The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I can build any SaaS product, and make $ $, but I cant get through my own mind to the next level.

A topic related to SAAS or APPs

DST

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Nov 19, 2013
Norway
Well the last 10% of a project is usually the hardest one so..

Are you actually done with everything? What are the next steps to go along with it?

You just gotta do it. I don't suggest reading any books as that will cause even more paralysis by analysis which is a never ending process.

If you have a hard time doing it yourself you could hire or partner up with someone to help you out. Having another who goes along makes it way easier

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Thats a good way of seeing things. So instead of mindlessly trying out random ideas, you recommend to become good at something then try to identify the pain points in your field ?

Yes, to start

The only problem with becoming an authority in something before trying to scratch your own or your customer's itch is that it takes time, possibly years.

This is wrong. It does not take years to become an authority in something.

If me and you know nothing about Bitcoin and then you read 4 books on it and drop $10k in the market and trade for a few weeks and maybe get a weekly newsletter about it and read it, you are an authority to me.... who knows nothing about Bitcoin still. Authority is based on not being the best or most well-known, but if you know more than the people that look to you for answers.

Do you know of any good communities or do you have a workflow for helping people and identifying opportunities in software ?

This is bad mindset. Following down this road means you haven't found the issue within your own community/authority and are looking elsewhere where you have no authority potentially.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
@eliquid - I'm also an INTJ, and it seems that you put a lot of effort into studying your personality and what helps you be successful.

Any takeaways for INTJ's? Or resources worth reading on the topic?

I alot of what is written about just INTJ's on Google is good, but a lot is also misleading. A lot of places will make it out that INTJ's are not emotional or creative which really messed me up, because I actually am in a different way than most people.

So I took a few other tests, like the Enneagram, Strengths Finder, etc. I took just about every test out there that wasn't some bunk Facebook crap.

What I realized is that I am a 5W4 and 5w6 ( depending on mood ) on the Enneagram, which resonates with INTJ's.. but a lot of INTJ's can be other combinations. Doing this exercise let me dig in deeper with more info and insight.

Then I did the Strength's Finder and other tests.

The common core came back reaffirming my INTJ status and also my INTJ-T status which was important. The 5w4 and 5w6 was important to learn as well as it let me dig into more of my personality that the MBTI didn't. Same with Strengthsfinder.

Me and you might be both INTJ-T's, but you might be a 1w2 and have a different Strength's Finder class ( though kinda similar ).

This is why I know so much about myself.

Past that, I looked online for a very long time ( months ) about information about INTJs, INTJ-Ts, 5w4's and 5w6's, etc. I dug into all the info I could and made notes and reread those notes, I bought a couple books off Amazon and dug into other tests.

A lot overlapped, but the small gems that cropped up were invaluable.

I'd start with finding out if you are a INTJ-T or INTJ-A, then dig into Enneagram and find out which one you are, along with your wing, and then take the Strengths Finder test too. Once you have all that, you will need to dig into all of that information online to dissect all you can about yourself.

Once you do, you will need to also think about how you can use your weakness and strengths from that research to face who you really are and how you can better yourself and avoid pitfalls about your personality.

I might be able to help more once you gather all your info, but its a lot of reading and note taking and self reflection.

Last edited:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
OP, as a developer I've been a part of a team who worked on an app for even longer than you did, on a serious budget too, and one big mistake is that we didn't show it to customers/prospects until it was done.

We kept adding features and implementing every "cool" idea that no customer asked for, but would "obviously" love. So we thought...

It failed, even though it was better than previous solution.

If you have people checking in on the progress, why not let them login and take your app for a spin? You might get the sorts of feedback you'd never expect.

And if the app is helping them, even though it's not ideal yet, why not get them to start paying for it? So you can sustain it and keep developing it.

@eliquid your posts are always so valuable, thank you very much for contributing. I have a question, that I think may be of help to OP too.

I'm about to build a piece of software to scratch my own itch, and that of our clients. Namely a WP plugin.

So - after I use it for myself, and give it to our clients as a nice perk, how do I market it to others that might need it? How would you?

I would start with where people read reviews about plugins, download plugins, and find out more info about Wordpress in general.

Those would be people who write posts about "the 10 plugins for 2018" and "most have wordpress extensions for membership sites" type of articles. Followed up the wordpress directory of course, communities talking about wordpress-ish things ( communities like Wishlist or OptimizePress ), Quora posts about topics that your plugin deals with, Reddit, etc.

Maybe do some interviews with people that have email lists/audiences that deal with Wordpress topics so that your name gets out a bit more to their list.

You could also get on ProductHunt and similar lists/sites

Jackmar

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
413%
Nov 18, 2018
Arizona, USA
Wow.

Thanks for all the replies about this, I wasn't expecting to get this many great opinions and advice. This is obviously a great community and I have a feeling I'll be sticking around for awhile.

This thread has given me a lot to think about. I feel like (thanks to your responses) I have started down a path of understanding myself better and understanding why I do the things I do. There is obvious value in working with myself rather than just constantly brute-forcing against the parts of my personality that get in my way.

It's also clear that I need to learn to delegate some of the responsibility. Even if that means sacrificing quality. In the end it's better than not launching at all.

Theres a lot of great posts here and I will go through and respond when I get some more free time.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
I alot of what is written about just INTJ's on Google is good, but a lot is also misleading. A lot of places will make it out that INTJ's are not emotional or creative which really messed me up, because I actually am in a different way than most people.

So I took a few other tests, like the Enneagram, Strengths Finder, etc. I took just about every test out there that wasn't some bunk Facebook crap.

What I realized is that I am a 5W4 and 5w6 ( depending on mood ) on the Enneagram, which resonates with INTJ's.. but a lot of INTJ's can be other combinations. Doing this exercise let me dig in deeper with more info and insight.

The common core came back reaffirming my INTJ status and also my INTJ-T status which was important. The 5w4 and 5w6 was important to learn as well as it let me dig into more of my personality that the MBTI didn't. Same with Strengthsfinder.

Me and you might be both INTJ-T's, but you might be a 1w2 and have a different Strength's Finder class ( though kinda similar ).

Past that, I looked online for a very long time ( months ) about information about INTJs, INTJ-Ts, 5w4's and 5w6's, etc. I dug into all the info I could and made notes and reread those notes, I bought a couple books off Amazon and dug into other tests.

I'd start with finding out if you are a INTJ-T or INTJ-A, then dig into Enneagram and find out which one you are, along with your wing, and then take the Strengths Finder test too. Once you have all that, you will need to dig into all of that information online to dissect all you can about yourself.

Once you do, you will need to also think about how you can use your weakness and strengths from that research to face who you really are and how you can better yourself and avoid pitfalls about your personality.

I might be able to help more once you gather all your info, but its a lot of reading and note taking and self reflection.

Just to add to this, this exercise takes a long time to do properly if you decide to do it.

The research, the dealing with inner demons, throwing off what the world tells us about ourselves and the world we should live in, the note taking and fact finding, the process of re-aligning ourselves to new values and goals for the future, admitting defeat in whatever life we are in now possibly to live a better one going forward, etc.

It's why I wrote Not Fulfilled? Depressed? Maybe You Need An Alignment

For example, I use to battle with what I was strong and weak at... to what the world and others told me I had to be doing. A good example personally is "teamwork" and your "network is your net worth". Those of us that are INTJ's ( and related types ) know that this is a scary a$$ thing to even think about.

Working with others? Talking to people in public? Making small talk? Yeah, I'd rather be in solitary confinement than do any of that.

So once I learned I wasn't some shy failure that was borderline Autistic and socially awkward.. that I am a normal person that has this personality, I was able to finally shed that weight off my shoulders mentally and start working in a way that best fit me, which increased my output 100x over.

It also help me set new goals in life. Goals that I knew I could achieve based on my personality, strengths and weaknesses, and other insights I gained.

Such as building SaaS's without a team. Such as I am a perfectionist and will tend to delay things IF I CAN AND IF I ALLOW MYSELF.. so I don't. I set goals based on not allowing myself ( or product ) to be perfect so I launch/release when done instead of perfect.

Things like that.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Jason

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden

Appreciate your write-up, @eliquid. I've tried to self-reflect quite a lot lately, but I've never done a personality test before. Did the Myers-Briggs test, I don't know what the result means yet, but I'll make sure to follow your advice and do some digging.

Thanks

Thinh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Aug 11, 2018
@Jackmar, here's a short article you want to read: The truth about shipping by Seth Godin.

It's from 2010, the exact year I started a career in web development freelancing. And had I read it (and really get the message) that year, I'd have saved multiple five figures, and a few years of my life.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Jackmar, here's a short article you want to read: The truth about shipping by Seth Godin.

It's from 2010, the exact year I started a career in web development freelancing. And had I read it (and really get the message) that year, I'd have saved multiple five figures, and a few years of my life.
Is that the one where you set a deadline and ship on that date?

Thinh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Aug 11, 2018

HackVenture

Digital Marketer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 11, 2011
Planet Earth
Nice intro!

One thing I'm not very clear about though; have you already launched this but are not getting sales or are you worried about not getting sales therefore you are reluctant to launch?

Nobody is good at all aspects and it sounds like you are awesome at code so why not just let someone else handle the sales?

You might be reluctant to hire at the moment so why not bring on a partner to handle the sales?

Not as in a business partner that holds shares in your company but a partner that helps you build a funnel and take care of getting sales and giving him a generous percentage of sales generated in return for him taking on the risk/responsibility of building a funnel up from scratch?

That way the partner gains a new stream of income doing what he's good at, you get to finally start getting sales yet stay focused on what you do best, which is coding/building.

Food for thought I guess. Getting onto Product Hunt to get feedback and ideas is also great.

Btw, I am open to collaborating if you're interested.

Smajo

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 14, 2024
Dear Sir or Madam, I am interested in joining your business

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders