The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How To Stop Seeking Permission/Validation?

Anything related to matters of the mind

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
I'll try not to get too sappy, but this is something that I have struggled with forever.

I can never start or buy anything before it is validated by other people.

Whether it's starting a business or making an expensive purchase, I always have the urge to seek out other people's opinions before starting/buying. It's like I have to get permission from other people that I am making the right choice.

I feel like it's really holding me back in my life.

Is it the fear of the unknown? Analysis paralysis?

I'm sure other people struggle with this issue too. I think it would really help if we could discuss strategies or how you guys overcame this constant struggle I have.

How have you dealt with this issue in your life?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jasmine Vine

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 20, 2018
I think it's only natural to want to seek validation for things because we all want reassurance that the path we are on is the right one. Where the issue comes in, is when you seek that validation from sidewalkers or slowlaners, because their perception of reality is different, and asking these people will only bring you down. In that sense you need to learn to validate yourself and make a point to only share things with people who wont just bring you down.

I believe this comes from a lack of confidence in one-self and their own abilities. I'm still stuck in it myself. Keen to hear other peoples thoughts on this.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
I think it's only natural to want to seek validation for things because we all want reassurance that the path we are on is the right one. Where the issue comes in, is when you seek that validation from sidewalkers or slowlaners, because their perception of reality is different, and asking these people will only bring you down. In that sense you need to learn to validate yourself and make a point to only share things with people who wont just bring you down.

I believe this comes from a lack of confidence in one-self and their own abilities. I'm still stuck in it myself. Keen to hear other peoples thoughts on this.
First off, welcome to the forum!

I think you may be onto something. It goes deeper than just buying something, it's like every decision I make I'm always looking for some kind of approval to go for it.

GF: "Where do you want to eat for dinner?"
Me: "I kinda want Taco Bell, does that sound ok? Or would you like something else?"
GF: "JUST PICK A DAMN PLACE!"

Obviously not that extreme but I think you get the point.

Aunt Clyde

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 14, 2018
Long Island, NY
Maybe you can start by asking yourself what the worse case scenario would be if you made a decision to buy something or do something on your own. Are you afraid of making the wrong choice? Are you afraid of people being angry with you?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Maybe you can start by asking yourself what the worse case scenario would be if you made a decision to buy something or do something on your own. Are you afraid of making the wrong choice? Are you afraid of people being angry with you?
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to get into the habit of doing a WCCA when it comes to things like this.

I think it's mostly analysis paralysis.

I tend to want to know everything there is to know before making a decision, so I get in this loop of researching, finding validation, oh look a differing opinion, and researching some more.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Oh come on... you already know the answer...

tonight... we cook.

icy75.jpg

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!