The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Charge Clients Properly?

Gapple

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Dec 19, 2018
Hey there,

so I started freelancing a year ago and it has been a total disaster. I had difficulties to find clients and I also had huge self-esteem issues that hold me back.

I'm currently doing web development (mostly WordPress, Angular, and general HTML/CSS/Javascript) and when I need to give a price I always doubt myself a lot. On one hand I feel like if I charge more, it's good for me but unfair for the client. On the other hand when I charge less, I feel like I'm a good person because I'm kind with the client, but that's clearly not enough for me. The thing is that when I'm proposing a price often time the client will tell me that some people are proposing much less, therefore I don't know how to put a proper price.

I want to know, how much would you charge a client for:

- a 2 page WordPress website
- a 3 page WordPress website
- a 5 page WordPress website

I recently created a website for a client. It's a 3 page WordPress blog (home page, articles page, and article template), on-page SEO optimization is also included. I charged 100$ for that, but I feel like this is not enough and that $150 should be the minimum. I originally asked for 300$, but the client told me that it was way too much and that some people proposed him 50$ and 100$, so I aligned myself on 100$. However, I doubt the quality that other freelancers would provide where I personally put my soul into my work and give high-quality work.

How do you charge? How would you charge?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
how much would you charge a client for:

That’s like asking how much would you pay for a 2 year old, 3 year old, or 5 year old car.

How long is each page?

Are they supplying the copy and imagery?

If you're supplying the copy then how much are you paying the copywriter? $10, $1k, $10k?

How much are you paying for the graphics or video on the pages? Tens, hundreds, thousands?

Do they need a logo, branding design, marketing advice?

What do those pages do? Is there onpage SEO? Do you have to do research for that?

What plugins do they want/need? How much are those?

Etc.

Etc.

A good price is likely one that the client is happy to pay and you'll be delighted to receive.

Gapple

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Dec 19, 2018
That’s like asking how much would you pay for a 2 year old, 3 year old, or 5 year old car.

How long is each page?

Are they supplying the copy and imagery?

If you're supplying the copy then how much are you paying the copywriter? $10, $1k, $10k?

How much are you paying for the graphics or video on the pages? Tens, hundreds, thousands?

Do they need a logo, branding design, marketing advice?

What do those pages do? Is there onpage SEO? Do you have to do research for that?

What plugins do they want/need? How much are those?

Etc.

Etc.

A good price is likely one that the client is happy to pay and you'll be delighted to receive.

Ok.

The pages are not that long:
  • Home page: just a few sections with text and images, they are also some specify blog posts and recent blog posts displayed
  • Articles: the list of the most recent articles left, a top 10 of the most popular articles on the right
  • Article template: a big image, the title, the author's information, social sharing buttons, and articles suggestions at the bottom
I also created a banner template, that took me several hours to get right.

Currently there is no content, so I added "lorem ipsum..." to fill the void. They will supply the content later. It's similar for the images, they are no images, so I just put images that I found on unsplash for now.

I took care of the basics for SEO (on the pages where it's possible): plugin installation, meta information, image alt tags, etc. I also added an image compression plugin, and a caching plugin (that cost from $49 to $249) for free.

I started with a fresh WordPress installation, I installed all the necessary plugin, the theme was minimal so I built the website appearance from the ground. I also did a little of hosting configuration.

In total, it took me something like ~3 days.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Ok.

The pages are not that long:
  • Home page: just a few sections with text and images, they are also some specify blog posts and recent blog posts displayed
  • Articles: the list of the most recent articles left, a top 10 of the most popular articles on the right
  • Article template: a big image, the title, the author's information, social sharing buttons, and articles suggestions at the bottom
I also created a banner template, that took me several hours to get right.

Currently there is no content, so I added "lorem ipsum..." to fill the void. They will supply the content later. It's similar for the images, they are no images, so I just put images that I found on unsplash for now.

I took care of the basics for SEO (on the pages where it's possible): plugin installation, meta information, image alt tags, etc. I also added an image compression plugin, and a caching plugin (that cost from $49 to $249) for free.

I started with a fresh WordPress installation, I installed all the necessary plugin, the theme was minimal so I built the website appearance from the ground. I also did a little of hosting configuration.

In total, it took me something like ~3 days.
My point was that "it depends".

I'm sure @Fox and others would have some specific input regarding website prices.

This is more of an issue:
I had difficulties to find clients and I also had huge self-esteem issues that hold me back.

If you have difficulties finding clients then you become more desperate to close each lead you have. This is a vicious circle. And yes, folks with low self-esteem often undercharge. The two go hand in hand. If you have low self-esteem then you'll often have difficulties finding clients, and some of the clients you deal with will take advantage of that and negotiate the price down.

Price it so you'd be delighted to get the work. If you agree a price and your shoulders slump then you shouldn't have agreed it for that price. So imagine they accept. Will you feel delighted or deflated?

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018
Hey there,

so I started freelancing a year ago and it has been a total disaster. I had difficulties to find clients and I also had huge self-esteem issues that hold me back.

I'm currently doing web development (mostly WordPress, Angular, and general HTML/CSS/Javascript) and when I need to give a price I always doubt myself a lot. On one hand I feel like if I charge more, it's good for me but unfair for the client. On the other hand when I charge less, I feel like I'm a good person because I'm kind with the client, but that's clearly not enough for me. The thing is that when I'm proposing a price often time the client will tell me that some people are proposing much less, therefore I don't know how to put a proper price.

I recently created a website for a client. It's a 3 page WordPress blog (home page, articles page, and article template), on-page SEO optimization is also included. I charged 100$ for that, but I feel like this is not enough and that $150 should be the minimum. I originally asked for 300$, but the client told me that it was way too much and that some people proposed him 50$ and 100$, so I aligned myself on 100$. However, I doubt the quality that other freelancers would provide where I personally put my soul into my work and give high-quality work.

I totally understand where you're coming from. I've experienced the same self esteem thing firsthand.

There are different ways to price your work. You can charge based on the amount of time it takes, you can add up all the costs involved then mark it up to make a profit, you can look at what others in your niche and at your skill level are charging, or you can charge based on the value to the client (which is the most profitable way to charge). If your client is going to use the website to make X dollars, you can charge a fraction of that which strikes a balance between being a fair and even handsome payment to you, yet you know that the client will still see an attractive ROI.

Anyways, with regard to the self esteem/confidence thing, two things help - one having a good portfolio, and the other is having a steady income stream. If you have a good portfolio, it's easy to justify your prices, and if you have an income stream and you're not desperate for the job at hand, you can share your price then it's either they take it or leave it. If they don't, you know you'll still have lunch tomorrow. If you're really reliant on that job you're trying to win though, then I understand the pressure - if this is the case, try to get to the point of some stability, as that will help with the confidence issue when pitching your price. I think it was @Lex DeVille who says after a discovery call where you take the time to understand their issues and offer your solution - pitch your price and remain quiet and hear what they say.

I'll quote @Andy Black here, as it might help improve your screening process: your job is to figure out asap whether the prospect sees the value in what you do, or the cost.

Also, perhaps reading Andy's inbound materials and Fox's portfolio-building materials might help because I know how competitive your niche can be, and their ideas may offer an advantage.

P.S. About the 'I have another freelancer who's charging less' thing - when I had a crappy selfish mindset years ago and was looking for someone to hire - I used this lie to save a few bucks. I feel bad for doing it in retrospect, especially now that I freelance, I can appreciate being on the other end. Thankfully, I only did it once. Anyways, your prospects too may be lying and trying to manipulate you to lower your prices - and honestly, this might be a red flag that they see the cost, not value.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Anyways, your prospects too may be lying and trying to manipulate you to lower your prices - and honestly, this might be a red flag that they see the cost, not value.
Yep. That's a red flag to me too.

Just last week I had a chat with someone who was a client a while ago. Everything went great until the end when he bleeted about his overall business costs being too high and apologising that he's also speaking to a few other freelancers too. There was no need to tell me any of that unless he was trying to guilt me into quoting a lower price. So I didn't quote but said I was too busy. He sees the cost than the value so I'm best dodging that bullet.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018
I totally understand where you're coming from. I've experienced the same self esteem thing firsthand.

There are different ways to price your work. You can charge based on the amount of time it takes, you can add up all the costs involved then mark it up to make a profit, you can look at what others in your niche and at your skill level are charging, or you can charge based on the value to the client (which is the most profitable way to charge). If your client is going to use the website to make X dollars, you can charge a fraction of that which strikes a balance between being a fair and even handsome payment to you, yet you know that the client will still see an attractive ROI.

Anyways, with regard to the self esteem/confidence thing, two things help - one having a good portfolio, and the other is having a steady income stream. If you have a good portfolio, it's easy to justify your prices, and if you have an income stream and you're not desperate for the job at hand, you can share your price then it's either they take it or leave it. If they don't, you know you'll still have lunch tomorrow. If you're really reliant on that job you're trying to win though, then I understand the pressure - if this is the case, try to get to the point of some stability, as that will help with the confidence issue when pitching your price. I think it was @Lex DeVille who says after a discovery call where you take the time to understand their issues and offer your solution - pitch your price and remain quiet and hear what they say.

I'll quote @Andy Black here, as it might help improve your screening process: your job is to figure out asap whether the prospect sees the value in what you do, or the cost.

Also, perhaps reading Andy's inbound materials and Fox's portfolio-building materials might help because I know how competitive your niche can be, and their ideas may offer an advantage.

P.S. About the 'I have another freelancer who's charging less' thing - when I had a crappy selfish mindset years ago and was looking for someone to hire - I used this lie to save a few bucks. I feel bad for doing it in retrospect, especially now that I freelance, I can appreciate being on the other end. Thankfully, I only did it once. Anyways, your prospects too may be lying and trying to manipulate you to lower your prices - and honestly, this might be a red flag that they see the cost, not value.
Another thought on the last part. If I'm getting a better price somewhere else, I'd tell you 'Thanks Gapple, but I'm getting a better price with someone else and I've decided to work with them. If on the other hand, I'm telling you that I'm getting a better price somewhere else without that decision and I'm waiting to hear what you say, then it means I like/want your work, just not the price. If prospects do that, it might mean one of two things - they either sincerely like your work/want to work with you, or they're just trying to beat you down for a better deal.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018
I'm a big fan of inbound:

I'm sure @Fox and @Lex DeVille cover pricing and mindset in their courses too.

I'm becoming a fan too. It's a little too early to celebrate, but I've been binge reading your posts recently and it's actually changing the way I think and approach my freelancing. I've started reaching out and helping people for free. This week I've already hopped on two calls, and have a third one tomorrow. All free of charge (I'm not ready to take on paid work yet anyway since I'm just learning the skillset.) That said, I still get lots of value from these calls. It's really satisfying when 1) people are waiting for my catch and find that there's none, 2) they really benefit from something I share, and 3) it's building my confidence a ton jumping on calls. (Being a 3rd worlder with an accent, I always thought people would not understand me - I have not had to repeat myself once yet, ha!) Not to mention building hands on experience, portfolio pieces and just outright building relationships. One guy offered to mentor me (he too has a pay it forward mentality) and might link me with others who need what I offer in the future. He's also teaching me how to use linkedin etc. Lots of fun, and every step is reinforcing the inbound mindset! Anyways, sorry to make this so long, I'm just excited, and I'm sure I'll return in a few months with a more thorough testimony! Thanks for all you do and are Andy!

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Pricing is part of your overall strategy which is....what?

An Indian buffet restaurant's strategy is very different from a Michelin Restaurant.

If you decide to provide fine dining you will locate your place in the relevant area, design the place in a certain way, buy in high quality produce and employ a higher level of chef &c, &c and charge accordingly.

The buffet has a different aim and process accordingly.

Neither is more likely to last longer than the other as price is only one small part but in both cases the owner on starting knew where they were headed.

So what vision do you have for yourself and your service forward?

With regards to a person saying 'I was quoted less' you don't need to respond at all in most cases as it was just thrown out on auto-pilot. If they repeat it then deal with it 'Wow, that's a fantastic deal so why didn't you go for it?' The reason is A) It was made up B) If it did happen, the person knew it was a rubbish service/product.

Dan

Gapple

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Dec 19, 2018
You can look at what others in your niche and at your skill level are charging, or you can charge based on the value to the client (which is the most profitable way to charge). If your client is going to use the website to make X dollars, you can charge a fraction of that which strikes a balance between being a fair and even handsome payment to you, yet you know that the client will still see an attractive ROI.

Anyways, with regard to the self esteem/confidence thing, two things help - one having a good portfolio, and the other is having a steady income stream. If you have a good portfolio, it's easy to justify your prices, and if you have an income stream and you're not desperate for the job at hand, you can share your price then it's either they take it or leave it.
Yeah, I also think charging on the value is the best way to charge. But, I'm also confused sometimes when the client start to ask for an endless list of "one more thing".

I consider that I have a good portfolio and I also have an income stream, so I'm not going to die out of hunger.

Was it when dealing with clients? Did you also feel being "bad" for refusing to lower prices when a client asked for it?

That's interesting to read, and yes I think that surely happened to me.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Hey there,

I think you have to really know the space well to understand how your competitors charge. You have to know this so well you can tell your client immediately what kind of work he will get from the guys proposing 50-100 dollar.

Service is different from manufacturing. We are basically converting time and effort into revenue. It is “high margin, low scalability” No one fails by charging too little. Almost all fail by not having enough clients.

My philosophy is to swallow the pride to always charge somewhat lower than the market and grab as much as business share as possible, especially when you are just starting out. Make sure you are always having orders to do things around the clock will ensure that
1) You will survive financially for sure
2) You gain confidence and a decent customer base quickly

When your schedule becomes full, it makes sense to say no to not attractive offers unless your prospect raises the price. Sitting there and do nothing while thinking your client should appreciate you more is a waste of business opportunity.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018
Yeah, I also think charging on the value is the best way to charge. But, I'm also confused sometimes when the client start to ask for an endless list of "one more thing".

I consider that I have a good portfolio and I also have an income stream, so I'm not going to die out of hunger.

Was it when dealing with clients? Did you also feel being "bad" for refusing to lower prices when a client asked for it?

That's interesting to read, and yes I think that surely happened to me.

In the web design world they call this 'scope creep'. The workaround is to detail the scope of the project upfront when you are offering your price. So you're charging $X for Y work - anything more, tell them, 'sure, I'd be happy to do that as well...give me a few hours to work out the cost' or something to that effect. Then send it to them and let them confirm if they want the additional work done.

I experienced the self esteem thing when pitching my prices - on the inside, I felt like I didn't deserve it or that my work wasn't worth it...imposter syndrome. Also, being a third worlder and not being white, I felt an additional inferiority...as if they're only working with 'people like me' because they expect lower prices. I solved this slowly without realizing it by creeping up my price in increments and building my portfolio. Now I charge higher prices that I didn't think I'd ever get paid but it's easy to justify because of my portfolio and well, because I've been paid the same before. As your prices go up gradually and you actually get paid, the self esteem thing will go away. But have a plan. How much are you charging? How much do you want to charge? Maybe you can charge +$10 each job until you reach your target price.

I don't lower prices for clients unless the trade off is that they have a bulk of work...if they do, I'll work out a deal price. If they're trying to get a lower price, I'll move on, because I'm not desperate, and perhaps a bit spoilt...I think to myself 'gosh, I'm used to getting paid $X for this...not really feeling to do all this for two thirds the price.'

Gapple

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Dec 19, 2018
I experienced the self esteem thing when pitching my prices - on the inside, I felt like I didn't deserve it or that my work wasn't worth it...imposter syndrome. Also, being a third worlder and not being white, I felt an additional inferiority...as if they're only working with 'people like me' because they expect lower prices. I solved this slowly without realizing it by creeping up my price in increments and building my portfolio.
That's interesting because I'm not a first worlder, nor a third worlder, and only half white. I'm in between, and I do think that my environment (especially my previous positions in corporations) had a pretty damaging effect on my self-esteem.

Gapple

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Dec 19, 2018
Just to say, it's the first time I start a discussion on this forum, and I'm very satisfied by the answers quality. That's exactly what I need.

Thanks y'all!

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018
That's interesting because I'm not a first worlder, nor a third worlder, and only half white. I'm in between, and I do think that my environment (especially my previous positions in corporations) had a pretty damaging effect on my self-esteem.
On a scale of 1 to 10...If 1 is the worst your self esteem has ever been, and 10 is the presence of your ideal self with your desired self esteem level, where are you now?

Gapple

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Dec 19, 2018
On a scale of 1 to 10...If 1 is the worst your self esteem has ever been, and 10 is the presence of your ideal self with your desired self esteem level, where are you now?
Maybe 5 - 6.

I can contact people, propose my services, communicate properly by voice, negociate a little. But I'm still afraid to negotiate more in my favor when prospects asks for low prices, and afraid to put proper boundaries. And even though, I can live properly as my parents are supporting me I still have difficulties to make an acceptable minimum per month.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018
Maybe 5 - 6.

I can contact people, propose my services, communicate properly by voice, negociate a little. But I'm still afraid to negotiate more in my favor when prospects asks for low prices, and afraid to put proper boundaries. And even though, I can live properly as my parents are supporting me I still have difficulties to make an acceptable minimum per month.
Gotcha. New question. On a scale of 1 to 10, where 0 is being a total doormat, and 10 being your ability to set healthy boundaries (in the specific context we're chatting about), where do you lie?

Gapple

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Dec 19, 2018
Gotcha. New question. On a scale of 1 to 10, where 0 is being a total doormat, and 10 being your ability to set healthy boundaries (in the specific context we're chatting about), where do you lie?

It's probably similar for setting boundaries, 5-6.

I lied in the past about my competencies and experience. I lacked some of them because I'm still young and most people only want experts. I gave some tips when I wasn't sure about their validity to "fill the void" and not create doubts about my skills in the client's mind. I also said multiple times to some people that the price was OK for me where it wasn't the case.

Most of the time, I try to be as honest as possible. One time, I contacted a person and told him that I'm a beginner in SEO, took a course on Udemy and that even if I lack experience I will do my best to evolve and create results. I got the job that way, just with a few lines of pure honesty.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018
It's probably similar for setting boundaries, 5-6.

I lied in the past about my competencies and experience. I lacked some of them because I'm still young and most people only want experts. I gave some tips when I wasn't sure about their validity to "fill the void" and not create doubts about my skills in the client's mind. I also said multiple times to some people that the price was OK for me where it wasn't the case.

Most of the time, I try to be as honest as possible. One time, I contacted a person and told him that I'm a beginner in SEO, took a course on Udemy and that even if I lack experience I will do my best to evolve and create results. I got the job that way, just with a few lines of pure honesty.
Sounds like you've learned the value of honesty. I think honesty is an easy way to set you apart against a landscape of freelancers that overpromise and underdeliver. That said, if a client ever finds out you're lying, you really risk damaging your reputation (particularly on freelance sites). And on some freelancing sites, you really only get one chance.

'I'm still young and most people only want experts' - If it's one thing I'm learning as I overcome my limitations, its that clients only care about one thing...results. If you have a portfolio that shows that you can get them the result, that should overcome concerns that you're young. Plus, you're likely working with the business owners directly...many of them will appreciate that you're young and building a business/clientele yourself as they may be able to empathize with the challenges and the journey.

Yes, sometimes clients want someone who has at least X years experience etc, but that's only because they are using it as a heuristic for judging abilities. However, as you'll know, just because someone has been doing something for long, doesn't mean that they've been doing it well. Find a way to quantify the effects of your services as you build your portfolio, and use that in your proposals. That way, your past results will be the proof that you can get them the result they want - rather than X years experience which is a much rougher correlate.

Two questions:
1) Your primary challenge is setting boundaries with clients in terms of prices, yes?
2) In terms of setting boundaries with clients, you're a 5-6? Does this represent your ability to set boundaries with regard to prices, or boundaries in general?

Gapple

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Dec 19, 2018
Yes, sometimes clients want someone who has at least X years experience etc, but that's only because they are using it as a heuristic for judging abilities. However, as you'll know, just because someone has been doing something for long, doesn't mean that they've been doing it well. Find a way to quantify the effects of your services as you build your portfolio, and use that in your proposals. That way, your past results will be the proof that you can get them the result they want - rather than X years experience which is a much rougher correlate.
That's something that I noticed while I was working as an employee with a team. It's going to sound arrogant, but I felt way ahead of most people in terms of my ability to code. Some people who were 10+ years older than me and with more experience even started to ask for my advices.

Two questions:
1) Your primary challenge is setting boundaries with clients in terms of prices, yes?
2) In terms of setting boundaries with clients, you're a 5-6? Does this represent your ability to set boundaries with regard to prices, or boundaries in general?
1. Yes. And also finding quality clients, but as I understand it goes hand in hand with self-esteem because high self-esteem freelancers find high self-esteem clients which creates a high quality business relationship.
2. Bounderies in general. It's also a little more difficult for me IRL.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Stop freelancing. You are a web design agency. Freelancers are looked at like employees and you'll get paid like one. Agencies get paid like businesses.

Start talking like "we" and "us".

Stop selling by the page.

THEY DON'T GIVE A SHIT. IT'S NOT THEIR JOB TO KNOW HOW MANY PAGES THEY WANT ON THEIR WEBSITE.

They want BUSINESS RESULTS. That's what you're selling.

Talk to them about how to get more customers, what the customers will react best to, and what the best design would be to make that happen so they can achieve their goals, and then charge them 1-3 thousand dollars for it.

Talking about number of pages and then giving them a price based on that COMMODITIZES you.

Never charge per page, per hour, per design, per ANYTHING.

Price the whole thing as one awesome website that'll get them what they're looking for: results. And then charge them thousands for it, and then get it done in two days and stop living like a broke MF.

The only thing that matters now is filtering through the cheap time wasters and getting to the real businesses. Your "gettting in front of people" strategy is the primary focus now. If you say your "getting in front of people" strategy is "word of mouth" then you're a loser. You need to be posting ads, having someone cold call for you, etc. "word of mouth" is just you sitting around jerking off.

Gapple

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Dec 19, 2018
Stop freelancing. You are a web design agency. Freelancers are looked at like employees and you'll get paid like one. Agencies get paid like businesses.
You mean making an identity shift? Not presenting myself as an individual, but as an agency in order to have a better marketing? I see the potential, even though I will not change that much to my structure as I will still be an individual.

Price the whole thing as one awesome website that'll get them what they're looking for: results. And then charge them thousands for it, and then get it done in two days and stop living like a broke MF.

The only thing that matters now is filtering through the cheap time wasters and getting to the real businesses. Your "gettting in front of people" strategy is the primary focus now. If you say your "getting in front of people" strategy is "word of mouth" then you're a loser. You need to be posting ads, having someone cold call for you, etc. "word of mouth" is just you sitting around jerking off.
Is it how you find people who are willing to pay 1K-2K for something that can be done in only a few days? This currently looks difficult for me. It looks like 99% of people are only looking for cheap prices.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Is it how you find people who are willing to pay 1K-2K for something that can be done in only a few days?
Point of this is that you don't bill for hours or pages made.

You bill for the result that company will achieve.
Is making better website for $1k that will convert clients on $10k deals worth being paid?
That's the gist.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
You mean making an identity shift? Not presenting myself as an individual, but as an agency in order to have a better marketing? I see the potential, even though I will not change that much to my structure as I will still be an individual.

Is it how you find people who are willing to pay 1K-2K for something that can be done in only a few days? This currently looks difficult for me. It looks like 99% of people are only looking for cheap prices.
I’ve only met a couple of people that thought a website should cost a few hundred bucks. Most people I’ve sold websites to said I was the cheapest for only doing it for $1,500 and it took me about 9 hours to do.

Gapple

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Dec 19, 2018
I’ve only met a couple of people that thought a website should cost a few hundred bucks. Most people I’ve sold websites to said I was the cheapest for only doing it for $1,500 and it took me about 9 hours to do.
Things are the complete opposite for me. Maybe it's because I'm using freelancing websites like Upwork, PeoplePerHour, etc. where you created an agency?

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Things are the complete opposite for me. Maybe it's because I'm using freelancing websites like Upwork, PeoplePerHour, etc. where you created an agency?
THE NAME IS LITERALLY PEOPLE PER HOUR

Jesus Christ

Yeah maybe don’t use freelancing sites bro

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads