The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How would you grow a loyal following for your newsletter?

Idea threads

anti_businessman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Mar 19, 2024
As per the title, I am currently starting a newsletter on ecommerce. I would like to grow my subscriber list to a solid amount of engaged and loyal following. I am not aiming for big numbers like 1000's but even a few 100s or 50 very engaged subscribers would be great.

My newsletter will mostly be progress updates on my own ecomm journey with the occasional lessons learnt / informative posts sprinkled in.

I am not aiming for immediate revenue but more or less just building an engaged follower list, where most of my followers are on a similar journey.

My current strategy is to post weekly status updates as standalone posts on different forums such as reddit and a few more ecomm / self development forums. And hope that they like my updates and they will subscribe. Like I will put a footer on my posts, which links to my newsletter. Hopefully, it's not too salesy and doesnt breach any policies.

Does anyone else have any further suggestions?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Borderless CLTV

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Mar 12, 2024
Global
As per the title, I am currently starting a newsletter on ecommerce. I would like to grow my subscriber list to a solid amount of engaged and loyal following. I am not aiming for big numbers like 1000's but even a few 100s or 50 very engaged subscribers would be great.

My newsletter will mostly be progress updates on my own ecomm journey with the occasional lessons learnt / informative posts sprinkled in.

I am not aiming for immediate revenue but more or less just building an engaged follower list, where most of my followers are on a similar journey.

My current strategy is to post weekly status updates as standalone posts on different forums such as reddit and a few more ecomm / self development forums. And hope that they like my updates and they will subscribe. Like I will put a footer on my posts, which links to my newsletter. Hopefully, it's not too salesy and doesnt breach any policies.

You can also run ads to your site.

Another option is to setup various other accounts and repost your articles through those to increase traffic. There's a top article on this site about doing that for YouTube/video content.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

I'm actually trying this as well.

Just over a week ago I started a project (to grow a completely separate newsletter with Google Ads) and I'm posting progress updates to LinkedIn.

I've a CTA at the end of each LinkedIn post that sends people to a "Follow-Along" style newsletter.

I know at least one email subscriber came from LinkedIn due to those posts as I email each new subscriber asking how they found out about the newsletter.

Whenever I post to LinkedIn I send a newsletter issue that links to it. (I also want to add a bit more behind the scenes value to the email subscribers.)

I'm seeing if I can create a flywheel, where the more newsletter subscribers I get the more initial traction a LinkedIn post gets, which hopefully brings in more email subscribers.

The beauty of a Follow-Along style newsletter is you're just documenting work you're doing anyway. This morning I want to login and see how my project is going. I'll write notes and next thoughts as I dig in, and then post to LinkedIn.

Anyway, you can also buy subscribers using something like Sparkloop. Sahil Bloom gets ad revenue from his newsletter and uses it to buy more subscribers. This makes his ad revenue bigger the next month because he's got more subscribers, which means he can buy more subscribers that month. Check out the "Figuring Out Flywheels" chat thread:

I'm a Google Ads guy so want to try growing newsletters using Google Ads. I worked for a startup many years ago and we generated 15k signups a day to a new social media platform. I figure those could have been newsletter signups.

Some people use Facebook Ads, TikTok Ads, etc. I haven't watched this but found it for you:
View: https://youtu.be/xf_2laNUHJ0?si=da7d-ou-fPKYSivn

@MTF might have some other thoughts.

Borderless CLTV

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Mar 12, 2024
Global

Just over a week ago I started a project (to grow a completely separate newsletter with Google Ads) and I'm posting progress updates to LinkedIn.

I've a CTA at the end of each LinkedIn post that sends people to a "Follow-Along" style newsletter.

I know at least one email subscriber came from LinkedIn due to those posts as I email each new subscriber asking how they found out about the newsletter.

Whenever I post to LinkedIn I send a newsletter issue that links to it. (I also want to add a bit more behind the scenes value to the email subscribers.)

I'm seeing if I can create a flywheel, where the more newsletter subscribers I get the more initial traction a LinkedIn post gets, which hopefully brings in more email subscribers.

The beauty of a Follow-Along style newsletter is you're just documenting work you're doing anyway. This morning I want to login and see how my project is going. I'll write notes and next thoughts as I dig in, and then post to LinkedIn.

Anyway, you can also buy subscribers using something like Sparkloop. Sahil Bloom gets ad revenue from his newsletter and uses it to buy more subscribers. This makes his ad revenue bigger the next month because he's got more subscribers, which means he can buy more subscribers that month. Check out the "Figuring Out Flywheels" chat thread:

I'm a Google Ads guy so want to try growing newsletters using Google Ads. I worked for a startup many years ago and we generated 15k signuos a day to a new social media platform. I figure those could have been newsletter signups.

Some people use Facebook Ads, TikTok Ads, etc. I haven't watched this but found it for you:

The amount of incredible information, threads, and users here is astonishing. I have six separate internet tabs open for such threads to go through - just added another one thanks to you!:happy:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Anyway, you can also buy subscribers using something like Sparkloop. Sahil Bloom gets ad revenue from his newsletter and uses it to buy more subscribers. This makes his ad revenue bigger the next month because he's got more subscribers, which means he can buy more subscribers that month. Check out the "Figuring Out Flywheels" chat thread.

I've heard that subscriber quality is low through Sparkloop.

I'd advertise directly in e-commerce newsletters (smaller, more personal ones work better because subscribers have a stronger relationship with the sender).

You can also do lead ads in Facebook Ads in exchange for a valuable lead magnet. But make sure these are LEAD ads as regular ads that send to an opt-in page cost like 5x more than lead ads.

But probably in this niche your best bet is posting on X and interacting with others interested in e-commerce. Maybe you could promote your tweets/profile there.

Duuce is a platform for buying/selling newsletters. Subscribe for their updates - sometimes they have niche newsletters for sale that you could acquire and send to your newsletter.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Do something cool or valuable, share it online, and then go more in-depth with your emails.

You can't buy loyalty. It must be earned.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Here's what I posted to LinkedIn 20 mins ago.

I was checking the project stats this morning anyway, so writing this up didn't take much time.

Later today I'll add a CTA to signup to my newsletter at the bottom.

1710931203663.png

I then sent a short email to my newsletter subscribers:
1710930922367.png

My newletter only has 200 subscribers at the moment, but I can see it growing slowly (probably mostly from the forum rather than LinkedIn but maybe that will change).

Stats for my email broadcasts as of now:

1710931354423.png

anti_businessman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Mar 19, 2024
You can also run ads to your site.

Another option is to setup various other accounts and repost your articles through those to increase traffic. There's a top article on this site about doing that for YouTube/video content.
What do you mean by setting up other accounts? Do you mean like setting up new accounts on relevant forums and reposting your content?

anti_businessman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Mar 19, 2024

I'm a Google Ads guy so want to try growing newsletters using Google Ads. I worked for a startup many years ago and we generated 15k signups a day to a new social media platform. I figure those could have been newsletter signups.

Thanks for those links.

Do you get a lot of impression from people on your secondary or 3rd networks? I've never quite understood the LinkedIn algorithm.

anti_businessman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Mar 19, 2024
I've heard that subscriber quality is low through Sparkloop.

I'd advertise directly in e-commerce newsletters (smaller, more personal ones work better because subscribers have a stronger relationship with the sender).

You can also do lead ads in Facebook Ads in exchange for a valuable lead magnet. But make sure these are LEAD ads as regular ads that send to an opt-in page cost like 5x more than lead ads.

But probably in this niche your best bet is posting on X and interacting with others interested in e-commerce. Maybe you could promote your tweets/profile there.

Duuce is a platform for buying/selling newsletters. Subscribe for their updates - sometimes they have niche newsletters for sale that you could acquire and send to your newsletter.
I have an X account but I seem to struggle with getting more engagement. Possibly because I am just poor at short form content. And sooooooo many bots.

Reddit I always seem to get more engagement, possibly due to my writing style? Idk.

Thanks for sharing the platform. I'll have a look

anti_businessman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Mar 19, 2024
Do something cool or valuable, share it online, and then go more in-depth with your emails.

You can't buy loyalty. It must be earned.
What do you mean? Can you please share an example?

I am guessing it would be me sharing a major milestone in my journey (e.g. 100th customer etc ) and then say that I provide a breakdown of it in my article and lead them into my newsletter?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Do you get a lot of impression from people on your secondary or 3rd networks? I've never quite understood the LinkedIn algorithm.
I suspect I don't get many impressions from my 2nd and 3rd degree connections. I don't know how to see that, but I've nearly 12k followers/connections and my posts only currently get 500-1500 views. Hence building an email list so I can let subscribers know when I've actually posted!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What do you mean? Can you please share an example?

I am guessing it would be me sharing a major milestone in my journey (e.g. 100th customer etc ) and then say that I provide a breakdown of it in my article and lead them into my newsletter?
Kind of like this I think:

anti_businessman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Mar 19, 2024

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders