The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How To Do An Ez-Curl Bar Bicep Curl

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016
"Breathe out on the way up."

Proceeds to hold his breath for four reps.
A comment like that just made a random video blow up in italy, woman said in the title "Cake without flour" then in the ingredients "ok now we add the flour" Ok boomer.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York
"Breathe out on the way up."

Proceeds to hold his breath for four reps.
I actually am breathing out on the way up, not fully, in short breaths, but i am. FYI i should of lowered the weight a bit... But yea appreciate the dick comment when im just trying to offer value.

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York
A comment like that just made a random video blow up in italy, woman said in the title "Cake without flour" then in the ingredients "ok now we add the flour" Ok boomer.

Would be very cool if that happened haha

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
New to YouTube videos (as you can tell)...But i wanted to provide some value so figured I would post this up here for all the weight lifters.

Good for you producing and publishing. It’s strange talking to a camera, and can be a bit nerve-wracking to put it out there. Keep going.

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York
Good for you producing and publishing. It’s strange talking to a camera, and can be a bit nerve-wracking to put it out there. Keep going.
Yup it is strange but I’ll get used to it. Thanks for the kind words Andy, appreciate it.

ravenspear

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 25, 2016
I actually am breathing out on the way up, not fully, in short breaths, but i am. FYI i should of lowered the weight a bit... But yea appreciate the dick comment when im just trying to offer value.
Work on your sense of humor bro, I doubt that poster was intentionally trying to be a dick with that comment, at least that’s not how it came off to me. It seemed like a YouTube style comment intending to be funny.

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
New to YouTube videos (as you can tell)...But i wanted to provide some value so figured I would post this up here for all the weight lifters.

Congrats for starting.

I hate to be that guy, but how are you going to provide even more value compared to the big "pros" on YouTube such as Scott Herman, AthleanX and so on? Are you targeting a specific group of people or the entire market?

Are you doing this for fun or for a living?

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York
Congrats for starting.

I hate to be that guy, but how are you going to provide even more value compared to the big "pros" on YouTube such as Scott Herman, AthleanX and so on? Are you targeting a specific group of people or the entire market?

Are you doing this for fun or for a living?
My main career is a website developer. I’m looking to make the switch back to PT. - and most “influencers” you see sell digital products and promote only that. I’m just offering ONE ON ONE online personal training. Think of In-home training online. I charge a certain amount per month per client that is cheaper than normal in person PT and scale from there.

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York
My main career is a website developer. I’m looking to make the switch back to PT. - and most “influencers” you see sell digital products and promote only that. I’m just offering ONE ON ONE online personal training. Think of In-home training online. I charge a certain amount per month per client that is cheaper than normal in person PT and scale from there.
Also haven’t mention 90% of trainers that are now going online bc of covid19, do not understand websites and digital marketing like I do and will eventually switch back to in person because that’s what they know and are used to.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I think Joe Wicks is doing really well in the UK at the moment.

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO

Why would I want to breathe out on the concentric part of a movement?

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York

Breathe out when you lift the weight, and breathe in when you lower the weight...Because thats how it's done....

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West

Breathe out when you lift the weight, and breathe in when you lower the weight...Because thats how it's done....

This confused me too. I'm wondering where this advice came from...?

In a standing bicep curl you will want to stabilize your core during the concentric. From everything I know about biomechanics, one should hold their breath during the concentric and eccentric, and breathe at top and bottom.

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
This confused me too. I'm wondering where this advice came from...?

In a standing bicep curl you will want to stabilize your core during the concentric. From everything I know about biomechanics, one should hold their breath during the concentric and eccentric, and breathe at top and bottom.

I'm with you @csalvato. I asked because I'm genuinely curious if @Crissco has a valid reason to back up what he's saying. "Because thats how it's done..." isn't the most convincing answer though.

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York
If I remember correctly holding your breathe like that can cause a stroke

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West

View attachment 32343

the NASM is not a medical journal, or a biomechanics journal. It’s basically an organization put together to sell courses, and most serious strength coaches (ie Olympic coaches) hold it in poor regard.

why? Because that article you posted is pretty much saying “breathe this way because we say so”. It’s not backed up by biomechanics.

When strength training you want your core engaged a while the load is in motion. You can exhale of course, as most olympians willgrunt or exclaim on exertion. But good luck to you exhaling or inhaling while going down in a squat with 300 lbs on your back. In those cases (And in cases where the load is moving away from your center of mass, like curls) you need to valsalva to keep your core stable.

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York
the NASM is not a medical journal, or a biomechanics journal. It’s basically an organization put together to sell courses, and most serious strength coaches (ie Olympic coaches) hold it in poor regard.

why? Because that article you posted is pretty much saying “breathe this way because we say so”. It’s not backed up by biomechanics.

When strength training you want your core engaged a while the load is in motion. You can exhale of course, as most olympians willgrunt or exclaim on exertion. But good luck to you exhaling or inhaling while going down in a squat with 300 lbs on your back. In those cases (And in cases where the load is moving away from your center of mass, like curls) you need to valsalva to keep your core stable.
Shit, now i feel like a bad trainer. But okay i get what you're saying 100%. When i squat heavy i dont breathe like "they say" i hold my breathe and breathe at the top....Time to study some bio mechanics

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Lyle to the rescue!

TLDR: You're both correct!
For general lifting for health or fitness type purposes, I’d probably err on the side of the basic “exhale while lifting, inhale while lowering”. Admittedly there will be some loss of stability but usually basic fitness type lifting isn’t aimed at maximal performance and it would be rare for low repetitions or massively heavy weights to be used. It tends to be less common to see squats or deadlifts in those types of routines and a lot of other movements just don’t require the same degree of IAP/spinal stability.

aka breathing out while you contract is good for the less experienced and most movements

However, once trainees start pursuing more performance oriented goals and assuming that they don’t have any sort of pre-existing issue, mastering the use of the Partial Valsalva during lifting is crucial. Not only will it provide the most spinal safety, it will improve performance during the use of low reps and/or heavy weights in core movements like squat, bench press, deadlift, etc.

aka holding your breath for (most of) a rep when spinal safety is involved, like for squats, is what the pros do.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.