The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I messaged MJ almost 10 years ago to the day. Consider this my long overdue introduction.

ToySoldier

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 19, 2017
Toronto
I stumbled upon TMF back in the summer of 2011 when I was sixteen years old. Image attached.

In the past ten years I graduated with a marketing degree from a college here in Canada, and ended up as a growth marketer for Canada's biggest tech company.

I love my job. I spend my 9-5 working from home, running marketing experiments to get more kids to start businesses. I live at home due to Corona, and I'm moving to the city in August. I've got no debt, unlimited vacation, insurance, and a comfortable salary. If I won the lottery I'd still show up to work. I'm satisfied.

But something's missing. Seeing that message I sent to MJ a decade ago broke my heart. I've dabbled with entrepreneurship my entire life, but as soon as I got this job the motivation vanished.

I've become content with where I'm at in life, and complacent with my entrepreneurial ventures. There's no drive.

When I was in college I wanted money. I was broke, and dreamed of owning a Jaguar before I graduated. At 26, I have money. Living at home and some stock grants have let me save up, and I could comfortably live out the rest of my twenties unemployed. I've been practicing Stoicism, and the thought of big houses and fast cars make me feel guilty for owning so much while others don't.

I've never had a "F*ck this event", and I don't know when I will. I'm trying to find something new to make me hungry. I guess that's why I ended up here- to see if some of you can relate.

I'm on track to live a perfectly upper-middle class life. And I'm afraid ten years from now, I'll regret it.

-N

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• 2011.png
    2011.png
    248 KB · Views: 116

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Welcome to the forum!

In previous times, before we printed many trillions of dollars and drove up the price of everything, I would suggest buying real estate as a relatively low risk money tree. It's a good way to get some fastlane benefits while still maintaining a slowlane lifestyle.

These days, I don't know.

Perhaps branching out to do some marketing work for others could be a good start for you? If nothing else, it's a way to boost your income without taking on much risk.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I stumbled upon TMF back in the summer of 2011 when I was sixteen years old. Image attached.

In the past ten years I graduated with a marketing degree from a college here in Canada, and ended up as a growth marketer for Canada's biggest tech company.

I love my job. I spend my 9-5 working from home, running marketing experiments to get more kids to start businesses. I live at home due to Corona, and I'm moving to the city in August. I've got no debt, unlimited vacation, insurance, and a comfortable salary. If I won the lottery I'd still show up to work. I'm satisfied.

But something's missing. Seeing that message I sent to MJ a decade ago broke my heart. I've dabbled with entrepreneurship my entire life, but as soon as I got this job the motivation vanished.

I've become content with where I'm at in life, and complacent with my entrepreneurial ventures. There's no drive.

When I was in college I wanted money. I was broke, and dreamed of owning a Jaguar before I graduated. At 26, I have money. Living at home and some stock grants have let me save up, and I could comfortably live out the rest of my twenties unemployed. I've been practicing Stoicism, and the thought of big houses and fast cars make me feel guilty for owning so much while others don't.

I've never had a "f*ck this event", and I don't know when I will. I'm trying to find something new to make me hungry. I guess that's why I ended up here- to see if some of you can relate.

I'm on track to live a perfectly upper-middle class life. And I'm afraid ten years from now, I'll regret it.

-N

Download the sample chapters of The Great Rat-Race Escape (In my signature) --

Principle #3 was specifically WRITTEN FOR YOU.

ToySoldier

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 19, 2017
Toronto

Hey!! Just downloaded the sample this afternoon. I'll check it out!

EDIT: "Another fact: Most people will never escape mediocrity and its economic cult unless it triggers an FTE or a “F*ck this event.” A “F*ck this event” is a traumatic incident that takes you over the edge."

You weren't kidding.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
My first time seeing MJ with long hair

It's actually growing long again and this time, it is NOT falling out! Must be that vegan diet and the lack of protein, B12, and whatever else the deficiency narrative is. :rofl:

ToySoldier

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 19, 2017
Toronto
It's actually growing long again and this time, it is NOT falling out! Must be that vegan diet and the lack of protein, B12, and whatever else the deficiency narrative is. :rofl:
Can't wait to read the book. Do you speak about how one might trigger a FTE?

Also, who's narrating it?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Can't wait to read the book. Do you speak about how one might trigger a FTE?

Also, who's narrating it?
I could be wrong, but an induced FTE( caused by somebody elses convictions) won’t last.

IE:

Mike reads MJ’s Unscripted and gets inspired, says f this, f my job, I will build a business and live in the fastlane.

In my opinion, this rarely works because is fuelled by someone else.( in this case MJ’s convictions & book)

You’re all high and motivated after reading it and the moment it gets hard you quit. Dopamine is over. You get scared, because you could lose what you already have.
It’s just my opinion, and it doesn’t have to be true. There are always exceptions.

On the other side, a true FT moment fuels the “How do I get out of this situation” questions that leads to finding the books, etc.
When things get hard, you’re then motivated by your own situation and inspired by the books, forming a perfect storm to continue your journey.

Coming back to the OP, if you’re happy, have you thought about investing ?

If not, I’d stick with what you know and do that on a freelance basis, outside of work.
That should fuel enough dissatisfaction with working for somebody else.

Not everybody is cut for the fastlane, nor all people want to live there.

Lots of people only want money in the beginning, so for them it doesn’t matter if it’s from a job or a business.

Anyway, if you get something from this message let it be that, in my opinion,
Motivation is like a muscle. Work on it and it will get bigger and bigger.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
No, because that is personal and different for anyone. But mediocre comfort, or comfortable pain doesn't trigger it.
I’ve had a lot of people ask me about this. Is there anything I can say to another person to trigger an internal FTE, coming from them? Or do you believe it’s out of someone’s control?

I’m looking for a really powerful way to get people motivated, that actually works. Either that, or I come to the conclusion that you simply cannot do anything, and when that person is ready, it will happen, BUT, they could also never become ready. Curious to hear your thoughts on this.

IE do you think people are just “born with” the ability to have or not have an FTE?

I know lots of people who have had them and went on to do great things. I also know lots of people who seem unable to have one despite their circumstances.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
My method to help people get a FTE is to inspire them (words/challenge/call out/show them it is possible) or to force them (get them out of their comfort zone / put them in the situation / drag them in kicking and screaming).

Really, really like to hear their version of these words that a forum member told me one time ..... "Dude. I was up ALL F*cking night after what you said. I spent 4 hours creating the plan to change my life. I've got to go. Epic shit to do!"

ToySoldier

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 19, 2017
Toronto

Holy shit you weren’t kidding. I'm making a comfortable salary, living with my parents in the comfortable suburbs, and padding a very comfortable savings account.

I'm moving to a brand new city in a tiny apartment next month. Gonna force myself out of this safety net and trigger my own FTE.

41DA200B-9EB3-4328-B939-9F8695AF115F.png

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...