The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Get Rich, by Felix Dennis

For any book discussion

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I think it all depends on the person.

Felix was a Hippie before he was an entrepreneur and ultimately became everything he once hated.

Whilst I have a feeling someone like @Kak, who most likely came out of the womb in a coat and tie, would have a much different view reflecting on his career as an entrepreneur.

He was definitely an artist at heart and probably at some point in his life he realized how much time he had wasted doing something that didn't bring him joy.

Thanks for the tag, MTF. Fascinating topic. I’d love to dig deep into it but first let me start small:

My ambition started with wanting money for my freedom of choices. Now that I’m moderately wealthy, I can confirm your quote text isn’t wrong. Wealth has its challenges. It does not bring happiness. Yet I’m as ambitious as I’ve ever been. Why?

Simple. I’m happiest when I achieve things. My days start with a zero. I feel I must do something because that’s who I am. It can be business, sports, family time, reading etc.

And I find business to be fascinating and challenging all the time. I don’t want or need to be a billionaire. But I do want to see what I’m capable of achieving in my life.

You seem to want to grow in all aspects of life. For Dennis it was mostly, if not primarily, money. For most of his life I don't think he had any other big interests or ambitions besides business.

Wow, what a horrific generalization. Sounds like he surrounded himself with grifters and losers, not to mention a mental framework of paranoia. But then again, weren't "hookers and blow" a regular part of his life?

One man's opinion and experience need not be your truth.

I've never been happier, but then again, I never owned a company with a gazillion employees and a significantly bigger shadow.

You need to keep in mind that his definition of rich was way different than what most people consider rich:

rich.jpg

So for him, being rich started with £75 million in his time (he wrote the book in early 2000s). According to this inflation calculator, £75 million in 2005 would be £119,160,174.30 today so $157,619,001.40.

This is probably 10x what the most successful guys here on the forum are worth so a completely different game with a completely different impact on your lifestyle.

In 2010, his net worth was approximately more than $750 million so yeah, a completely different world (he'd be a billionaire in today's money).

I always say that if you want to be REALLY rich you’ve got to be ruthless - or at the very least your chances are much better if you are ruthless. Meaning that you let nothing stand in your way and stop at nothing to fill up your coffers.

But you must be ruthless in an intelligent way of course… just being ruthless in a stupid way will land you in jail or lead to self-destruction.

Being really rich isn’t the way to heaven, that’s for sure, but if that’s your goal, that’s what it is.

At the highest levels money and power blend together, and there isn’t much of a separation anymore.

Taking an extreme case, like a Saudi prince, you’re having access to so much cash you’d put Bill Gates to shame. Saudi Aramco (the Saudi oil company) is BY FAR the biggest and most valuable company in the world - only that it’s a private company, with shares just in the past few years hitting the market in a semi-privatisation. Market cap of around $2.5 TRILLION.

Having a company like that is literarily having access to a machine that can print as much money as you could possibly want. What that means isn’t yachts, castles, airplanes and what not (though sure, that is included). But what it really means is control over people and nations.

Not that it will make you any happier - I don’t think it will. But unhappiness at that level comes with the territory as Felix Dennis says. You can’t be a happy go lucky fella and hold onto that wealth. No, you need to be a ruthless killer, doing whatever it takes to protect your assets and grow them because you are surrounded by other ruthless killers looking for a moment of weakness to take it all away from you. Meaning the game you’re playing isn’t freedom: it’s power.

Yeah he covered that in the book as well. I think he was as obsessed as you described which contributed to this feelings about having too much money. I don't think he had that much power, though (outside of his companies).

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I find Felix Dennis's book unique in that he wrote a how-to make money book but in reality it sounded more like a call for help and a realization that he spent his life on ultimately meaningless pursuits. This to me was a way bigger lesson than his business tips.
I think it all depends on the person.

Felix was a Hippie before he was an entrepreneur and ultimately became everything he once hated.

Whilst I have a feeling someone like @Kak, who most likely came out of the womb in a coat and tie, would have a much different view reflecting on his career as an entrepreneur.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
For Dennis it was mostly, if not primarily, money.
That explains why he comes off so bitter. My priorities in order of importance:
#1 Family
#2 Health
#3 Business (mostly to allow me to focus on 1 and 2).

Let me tell you that nothing can come close to the feeling happiness like infectious laughter of your kiddo. And yet you must be healthy to ever feel happy.

I did not read his book (and now I won’t)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Consolation

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Sep 6, 2017
Malaysia

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
I read this too long ago to give it a proper fresh review. On top of that, most of the major positive points of the book have already been covered or will be.

Instead of giving a full review, I'll draw attention to a sub-text in this book that I haven't seen others talking about.

Between the real-talk business advice, which most people here are reading for, what kept sticking out to me was his cold realism about it all. I don't mean that in way of the how-to manual being pragmatic about getting results.

The book has a sorrowful, almost regretful tone in many places, like he's drawing out the difficulty and sacrifices as a way of warning people not to try and strike it rich in business.

I don't know if that's my reading into things, but where he talks about the time wasted on hookers and blow and wishing, near the end, that he just had some quiet time and space to write his poetry, I couldn't help but seeing it.
Mate, I also read it when it came out and felt a sadness about his life. I loved the advice but it is a personal choice how far we go to self destruct and we can only make our own choices. He was happy and definitely lived his life as he wanted. You have a great way of reviewing books and thinking unscripted for want of a better phrase. I wish I had been on the forum when I was stuck in the Bay of Islands wandering what to do.

bilkar1985

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Sep 4, 2018
Greece
I've got to say this book is my FAVOURITE!

I have read it 3 times and will read it again. It will be one of the first books my kids will read when they are about 8-9 years old and I don't care how much they will understand.

There are golden nuggets of knowledge and I would like to say to the author that when I read this book I looked for him up in wikipedia (where else hehe). I was so sorry to read he passed away.

He is literaly my role model and EVERYTHING I wish I could be and if I were to choose my father, hehe, dear FELIX it would be you! There, I said it, it's written and I hope that you laugh somewhere in heaven with girls, drugs and rocknroll by your side!

Bones81

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 29, 2019
My Rating: 5 stars out of 5 stars
:star::star::star::star: :star:

Format: Kindle

My thoughts/review:
Was a very good read and written by someone who has walked the walk. As others noted, it was a mix of practical operating advice (e.g. manage your cash flow, never give up ownership) to more philosophical musings (facing your fear of failure, etc.). There are numerous quotes throughout the book that I've highlighted. It was curious that the most important thing that he thought was that the pursuit of wealth was folly given the time required to do it. As in TMF , he emphasizes that time is the most valuable of all commodities and that he would trade all his fortune and more to be young again. The fact that he died several years ago to throat cancer really drove this home.

Favorite (or least favorite) chapter:
The chapter on the perils of wealth and how you should be careful what you wish for.

Key takeaways:
  1. You have to go all-in to make it. No half measures.
  2. Look for the right mountain to mine in
  3. You can give employees a piece of the annual pie but never give them ownership
  4. Hire people smarter than you, keep them happy.
  5. Time is the most precious commodity of all

njord

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Nov 24, 2016
Just read it, Ill give the book 4.5 out of 5 stars.
The book is slightly short but it has some great gold takeaways in it (although i must say i skipped most of his poetry, not my thing just tell me what you mean damit!)

Key take aways;

- If you really want to get rich you will have to really work for it
- Choice your mountain and dont keep looking for greener pastures
- ownership is everything (make sure you own as much of your companys as you possably can)
- hire tallent people smarter then you dont fall in the trap of hiring people like you but rather that fill in your weaknesses

SK1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
321%
Feb 3, 2019
UK
My Rating: 1 stars out of 5 stars
:star:

Not sure if I was one of the few, but I didn't really like the book.

Yes, a few good pieces of advice, but nothing new and nothing that I have not read in TMF .
"Work hard, don't give up, fail and go again, no need to be perfect, take full responsibility, JUST TRY". Yawn....

Must stop wasting time reading books when I should be taking ACTION!

Jello

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 1, 2018
NL
A little late to the party but finished the book last night. Was in the middle of reading some other books too but How to get rich was my reading material before going to sleep.

My Rating:
4 stars out of 5 stars
:star::star::star::star:

Format: paper

My thoughts/review:
I really enjoyed this book. Felix Dennis is in my opinion a born writer and i like the way how he's trying to teach other people howto get rich by telling his life story or at least certain events of his live in a funny, sometimes deadly serious but always witty style.

So many chapters that i liked and by every new chapter i thought this is the best chapter, but then i read the next one and liked that one too. But if i have to choose then i would say the art of negotiating. I liked the thrilling story how he managed to get a deal of a lifetime by setting certain rules. Or at least learned the rules through this deal.

Then there was the chapter Recap of idlers which has a small part about fear nothing. This was for me the most crucial information i got from the book. This part really took to me and opened my eyes. But since it's not a full chapter I'm mentioning it second to the art of negotiation. Still this part of fear nothing and another part where he explains we are all just a blink in the eye of the history of the world on a small planet where one day all life will disappear when the sun fades away and so it really doesn't matter at all what you'll do today so might as well go for it, this part really got me thinking and viewing things differently in a positive way that is.

Key takeaways:
  1. Fear nothing, go for it. It all doesn't matter years from now. Might as well shoot for the stars.
  2. Again like M.J also is mentioning in his books Execution is king, do it today!!
  3. Hire people smarter then you and delegate the important tasks to them. But always keep a eye on everyone and everything. Pay them well in bonuses but never give away a share of the company.
  4. Ownership. Always keep the company in your hands and if you've to share share as little as possible.

Magna

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Dec 17, 2018
bit late but just finished a couple days ago
My Rating:
5 stars out of 5 stars
:star::star::star::star::star:
(The STAR/X emojis are under the emoji icon, under "commenting icons.")

Format:
Paperback and half way through audiobook form

My thoughts/review:
One of the best books I have read not just because of the content also the way it was written. Witty and entertaining and a good pace to it.

The cardinal virtues where it talks about self belief, persistence and making more baskets when you've filled your first one as quickly as possible.

Key takeaways:
  1. Weave "new baskets" fast don't see your first company as a first born child
  2. Hire talent better than you.
  3. When you're walking through hell, keep going.
  4. Make sure to be flexible as well as persistence.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
That explains why he comes off so bitter. My priorities in order of importance:
#1 Family
#2 Health
#3 Business (mostly to allow me to focus on 1 and 2).

Let me tell you that nothing can come close to the feeling happiness like infectious laughter of your kiddo. And yet you must be healthy to ever feel happy.

I did not read his book (and now I won’t)

Ha I would put health first as without health you can't serve your family well (or enjoy it).

I read what you quoted.

It sounds like there was a want in him and that he hadn’t figured out how to be happy.

I don’t know what lessons he learned (from that quoted passage). It all sounds like sour grapes to me.

Here's his main lesson:

Lastly, in any list of reasons not to get rich, we must come to philosophy and the benefits of hindsight. If I had my time again, knowing what I know today, I would dedicate myself to making just enough to live comfortably (say £30 or £40 million), as quickly as I could – hopefully by the time I was thirty-five years old. I would then cash out immediately and retire to write poetry and plant trees.

Making money was, and still is, fun, but at one time it wreaked chaos upon my private life. It blocked me from beginning to write poetry until my early fifties. It consumed my waking hours. It led me into a lifestyle of narcotics, high-class whores, drink and consolatory debauchery. As a philosopher might have put it – all the usual dreary afflictions of the seeker after wealth. These afflictions, in turn, helped to undermine my health.

But like an old, punch-drunk boxer, I couldn’t quit. I always craved just one more massive pay-day. One more appearance under the lights with the roar of the crowd and the stink of the sawdust and leather. One more fight. ‘I can take this young punk. I know I can. Just this once, so I can go out as a winner. So I can retire as the champ. Then I’ll retire. Just this last one.’

Pathetic. I should have known better. There is no such thing as a permanent champ. After all, I co-wrote the first bestselling biography of Muhammad Ali back in 1974. (You’ll find it, republished as Muhammad Ali: The Glory Years on Amazon.com.) And there isn’t a single fan of Muhammad Ali who does not wish he had quit the ring several years before his failing powers made the decision for him.

It’s no excuse, but making money is a drug. Not the money itself. The making of the money. This sounds like so much hooplah, but it’s true, all the same. Nobody believed that exercise could prove addictive until science stepped in and discovered ‘endorphins’ or whatever the damn things are called. And making money, I assure you, is a hell of a lot more of a rush than jogging.

Up to just seven years ago I was still working twelve to sixteen hours a day making money. With hundreds of millions of dollars in assets I just could not let go. Like I said, it was pathetic. Because whoever dies with the most toys doesn’t win. Real winners are people who know their limits and respect them.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Ha I would put health first as without health you can't serve your family well (or enjoy it).

Thinking of priorities isn't ignoring all other priorities. This means that when my family (say my kid) needs me, I'll sacrifice my health. But I prioritize my health for both my family and me! Hence the order of priorities.

When it comes to happiness, I know that when I was poor was unhappy with being poor. And I know people with $100M+ net worth who are bored and unhappy too. Happiness does not correlate with wealth, it is an internal thing. For example, your discomfort club bring me happiness and costs me nothing. My first car brought me freedom and happiness too but cost less than a race bicycle I recently bought.

It is hard to be happy without family, friends, health or money. I keep thinking back to Steven Covey's 7 Habits book... That's one of my all time favorites.

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Aug 8, 2021
Wow! The reviews I wrote in 2019 feels like 10 years ago.

Anyway, this is the book promotions the late Felix Dennis did many years back.

[Youtube] How to Build a Business Empire by Felix Dennis at the London Business Forum

My favourite quote from the video:
My favorite is the last 2 questions when he tells the girl who has a convolutedly phrased question 'The trouble is she has been to university, and I can tell that immediately.' followed by the guy who asks a basic straight to the point question 'Oh perfect, that is a brilliant question.' :rofl:

Besides the point, but the fact he worshipped Jim Slater and Robert Maxwell left an icky feeling in my mouth considering I loved the book.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Warning: a long post ahead...

My Rating:
5 stars out of 5 stars

Format: ebook

My thoughts/review:

By far one of the best business and life advice books I've ever read.

As @rogue synthetic pointed out, it feels like a "how to get rich" book in which the author actually warns you not to get rich, or perhaps only become one of the "lesser rich" or "comfortably rich" according to his definition and then stop focusing so much on making money and focus on other aspects of your life. In the book, there are more lessons from his failures than from his successes.

As he wrote in the book:

The book does have a sorrowful tone in many places, which serves as a good reminder that money is only a tool - and it's more important to know how to use it properly than collect as many tools as possible.

He also emphasizes the importance of health and the foolishness of the flashy millionaire lifestyle (parties, drugs, low-quality women, etc.). As he wrote:

And just to reiterate, here's what he wrote later in the book:

For me personally, it's by far one of the most important, if not the most important lesson from the book. In addition to appreciating your youth (Felix was 59 when he released this book, so he wasn't really that old yet - he probably referred not to youth in general, but youth and health), Felix emphasizes that getting rich didn't actually make him happy:

I have a feeling that after changing his lifestyle (giving up partying, drugs, etc.) he had too little time to create a new lifestyle and get to enjoy it. Given, say, a decade more of his new lifestyle (focused on writing poetry and philanthropy), he would have probably understood that money could have made him much happier - by properly employing this tool for fulfillment instead of a mere status symbol or greed.

This is something which is rarely discussed in most business books. In fact, most don't talk about the life "after" at all, assuming that a reader will know how to manage their new lifestyle. This is untrue - after you accomplish your financial goals, there's no "happy ever after."

It takes a lot of work to figure out how to live your life when you no longer need to worry about money. A lot of people keep seeking fulfillment in making more money, but as Felix warns about it throughout the book, the pursuit of more and more money can taint you. Moreover, it can lead to a perpetual fear of losing it all. All of this leads to stress and problems with mental health - none of which you signed up for when you started pursuing wealth, right?

That's why this piece of advice is so crucial:

Key takeaways:

Here are some of my favorite parts and some comments:

Sounds obvious, yet I really like this advice and his example (which is pertinent to my own situation as a writer). What are your natural talents? How can you exploit them to get rich in your own way?

I heeded his advice when I debated selling one of my businesses. It proved to be a very good decision, so I made a huge return by following just one piece of advice from this book.

Again - none of this matters if you're miserable. Even when focused on making money, don't forget that it's stupid to exchange your sanity for financial wealth.

And in a similar vein:

I love this part because it shows how willing to learn Felix Dennis was. So many people don't enter profitable industries because they don't know anything about them. They forget that they can learn whatever they need along the way - nobody knows anything about their industry until they enter it (even people working in the industry who might have technical knowledge of the industry don't understand the intricacies of running a business in this industry).

Made me understand that (smart) risk-taking is one of the key entrepreneurial traits. People who are too risk averse will never get rich.

5 star review @MTF! Excellent insight into both Denis and the book.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Warning: a long post ahead...

My Rating:
5 stars out of 5 stars

Format: ebook

My thoughts/review:

By far one of the best business and life advice books I've ever read.

As @rogue synthetic pointed out, it feels like a "how to get rich" book in which the author actually warns you not to get rich, or perhaps only become one of the "lesser rich" or "comfortably rich" according to his definition and then stop focusing so much on making money and focus on other aspects of your life. In the book, there are more lessons from his failures than from his successes.

As he wrote in the book:

The book does have a sorrowful tone in many places, which serves as a good reminder that money is only a tool - and it's more important to know how to use it properly than collect as many tools as possible.

He also emphasizes the importance of health and the foolishness of the flashy millionaire lifestyle (parties, drugs, low-quality women, etc.). As he wrote:

And just to reiterate, here's what he wrote later in the book:

For me personally, it's by far one of the most important, if not the most important lesson from the book. In addition to appreciating your youth (Felix was 59 when he released this book, so he wasn't really that old yet - he probably referred not to youth in general, but youth and health), Felix emphasizes that getting rich didn't actually make him happy:

I have a feeling that after changing his lifestyle (giving up partying, drugs, etc.) he had too little time to create a new lifestyle and get to enjoy it. Given, say, a decade more of his new lifestyle (focused on writing poetry and philanthropy), he would have probably understood that money could have made him much happier - by properly employing this tool for fulfillment instead of a mere status symbol or greed.

This is something which is rarely discussed in most business books. In fact, most don't talk about the life "after" at all, assuming that a reader will know how to manage their new lifestyle. This is untrue - after you accomplish your financial goals, there's no "happy ever after."

It takes a lot of work to figure out how to live your life when you no longer need to worry about money. A lot of people keep seeking fulfillment in making more money, but as Felix warns about it throughout the book, the pursuit of more and more money can taint you. Moreover, it can lead to a perpetual fear of losing it all. All of this leads to stress and problems with mental health - none of which you signed up for when you started pursuing wealth, right?

That's why this piece of advice is so crucial:

Key takeaways:

Here are some of my favorite parts and some comments:

Sounds obvious, yet I really like this advice and his example (which is pertinent to my own situation as a writer). What are your natural talents? How can you exploit them to get rich in your own way?

I heeded his advice when I debated selling one of my businesses. It proved to be a very good decision, so I made a huge return by following just one piece of advice from this book.

Again - none of this matters if you're miserable. Even when focused on making money, don't forget that it's stupid to exchange your sanity for financial wealth.

And in a similar vein:

I love this part because it shows how willing to learn Felix Dennis was. So many people don't enter profitable industries because they don't know anything about them. They forget that they can learn whatever they need along the way - nobody knows anything about their industry until they enter it (even people working in the industry who might have technical knowledge of the industry don't understand the intricacies of running a business in this industry).

Made me understand that (smart) risk-taking is one of the key entrepreneurial traits. People who are too risk averse will never get rich.

Excellent review! I'm putting this book on my list immediately :)

mathiagr

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 21, 2018
Great book. Just one thing that caught my interest:

Felix really punctuates the importance of maintaining as much ownership as humanly possible. However I've heard the opposite from other high profile people such Guy Kawazaki who says it's better to have a small ownership in a great company, than a large ownershit in a crappy on. I have to say I'm more with Guy K. on this.

What do you guys think about these opposing views?

Sander

When in doubt, dare.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Mar 19, 2014
I dont agree, ownership is everything!
Look if you can invest 10,000$ in a small company and gain control over it or invest the same 10,000$ in a large company where you have no control but just a small piece of the cake I would allways choice the first choice.

In the second case you have no control and control is one of the fastlane commandments.

What if you got just a small piece of Google 20 years ago?

drleeds

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Jul 2, 2017
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Format:
Kindle

My thoughts/review:
It was surprisingly entertaining.

Ownership

Key takeaways:
  1. Ownership.

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jan 1, 2015
:star::star::star::star: :star:

Format:
Paperback

My thoughts/review:
Damn good book! It goes in-depth into the philosophy you need to have as an entrepreneur . Felix was both an enterprise entrepreneur and a poet(in his later years).
In his later years he found out that he can provide enough value from his poetry and still live well from it. He wished he knew that in his earlier years.
Not everyone can become an enterprise entrepreneur or is willing to make the sacrifices for it.
He was an 4w5 Enneagram imo, which is why his enterprises leaned on the artistic side and also is eccentric.

-

Key takeaways:
  1. Enterprises require sacrifices
  2. Look for early market trends, because investor capital is exuberant
  3. Execution is more important than ideas

Last edited:

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
After a brief conversation with @Mathuin in the random thread I wanted to bump this thread, link back to my review of the book from 2019, and repost my post from the random thread here:

I find Felix Dennis's book unique in that he wrote a how-to make money book but in reality it sounded more like a call for help and a realization that he spent his life on ultimately meaningless pursuits. This to me was a way bigger lesson than his business tips. This isn't something you're going to learn from a neat how-to business books with 7 steps to generational wealth.

This quote shows how bitter he was about his life choices:
I always say that if you want to be REALLY rich you’ve got to be ruthless - or at the very least your chances are much better if you are ruthless. Meaning that you let nothing stand in your way and stop at nothing to fill up your coffers.

But you must be ruthless in an intelligent way of course… just being ruthless in a stupid way will land you in jail or lead to self-destruction.

Being really rich isn’t the way to heaven, that’s for sure, but if that’s your goal, that’s what it is.

At the highest levels money and power blend together, and there isn’t much of a separation anymore.

Taking an extreme case, like a Saudi prince, you’re having access to so much cash you’d put Bill Gates to shame. Saudi Aramco (the Saudi oil company) is BY FAR the biggest and most valuable company in the world - only that it’s a private company, with shares just in the past few years hitting the market in a semi-privatisation. Market cap of around $2.5 TRILLION.

Having a company like that is literarily having access to a machine that can print as much money as you could possibly want. What that means isn’t yachts, castles, airplanes and what not (though sure, that is included). But what it really means is control over people and nations.

Not that it will make you any happier - I don’t think it will. But unhappiness at that level comes with the territory as Felix Dennis says. You can’t be a happy go lucky fella and hold onto that wealth. No, you need to be a ruthless killer, doing whatever it takes to protect your assets and grow them because you are surrounded by other ruthless killers looking for a moment of weakness to take it all away from you. Meaning the game you’re playing isn’t freedom: it’s power.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Andy Black, I feel that you instinctively know the lessons Felix Dennis learned so late in his life.
I read what you quoted.

It sounds like there was a want in him and that he hadn’t figured out how to be happy.

I don’t know what lessons he learned (from that quoted passage). It all sounds like sour grapes to me.

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
Seems like a good book. Just picked it up. Thanks for the reviews guys!

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
Thanks for the recommendation. Purchased earlier and currently reading.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
FYI, the book is restricted on audible for sale to anyone using a linked card based in the US (US users) , tjhe way around this would be to get a card linked to audible from a non restricted country.

Morganvincroft

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 10, 2019
HOW TO GET RICH, by FELIX DENIS

51sZ6oa9-KL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Grab it and read it if you haven't!
https://amzn.to/2EprieI

PLEASE USE THIS REVIEW FORMAT!

My Rating: 4 stars out of 5 stars
:star::star::star::star: :xx:
(The STAR/X emojis are under the emoji icon, under "commenting icons.")

Format:
Audible

My thoughts/review:
Lorem Ipsum
is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

Key takeaways:
  1. Key takeaway #1
  2. Key takeaway #2
  3. Key takeaway #3
  4. Key takeaway #4
Would make for a sure read.I shall be laying my hand on this book soonest.Cheers

The Racing Driver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Apr 20, 2015
UK
And what if you invested in myspace instead of FB? you never know whats going to work or not but With control you at least can do something about it.

Myspace was sold in 2005 for $580 million. If you were one of the co-founders or had significant equity, you'd definitely come out of it very well off.

But yes, no-one really knows until they know. So regardless of whether you own 100% or 10%, you don't want to be on the sinking ship. A lot of the major tech giants have been started by multiple founders. I guess the founders all had some element of control, but not necessarily complete ownership like Felix Dennis advocates.

I guess this all comes down to how you wish to pursue your Fastlane journey. If ownership is your thing, go for it. If you work well with a team, that could work too.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.