The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to develop your PLAN

savvacon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Feb 12, 2009
North of Toronto
great post here I go with mine:

A:
-love family
-love being healthy
-love learning
-love figuring things out
-love being appreciated

B:
i thought about this for a while and the truth is that I would say thay everything I have ever lusted for I lost interest (at least in some part) almost immediately...

C:
-I really want my own business
-I want my freedom from the corporate bs and daily grind
-I want to be loving and I mean cherishing every moment of my life because it really is a great life

D:
-playing basketball
-drive with a scenic road with my hand out the window on a nice long open road
-go to the beach and relax all day
-splurge on some shopping for me, my wife and the kids
-go on a cruise
-sit with a nice cup of coffee and read a book
-take my wife out for a night in the town
-goof off with old friends
-visit family in Europe
-just sit back and relax without worrying about anything
-feel some passion for life again...

Thats it for me. Good exercise!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Lasty-

What do you mean?

Please elaborate.

Thanks,

-Russ H.

TheLife

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Mar 19, 2008
Walnut Creek, Ca
I have:

Reviewed my core values! Planned for over a year, met with potential partners and went over statistical information until it seemed too good to be true. I forgot that the most difficult part of my task would be action! Russ has said daily, in just about everything that he has ever written, in quotations... "do not confuse motion with action".... I believe that action was required to develop a network of some sort that would assist me through the beginning stages of actually developing my business.

Being frugal was not the problem, Focus, an un-flinching focus on the task at hand was the problem. I flinched just for a sec.. month or so or two then three and found that 6 months later I was back at step one.

Now where do I start with a plan in hand? I have all the information that i need to begin. My only guess is that one assume the role that is to complete those task that will bring one closer to self fulfillment. This is my story Andre Swanson

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Andre-

-Define where you want to go (takes a few days)
-Map out how to get there (takes a few days, or weeks)
-Get a good vehicle for the journey (again, a few days/weeks, total)
-Make sure you have fuel (takes minutes)

then . . .

GO. (don't delay)
:fastlane:

-Russ H.

neverfastenough

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Jul 17, 2008
Ca
Just happened to come across this quote and thought it was pertinent...

“Let me just give you a little advice. Son, a fool with a plan can beat a genius with no plan. And what we’re afraid of is, what your mother and I are afraid of, is that we have a son who is a fool with no plan.”

Thomas Boone Pickens Sr., to his son, who had switched from a medical major to a business major, and wasn’t doing particularly well in either. His son, T. Boone Pickens, went on to have a famous business career

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
A. Who are you, really?

I am a creator at heart. I want to build, but I want to do so on a grand scale. I want to solve millions and millions of peoples' problems with one idea. Somewhere in my habit of looking for big needs to fill, I've happened to find one I feel I would truly love to do.

I want to live a reasonable opulent lifestyle. I do not want a flashy lifestyle, a tawdry or tasteless or excessive one. I want to custom-build my primary residence through a RE company that I found (establish). I want toys that reflect my ability to make my own rules and live my own way. My means of staying grounded will be to never forget what will have afforded me my financial and general freedom. I am 26 years old as of today. I want to reach my retirement between my late 30's and early 40's.

B. Sometimes Wanting is better than Having

Obtaining a driver's license (which I have yet to do) is a major milestone in my life, when with anyone else it is just another thing you have to take care of to move on with life. I have lusted after this privilege for 10 long years. There are numerous reasons it has not come to fruition, but they are little more than excuses. I've always imagined that once I obtained it, I would be ecstatic. Now, since so much time has passed, the experience will be anti-climatic and I will have lost that loving feeling. I'm still going to get it, obviously, because I must have this privilege for the convenience of it.

Drawing from step A, I know in my soul that luxury is who I am. I am very patiently waiting to earn it, but I will be comfortable in my soul when I have it. I am in the extreme minority on these boards with my lifestyle tastes. That is fine. I understand that my tastes are often viewed as childish because of the stigma attached to them. I've, however, explained my view since we were all on the Rich Dad boards. I know in my heart that my excitement about and desire for my standard of living will never fade or disappear entirely.

C. What do I really want?

1) To spend time with my fiancee. Just the two of us, undisturbed, unburdened by the responsibilities of her child (my future stepchild) [I'm not a fan of children, but I'm learning patience because I love my fiancee that much]. I want to share a lifestyle of complete freedom with her. No more j.o.b.s. No waking up on someone else's schedule. No more merging with rush hour traffic. No more waiting for the weekend to enjoy ourselves or run errands because the WEEK has become our new weekend.

2) Goal: for my fiancee to go back to school full-time like she wants. She and I will know that not only can I pay the bills on my own, but we will still have plenty left over for investment and recreation.

3) Become a prolific and legendary entrepreneur. I want my name to be synonymous with greatness, brilliance, innovation, influence, prestige.

Future quotes from admirers:

"You won't believe what this man has created."
"If not for Brandon T., the country would still be in the middle of this and that."
"There would be no ______ without him."
"We just saw this incredible interview with Brandon T. on t.v. last night."

It's not about what people say about me, it is about what I mean to them. It is about what problems I can solve.

4) I want to finally be a master of money so it no longer tells me what to do.

More to come...

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
A few years ago, we decided to make some changes. We wanted to travel for a while.... Hubby wanted to sail, but I wasn't quite ready for that, so we went with a big RV trip instead.

We rented out our house, and gathered up all our possessions for a garage sale. Each family member was allowed to keep only a backpack, and whatever they could fit into it. Everything else was sold. Kitchen appliances, furniture, sports equipment, all of it.

Sitting in the sun that weekend, out in the back yard while people offered 5 cents for some little trinket I used to "love" was very strange. I went through periods of sadness, excitement, and regret.

In the end, there were a few things I could not part with:

Pictures
Books

All those things, along with our really important paperwork were put into a container and stashed away somewhere. Anything that did not sell at the garage sale was taken to the salvation army. Then, we hitched up the travel trailer, piled into the car and took off.

We stopped, literally on our way out of town, and had a good bye BBQ with some friends. Just as we were getting ready to drive away, someone asked how long we were going to be gone. Hubby said "Oh, only about a month." People looked at us like we were crazy. We later realized that it was use of the word "only." Everyone at that BBQ had a job, and were only given 2 weeks in a whole year for vacation time.

We rolled down the road, with all of our worldly possessions right there with us(except our investments). We were in our only car. All that we owned was coming right along behind us in our travel trailer.

Before I started the entire process, I would have thought that eliminating nearly all of our possessions would have been really difficult. At in little moments, here and there, I did have a little pang of sadness. I missed this little trinket or that little what-ever-it-was.

However, the overwhelming feeling I had was one of freedom. You mean.... I can go anywhere? I am not tied down by all of my possessions? I don't have to spend time and money buying, maintaining, cleaning, and walking around them? My home is the world? Checking out some place new is as simple as hitching up and filling the tank? (Oh, and not forgetting the kids)

Eliminating all that clutter is VERY liberating.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
A few years ago, we decided to make some changes. We wanted to travel for a while.... Hubby wanted to sail, but I wasn't quite ready for that, so we went with a big RV trip instead.

We rented out our house, and gathered up all our possessions for a garage sale. Each family member was allowed to keep only a backpack, and whatever they could fit into it. Everything else was sold. Kitchen appliances, furniture, sports equipment, all of it.

Sitting in the sun that weekend, out in the back yard while people offered 5 cents for some little trinket I used to "love" was very strange. I went through periods of sadness, excitement, and regret.

In the end, there were a few things I could not part with:

Pictures
Books

All those things, along with our really important paperwork were put into a container and stashed away somewhere. Anything that did not sell at the garage sale was taken to the salvation army. Then, we hitched up the travel trailer, piled into the car and took off.

We stopped, literally on our way out of town, and had a good bye BBQ with some friends. Just as we were getting ready to drive away, someone asked how long we were going to be gone. Hubby said "Oh, only about a month." People looked at us like we were crazy. We later realized that it was use of the word "only." Everyone at that BBQ had a job, and were only given 2 weeks in a whole year for vacation time.

We rolled down the road, with all of our worldly possessions right there with us(except our investments). We were in our only car. All that we owned was coming right along behind us in our travel trailer.

Before I started the entire process, I would have thought that eliminating nearly all of our possessions would have been really difficult. At in little moments, here and there, I did have a little pang of sadness. I missed this little trinket or that little what-ever-it-was.

However, the overwhelming feeling I had was one of freedom. You mean.... I can go anywhere? I am not tied down by all of my possessions? I don't have to spend time and money buying, maintaining, cleaning, and walking around them? My home is the world? Checking out some place new is as simple as hitching up and filling the tank? (Oh, and not forgetting the kids)

Eliminating all that clutter is VERY liberating.

Sounds like a great trip. How long were you gone? Where did you go and what did you see?

Agreed ATW, it's weird that the things you own eventually come to own you. Many years ago I bought a C band satellite system for the TV. These dishes were about 6 feet across. I was in love with TV and wanted more. No cost was too much. That dish caught all kinds of wind and was constantly out of alignment. Instead of bringing me joy, this dish became a major albatross around my neck. I eventually pulled it out of the ground and sold it for scrap. Freedom.:cheers:

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Sounds like a great trip. How long were you gone? Where did you go and what did you see?

It's been a few years now... but I think we ended up being gone for about 6 weeks. We drove from Montana down through Idaho and Utah. We stopped at many of the national parks in Utah. Spent some time in Moab, Arches, Bryce Canyon and Zion. Then, on to Quartzite (sp) AZ. Did a trade show there (I still had a service business at the time, RV clients). Then over to California - slowly made our way up the coast.... with a dip over to Yosemite. Up to Oregon for a while, and finally back home.

The following winter, we decided to do an extended trip again.... This time in Ensanada Mexico (with side trips to other areas) That one was about a month too.

The year after that... another extended trip. This one also in Mexico. This one was a road trip though. We started in San Diego - Across the border. Slowly made our way allt he way down to the tip of Baja California. One of our stops was San Ignacio Lagoon - where we had an amazing experience with the Grey Whales. (That is where my avitar pic came from). A mama whale w/ a newborn came over and "played with our boat for about 15 minutes. We were able to reach out and touch her several times. She rolled around and did turns. Surfaced on one side of the boat (and I mean... a little boat) then swam right under and surfaced on the other side.

After driving the entire length of Baja, we took the ferry over to the main land and made our way north again. On that side, we took a side trip on a train - up through Copper Canyon. Also a "must see" place. Beautiful.

You can spend your money on "stuff" or on "experiences." Of course, you could spend your money on both.... but we realized that the stuff gets in the way of the experience.

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
AHA!

This is exactly the point where the PLAN thread stalled-- folks who were doing the exercises stopped at the "inventory" and didn't go further.

It seems that you have to really be in the right frame of mind to "shed".

Perhaps you would be interested in sharing your "aha's" with the others by posting to that thread?

Please?

-Russ H.

Russ H, as you requested:

It is difficult to get in the throw-it-out mood, I would highly recomend the following:
I challenge everyone to take out a garbage bag tonight and just walk through your house/apartment and try to fill it with anything you have not touched in the last year or two and do not need. Come back tomorow an let every one know how full you got the bag. You can then put the bag up on the Barter Thread

On another note: Russ H, can you repost the Steps for the Plan, I got lost in the 18 pages of postings. I would like to start the exercise on a road trip I have coming up in a few weeks.:thankyousign:

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
Bump for my self and the newbies. Thought this was a sticky!

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
to save time I wont go into specifics of my lists on part 1 but will share some insights.

a. What I learned here is that my need of helping and contributing far outweighs my desire to be alone. That my solo activities pale in comparison to what I am really about. Much of my time this year was spent solo working on forex and the rest of my life suffered as a result of it. Much of my drive to work independently stems form the jerks I have to deal with at work.

b. No suprises here because I am not all that materialistic. I had one item. A blow up redneck pool that no one uses. I just put it away a couple of days ago. I did however purchase new furniture last year because that is something i have never done and was a reward for buying the house.

c. Once again my least fuflling fun things were my solo activities like watching cartoons. Everything else is done with two or more people either directly or indirectly.

ktzn

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 30, 2009
Munich, Germany
Thanks!

This is an amazing thread Russ H.

I have been working on my plan now and i would like to share it with all of you, it is still a raw draft have to take it up again tomorrow just decided i will go through all 18 pages of this post today.
It will always be a draft. I mean im 20 and im developing every day and things change every day so slight modifications will be added but i will keep you updated.
I will also add a "Goal section" to it, i just need to do some calculations before thats possible.

Any feedback hints, tips, tricks, critisim ANYthing is welcome!

ps. there will be some grammar errors and such please do feel free to ignore them for now :)

Kristian

Step 1: Who am I?
My core values:
Honesty
Being a good friend
Ability to learn every day from every source
possible
Humor
Good health
Happy family
Pushing my limits
Developing myself (both on individual initiative
and from what comes to me in my everyday life)
Being able to walk to the ocean whenever I want

Things I like to be around:

Friends
Family
Cars
Humoristic persons
Persons I feel can give my life more value
Persons with whom I can have a serious conversation
Persons with whom I can open up to no matter the subject
Persons who shares the same interests as me
Cats
Be in south European environment
Bikes (road racer)

Things I like to do:

Travel
Learning
Reading
Driving (car)

Driving (bike, road racer)
Cooking (and experiencing with food and flavors)
Eating a good meal in good company
Dream big
Push my self
Watch Top gear
Networking with old colleagues as well as creating new connections
Meet new people
Laugh
Break down dreams/things and plan how to do them or get knowledge on how they work (technical devices)
Keeping myself updated on the car market
Keeping myself updated with new innovations within Retail/marketing
Watching motorsport (live and in TV)
Talk with my cousins
Listen to music alone
Blogging for my friends and family back in Europe

Buying new clothes

Time since last done
Short
Medium
Long

Sometimes Wanting is better than Having

Remote controlled car, Police force, Different LEGO items, Super Soaker, its just not as fast as in the commercial and I didn’t have the environment to drive around in as you see in the commercials.
Ipod Touch, well it was cool in the beginning but now its just another piece of electronic equipment which is way too overrated. Its an mp3 player with the same number of functions as fancy watch.

What do I REALLY want?

Have a flight certificate and go on a road trip in USA in the air in a small Cessna plane with a good friend. Well being, happy and remembered for what I am and what I do by my closest family but also friends and even the most far away business contacts. Buying my dream house in Tuscany and having 2 dream cars in the driveway one Italian, Lamborghini Murcielago SV 670-4 and the second, German, BMW M5 Touring.

The ability to make a difference, help other people when they need it the most, help my family having some dreams of come through.

Step 2: Taking action

Monitoring expenses:

September 2009
To see these expenses please go to the attached .pdf file for diagram, thank you in advance :)

Questions to be asked before buying stuff:

"Is this essential to my life? My happiness?"

And most important:

"Can I live without this?"

Part 3: Waking up

What would I grab in a fire situation?:

Taken in consideration of what I have here in New Zealand: I would take my passport and my mobile phone. The simple reason for that is that I can survive without my wallet if I have my passport, my money are safely stored in the bank and not under my pillow. I would take my phone because I will need to be able to call for help and also to make a call to a family member to have a talk about what just happened. My pictures from what I have experienced here in New Zealand are all stored in an online album so I would be able to recover them. Other than that I don’t really have that much stuff with me to New Zealand that I wouldn’t be able to let go of.

What would I need if I moved:

Well as of I don’t have that much right now as stated above I will make this a “moving into something newâ€.

I would need a clean kitchen with some good pans and knives because it makes me happy to cook and I enjoy spending time in the kitchen. I would need a computer in order to keep connected with family, friends and colleagues over various networking media,(eg skype, facebook linkedin). The computer should also be capable of run a few games like Formula one games, WTCC and other racing games and first person shooter like Call of Duty and Counter-strike. I will also need a clean but not flashy bath room, I wouldn’t mind if it was too small to do a full 360 degree turn in it, it just have to be functional and clean. I will need a wardrobe for my clothes and jackets as well as a single bed to get a healthy nights sleep. The kitchen should go into a small living room with space for a couch where the mates could sit and have a beer and enjoy a game of soccer.

Inventory

• Samsung mobile (soon to be replaced by a blackberry 9000)
• Big suit case (When traveling around)
• Small Suitcase (for my papers atm)
• Big Sports bag (For soccer)
• Sony digital camera (To remember things i see in life)

• Toilet stuff, shampoo, perfume, tooth brush etc. (could do with cheaper perfume)
• 3 pairs of shoes (1 work 2 casual)
• Skiing equipment (until next skiing season)
• Sleeping back (Got a bed so will not be needed for a while)
• Ipod Touch (rather want a smaller mp3 player)

• Clothes (Every day living)
• Shirts / suits (dress code)
• Important documents eg. Paper which proves my internship at BMW, work visa for New Zealand etc. (For CV and prove that Im allowed to work within New Zealand)

Need
Dont need
(in brackets youll find explanation)

Lessons learned so far:

• I got more money for this month that i had for September, Its nice to start on a fresh account and being able to track every single penny from the beginning.
  • I got more stuff than I need to be happy and keep my day go by.
  • I shouldnt complain.
  • I gave a few T-shirts to the people of Samoa this week just to slim down the wardrope before Im going to get a few new this or next week, and they went for a good purpose.
  • My goal that I had in my head is concerns way more people than i thought of in the beginning.

Soon to come:

• What will my goal cost me, base don average figures that Ill be able to pull from the "interweb".
  • How should my economy look like to meet the basic needs of survival if I lived my dream
  • What would my financial situation look like if I did well living the dream.

Last edited:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Kristian-

Since you had attached your PLAN as a .pdf, I tool the liberty of copying and pasting it into your post (It's really good).

-Russ H.

PS No more parking for you. REP SPEED FOR TAKING THE FIRST STEPS!!! :banana:

ktzn

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 30, 2009
Munich, Germany
Thanks for getting me into gear and on the road with a blistering 10 mph :)

Well I uploaded in .pdf because i was making it in WORD but the word file was larger thant allowed because of the picture of my september spendings.
so for detailed spendings please view the .pdf, other than that, everything is in the post.

I will go through it tonight and make it more readable especially at the Inventory and will probably also add part XX: Goal

ktzn

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 30, 2009
Munich, Germany
Woah! Im feeling great!

this post is pretty much to all of you who hasnt done it so far DO IT! its the best feeling. After you have done it reward yourself by doing a collage, Ive just started and still need lots of elements but here is first draft. Collage draft, still need to add family and other core values but this is just things wich isnt that private and could therefore also be used as avatar :p

But having this 4 pages of Word document with this great collage in the buttom keeps popping to my mind asking: "what could be better, what could i be without" and "why am I where I am" "what did I learn on my way to here, and what is usable for further personel development" and atlast but not atleast "How do i use all this great input to my favor".

I can only recommend having what you write here in this post in a word document aswell or whatever you prefer in order to be able to keep overview, track and make quick changes, because YOU change and your ENVIRONMENT and possibilities changes.

ps. feel free to browse my other pictures in my album, the stories for them are to be found on my blog :)

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Kristian-

It's always great to see someone who truly takes this thread to heart.

There is so much here on this thread-- but most folks just read it and then click on another-- they never DO the exercises.

Being on the fastlane means that you're a DOER, not a WATCHER. This thread is a great "nerd filter"-- it separates the wannabees and posers from the hardcore fastlaners.

A challenge to all who have read this thread but never posted all of the exercises:

-What will happen to you if you DO the exercises?

-What will happen to you if you DON'T do them?

It's the difference between DOING-- and putting your life in gear-- and NOT DOING-- just sitting on the sidelines, watching the cars zip by.

-Russ H.

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
Been on a bit of a sabbatical from the forum, due to family and slow-lane issues, so figured I would jump back in with posting my plan per Russ’s exercises. So here it is so far:

Step I: Core Values and Character

A. Who are you, really?

My Core Values:

Family
Freedom
Learning
Helping Others
Being Happy
Confidence
Contentment
Scout Law (Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean and Reverent)
Unselfish
Being Positive
Fitness
Active
Creativity

Objects I Really Wanted but no longer need/want:

Can’t think of anything

C. What do I really want?

Things I Likes to Be Around:

Nature
Family
Friends
Happy Positive People
Tools
Eccentric People
History
Old Stuff
Good Food
Candy
Live Music
New Places
Guns
Water

D. Fun Stuff

Things I likes to Do:

Time with family
Anything Outdoors
Sports
Woodworking
Redneck Olympics (shooting, axe throwing, blowing things up, mud, cutting trees down…..)
Drinking wine with friends
Antiquing
Traveling
Family Adventures
Swimming
Inventing
Problem Solving
Learning
Conversation
Movies
Painting / Drawing
Collecting
Learning History
Fixing Stuff
Eating
Making Cheese
Date Night
Playing Golf
Reading/listening to books
Drawing Solid Models

Things I likes to Do (sorted):

Currently doing:
Time with family
Anything Outdoors
Inventing
Problem Solving
Learning
Conversation
Movies
Eating
Playing Golf
Reading/listening to books
Drawing Solid Models

Recently but not frequently:
Traveling
Family Adventures

Haven't been doing:
Sports
Woodworking
Redneck Olympics
Drinking wine with friends
Antiquing
Swimming
Painting / Drawing
Collecting
Learning History
Fixing Stuff
Making Cheese
Date Night

Step 2: Taking Action

We have been tracking our finances on a macro level (overall net cash flow) which has helped us greatly realize we are living beyond our income. So know we are going to look at the micro level as Russ suggest to see were we are throwing away $$ to tighten things up. I’ll post after we have done step 2.

At the same time we have been doing a heavy push on getting rid of material stuff that has accumulated over the years as I posted previously.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Bump to da top.

Newcomers-- you are welcome to start from the beginning, and do the exercises.

I will be starting a new thread (PLAN-- Part II) shortly. You will need to have completed all of the exercises in this thread for Part II to make sense/work for you.

I'll be happy to give feedback, if you have questions.

-Russ H.

GuestAcct-10

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 9, 2009
Only just read this thread and I'm so glad I have. It sort of coincides with something which I have been thinking about lately. I thought that E-Biz would be my best option because I spend time on the internet, but I've realised other than research and chatting about cars I only use the internet when I'm bored. I'm currently working on a website with my Dad but I've realised whilst working that I have no interest in coding, in fact its something I find too tedious to concentrate on fully. Once I have finished my current website I will definitely keep working on it because it has massive potential but I know now that either brick & mortar business or real estate is something I would be much more interested in and I've realised that I am in an almost perfect situation for investment in real estate. Anyway... Rep ++ for the original poster.

SuccessInMind

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 3, 2010
Santa Clara, California, United States
Spent the last month working on this plan. It really opened my eyes on my spending habits.

Step 1:

Core Values:

Improving myself everyday in all aspects
Being a good friend
Having freedom to do what I want
Appreciating what I have
Achieving high goals

Friends
Family
Successful people
Determined people
Beautiful girls
Good music
Nice clothes
Nice cars

Things I like to do:

Go online and look up random things
Hang out with my friends
Hang out with my family
Boxing
Camping
Working out

Goals:

Become a millionaire
Be my own boss
Own a variety of businesses
Use my success to help others succeed

Step 2:

Expenses

Eating out-$82.23
Hookah lounge-$53.50
Shopping/groceries-$38.12
Other-$86.70

Total expenses from last month: $260.55
Total income from last month: $243.75

Net loss: -16.80

This exercise really opened my eyes. I found that I really need to know when to say no when it comes to hanging out with friends because a lot of my expenses come from eating out and going to hookah bars.

Step 3:

What would I grab in a fire situation:

My wallet, my phone, and my car.

What would I need if I moved:

-TV
-Laptop
-Important papers
-Bed
-My books
-All my clothes that I have in my dorm

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
SuccessinMind:

Rep speed for DOING! :thumbsup:

-Russ H.

liberty

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 12, 2011
Step 1: Who am I?
My core values:
Honesty, not only with others, but yourself.
Doing things SMART.
Inspiring people.
Caring for the world and nature.
Positivity. Being centered.
Love.
Connection.
Pleasure.
Leading.
Health.
Pushing my Body to the limit.
Art.
Creativity.
FREEDOM FOR ALL.

One of the biggest wastes of my life/money so far has been Video Games of all types. It's all I did as a kid. Didn't even have time for GF or a job, because video games dominated my time. Looking back on it, video games have nothing to do with my values. I should have been outside, playing. Flirting with girls. Joining the football team. Doing F*cking something. Starting a band. Instead, I have a level 80 character in WoW. I've played about 700 games of League of Legends, etc.

Other than that, I've never really had the money to buy things I've wanted. (a mistake on it's own.)

OUTSIDE.
Cityscapes.
Pools, Ocean, Sea.
Trees, Cool birds, animals.
Pleasing sounds.
Gorgeous Babes.
Family.
Friends.

C. Things I like to do.

Go for walks.
Fitness, Nature
Meditate.
Positivity, Centered, Smart.
Laugh with friends.
Connection
See beautiful nature.
Nature, Centered.
Play guitar.
Art, Centered, Connection
Play shows!
Art, Centered, Connection, Leading
Sing.
Listen to music.
Make love!
Art, Centered, Connection, Love, Pleasure
Learn.
Connection, Inspiration, Leading, Smarts
Teach.
Connection, Inspiration, Leading, Smarts
Read.
Smarts
Cooking for myself and others
Fitness, Connection
Work out.
Fitness
Sprint.
Fitness
Jumping over/off stuff.
Fitness

--

This site has inspired me, and I'm absolutely determined to live the fastlane life.

Jcapuano

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Nov 11, 2011
Smithfield, RI
2. A car. Do you need a newer car? Do you tell yourself that the reason you buy a new car is that you can't afford the time lost for the problems with an older car?

Do you actually believe that?

Imagine yourself driving yourself and the family around in a 6 year old mini van. Or a 10 year old Toyota with 80,000 miles on it.

Are you wincing?

If you have already achieved financial freedom, and don't have to work for a living, you can drive whatever your plan allows. It might even be a spiffy new car. Or perhaps even your dream car.

I actually can relate to this step right now, as I currently own (and when I say own I mean I bought it outright) a 2007 Dodge Charger and I am selling it in order to start my business. I worked very hard for it and realize that although it is a bit scary to sell something that I worked so hard for, I would rather drive a POS for 5 years and be a multi millionaire than drive this car that drains my bank account. It's funny because every time I get in it I am less and less impressed with it because all I see is a waste of money. Now I love cars and I never thought I would say that, but it is not my dream car and doesn't really fit anywhere into my plans later on in life. I bought it because it was a good deal and I realize I can potentially make a profit off of it after driving it for almost a year, and I would rather have $20k - $30k to put towards my new business rather than drive it around in college.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.