The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How To Get The Best Feedback

Marketing, social media, advertising

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I have seen a few feedback posts on TFF recently and it set me thinking about how people usually do it wrong.

Huh? Feedback is feedback isn't it?

No, it isn't.

Let's break it down, it's not rocket science, or (the much more complex) brain surgery, however it should be somewhat analysed and categorised.

So you can either get feedback from family, friends, colleagues or strangers and those people (hopefully) care about you in descending order, whereby your family love you most and strangers couldn't care if you live or die. Most of us believe this is a good guide for asking for feedback, we believe because our families care about us and strangers don't, that this will somehow create a reverse correlation with the quality of advice we get when asking about our projects.

This is patently untrue.

Of course your parent (hopefully) cares more about your feelings than I do, however we both have something in common, we are human beings and therefore contain DNA subjected to the evolutionary pressures of natural selection. Put simply, we are both herd animals and thusly are programmed not to upset the applecart so to speak. In other words, neither of us want to unnecessarily hurt your feelings. So if you rush enthusiastically into a room, eyes wide, wearing a big smile, sweat dripping from your brow and ask, "What do you think of this guys?" Both I, and your parent will say something along the lines of, "I like it, it's cool."

After that point we may, depending on your reaction to our initial response, try and give you some constructive (more honest) feedback, however we will be monitoring your facial expressions and general body language for clues that what we're saying isn't offending/hurting you.

Okay, so simple solution, before asking for feedback tell people you are not afraid of their criticism.

Hmm, yeah, sorry, social interaction doesn't work like that.

Imagine you have a female friend who has just spent a small fortune in the hairdressing salon. She leaves the salon, gets home, looks in the mirror and decides she actually hates the hairstyle and starts to have some very uncharitable thoughts about the stylist.

She calls you up to bemoan her bad luck. "Oh my god! The hairdresser has totally effed up my hair! I don't even want to go out!"

"I'm sure it's not that bad."
You say.

"It is! It was meant to be a reimagining of a 60s beehive, but I just look like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards!"

"You're such a drama queen, I bet you look beautiful as ever."

"I'll prove it, I'm sending you a pic right now."
Your friend says.

She sends over the pick and she's right, it's truly awful. Your friend is attractive, but the hairstyle ages her and isn't symmetrical. However you realise in order to fix it, she'll literally have to get a buzz cut and let it grow back, which she isn't going to do.

"See, I told you! Come on, be honest, I can take it; It's awful isn't it?"

"No! It's not that bad...."

Why didn't you tell her she looks like a weird old granny from sixty years ago?

Okay, maybe one or two of your friends you can be honest with in this way, because you are constantly bantering and ribbing each other, but on the whole, even if someone says "be honest", we won't, because we don't want to hurt feelings.

Alright, get on with it then. What's the right way to ask?

Concentrate on the negatives, instead of asking, "Do you like this?" ask, "What don't you like about this?"

Don't ask "What would you change about this?" Instead ask, "Can you spot any flaws in this?"

Instead of, "Do you think people will like it?" Try, "What potential complaints do you think I'll get?"

By framing all of your questions in the negative, you are sending a subconscious signal to the person you're asking, that you are fine with negative feedback, in fact you welcome it. Which of course, you should. Locking yourself in a "that's awesome!" echo chamber, will probably lead to you making some very costly mistakes.

Also, before you ask, never and I mean never, tell the person you're asking for feedback from, how hard you've toiled on this, it will make it a hundred times harder for them to be honest with you.

BONUS!!

I've just been reading @Beijing's excellent progress thread on going back to the slowlane whilst they build up capital for their business and I saw a way of asking for feedback that never even crossed my mind and it's absolutely brilliant.

Wherever possible, don't even tell the person you're trying to get feedback from, that the product is even yours! Tell them it's from another company/artist/whatever.

By doing so you will alleviate their cognitive burden and honesty will flow forth! Careful though, make sure your skin is thick, because you will get a completely unfettered response, if the thing is crap, they'll tell you and it's up to you not to be hurt by it, because then you probe them further and find out why they think such a thing.

So, go out there and whether you're asking for feedback in a live situation, on this or another forum, use the rules above and give all your questions a negative skew and prepare yourself for a ton of honest feedback.

Much love and good luck!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

Edgar King

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 29, 2021
I have seen a few feedback posts on TFF recently and it set me thinking about how people usually do it wrong.

No, it isn't.

Let's break it down, it's not rocket science, or (the much more complex) brain surgery, however it should be somewhat analysed and categorised.

So you can either get feedback from family, friends, colleagues or strangers and those people (hopefully) care about you in descending order, whereby your family love you most and strangers couldn't care if you live or die. Most of us believe this is a good guide for asking for feedback, we believe because our families care about us and strangers don't, that this will somehow create a reverse correlation with the quality of advice we get when asking about our projects.

This is patently untrue.

Of course your parent (hopefully) cares more about your feelings than I do, however we both have something in common, we are human beings and therefore contain DNA subjected to the evolutionary pressures of natural selection. Put simply, we are both herd animals and thusly are programmed not to upset the applecart so to speak. In other words, neither of us want to unnecessarily hurt your feelings. So if you rush enthusiastically into a room, eyes wide, wearing a big smile, sweat dripping from your brow and ask, "What do you think of this guys?" Both I, and your parent will say something along the lines of, "I like it, it's cool."

After that point we may, depending on your reaction to our initial response, try and give you some constructive (more honest) feedback, however we will be monitoring your facial expressions and general body language for clues that what we're saying isn't offending/hurting you.

Okay, so simple solution, before asking for feedback tell people you are not afraid of their criticism.

Imagine you have a female friend who has just spent a small fortune in the hairdressing salon. She leaves the salon, gets home, looks in the mirror and decides she actually hates the hairstyle and starts to have some very uncharitable thoughts about the stylist.

She calls you up to bemoan her bad luck. "Oh my god! The hairdresser has totally effed up my hair! I don't even want to go out!"

You say.

"It is! It was meant to be a reimagining of a 60s beehive, but I just look like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards!"

Your friend says.

She sends over the pick and she's right, it's truly awful. Your friend is attractive, but the hairstyle ages her and isn't symmetrical. However you realise in order to fix it, she'll literally have to get a buzz cut and let it grow back, which she isn't going to do.

Okay, maybe one or two of your friends you can be honest with in this way, because you are constantly bantering and ribbing each other, but on the whole, even if someone says "be honest", we won't, because we don't want to hurt feelings.

Concentrate on the negatives, instead of asking, "Do you like this?" ask, "What don't you like about this?"

Don't ask "What would you change about this?" Instead ask, "Can you spot any flaws in this?"

Instead of, "Do you think people will like it?" Try, "What potential complaints do you think I'll get?"

By framing all of your questions in the negative, you are sending a subconscious signal to the person you're asking, that you are fine with negative feedback, in fact you welcome it. Which of course, you should. Locking yourself in a "that's awesome!" echo chamber, will probably lead to you making some very costly mistakes.

Also, before you ask, never and I mean never, tell the person you're asking for feedback from, how hard you've toiled on this, it will make it a hundred times harder for them to be honest with you.

BONUS!!

I've just been reading @Beijing's excellent progress thread on going back to the slowlane whilst they build up capital for their business and I saw a way of asking for feedback that never even crossed my mind and it's absolutely brilliant.

Wherever possible, don't even tell the person you're trying to get feedback from, that the product is even yours! Tell them it's from another company/artist/whatever.

By doing so you will alleviate their cognitive burden and honesty will flow forth! Careful though, make sure your skin is thick, because you will get a completely unfettered response, if the thing is crap, they'll tell you and it's up to you not to be hurt by it, because then you probe them further and find out why they think such a thing.

So, go out there and whether you're asking for feedback in a live situation, on this or another forum, use the rules above and give all your questions a negative skew and prepare yourself for a ton of honest feedback.

Much love and good luck!
Never even crossed my mind how much people still want to be polite with their feedback. The story you gave really helped drive things home, thank you!

Qeno

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
May 5, 2022
Lol, and there was me thinking, cool, someone has actually read this

Damn you GPT!
I actually read this and more than once and I have included it in my collection of important excerpts from this forum.

Thank you really much! I like it really much and will implement it in my daily life if it works as expected.

TimoS.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Oct 10, 2022

No, it isn't.

This is patently untrue.

You say.

Your friend says.

BONUS!!

Much love and good luck!
I completely agree with you.

I already assumed that it can't be the best way to ask for direct feedback. I even found myself several times asked and I was holding back on giving my honest opinion. Just as you said you don't want to hurt anybody's feelings.

I will definitely implement your tips in the future. Thanks a lot!

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
632%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
It's tough to get good feedback.

Even if you ask someone and they tell you their honest opinion, you still have problems.

There's a good chance they aren't your target customer anyways. They'll say "that's too much" (they don't have the same need so they don't see the value). Or they'll say "that's dumb" because it's not a problem/desire for THEM.

Even if they ARE your target customer, what percentage of the things you buy are based on logic? HA! It's low. Even if someone THINKS something is bad, they might still buy it, or if they think it's good, might not buy it. It takes an emotionally intelligent person to even predict if they themselves will buy something or not in advance if you asked them. You could hand me a pack of gum with a new design and ask me "would you buy this?" "nah, probably not" because I don't think I would go out of my way to get that gum, but if it was in the isle next to other packs of gum and I was walking by, who knows...I might just grab it and not even know what made me do it. The reasons people do things are weird and deep, and most don't even know what drove them to buy or select one thing over another. They might come up with a reason later that sounds acceptable, but the REAL reason is often unexplainable, embarrassing or offensive.

Take all of the reasons you could get a poor/inaccurate response from someone when asking for feedback. There's probably 50. Now what are the odds that all 50 of those reasons are not present for the answers you're getting? Not good.

Then, take sales on the other hand. Even if our feedback is perfect, we don't trade in feedback. We trade in money, money from sales. And sales are definitive. We got paid or we didn't. The words didn't matter. The feelings didn't matter. The money is in the account and that's all that matters.

I try my best to get my feedback in the form of money hitting my account. If I have to take feedback it's always with a massive grain of salt.

Tomco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 9, 2023
Thanks for the post @Roli!

The way I see it, feedback is critical in anything we do, whether it's launching a huge business idea or just handing in an assignment at school.

As you said, we have grown up to appreciate the feedback received, since as babies and children, we get scolded for the bad and congratulated for the good.

So, later on in life, we are always seeking that 'congratulations' feedback; on the lookout for the next hit of dopamine rush.

Your tips on framing questions negatively are (I think) excellent at rewiring this herd animal programming. You're essentially setting the bar low so others can be more honest and open. Will definitely try it out!

However, as @Johnny boy pointed out, sometimes cold, hard numbers and statistics prove to be a better feedback source.

I guess you just have to tune in to what's relevant in your current situation.

Anyways, that's just my two cents, thanks again for posting :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.