The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I left my job; now I need to build a business

CashflowXplorer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 14, 2021
Canada
Hi everyone. I am back. I left my 22 year old job three weeks ago. I couldn't support agressive clients anymore and didn't want to get into a second major depression in three years.

Now I don't have any more revenue coming in so I really need to start a little business. I am looking for business I could start in less than two months and without investing lots of money.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi everyone. I am back. I left my 22 year old job three weeks ago. I couldn't support agressive clients anymore and didn't want to get into a second major depression in three years.

Now I don't have any more revenue coming in so I really need to start a little business. I am looking for business I could start in less than two months and without investing lots of money.
What were you getting paid to do in previous jobs? Can you provide that as a freelancer?

Edgar King

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 29, 2021

It definitely looks like freelancing is the way to go.

Andy's right, can you outsource your services to platforms like Upwork? And overdeliver enough to charge a premium? If you can do that you can then use that capital to invest in a business.

SharpeningBlade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
201%
May 26, 2021
San Francisco, CA
Two months to build a cashflow positive business sounds tough... even on Undercover Billionaire they give 90 days to highly seasoned business magnates. Maybe start there to get some ideas? Perhaps you can elaborate on your skillset / interests a bit more.

Congrats on quitting something that felt toxic to you, that takes courage.

Best wishes on your success!

Last edited:

Tubs

Starting fresh
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Apr 5, 2019
VA

Provided you live in a good area for it, a local service business would probably be the fastest way to get some cashflow. Car detailing, carpet cleaning, window washing, gutter cleaning, etc...

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
ashflow positive business sounds tough... even on Undercover Billionaire they give 90 days to highly seasoned business magnates. Maybe start there to get some ideas? Perhaps you can elaborate on your skillset / interests a bit more.

Congrats on quitting something that felt toxic

Provided you live in a good area for it, a local service business would probably be the fastest way to get some cashflow. Car detailing, carpet cleaning, window washing, gutter cleaning, etc...
I second this. when I quit my "cushy" job before I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I went into local services (handyman) & within a week I making more than enough for my bills.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What can you do to make a sale, this week?

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
I second this. when I quit my "cushy" job before I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I went into local services (handyman) & within a week I making more than enough for my bills.

Yup. It's the fastest way to make cash if you're stuck. I quit my last job 4 years ago and went straight into home services. Within one month I was earning more than ever.

I'm still trying to work my way out of being a local service business by doing something online but I'm slowly finding my way.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State

clean roofs and make 8k in your first month with a ladder, broom and some fb ads.

CashflowXplorer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 14, 2021
Canada
What were you getting paid to do in previous jobs? Can you provide that as a freelancer?
Hi. Sorry for the delay of response. I thought no one replied to my post but it was in my spam folder.

I was paid around 500-550$ of net income per week. I was working as a naturalist in a zoo, doing public speaking to visitors to explain everything about nature, wildlife and ecosystems. I was also, sometimes, writing a few articles for the zoo's blog.
It definitely looks like freelancing is the way to go.

Andy's right, can you outsource your services to platforms like Upwork? And overdeliver enough to charge a premium? If you can do that you can then use that capital to invest in a business.
I thought about freelance writing but I don't really know where to start.
Two months to build a cashflow positive business sounds tough... even on Undercover Billionaire they give 90 days to highly seasoned business magnates. Maybe start there to get some ideas? Perhaps you can elaborate on your skillset / interests a bit more.

Congrats on quitting something that felt toxic to you, that takes courage.

Best wishes on your success!
I said two months but it can be a little longer. The thing I don't want is to spend tons of money and tons of time to start building something that can provide me with some income.
Thanks for the ideas. I will check that.
Ok I will need to make a list of everything I can do for my neighbors.
What can you do to make a sale, this week?
I have some stuff I have at home that I don't use anymore. I could put an add and try to sell this stuff. I was thinking that maybe I could buys cheap stuff and sell them to a higher price. What do you think?
Yup. It's the fastest way to make cash if you're stuck. I quit my last job 4 years ago and went straight into home services. Within one month I was earning more than ever.

I'm still trying to work my way out of being a local service business by doing something online but I'm slowly finding my way.
What home services were you doing?
It all depends on your specialized knowledge. Convert that into a scalable product/service to solve a need that exists and capitalize from there.
My specialized knowledge is:

- Writing and proofreading in both french (native language) and english.
- Public speaking (conferences, workshops).
- A lot of knowledge about nature, wild plants and animals, woodlands, wetlands ...
- Building an educative or training program.
clean roofs and make 8k in your first month with a ladder, broom and some fb ads.
This is something I can't do. I am afraid of heights ;) I have just went to a job interview for a company taking air samples on the top of industrial chimneys. When they showed me pictures of those buildings, I said I can't climb there and we were all laughing and having fun.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

- A lot of knowledge about nature, wild plants and animals, woodlands, wetlands ...
You’ve lots of options with these skills and experiences.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Hi. Sorry for the delay of response. I thought no one replied to my post but it was in my spam folder.

I was paid around 500-550$ of net income per week. I was working as a naturalist in a zoo, doing public speaking to visitors to explain everything about nature, wildlife and ecosystems. I was also, sometimes, writing a few articles for the zoo's blog.

I thought about freelance writing but I don't really know where to start.

I said two months but it can be a little longer. The thing I don't want is to spend tons of money and tons of time to start building something that can provide me with some income.

Thanks for the ideas. I will check that.

Ok I will need to make a list of everything I can do for my neighbors.

I have some stuff I have at home that I don't use anymore. I could put an add and try to sell this stuff. I was thinking that maybe I could buys cheap stuff and sell them to a higher price. What do you think?

What home services were you doing?

This is something I can't do. I am afraid of heights ;) I have just went to a job interview for a company taking air samples on the top of industrial chimneys. When they showed me pictures of those buildings, I said I can't climb there and we were all laughing and having fun.
If you live in a touristy area, doing tours and guides would be excellent for you.

Any service business is going to be your best option to survive without a job as you forge ahead.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Honestly it sounds like you could use another but better job. This way you have cash to start building a business on a side, or save up enough to quick again but with a lot more time and money for the business.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State

I’m talking about this

BE8378CC-A14E-4A09-835F-33FDF60F9BF2.jpeg

but if not, maybe I should sell you a droppshipping course

CashflowXplorer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 14, 2021
Canada
You’ve lots of options with these skills and experiences.
What do you see exactly?

I know I am very good at writing in french because it's my native language. English a little less.

I have done public speaking for the last twenty years.

And I don't know what I can do with my nature's knowledge.
If you live in a touristy area, doing tours and guides would be excellent for you.

Any service business is going to be your best option to survive without a job as you forge ahead.
I live near Montreal. I am not in a really touristic place but I could check what services I can offer to tourists. It will be a very small business because I don't think I can earn lots of money from an activity where I need to always be present ;)

And yes, you are right about service business. I should take a look at that.
Honestly it sounds like you could use another but better job. This way you have cash to start building a business on a side, or save up enough to quick again but with a lot more time and money for the business.
Yes I know. That's why I am still searching for another jOb.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I live near Montreal. I am not in a really touristic place but I could check what services I can offer to tourists. It will be a very small business because I don't think I can earn lots of money from an activity where I need to always be present ;)
Walk before you run.

Start by always being present, get some money and some customers, save, get a consistent strategy for more tours, and hire more guides...

Then you can stop being a tour guide and start being a CEO.

But in most cases, you don't wake up one morning and put your CEO pants on.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019

I've lived in Montreal before.

Everybody struggles with the snow. With winter coming, you can start by yourself and eventually grow a crew for clearing snow from homeowners' properties. You can expand your services to higher-margin deals after you get some money coming in and can deal with the fear of going broke.

Similar to Johnny, you can sell them the service on an annual/seasonal basis to get upfront cash. If you scope out the Plateau area, you will find many rentals with the same owner. If you sell your service to the owner of multiple properties you can get away with dealing with fewer clients.

People in Montreal are not entrepreneurial and the customer experience you get from most products/businesses is the worst I've experienced anywhere else in the world - you can go very far with a simple service-based business + quality customer service. Dealing with snow is an obvious bet you can capitalize on, but as Johnny pointed out, there are much higher-margin services you can sell such as dealing with roofs.

CashflowXplorer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 14, 2021
Canada
Walk before you run.

Start by always being present, get some money and some customers, save, get a consistent strategy for more tours, and hire more guides...

Then you can stop being a tour guide and start being a CEO.

But in most cases, you don't wake up one morning and put your CEO pants on.
Thanks. It's really appreciated.
I've lived in Montreal before.

Everybody struggles with the snow. With winter coming, you can start by yourself and eventually grow a crew for clearing snow from homeowners' properties. You can expand your services to higher-margin deals after you get some money coming in and can deal with the fear of going broke.

Similar to Johnny, you can sell them the service on an annual/seasonal basis to get upfront cash. If you scope out the Plateau area, you will find many rentals with the same owner. If you sell your service to the owner of multiple properties you can get away with dealing with fewer clients.

People in Montreal are not entrepreneurial and the customer experience you get from most products/businesses is the worst I've experienced anywhere else in the world - you can go very far with a simple service-based business + quality customer service. Dealing with snow is an obvious bet you can capitalize on, but as Johnny pointed out, there are much higher-margin services you can sell such as dealing with roofs.
In fact, I am not from Montreal but on the south shore of Montreal, so not on the plateau.

But you got a good idea about the clearing snow. We just had to pay our bills for the snow guy. It's expensive but he has machinery and clear all our big driveway.

I should think about something like this.

CashflowXplorer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 14, 2021
Canada
now this is the question that gets you thinking!
Yes, I need to think about it. At this moment right now, I can sell a few things I own and that I don't need anymore. I could also go and buy stuff in garage sales and try to sell them for a higher price.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
Yes, I need to think about it. At this moment right now, I can sell a few things I own and that I don't need anymore. I could also go and buy stuff in garage sales and try to sell them for a higher price.

Don't get ahead of yourself. Just start by selling things you don't need and report back with what you learn.

What platform did you use?
How many people looked at your ad?
How can you write your ad better?
How were you able to negotiate with your buyers?
How can you improve the experience for your next sale?

After a few sales - you will begin to know some of your own products and that little marketplace pretty well. You'll get new ideas of what you can begin to do.

But if your plan is to simply sell things you don't need to earn a few dollars - then just do that and not focus too much of your effort on what comes 5 steps after that.

One step at a time friend.

Keep up the good work!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...