The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to: Multiply $100 from buying/reselling from Craigslist

Kinsey6287

Blazin Fast!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 2, 2009
LOOKS LIKE IT'S A CHALLENGE! WHO'S IN??? READ BELOW!

Fastlaners! I'm back! Been gone for a little while (deployed) but I'm back and with vengeance.

Here is the plan. I have an incredible invention idea that I need a substantial amount of start-up funds in order to build a few prototypes. Here is my plan:

I am going to take $100, and scan my local craigslist for a really good bargain (or two). By the item/s, and then turn around and sell it/them for a quick profit. Because I know cars, car parts, furniture items, and some sporting goods, that is where I will focus my efforts.

With that profit, I'll by another one or two items that are a great bargain and re-sell.

This is mainly just for the fun of it, as I'll be saving on the side to buy the items for my prototypes, but I figured it would be cool to track how you can inflate $100 into more and in what type of time frame. So, here we go.

Each day I'll update as to what I am buying/selling and what my profits are at.

Guidelines/Rules I will go by:

#1 - Only possess one or two items at a time, I'm not trying to become a hoarder. lol
#2 - Only utilize my local chapter of craigslist
#3 - Only use original $100 plus any profits for purchasing further items. (so if I buy a couch for $100 and sell it for $150, then I must use the $150 for the next purchase and no more)
#4 - Only sell what I bought (no grabbing stuff from my garage to sell for more profits to make it seem that I am making more.)
#5 - If the item needs to be cleaned/repaired and you can do it yourself you can, HOWEVER any money used to repair/refurbish it must be from the original $100 and any profits, and MUST BE DONE BY YOU

Stay tuned! :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
wanna make this into a challenge that we can all participate in? :D

Kinsey6287

Blazin Fast!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 2, 2009
wanna make this into a challenge that we can all participate in? :D

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED! lol

Alright, lets do it. I will edit my original post to reflect.

Edit: Can't change the Subject. Can someone change it from "How To" to "Challenge!"?

D

DeletedUser2

Here is a repost on someone doing a craiglist biz. I think its already on this site, but since I clip and keep these kinds of tidbits for business models, then

Some one posted how they get to X income on using Craiglist. Below is the snip i kept from that post

Read........

I’ve got nothing to gain here, there is so much opportunity out there to do this type of stuff in a variety of geographic and demographic. You can do it with $500 or $500,000.

So don’t worry about crossing swords.

A few of the questions:

Q: In your post you indicated that you wrote $500 on each day of the calendar...was that the profit goal for each day?
A: The goal was to essentially buy product that would yield $500 in profit each day, not necessarily buy a certain value amount. For example, you could buy 5 iPad for $100 profit a piece or buy one jet ski that had $500 profit in it. Not so much about volume of transaction, about margin.

Q: you also said that each day you bankrolled him $5000...was his goal to buy $5000 worth of "product" every day? or simply the cash made available to him?
A: No. Not necessarily, but sometimes on big ticket items he needed $5K to jump start the day or a transaction. Only rarely did we consume all $5K, I think maybe once or twice to buy a car.

Q: what was the daily purchasing goal?
A: None.

Q: what was spent gross earning the $17k?
A: $42,000 was the total spend

Q: Is the bread and butter in smaller things like cell phones and computers?
or larger things like used cars?
A: Bread and butter are the following, with stars on the heavy volume items

--$5000 and under passenger cars
--Motorcycles of every price
--Recreation vehicles (Jet skiis, boats, RVs, travel trailers)
--Bicycles of every type, especially high-end offroad and onroad cycles
--Oakley and other brand high-end sunglasses
--Women's purses (ultra-highend only)
--Time Shares, low-end only
--Land (acreage only, no houses)
--Rims and Tires
--Laptops (current models only)
--iPhones, iPads, and all other Apple branded products
--Flat televisions
--Guns
--Safes
--Broken Gold
--Consoles (Xbox, Playstations, etc) and video games
--High-end furniture in excellent condition
--Trailer, car haulers

Q: What kind of mark up are you shooting to attain? 25%? 50%? 100%+?
A:Not necessarily a percentage, just as much as possible. I used this as a guide: $100 or less: double the money. $500 or more, 50% on a 7-day turn rate.

Q: Same city CL relist or nearby city?
A: Same city, unless it was an eBay sale or unless it was much more appropriate out of town (buy a snow blower in Houston, sell it in Minneapolis for example)

Q: Wait a period of time before relisting?
A: Immediately relist it.

Q: What are the best most readily available and easy to sell items?
A: Apple Products, cheap cars and motorcycles

Q: DO you ever get stuck with merchandise that you cant move?
A: Haven’t yet. Sure I will

Q:How can you decide what to pay for items?
A: This is the tough part. Use your mojo, or if you don’t have any mojo then use eBay, it’ generally a good starting point. Don’t buy anything you don’t know what to pay for.

Are you looking to pay half of the going retail or some fixed number?
A: You have to find the right mix for your area. Don’t spend a ton of time trying to figure it out. Just go buy a bunch of stuff and try it out. If you are uncomfortable with that, stick to Apple products only - as they are extremely easy to sell and even easier easy to buy.

Q: Do you test purchases on the premises?
A: Yes

Q:All offers are face to face?
A: This is sort of the magic beans. You don’t want to waste your time running all around town, but at the same time you need to set the expectations for the seller. I don’t have the answer for this, but I will tell you that when I offer $500 for an item worth $1000 over the phone, I almost always get the item for $300 when I show up with cash. Make sense?

Q: $5k total for a month or daily?
A: Again, it’s a function of cash. The more you have, the more you can buy.

Q: Do you lowball people?
A: That's the whole point. 85% of the people will hang up on you. 15% will sell you something. You do the math. If you don't like rejection you'll fail, because it's 85% "go screw yourself" responses.

Brootal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 30, 2009
Virginia
Last edited by a moderator:

Kinsey6287

Blazin Fast!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 2, 2009
Great info guys! Thanks!

First purchase will take place tomorrow. It's a Holley 750cfm double pumper (car carberator) for $75. Found a rebuild kit for it on Craigslist for $15, and figure about $9 in Carb Cleaner. I'll have it rebuilt and posted back up before the end of the night for $200.

I'll let you guys know how it works out.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Good Luck..I think this is a great way to make money.

If I had craigslist when I was 20.. Easy money..

Davidla

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 30, 2009
Colorado, U.S.A
Started buying/selling on craigslist last week :)

So far bought a droid for 90$ sold for 130$ and got an iphone 4 for 290$ set to sell for 370$ tomorrow.
Not sure how I can participate in the challenge because my plan is to work with a larger budget (maybe have the proceeds from the droid separately?), but I'm def keeping an eye on this one

D

Deleted5250X

I started emailing and calling people today. I met for an iphone but didn't buy it I offered $270, I think it'd be good to post to see what price items are actually buying and selling for because I'm not sure what the max I should pay is.

D

DeletedUser394

It's on like donkey kong.

I'm not following your rules exactly but I will stick with the rule of the $100 starting amount.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
As a college student this is what I do so I'm in. I actually just had an item I paid $55 for that I sold for $175(minus fees) on ebay.
Like RyanDrake, I am not going exactly by your runs. I will obviously only start with $100 and not sell anything around the house. But I am not going to just stick with craigslist, just annoying to deal with sometimes.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
hmmm, i want in. i just don't think i have a lot of time to put into this challenge: i have 16 credits, a start-up venture, a video project, kung-fu, and a girlfriend. :p

Davidla

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 30, 2009
Colorado, U.S.A
As a college student this is what I do so I'm in. I actually just had an item I paid $55 for that I sold for $175(minus fees) on ebay.
Like RyanDrake, I am not going exactly by your runs. I will obviously only start with $100 and not sell anything around the house. But I am not going to just stick with craigslist, just annoying to deal with sometimes.

As an unexperienced ebay seller i feel like craigslist is more simple.
I listed an Iphone on both ebay and craigslist to see what sells first and CL won.
I had a non paypal buyer on ebay so I decided not to go with him after researching some common ebay scams.
However, profit margins on ebay seem to be much higher so I'm definitely learning that as well.

hmmm, i want in. i just don't think i have a lot of time to put into this challenge: i have 16 credits, a start-up venture, a video project, kung-fu, and a girlfriend. :p

Get rid of the girlfriend :)

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
As an unexperienced ebay seller i feel like craigslist is more simple.
I listed an Iphone on both ebay and craigslist to see what sells first and CL won.
I had a non paypal buyer on ebay so I decided not to go with him after researching some common ebay scams.
However, profit margins on ebay seem to be much higher so I'm definitely learning that as well.

They both have their pros and cons. eBay/paypal hits you hard with fees. CL doesn't have them. I've also driven to meet people to sell something I had on CL and then they don't want it, so you can waste time. You get a lot ofemails from people trying to scam you on CL so that gets old fast. For me, eBay is simple because I put it up, when it sells I just ship it out. The PO is 2 minutes away so I don't mind.

In all honesty, Amazon was actually the best. Only problem is they do not support sellers very much. I had 1 problem and they kicked me off. I was making way more money on there then eBay or CL. So now I am back on eBay still making money but not as much. Getting kicked off that set me back quite a bit but I'm still making the green stuff so can't complain.

Kinsey6287

Blazin Fast!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 2, 2009
I'm siked to see a lot of you guys joining in. Hope it gets fun for everyone, and most importantly PROFITABLE!

So update: Bought a Holley 750cfm Carb for $75, thought I was going to have to rebuild it. Turns out it's in pretty decent shape, so re-listed for $175, hoping to get $150 for it and double my initial investment and move to the next piece. I'll let ya'll know what it sells for.

How about everyone else? What have you bought/sold???

Giles

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 11, 2007
I do this occasionally with cars. My last deal was a BMW bought for $3100, sold for $3150 (I rushed, and the car presented some issues one I bought it).

Deal before that was a Mitsubishi bought for $500, sold for $2200

Looking for the next one now...

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
Just sold some all weather car mats I had for 150 to finance this little adventure. Then turned around and bought my first iPhone 3g 8gb for $70. Missed a screaming deal on an iPad 2 32gb for 335 figured I could have gotten it for no more then 300 and sold for 400+ easily. Owell that would have been cheating anyways.

Still waiting to sell but I just listed today.

Davidla

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 30, 2009
Colorado, U.S.A
In competition:

100$ started

Droid 130 - 90 (cost) = 40$

Bank roll: 140$.

Bought camera for 55$ set to sell for 90$ tomorrow.

--
Out of competition:

Sold:
Iphone 4: 390 - 290 (cost) = 100$ profit.

Bought:

Iphone 4 for 300, and Htc evo 4g for 130.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
I congratulate you guys, If I was dead broke this is exactly what I would do to make money..

CL is a game changer.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Good Luck..I think this is a great way to make money.

If I had craigslist when I was 20.. Easy money..

I can sure say I love having it at 20. Making more money then my friends who work 40-50 hours a week is great. And you learn a lot more buy/selling then just working. Making a mistake at a job might not effect you but making a mistake with YOUR OWN money, you don't forget them.

To stay updated::
I bought a Bulova watch on ebay for $33 shipped, I think I can pull $100 no problem but I am going to put it up for $150. Also bought a PSP bundle for $62, think I can pull $100-110. That is the stuff I bought using the $100 as in the challenge.

Other things I have bought that I should make good or decent returns on are a Droid X for $83, BB torch for $200, iPhone 4 for $270(could have got it cheaper but I don't like ripping off friends, we both won here). A risk play I took was on some YuGiOh cards, paid $175 for over 4k cards. I can piece them out and easily get that back but it will be a pain. I am trying to sell them as a lot, I think I can triple my money on them though.

MediaMonty

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Oct 4, 2011
Great thread, surprised to see so many people know about this. I've been doing this for a couple of years now, at first I just wanted to make side income and to not have to work a bad part time job, but I ended up making enough to quit college and be on the path to becoming an entrepreneur.

I started with selling game consoles, ipods, smartphones, laptops/computers, but when I got the cash I moved onto selling used cars. Selling used cars can be a hassle due to legal issues, and these can vary from state to state. I really got concentrated on selling used cars that I had to go around and look for a dealer license to rent from. I think in most states, getting a dealer license is necessary if you want to concentrate on buying and selling used cars.

Another way to buy and sell on CL is to buy junk cars. I used to go to a junkyard, and tell them that I buy junk cars regularly and in high volume. This way I can negotiate the price I get for sending junk cars to the junkyard, and they would give me a higher price than usual.

Then I go on CL to look for old broken down cars that are not likely to be sold to someone who actually wants to own and drive it. Most common types of cars are Buicks and Pontiacs. I go to them, try to lowball them for the the car, and tell the owner that a tow truck will come next day to pick it up. I call junkyard and tell them all the information and the car as well as where it's located (address). The yard sends a truck to pick it up and credits me for junking the yard. I pickup the money next time I show up at the junkyard.

Average profit for each car junk is $100.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
i decided that i'm in. i'm going to deal in mostly electronics since i know that market best.

$100 - start - 10/21/2011

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
Well bought a Iphone 3GS for $100 and sold it the same day on ebay for $159.99. After shipping and the fees from ebay and Paypal profit was $40.

As far as why I put it on ebay instead of just putting it on craigslist again.... I feel like even though the fees are crazy for ebay/paypal its probably no more money then its take to drive somewhere to meet a buyer especially when my time is factored in. I can put it on Ebay and then set up the package pickup and pay for postage through USPS.com all in probably 10-15 minutes.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Got the watch and put it up for $145 obo on ebay. Also posted it on CL. Posted the PSP on CL for $125 but no buyer yet. Might lower that price.

As for other items I've sold. Droid X (I was going to use that as my competition start), bought for $82.xx and sold it for $150. Just picked up another today for $80 too. Sold iPhone 4 today for $340 that I bought for $270. Bad ESN iPhone 4 I picked up for $180 sold for(after fee's) for $251.88, still waiting for payment so I guess it doesn't really matter yet. lol

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.