The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How legit is this "David Fogarty" (founder of theoodie.com)?

Guru

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Here's his Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-JHxwWL4-WoqyQIYsBvTbA

He teaches eCommerce and posts videos like this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2ufdGHvxdM

I'm very confused why an entrepreneur with a big brand like his would make all these videos like the rest of those eCom gurus.
His brand is as legit as it can be and was featured in some press mentions.

Is he like Tai Lopez and the rest of the crowd or is he providing all these value because he really wants to help?

This is his brand: The Oodie | Oversized Wearable Blankets & Accessories

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Here's his Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-JHxwWL4-WoqyQIYsBvTbA

I'm very confused why an entrepreneur with a big brand like his would make all these videos like the rest of those eCom gurus.

Is he like Tai Lopez and the rest of the crowd or is he providing all these value because he really wants to help?

That's one person I've been curious about, he apparently has done $270 million in sales with the Oodie being the most successful. His Oodie brand does come across as a trend that will come and go quickly like fidget spinners, or who knows might even go for a long time.

His videos aren't that great in my opinion he talks about winning products in Shopify which almost don't exist. I hate the concept of winning products. It's worse than looking for a needle in a haystack and it's such an old way to go about dropshipping but some people still do that. If you do manage to find a "winning product" you would have ended up blowing so much money, and when that product dies out you are back to square one, never really making any profit.

He doesn't sell any courses. In terms to why he is doing it, he might just want to help people but I personally believe he sees YouTube as a source of easy income.

$MakingMitch

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 26, 2021
I first heard about David through Jordan Welch's youtube channel who also does Shopify dropshipping
David appears to at least know other dropshipping YouTubers and recently did a collab with the Ecom King
So if nothing else other people in that space could probably call him out in the future if he's a fake

He may genuinely want to help other people in Ecommerce
But it's probably a safe bet that he sees YouTube as another source of easy income

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTsj3kiXsw0&ab_channel=JordanWelch

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBUWHa9lHEI&ab_channel=DavieFogarty

$MakingMitch

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 26, 2021
I first heard about David through Jordan Welch's youtube channel who also does Shopify dropshipping
David appears to at least know other dropshipping YouTubers and recently did a collab with the Ecom King
So if nothing else other people in that space could probably call him out in the future if he's a fake

For now he may genuinely want to help other people in Ecommerce
But it's probably a safe bet that he sees YouTube as another source of easy income

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

He may genuinely want to help other people in Ecommerce

How legit do you think this EComKing guy is?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Run it through @lex Deville’s “guru tests” (see his Gold thread on Gurus and imagine what Lex would say about the videos).

My litmus test is to ask myself if MJ, Richard Branson, or your own business hero would watch their videos.

If you don’t think they’d watch their videos then it’s not B2B, which makes it B2C.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
I'm personally not a fan of him at all. All he talks about is winning products, which almost don't exist. And it's one of the worst approaches imo in dropshipping. I honestly question if he has a successful store.

$MakingMitch

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 26, 2021
I have no idea, to be honest, and there may be no way to tell.
Worst-case scenario you waste time watching extra youtube videos.

Best-case scenario you take action towards the Fastlane and other opportunities appear because of your execution.

Either way, it seems that ECom is possible. I keep revisiting this Fastlane post where the guy took action and it worked out for him.

Ari_18

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 16, 2023

I just came across his content, and was researching the same thing.
He claims to have been one of the judges on Shark Tank Australia Season 1, but I see no evidence of that.
Another Guru in my opinion.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
I just came across his content, and was researching the same thing.
He claims to have been one of the judges on Shark Tank Australia Season 1, but I see no evidence of that.
Another Guru in my opinion.
He is on Shark Tank Australia this year.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
I don't know David personally but he's from my home town, a lot of my local contacts have worked with him in different capacities over the years, I've been curious about his latest move into the guru space as well, I'm assuming he's just growing his personal profile, which has led to his Shark Tank role.

Ari_18

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 16, 2023
I don't know David personally but he's from my home town, a lot of my local contacts have worked with him in different capacities over the years, I've been curious about his latest move into the guru space as well, I'm assuming he's just growing his personal profile, which has led to his Shark Tank role.
I was going a bit too far in my head thinking that the videos that come up on googlesearch might be fake, since there were inconsistencies in his instagram and then shark tank was mentioned once only. I would assume its a big accomplishment to be there and you would have it all over your social media page.

Anyways,
Just trying to listen to some people that know what they are talking about in the ecommerce space,
Any recommendations??

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
I was going a bit too far in my head thinking that the videos that come up on googlesearch might be fake, since there were inconsistencies in his instagram and then shark tank was mentioned once only. I would assume its a big accomplishment to be there and you would have it all over your social media page.

Anyways,
Just trying to listen to some people that know what they are talking about in the ecommerce space,
Any recommendations??
His content that I come across seems pretty good, he has a good track record in the space, if you're interested in ecommerce find a product and start selling it, much of what he shares, and others like him might not make a lot of sense until you're in the game.

Another Aussie that's gone down the guru track recently is Simon Beard, he recently sold Culture Kings for about 400 million dollars according to reports.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Simple google search

If he's on Shark Tank for Australia that could mean something. You'd have to dig deep into his background and make your own judgments about him. Transparent people who show proof of a company sale such as Michia Rohression are worth taking a listen to. Evidence is key in my book to whose worth listening to.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
The Oodie and his success with it are legit. His advice about starting a ecom business is similar to others although he does focus more on branding than other ecom people. I consider him less of a guru than others, but he may be slowly turning into one. When YouTubers start getting bigger sponsors like Shopify, their content seems to become forced and generalized. You'll learn more going through the process of starting and running a business than watching videos on how to do it.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
If he's on Shark Tank for Australia that could mean something. You'd have to dig deep into his background and make your own judgments about him. Transparent people who show proof of a company sale such as Michia Rohression are worth taking a listen to. Evidence is key in my book to whose worth listening to.
Guess its up to each individual if they want to do deep dives on people for the purpose of just listening to them, or if they'd rather get a product and start selling.

You'll learn more going through the process of starting and running a business than watching videos on how to do it.

100%.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Guess its up to each individual if they want to do deep dives on people for the purpose of just listening to them, or if they'd rather get a product and start selling.

100%.
What I was suggesting here is that who would you rather learn from, somebody whose actually gone through the trenches or someone who sells a course or program but also doesn't have a lot of experience?

The idea comes from the Paradox of Practice principle. Learn from those who have done it before. I'm not saying the guy isn't legit. The investigation process on your party is to determine if he/she is worth redeemable to take a listen/learn from.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas

Cool store.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.