The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to get through the “stuck” feeling?

KJFast

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Dec 8, 2023
Hey guys,

My minds really messy and has been for a while since I realised my last idea which would work in CENTS is a no go.

Since then I’ve just been getting irritated about having no ideas, action-faking and feel like I’m just blocked/at a wall. I don’t know exactly what to do, when I took my focus off entrepreneurism earlier I felt decent but it’s like my focus when I try to focus on what my next biz/project will be just goes haywire.

I know nobody here can give me a blueprint or tell me what my next biz should be. & I want it to be something that comes from me anyway

But how’d people recommend moving through this stage of feeling stuck/blocked/irritated to a place of flow?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Danny Dobrota

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 12, 2023
Romania
Hey guys,

My minds really messy and has been for a while since I realised my last idea which would work in CENTS is a no go.

Since then I’ve just been getting irritated about having no ideas, action-faking and feel like I’m just blocked/at a wall. I don’t know exactly what to do, when I took my focus off entrepreneurism earlier I felt decent but it’s like my focus when I try to focus on what my next biz/project will be just goes haywire.

I know nobody here can give me a blueprint or tell me what my next biz should be. & I want it to be something that comes from me anyway

But how’d people recommend moving through this stage of feeling stuck/blocked/irritated to a place of flow?
I +1 this feeling,
jumping from one idea to another, not wanting to start but wanting to start at the same time, not knowing how to start, not being able to come up with any ideas, looking for any "idea to start on" or "agency to start" etc.

Hope someone gives me a good dose of reality or advice same to KJfast

KJFast

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Dec 8, 2023
I +1 this feeling,
jumping from one idea to another, not wanting to start but wanting to start at the same time, not knowing how to start, not being able to come up with any ideas, looking for any "idea to start on" or "agency to start" etc.

Hope someone gives me a good dose of reality or advice same to KJfast
It’s accompanied by a massive feeling of irritation and feeling of stuckness. I’d also say any action I’ve made lately been action faking, which irritates me more and doesn’t help actually push me to find what it is which I’d actually start on. If I had a good idea, I’d evaluate it and actually start.

Mainly want to get to the stage where things are in a flow and this irritation/stuck feeling goes. Even if I’m evaluating failed idea after failed idea, it’s cool. Fastlane takes time

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Hey guys,

No idea? Follow the proven paths.

Find a niche area and build a SAAS.

Set up E-commerce and the rope of the industry.

They are as uncreatively reliable as the equivalent forms of doctors, lawyers and software engineers in the slowlane.

Anecdotally in and outside of the forum many make it through these two, and likely they are going to beat 80 percent of our totally original ideas.

It’s also easy to find a wealth of information about them.

KJFast

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Dec 8, 2023

They are as uncreatively reliable as the equivalent forms of doctors, lawyers and software engineers in the slowlane.

Anecdotally in and outside of the forum many make it through these two, and likely they are going to beat 80 percent of our totally original ideas.

Hello, appreciate it. What does the rope of the industry mean?

For me it’s mainly that my mind is bogged with choosing something and seems to have hit an intellectual wall. I’m pretty good at evaluating ideas or starting once I choose a direction, so suppose what you’ve said with just going for it in ecom could work as I already know what to expect with ecom too already.

I might just pick a niche and then look for products selling in this niche, start through etsy and see if how I can apply value skews. Infact I’ve chosen this now in my mind and now shall look for a niche & start evaluating then draft “plans”

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Get outside your routine. Go take a 2 week vacation somewhere you wouldn’t normally go to (even better if in another country).

Go try something you wouldn’t normally try. Go talk to people you wouldn’t normally talk to.

Guaranteed you’ll come back with some fresh material outside the circular brain rut that you’re in.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
  • Stop looking for ideas and start looking for problems to solve.
  • Business is an iterative process:
    • What are people already spending money on?
    • Can you improve an already existing product or service?
  • Action is the antidote to feeling stuck - you will only find a path if you start walking.
  • I really like @amp0193 's suggestion: go on an adventure.
  • Training hard gives me amazing insight into life. Most of my questions and problems are solved in the gym.

KJFast

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Dec 8, 2023
  • Stop looking for ideas and start looking for problems to solve.
  • Business is an iterative process:
    • What are people already spending money on?
    • Can you improve an already existing product or service?
  • Action is the antidote to feeling stuck - you will only find a path if you start walking.
  • I really like @amp0193 's suggestion: go on an adventure.
  • Training hard gives me amazing insight into life. Most of my questions and problems are solved in the gym.
Sweet thank you for the advice! I’ve definitely not adventured far lately which has contributed to the stuck feeling for sure.

I’ll take this onboard, just started working out again after being ill

KJFast

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Dec 8, 2023
Get outside your routine. Go take a 2 week vacation somewhere you wouldn’t normally go to (even better if in another country).

Go try something you wouldn’t normally try. Go talk to people you wouldn’t normally talk to.

Guaranteed you’ll come back with some fresh material outside the circular brain rut that you’re in.
I think this is actually a really good suggestion. It was not long after my trip to Netherlands I created my last business.

I have no/very little money so I might message my friends in foreign countries and try get some adventure sorted. Possibly may do a workaway/ something similar for cheap travel.

I live in a very small town so can definitely be hard to find fresh material in my headspace haha.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Who will you help this week?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
On a genuine note, my dad. Otherwise, not a clue. Myself too, getting back to working out and reading.
Glad you're helping your dad.

What are you helping him with? Is it something other people need help with? Is it something other people would pay for?

My point is, you're "looking for ideas", you're "stuck", you're getting back to working out and reading, etc. None of those are about helping anyone.

Google for the famous Zig Ziglar quote about getting anything you want in life. Reply when you find it and let us know what it means to you.

maxfv

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Nov 28, 2023
UK
Hey guys,

Hey G,

I've had the same problem.

I'm doing copywriting for my business, and I felt like I was "stuck" making progress.

I don't know your whole mindset completely, but I know for a fact it's playing a part in you feeling "stuck"

You need to understand that your mindset is the MOST IMPORTANT ASSET to take you from point A, to point B (A.K.A the top.)

I would recommend focusing on your mindset and limiting technology. (Limit the garbage scrolling, or the "productive" time you spend on Twitter or whatever.)

My favorite is going on a walk in nature with a specific problem in mind and ONLY returning back home once you have thought of a solution(s).

This works wonders for me, some people get their ideas from meditating.

If those don't work, I recommend sitting at your whole for a longer period of time.

Truth is, your mind is probably fried that's why you're not getting any ideas, etc.

- MAXFV

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
What's happening here is simple... and it's also common. Being common is great because a lot of folks have overcome it and you will be able to do the same.

The Problem: The reason you can focus on one thing but then when it comes to business that dissipates is because of the uncertainty.

We are pain avoidance creatures, 80% of everything we do is avoiding pain in our life, and that includes the thought of not knowing exactly what to do and/or being able to clearly see a pathway to feedback or response. In this case it would be a sense of acheivement.

This is the same reason some will jump to their email when they get stuck, because there is plenty there to quickly accomplish and feel progress on. Except the reality is, like drugs, it's very short term. You wind up feeling worse after because you haven't progressed on the things you need to, and start feeling anxious about that as well.

The Solution: Stop all the work you are trying to do, take a step back, breathe deep for a minute or so...

Then go somewhere else with a blank peice of paper and define two things.

#1 What exactly you are trying to accomplish on a larger scale (Your destination)

#2 What your next 3 items are in specific that can be accomplished that day.

When you go back to your work area, you will have real clarity on how to feel accomplished and move forward, and it'll already be tied to the big picture meaning max impact.

This is a quick fix method but it can be used whenever you get into this spot.

We have to remove the pain from the same area our desires lie.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
I think this is actually a really good suggestion. It was not long after my trip to Netherlands I created my last business.
Same for me. I left that country with a dozen business ideas, and then chose one to act upon.

KJFast

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Dec 8, 2023
Glad you're helping your dad.

What are you helping him with? Is it something other people need help with? Is it something other people would pay for?

My point is, you're "looking for ideas", you're "stuck", you're getting back to working out and reading, etc. None of those are about helping anyone.

Google for the famous Zig Ziglar quote about getting anything you want in life. Reply when you find it and let us know what it means to you.
Just helped him with dinner and looked after my little sister. Babysitting is a need but lowly paid.

To me, the quote means if you’ve helped someone else achieve their want/need then in return you will naturally be rewarded.

Reading more of 12m to 1mil and finding it very useful. Going to do the brainstorming activities tomorrow

monishkumar

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Feb 5, 2024
Edmonton

I like the SaaS idea. And went down the rabbit hole.

I don't have a problem with building stuff, but how do I find the right people to pay for it? Some examples are welcome.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Just helped him with dinner and looked after my little sister. Babysitting is a need but lowly paid.

To me, the quote means if you’ve helped someone else achieve their want/need then in return you will naturally be rewarded.

Reading more of 12m to 1mil and finding it very useful. Going to do the brainstorming activities tomorrow
What else can you help your dad with that others would pay for?

Clean his car? Mow his lawn? Empty his shed/garage?

KJFast

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Dec 8, 2023
Hey G,

I've had the same problem.

I'm doing copywriting for my business, and I felt like I was "stuck" making progress.

I don't know your whole mindset completely, but I know for a fact it's playing a part in you feeling "stuck"

You need to understand that your mindset is the MOST IMPORTANT ASSET to take you from point A, to point B (A.K.A the top.)

I would recommend focusing on your mindset and limiting technology. (Limit the garbage scrolling, or the "productive" time you spend on Twitter or whatever.)

My favorite is going on a walk in nature with a specific problem in mind and ONLY returning back home once you have thought of a solution(s).

This works wonders for me, some people get their ideas from meditating.

If those don't work, I recommend sitting at your whole for a longer period of time.

Truth is, your mind is probably fried that's why you're not getting any ideas, etc.

- MAXFV
Appreciate it. Will do these this week, starting with tomorrow too

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
I am in the same position.

How about taking a break and forget about money and a business for a little while? Sometimes you need to focus on other things and let your head clear.

Maybe there is something you are neglecting?

In my experience, when I am not thinking about money or chasing ideas is when the opportunities and ideas come to me. Sometimes trying too hard is what screws us up. Especially if you have gone through several ideas and all have failed.

Maybe even reflect on the past and think about what's worked and what hasn't. You have to remember, it is all a process and it moves forward piece by piece. There aren't any shortcuts. Figure out what each piece of the process is and put it together.

In some of my experiences, I tended to skip steps because I wanted to move too fast (or sometimes, because it was new territory for me in the process, I was unaware of all the pieces of the puzzle that I needed).

This is why you need to take a break sometimes. You may discover that you have some bad habits like skipping steps or too many distractions.

As much as it is about learning how to start and build a business, it is also about learning about you.

Ideas and money is all over the place. But if you chase it and try to force it, you might wind up with more frustrations.

KJFast

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Dec 8, 2023
What's happening here is simple... and it's also common. Being common is great because a lot of folks have overcome it and you will be able to do the same.

The Problem: The reason you can focus on one thing but then when it comes to business that dissipates is because of the uncertainty.

We are pain avoidance creatures, 80% of everything we do is avoiding pain in our life, and that includes the thought of not knowing exactly what to do and/or being able to clearly see a pathway to feedback or response. In this case it would be a sense of acheivement.

This is the same reason some will jump to their email when they get stuck, because there is plenty there to quickly accomplish and feel progress on. Except the reality is, like drugs, it's very short term. You wind up feeling worse after because you haven't progressed on the things you need to, and start feeling anxious about that as well.

The Solution: Stop all the work you are trying to do, take a step back, breathe deep for a minute or so...

Then go somewhere else with a blank peice of paper and define two things.

#1 What exactly you are trying to accomplish on a larger scale (Your destination)

#2 What your next 3 items are in specific that can be accomplished that day.

When you go back to your work area, you will have real clarity on how to feel accomplished and move forward, and it'll already be tied to the big picture meaning max impact.

This is a quick fix method but it can be used whenever you get into this spot.

We have to remove the pain from the same area our desires lie.
Appreciate this, will do it today

KJFast

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Dec 8, 2023
What else can you help your dad with that others would pay for?

Clean his car? Mow his lawn? Empty his shed/garage?
We don’t have a lawn, shed or garage haha however: I will do the washing up from breakfast and clean the sink. Surely enough will also do some gardening which others would pay for and may even be an option in my area for a local service based business. Though going to start with flipping now as gives me more freedom and used to selling on ebay.

KJFast

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Dec 8, 2023
Feeling a lot less directionless at the moment. I’ve written down some short and long term goals, feel like I know where I’m going. I’m not feeling as irritated and pressured to “start a biz.” Just flowing with it and allowing everything to take it’s time.

Focusing on selling my last business, working out again and personal health.

Have a clear direction and also a couple ideas for what niches I could brainstorm products for.

Reading 12 months to 1mil has really helped also, given me a clear indication on how to start, properly launch, scale & sell a large business.

Thankful to everyone here who’s given me advice and especially @Kung Fu Steve
Totally right to not pursue that last idea, even though it was CENTS the return and reward for that hard work/investment wouldn’t be worth it. I’m aiming more for the 7 figures+ worth business next so I can create a paycheck pot.

I’m fully set and decided on ecommerce too, I have the connection to make a good shopify store. So it’s a matter of flowing with it and following the steps in 12m-1mil!!

I’m super hyped because I actually feel the direction I’m moving in, can see clear goals and objectives in short and long term. No longer have any frustration!!

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Feeling a lot less directionless at the moment. I’ve written down some short and long term goals, feel like I know where I’m going. I’m not feeling as irritated and pressured to “start a biz.” Just flowing with it and allowing everything to take it’s time.

Focusing on selling my last business, working out again and personal health.

Have a clear direction and also a couple ideas for what niches I could brainstorm products for.

Reading 12 months to 1mil has really helped also, given me a clear indication on how to start, properly launch, scale & sell a large business.

Thankful to everyone here who’s given me advice and especially @Kung Fu Steve
Totally right to not pursue that last idea, even though it was CENTS the return and reward for that hard work/investment wouldn’t be worth it. I’m aiming more for the 7 figures+ worth business next so I can create a paycheck pot.

I’m fully set and decided on ecommerce too, I have the connection to make a good shopify store. So it’s a matter of flowing with it and following the steps in 12m-1mil!!

I’m super hyped because I actually feel the direction I’m moving in, can see clear goals and objectives in short and long term. No longer have any frustration!!

Just remember, anybody who says (or thinks) they've got it all figured out is full of shit.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

You've shown some real business chops, just keep it going!

KJFast

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Dec 8, 2023
Just remember, anybody who says (or thinks) they've got it all figured out is full of shit.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

You've shown some real business chops, just keep it going!
True true. I mean more I have direction now, rather than I’ve “got everything all figured out.”

Definitely still expecting hurdles along the way, though my irritation has completely gone and no longer feel stuck.

Thanks again, when you said to not aim for a business under 30k a month it struck me even harder that if I’m going to work hard on something, let it atleast be something with 7 figure potential

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
still expecting hurdles along the way

Please SEARCH before posting.