The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I think I'm going to delete all Social Apps, is it good?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
I feel so stressed to have all these notifications on the phone, really.

And most of messages are BS.

I've already deleted facebook app and only login sometimes and use that only for business purpose, I don't post much on my private account.

If I log into facebook I get depressed lol all photos of broke people that want to show you that they are "rich", that's really bad.

Also all these whatsapp or telegram groups that talk about nothing, I just don't look at them anymore.

It's huge waste of time for me (also texting to girls that prefer texting on the phone instead of going out for a dinner in real life lol).

I think it's better to connect with people in real life and if there is something really important people can just call me on the phone and not wasting time texting.

How do you manage your social Apps? Are they important for your relationships ?

Do you use them or not at all?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I don't use social apps per se. I have Whatsapp, but that's basically an extension of my phone anyway. Facebook is not on my phone. I stopped posting on Reddit about a month ago. I have HelloTalk as well, but that's for my side hobby (language practice).

We're probably of similar age (mid 20s). I simply have no need for these apps.

What I've found since hiding my Facebook feed about 2 years ago is that meeting with friends that I haven't seen in a long time is more fun. I don't know what's been on in their life, they don't know about mine. So we can talk about it. We have more to talk about. Although sometimes they ask 'Didn't you see it on Facebook?' No I didn't, that's why I asked.

I don't feel disconnected because I'm connected with the people I want to be connected to. I have a small circle of friends. It's the way I like it. Fastlane Forum is my Facebook.

Andy Daniels

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
May 29, 2017
Oregon
I put my social media icons in a folder on the second page of my phone labeled "bullshit".

So whenever I am tempted to check any of those platforms, I accuse myself of being a bullshitter. It's surprisingly effective.

I soon plan on downgrading to a flip phone, it's cheaper, and there's less temptation that way.

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
Yes, it could be benificial if you delete your social apps from your phone depending on where you redirect your free time and focus.

I was fortunate enough to never hop onto the social media trend(left Facebook in 2009 or 2010 ), but I redirected my focus on a crippling, mind numbing web surfing habit which I only recently kicked; I was surfing 5-10 hours a day:(

So you should know why you're deciding to leave social media and what you're going to do in that spare time otherwise you'll just end up doing what I did; I might as well have been addicted to social media, at least I wouldn't have felt like I missed out on this "super hip" trend:)

I remember once I quit web surfing I'd force myself to stare at a wall rather than surf the internet; it gets pretty interesting after a few weeks;)

Let me tell you something you've heard a million times before- you're not going to miss anything

Most news headlines are forgotten within a week, and the news that IS important/significant you'll hear about it from friends and socializing

From what I know about social media like Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, most people will only share the highlights of their life over these
platforms, not their behind the scenes(the boring and negative things that happen to all of us day to day)

If I'm not mistaken, numerous studies have shown that people feel significantly more insecure, depressed, a lack of self worth after using Instagram and Facebook

to keep up with the important things that matter, you can subscribe to websites/blogs relevant to your business and stay informed with what's happening within your industry/industries and interests

The Fastlane Forum, Business INSIDERS, Quora, and a few app/tech/science and psychology related websites are really the only websites I check almost regularly;

Even if you're not engaging yourself in working on a business, studying, reading books, or whatever it is that you want to have that free time for, you'll notice you'll be able to concentrate better and have a clearer mind for the long run. Also, life becomes simpler, you notice very subtle things in everyday things, you communicate more deeply with friends and loved ones, you contemplate deeper on whatever it is you're thinking about, and you'll be more proactive to life as apposed to reactive.

Cal Newport(author of Deep Focus) talks about how sustained concentration and clear thinking could just be a modern day super power, seeing how most people are addicted to smartphones, social media, and web surfing these days

Do what @jon.a is doing; keep a flip phone or a super old smartphone. I still use my old iPhone 3GS(8 years almost!) and most if not all apps have pretty much become obsolete on it- yes I get made fun of a lot but thanks to it I've never used social media

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
I haven't deleted the apps yet, but I just don't use them. Primarily I am on Slack with different Slack workspaces for my various companies or employees. Likewise I use Line for communication, mostly with my connections in Japan.

I have Tumblr, FB, and others on the phone, but I used them for business. I rarely post privately on FB, but it is key to a lot of my different blog businesses that I still use it. When I am on FB I don't look at the, as you said @alan3wilson the sad broke people trying to front an image, I actually look at the things that are getting likes, the viral content, the types of posts that are attracting customers, because that is opportunity.

Yeah, I can spend a lot of time on FB researching, but that is what it is. For me I like to see the places "scripted" people frequent the most and see what opportunities lie there and FB is just one such area. So instead of ditching it, see if there might be an opportunity there for you. You never know. But if you do find yourself wasting time, not researching, not learning, then by all means ditch it.

I don't do anything that I think is a waste of my time anymore. Either it is something I enjoy, something that brings values to others, or something that brings appropriate value to me. More discussion in a future thread by what I mean when I say appropriate value.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Former Facebook addict checking in!

Just few weeks ago I was still a Facebook addict. I was scrolling down my news feed mindlessly for like an hour and action-faking...checking lives of people who pretend to have it all. I admit - checking other people lives and comparing it to mine made me depressed as hell, made me question my life and existence, lol.

Fast-forward two weeks, I've deleted Facebook profile and kept messenger for communication purposes. I now keep in touch with few friends and my mind is a lot more calmer and brighter. Every little positive change counts! :)

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
I have pretty much every mainstream social media app and it's fantastic.

Why?

"You have to go where your clients are. Imagine opening an office in the middle of the woods. No matter how good you are, if your potential clients can't find you, they'll go to your competition on main street."

I've lived by these words since closing my first major client.

Just like irl your online network is a reflection of your own life.

Would you keep negative and fake friends around you irl? If not why do you keep them virtually? Why not build a solid network online as you would offline?

Perhaps it's not the apps themselves but your application of them.

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
I have pretty much every mainstream social media app and it's fantastic.

"You have to go where your clients are. Imagine opening an office in the middle of the woods. No matter how good you are, if your potential clients can't find you, they'll go to your competition on main street."
Perhaps it's not the apps themselves but your application of them.

One of my thoughts as well. I don't get sucked into the BS of the Social world, but I can sure take advantage of it.

Jurica22

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2017
Croatia
I've done just that and the quality of my life increased dramatically.

The best thing about it is that you have so much more time and it's more productive because there are no distractions.

I do however still have social media accounts. I go on them once per day just in case someone needs me for school work.

I'd personally recommend it to anyone.

Denis from BE

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Apr 3, 2017
Belgium
Social apps keep me tuned about people needs that I can solve by my entrepreneur problems solver mindset

Last edited:

MiguelHammond10

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jun 12, 2017
Seattle
I feel so stressed to have all these notifications on the phone, really.

And most of messages are BS.

I've already deleted facebook app and only login sometimes and use that only for business purpose, I don't post much on my private account.

If I log into facebook I get depressed lol all photos of broke people that want to show you that they are "rich", that's really bad.

Also all these whatsapp or telegram groups that talk about nothing, I just don't look at them anymore.

It's huge waste of time for me (also texting to girls that prefer texting on the phone instead of going out for a dinner in real life lol).

I think it's better to connect with people in real life and if there is something really important people can just call me on the phone and not wasting time texting.

How do you manage your social Apps? Are they important for your relationships ?

Do you use them or not at all?

You right i totally agree with you,but I have not deleted the apps but my notifications are always off.

Clairvoyance1991

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Aug 24, 2017
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I have a facebook page for my clothing business and a lot of my orders are done that way so I have to have facebook for that. Personally I don't need the feed but I find myself scrolling quite often for no reason. I even enter the facebook app often just because of muscle memory when I'm bored. If it wasn't for my business I would have deleted it but I did delete Instagram which really helps keeping focus, you don't watch other peoples "perfect lives".

tiagosoares17.22

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 5, 2017
Porto, Portugal
The question if you should delete or not all social media apps depends on the reasons why you need them.

For example, if it's a way for you to make business, acquire new customers, do marketing, then it's a silly idea. What you need is to find strategies to better use those apps.

You mentioned being bothered by BS notifications and being part of meaningless groups. Why don't you then turn off the notifications and/or leave the groups? That's what I do, and i can tell you it certainly helps.

When it comes to Facebook I don't have the app on my phone and it allows me to save a lot of time. On the other hand, I spend more time on Instagram than what I should. But hey, I am ok with it because it's not affecting me in anything. When I need to work and focus I am able to completely forget about the app.

So, what I would say is: think about the pros and the cons of using certain apps. If you realize there is a benefit for having them due to X reasons, then try to limit their use for what you really need. That means unfollow people and pages on Facebook (or even make the feed disappear), it means turning off the notifications from people that send a lot of messages to you but that are never really that important, it means to maybe set a time to when using them, etc. There are really many ways to deal with it.

At the end of the day, if you find out you don't need and that you would benefit more by not have them installed on your smartphone, just delete them.

Last edited:

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Social media apps make people sadder and more depressed. That's not an assumption of mine, but a fact backed by lots of studies: social media happiness - Google Search.

If you want to be happier, then stop checking Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp, etc now.

Personally, I only use those apps for messaging.

For Facebook, I have Kill News Feed. If I want to see what someone's doing, then I go on Facebook, their specific page, and see what they're up to. But I don't scroll through the newsfeed because I don't have one.

As for keeping in touch, I use Messenger. You don't need to go to Facebook to message people.

Social media (as it stands) is bullshit.

Unless your business revolves around social, then there's a lot more negatives than benefits to using any of those apps or sites.

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
Social media apps make people sadder and more depressed. That's not an assumption of mine, but a fact backed by lots of studies: social media happiness - Google Search.

If you want to be happier, then stop checking Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp, etc now.

Personally, I only use those apps for messaging.

For Facebook, I have Kill News Feed. If I want to see what someone's doing, then I go on Facebook, their specific page, and see what they're up to. But I don't scroll through the newsfeed because I don't have one.

As for keeping in touch, I use Messenger. You don't need to go to Facebook to message people.

Social media (as it stands) is bullshit.

Unless your business revolves around social, then there's a lot more negatives than benefits to using any of those apps or sites.

I couldn't agree with this more. I was actually going to post a link to some of the studies that show using FB and other social media platforms actually causes depression or at the very least for us to feel worse about ourselves.

I dislike social platforms so much, with the exception of taking advantage of them for business purposes. But like you I use Kill News Feed so at the least when I go on FB for business, I am not even tempted, although truthfully I rarely ever was. Still a stand out Chrome app if you use Chrome!

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
396%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
For me and the team I am part of, being in Facebook groups helping people generated quite some leads.

It also helps to establish yourself as an expert, the go to guy for what you are doing.

Instead of blogging by yourself, you could go where your target market is hanging out and provide value there.

I am always trying to keep a simple formula in mind: producer > consumer.

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
For me and the team I am part of, being in Facebook groups helping people generated quite some leads.

It also helps to establish yourself as an expert, the go to guy for what you are doing.

Instead of blogging by yourself, you could go where your target market is hanging out and provide value there.

I am always trying to keep a simple formula in mind: producer > consumer.

This would be a total legitimate business use and fair game. That isn't a waste of time at all.

raddevon

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 20, 2017
Seattle, WA USA
You can use more aggressive Do Not Disturb settings on your Apple devices (I'm sure Android has an analog to that.) to be sure you don't get distracted when you want to be working. In fact, rather than thinking of which hours you want to block notifications, I'd think of which hours you want to allow them. Maybe it's just a couple of hours in the evening. Leave them off for the rest.

Be sure to use Favorites to allow important calls from family and others to break through. If calls aren't generally a problem or if you need them to be more open, you could allow all calls through your DND and just use it to block notifications from social apps.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I personally have zero social media.

Have had no problem meeting new people and making friends.

Not one picture of me is on the internet.

Total fantasy world of wannabes and haters.

PetePreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 28, 2017
UK
I've just turned off all the notifications for all of them, so I don't look at them very often anymore.

I'm in a group chat with my mates where everything gets organised, so I can't delete everything completely. I just make sure I only check stuff once a day to stop the old shiny object syndrome.

D

Deleted50669

A route I recently took was less extreme; delete all "friends" that aren't friends. I did this for Facebook, and I went from about 800 people to 32 people that I considered "friends enough" to stay connected with. The result: a feed with only trace amounts of bs, and posts about people I associate with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Take away your opinion of social media and strip it down to what it really is, a tool.

Like money, fame, health, and this forum, social media is external to you. Whether it exists is not up to you. But you can change your opinion of it. Yesterday's hindrance can be today's tool that you can leverage for your benefit.

Good luck.

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
Is there any way to delete your personal fb profile and keep the business manager associated with it?

I was never able to do this since that was how I started one FB business Page, but I created a new account strictly for business and it isn't linked and it has it's own profile. I had Business Account Manager at FB help me with it and I had that relationship already with FB through my other profile. How easy this is normally I have no idea. I suspect they are still linked at FB in the backend and just not shown to me in the tools I have access to.

ReubenA

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 3, 2016
I..

- turned off all notifications from my phone
- unfollowed and un-liked everything on Facebook, my newsfeed is blank. There's an online app somewhere for this, look it up
- deleted Facebook app, only use messenger

works well.

I tried completely deleting all social media but it didn't last long. I have FB login for so many things, no access to events, no access to people I wanted to talk to on messenger

Twitter, Instagram etc. I see no point in

Paul Thomas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jul 9, 2013
Delete the apps, keep your profiles. Login from desktop when it is necessary. Most of the time its not.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.