneurs, deleting social media is like a salesman deleting the telephone 30 years ago.

You can do it, but your business will probably suffer.

Jurica22, YanC, Andy Black and 8 others like this.
  11. Daniel A

Daniel A DIESEL Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,203
    I regret not adding all the people I've met the past years on social media platforms. I don't think I ever stated my MBTI personality type here on the forum, but I do have an introverted tendency. So I'm naturally not posting everything I do on social media. Even if the things I'm doing are "cool" I'm perfectly fine not posting it on social media. I don't have nearly the same need for seeking validation via social media as the majority of my peers.

But it gets attention and attention could be used to your benefit, so I'm trying to develop the habit of posting more often. I've only recently started using a select few social media platforms, and as a college student, it's the best way to stay in touch with your peers in the long run. Millennial girls scope out your social media accounts too. There's that.

Of course, for business it's powerful. You undoubtedly already know that. So instead of deleting them why not learn how to best leverage social media platforms to benefit your personal life and business? Tai Lopez is a master at that. He's living the "good life" and using social media to put his life on public display is helping him much more than it's hurting him.

12. Steve F

Steve F Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $594
    My facebook account was blocked or something a few weeks ago. I found out today. I don't know why; I had exactly one post, a poem I wrote years ago (before I stopped drinking, haha) that even I didn't understand. I am not interested in re-opening or fixing my account as I can't really figure out what Facebook would do for me. Or, for that matter, how it would allow me to help others (trying to stay all "producer" here).

I just downgraded LinkedIn to the free version. I realized I had never used the premium features and have paid $60.month for almost a year. What a waste.

I have never used Twitter, Whatsapp, Instagram, Pinterest, etc.

I do use BBM to keep in touch with my extended family.

I have a good slowlane and a life... working on a fastlane now, will adopt social media or any other technology as required...

13. Steve F

Steve F Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $594
    That's a good point. As an INTJ I probably find it easier than others to do without.

Kingmaker and Daniel A like this.
  14. ksc23

ksc23 Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,142
    I've been clean from FB for ~5 years now. Never got into the latest apps like Periscope, Snapchat, Pinterest, etc.

A couple of weeks ago I hopped onto Twitter to follow web & blockchain developers.

My biggest mistake was following Trump's account. Reading the comments => immediate spike in cortisol levels.

Use responsibly or don't use at all!

Longinus likes this.
  15. SirPsychoSexy

SirPsychoSexy Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $467
    Deleting social app would be suicide for my ventures and my networking. What I do: I get rid of all notifications, except for important things, like message from individuals and message request. I block notifications for group chats and such. And if you can't control the time spent on social app like Facebook, the problem is not the app but yourself.

Daniel A and Andy Black like this.
  16. Vanderbilt

Vanderbilt Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,567
    true. But are you using it in private life?

17. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $125,106
    Facebook is *amazing*. I've only been using it in anger for a couple of years. I've connected with people I've not seen in years. They've all got families now and it's great to see the few photos of them.

Then there's the groups of likeminded people. Personally I prefer to be in groups where I can help people, and Facebook has a lot of them, as well as this forum.

I don't get Twitter, don't use Instagram, was using Snapchat as an app to create videos, and connect with people on LinkedIn who know me from TFLF or Facebook groups I'm a nuisance in.

I've moved FB and LI onto the second screen on my phone so I don't see the alerts unless I intend seeing the alerts.

I'm able to post here, there and everywhere whilst running my business and raising 3 kids. It's just the sand that fits between the rocks in my day.

I spend a lot of time on social media, and the main thing I get out of it is the satisfaction of helping people, which also helps me learn what people are stuck on, and what can help them.

I get soooo many leads and referrals from just chattering away. I could stop but think I should go deeper instead. I enjoy it and have turned it into something that helps my business.

Turn your time on social media into a positive. Into something that helps your business.

What would your business look like if you embraced your tendencies?

I even created a thread on it:

carlos_, YanC and MattR82 like this.
  18. KaaiFX

KaaiFX New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $32
    I was thinking about doing this but instead just unfollowed all the Biased News outlets promoting hate etc... I now only follow Reuters who seem to be unbiased on their news channels. But don't even think about reading the comments. It seems that everyone on Facebook is boiling with hate for our President and anything that deals with US Amendments. I don't particularly follow a certain side in politics. I'm a Currency and Stock trader, and only worry about the worlds Economics and block out all that distraction.

19. RayAndré

RayAndré Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $640
    if anything, at least disable the notifications so you don't get distracted during your day. "avoid the attraction of distraction."
    if there's one you don't use for anything productive, remove it. that was snapchat for me.
    For the others, start using them in a more productive way. I recently started posting questions on Facebook that are related to my app, kinda like mini surveys to my friends.

carlos_, Laughingman21 and Andy Black like this.
  20. carlos_

carlos_ Not at the table Carlos Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $768
    How about not following news at all?

There's never actionable content in the news. And if something is really that important, people around you will talk about it and there will be no avoiding it:

Vegas shooting, people were talking about it here, and at work, so I found out, and chose to go online and read an article about the subject. The other day there was a brush fire in my city, I found out about it on an afternoon walk when I noticed half the sky was orange, When I got back to my desk I read about that to make sure it wasn't near my home. If there's a disaster in your area, your phone will announce it to you via emergency alerts (for US at least)

You never need to be passively informed of what one news agency decides is newsworthy. Wait until the topic comes up with people in your life, then read about what's on their minds, because chances are that's what's more important

Andy Black and KaaiFX like this.
  21. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $225,790
    Admin Post
    Not at all.

And I'm sure that doesn't help because the medium is "social" -- I'm just not one to post photos of my healthy meal or take selfies while in Vegas. On the flip side, people now see life as an opportunity to Instagram it for likes, as opposed to just being in the moment.

Jurica22, Daniel A, Longinus and 2 others like this.
  22. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $125,106
    I do this too. A glance at the front pages of the papers when filling up the car is enough for me.

carlos_ likes this.
  23. Thetaker24

Thetaker24 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $31
    i use social media only for business purpose. It works perfectly, none of my private life goes on the internet and the thing is, people that are really interested in you, they call you more or texting you more, instead on social media.

Andy Black likes this.
  24. Longinus

Longinus Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,746
    I use killnewsfeed on my browser but tend to "quick check" the feed on my smartphone when I have to wait for something. Not only was this app very greedy for attention (even with the notifications turned off), but it eats also so much data.

I didn't want to delete FB, so I installed Facebook Lite (only for Android). It's basically the facebook app from 5 years ago, but, the name says it, lighter.

So if you need FB on your phone, but don't want the bells and whistles, this is a good alternative.